Forums

✚ Squeeze Support

MacHeist Forums » Support Desk » ✚ Squeeze Support
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

Feel free to ask questions, post support issues, etc. in this thread for fellow MacHeisters and the Squeeze team to help with.

Your inquiries may be better suited for direct support from the developers. If so, use the LateNiteSoft email contact form here.

Please note that Squeeze requires Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

February 26, 2010 1:35 am
juliahoneyman

juliahoneyman

Tinkerer

18 posts

I'm getting the following error: Could not load Squeeze preference pane.

http://grab.by/2GI8

February 26, 2010 1:54 am
melheist

melheist

Sky Pirate

from Atlantis
1,741 posts

Yep. Happening here as well.

Oh, and it shows it in the pref. pane, but when clicked, you get that message.

Edit

It is Snow Leopard only. I need to upgrade. smile Might be the problem here. smile

Of course I'm a mermaid... what did you think? roll

February 26, 2010 1:55 am
LaurentR

LaurentR

Sky Pirate

from Paris / France
1,631 posts

Hello,

One question. How does Squeeze works with Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner ? Are there the compressed files which are backed up ?

Thank you

Twitter
Get your Dropbox smile

February 26, 2010 1:59 am
bobbyt

bobbyt

Tinkerer

from Camarillo, CA
49 posts

I'm noticing a ton of reports in my system log & console...

<Warning>: **** Could not replicate attributes of compressed file [...]

Being I'm trying to compress my iTunes & iPhoto, there seem to be A LOT of these...

-Bobby
Dropbox - 2.25 GB of online space that auto syncs with all your computers!

February 26, 2010 2:26 am
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

Squeeze requires Mac OS X Snow Leopard. This may be causing prefpane startup issues if you're not on it.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

February 26, 2010 2:32 am
rbr

rbr

Automaton Tech

from The Happy, CA
257 posts

phillryu wrote:

Squeeze requires Mac OS X Snow Leopard. This may be causing prefpane startup issues if you're not on it.

I assumed as much.  Soon as I went to the LateNiteSoft's site and read 10.6 only.  Oh well. smile  Thank you, Phill!

PurpleCompadres

February 26, 2010 2:50 am
bobbyt

bobbyt

Tinkerer

from Camarillo, CA
49 posts

The compression I'm getting on my iPhoto and my iTunes folder are almost non-existant...

over 50 GB of files saved me a total of around 25 MB...  That seems kind of low...

-Bobby

February 26, 2010 4:08 am

michaeljames

Tinkerer

from Brooklyn, NY
29 posts

I'm experiencing registration issues. Squeeze successfully connects and checks for updates, but I receive the following error when I attempt to register the pane:

Squeeze was unable to retrieve the license file from the Internet. Please check your connection and try again.

Ideas?

February 26, 2010 4:32 am

mozestygart

Urchin

5 posts

michaeljames wrote:

I'm experiencing registration issues. Squeeze successfully connects and checks for updates, but I receive the following error when I attempt to register the pane:

Squeeze was unable to retrieve the license file from the Internet. Please check your connection and try again.

Ideas?

I seem to be having the same issue... hmm was wondering if it was because of the '+' in my e-mail address, glad to see I am not alone.

I can't wait to test this app out.

February 26, 2010 4:41 am

mozestygart

Urchin

5 posts

bobbyt wrote:

The compression I'm getting on my iPhoto and my iTunes folder are almost non-existant...

over 50 GB of files saved me a total of around 25 MB...  That seems kind of low...

Thought I'd mention that mp3 files (and most picture formats) are compressed already. You won't see (much of) a benefit on them.

February 26, 2010 4:43 am
darkid

darkid

Automaton Tech

419 posts

1) Squeeze 1.0 is the most recent, that's what you have.
2) my email: joe@blackmantravis.org (and no, i don't worry about spam.) has had no errors in confirming statement 1.

“Excuse me, I need to soak my brain in acid now.”
“I took Craft Disturbing Mental Image as my feat last level.”
“Maybe my ears, too.”
—Order of the Stick

February 26, 2010 4:43 am
hsbork

hsbork

Gearhead

from quaqua
66 posts

I had the app running well, with just a few test files and such loaded in with ~400mb of 'savings' reported.  However, after loading in my Documents folder (which is pretty hefty, ~2gb) the program choked.  I received a 'Squeeze Database Load Error,' and all my settings were lost, though the program continued to churn.  I subsequently uninstalled and after a cursory check, my files *seem* intact.

I totally appreciate MH and the LateNite team for the free app, but I think I might wait until this one is a little more mature before I try it again.

me iuvat in prima coluisse Helicona iuventa
Musarumque choris implicuisse manus

February 26, 2010 4:46 am
darkid

darkid

Automaton Tech

419 posts

i suggest waiting for v. 1.5
your serial will still be valid (up until 1.9.9), but the product will have gone through some *serious* testing by then.
Cheers!

“Excuse me, I need to soak my brain in acid now.”
“I took Craft Disturbing Mental Image as my feat last level.”
“Maybe my ears, too.”
—Order of the Stick

February 26, 2010 4:47 am

michaeljames

Tinkerer

from Brooklyn, NY
29 posts

mozestygart wrote:
michaeljames wrote:

Ideas?

I seem to be having the same issue... hmm was wondering if it was because of the '+' in my e-mail address, glad to see I am not alone.

I also use a "+" in my email address as a filtering tool in gmail.

I emailed support at LateNiteSoft. Will share when I hear back.

Looking forward to trying Squeeze.

February 26, 2010 4:48 am
BugSquash

BugSquash

Gearhead

from Houston
80 posts

hsbork wrote:

I had the app running well, with just a few test files and such loaded in with ~400mb of 'savings' reported.  However, after loading in my Documents folder (which is pretty hefty, ~2gb) the program choked.  I received a 'Squeeze Database Load Error,' and all my settings were lost, though the program continued to churn.  I subsequently uninstalled and after a cursory check, my files *seem* intact.

I totally appreciate MH and the LateNite team for the free app, but I think I might wait until this one is a little more mature before I try it again.

Same thing happened here. The folder I was using it on at the time was a few gigabytes. I didn't check the files; i just went ahead and restored them from time machine just to be safe.

I reinstalled it and it worked fine on the same folder. It did say that there was already a previous version installed, though, which is odd since I had supposedly uninstalled it.

By the way, does anyone know if this is compatible with WINE/CrossOver?

February 26, 2010 5:24 am
yunust

yunust

Urchin

from istanbul
3 posts

I got the same registration issue too.

"Squeeze was unable to retrieve the license file from the Internet. Please check your connection and try again."

Requested my registration info from squeeze website again, still not working.

----

Edit: just retried by rewriting email myself, it worked smile

February 26, 2010 5:43 am
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

I too had the database error.  It's now showing far less space saved because it doesn't count what was compressed already.  Also I had a problem where the file didn't seem to be able to be written to.  The console output is this:

2/26/10 1:29:20 AM    SqueezeHelper[67920]    **** Could not replicate attributes of compressed file /Applications/Keynote.app/Contents/Resources/Themes/Classic Silk/Contents/Resources/Previews/Classic Silk_05.jpg, error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x201eb02e0 "You don’t have permission to save the file “Classic Silk_05.jpg” in the folder “Previews”." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted")

When I checked permissions they were drwxrwxrwx on that file and all enclosing folders/packages.  Not sure what's going on there...

EDIT: And I checked on one of the files reported like this (it was a Keynote help file) and it showed that error but it WAS compressed!  (Path Finder shows the size on disk and it was lower than the file size!)  So it seems to be working but just giving these errors.

In any case, great program and I'm sure the bugs will get ironed out fairly quickly!

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

February 26, 2010 6:31 am
DreadedKilla

DreadedKilla

Sky Pirate

from Kelowna
1,164 posts

Snow Leopard only >.< When will the school ever give me a copy of Snow Leopard? They told us they would upgrade us "soon" in October...

February 26, 2010 6:40 am
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

bobbyt wrote:

What makes you think that pre-compressed file formats and compressed music formats would compress much further?

Remember, basic compression rules still apply. Large amounts of text (my source code archives folder) or things with many uncompressed resources (a number of applications you own) will compress a lot better than these formats you tried it on.

Case in point:
http://img.skitch.com/20100226-bh9ue94fnkc2kqqes8a3cu3w5s.png

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

February 26, 2010 6:42 am
yunust

yunust

Urchin

from istanbul
3 posts

Miah, i approach compressing Applications(or any system folder) cautiously, like it will cause unstability, does it make any performance problem, what is your experience?

February 26, 2010 6:53 am
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

Experience is fine. If you want an idea of slowdown, tell me if you noticed any with the apps that came with Snow Leopard. Or any instability. Fact of the matter is that those apps that came with 10.6 were already compressed in the same fashion.

Is there a slowdown? Undoubtedly. But honestly I don't notice it with my naked eye.

That said I would not advise compressing /Library or /System. ~/Library might be fine but I'm not chancing it right now.

February 26, 2010 7:06 am
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

Actually applications tend to start faster for me.  5400 RPM hard drive + 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo = slow reads, fast decompresses.  So the fact that the computer has to decompress everything suddenly doesn't seem to matter compared to the fact that the hard drive now has much less work to do.  Now with an SSD that wouldn't be the case, but then it's so fast already you really wouldn't notice.

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."

February 26, 2010 7:16 am
ProfessorApe

ProfessorApe

Urchin

from Indianapolis
7 posts

Also got the database error. Was compressing my /Applications folder (saved 2.29GB when it choked). Running it again on the same folder, much less savings, only 202MB so far but it's still going. Curse you Adobe and you're unnecessarily bloated programs! That's doesn't even count my ~/Applications folder; I'll be hitting that one next.

February 26, 2010 7:27 am
Andi242

Andi242

Tinkerer

from GER
22 posts

also got errors on adding files of my second partition (my user profile is located there)

other / - folders do work on the first partition

(cant post links yet)

got the blues.

February 26, 2010 7:42 am
bobbyt

bobbyt

Tinkerer

from Camarillo, CA
49 posts

I emailed support, the echo'ed the 'jpg' & 'aac' files are already compressed info...

But the weird thing was I removed iTunes & iPhoto folders from the list, rebooted, logged in with the shift key down, then re-added them...

iTunes saved 60 MB the second time though and iPhoto has now saved over 700 MB...

The 'warning' message in the console/system logs I posted above, I was informed, isn't really an error and will cease being reported as such in an updated version...

-Bobby

February 26, 2010 7:43 am
tamias

tamias

Urchin

5 posts

mozestygart wrote:
michaeljames wrote:

Ideas?

stop  Little Snitch
uninstall Squeeze
remove ~/Library/Preferences/com.latenitesoft.Squeeze.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.latenitesoft.SqueezeHelper.plist
reinstall Squeeze and register

February 26, 2010 8:58 am
Andi242

Andi242

Tinkerer

from GER
22 posts

got answer from LateNiteSoft:
other partitions than the system partitions are excluded because these might be accessed by other OSses or might be ejected.

This restriction might be lifted in later releases.

Got an answer to my request really fast, nice support from LateNitesoft. smile

got the blues.

February 26, 2010 9:59 am
donbenjy@gmail.com

donbenjy@gmail.com

Gearhead

from Birmingham, UK
70 posts

Miah wrote:

Experience is fine. If you want an idea of slowdown, tell me if you noticed any with the apps that came with Snow Leopard. Or any instability. Fact of the matter is that those apps that came with 10.6 were already compressed in the same fashion.

Is there a slowdown? Undoubtedly. But honestly I don't notice it with my naked eye.

That said I would not advise compressing /Library or /System. ~/Library might be fine but I'm not chancing it right now.

Yeah, I noticed on the Squeeze screenshot, they had Applications in there, so I assumed that they were confident about safety here...tbh, if it is a native compression technology, I don't think the OS will have any issues, but I'm not ready to try it on system folders quite yet. 

What is also quite interesting is that its the same compression used in SL apps.  Considering the lack of ability to find hidden prefs, use Interface Builder, etc.  I wonder if that means that someone is/will be developing a tool to "uncompress" these files for that kinda stuff?

Also, what happens with compatibility with other OS's, 10.5, Windows, etc?  Is the compression purely in how the data is stored, so it is expanded when accessed/moved?  Or does it just remove completely superfluous code?

Go Orange GO! big_smile
Buy the MH3 bundle: ttp://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/147656/

February 26, 2010 12:08 pm
macrystal

macrystal

Tinkerer

17 posts

I got around the internet connection error by typing in the Serial manually without Copy and Paste.

February 26, 2010 12:39 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,190 posts

If you're interested, here's some great info on what exactly the compression is all about: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? … 2223042255

In short: Don't stress over compatibility.  Yes you can transfer over a network just fine.  Bootcamp will see it only if you have a modern HFS+ driver in Bootcamp... yes they can be manually uncompressed if you want to (command-line)

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

February 26, 2010 12:42 pm
donbenjy@gmail.com

donbenjy@gmail.com

Gearhead

from Birmingham, UK
70 posts

Nice!  So there shouldn't be any issues at all, unless I wanted to access files directly from my HD on another OS (like in target disk mode), which is unlikely anyway. smile

Anyone tried the whole system yet? I might see what happens once I get my new TM drive...

Go Orange GO! big_smile

February 26, 2010 12:49 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,190 posts

donbenjy@gmail.com wrote:

Nice!  So there shouldn't be any issues at all, unless I wanted to access files directly from my HD on another OS (like in target disk mode), which is unlikely anyway. smile

Anyone tried the whole system yet? I might see what happens once I get my new TM drive...

The article brings up a good point - everything in System that can be safely compressed, is already compressed.  Leave your /System and /Library folders as they are.  Actually I wonder if LateNite has put in some hardcoded exceptions into the app where it will refuse to compress the wrong things?

I didn't try my Applications folder yet, but I did try a Games subfolder off of it... I saved over 4GB!  I didn't think I even had that many games!

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

February 26, 2010 12:59 pm

mozestygart

Urchin

5 posts

tamias wrote:
mozestygart wrote:
michaeljames wrote:

Ideas?

stop  Little Snitch
uninstall Squeeze
remove ~/Library/Preferences/com.latenitesoft.Squeeze.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.latenitesoft.SqueezeHelper.plist
reinstall Squeeze and register

Unfortunately, I am not running little snitch, and tcpdump was showing me I was getting a "valid" reply from the latenitesoft servers.

Anyway, I retried the registration, and it worked this morning.

February 26, 2010 1:14 pm
donbenjy@gmail.com

donbenjy@gmail.com

Gearhead

from Birmingham, UK
70 posts

JMarkevich wrote:
donbenjy@gmail.com wrote:

The article brings up a good point - everything in System that can be safely compressed, is already compressed.  Leave your /System and /Library folders as they are.  Actually I wonder if LateNite has put in some hardcoded exceptions into the app where it will refuse to compress the wrong things?

I didn't try my Applications folder yet, but I did try a Games subfolder off of it... I saved over 4GB!  I didn't think I even had that many games!

Yeah they allude to that in their FAQ section, I would think it would be something worth doing, just to cover themselves

Go Orange GO! big_smile

February 26, 2010 1:45 pm
Ollie N

Ollie N

Big Game Hunter

662 posts

is it still ok to compress apps with pro tools installed?

May the Mac be with you
Get free Dropbox space for both of us!

February 26, 2010 2:24 pm
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,770 posts

jfm429 wrote:

Actually applications tend to start faster for me.  5400 RPM hard drive + 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo = slow reads, fast decompresses.  So the fact that the computer has to decompress everything suddenly doesn't seem to matter compared to the fact that the hard drive now has much less work to do.  Now with an SSD that wouldn't be the case, but then it's so fast already you really wouldn't notice.

Really? This was my concern. Saving space at the cost of slower loading times while things are uncompressed to open. I'm not really worried about saving space, but I would love faster loading. Will that just depend on your computer specs?

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

February 26, 2010 3:01 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

izdale wrote:
jfm429 wrote:

Really? This was my concern. Saving space at the cost of slower loading times while things are uncompressed to open. I'm not really worried about saving space, but I would love faster loading. Will that just depend on your computer specs?

Essentially you have to figure out how fast your disk can read.  Mine can hit 60MB/s at the absolute peak.  (5400 RPM on the latest-model top-end 13" MBP).  Normally it can do about 20 MB/s with small files.  Take BoinxTV for example.  It normally took about 20-25 seconds I think (can anyone confirm this who has it on a equally-spec'd machine?) but now it loads in 13 seconds flat.  Ardour (a Digital Audio Workstation) normally took a long time as well - now it loads in 12 seconds.  (Ardour's .app bundle was initially almost 600 MB - now it's just over 100!!!!!)

February 26, 2010 5:27 pm
Ollie N

Ollie N

Big Game Hunter

662 posts

If i transfer to a new computer will my files still be there?

May the Mac be with you
Get free Dropbox space for both of us!

February 26, 2010 5:34 pm
jinglesthula

jinglesthula

Tinkerer

26 posts

Error when I add a folder:

"Some of the folders you tried to add, were located in volumes different than main, and were removed."

I have two partitions on my HDD.  Will Squeeze only work on the boot volume?  Could this also be caused by having no volume named 'main'?  My volumes are named 'system' and 'files'.

Eschew obfuscation

February 26, 2010 6:26 pm
pedro

pedro

Developer

24 posts

mozestygart wrote:
michaeljames wrote:

Ideas?

Yes, there was a bug in our license retrieval code for emails that contain the '+' character. It was fixed about 6 hours after launch, so everything should be working properly now. My apologies about the inconvenience.

Also, if you use LittleSnitch or any other proxy/firewall apps make sure you allow the single outgoing request that Squeeze will perform to retrieve your license.

February 26, 2010 6:36 pm
pedro

pedro

Developer

24 posts

Regarding performance questions, I already answered in the other Squeeze thread. There is also an entry in our FAQ about it: http://latenitesoft.com/squeeze/FAQ.html#FAQ_03

February 26, 2010 6:42 pm
pedro

pedro

Developer

24 posts

With respect to folders not in the boot volume being rejected, this is what we answered via email to one of the forum members smile

The behaviour you are seeing is intentional. We have tried to be very cautious in order to minimize any inconveniences with a new file-oriented product, and we decided to exclude mounted volumes because they can potentially be mounted or shared by computers that do not run Snow Leopard yet. Since it is the OS itself that uncompresses the files, users of earlier versions of Mac OS (or even users of other operating systems) will not be able to read those files. A similar policy appears to have been adopted by Apple: when you copy a compressed file to any location in the disk, the system will create an uncompressed copy.

In addition to that, having Squeeze work on removable media would prevent those disks from being ejected, and we would need to provide an option so users can safely pause operation on a particular volume.

We definitely plan to lift this restriction in a future release, but we'd like to do so after Squeeze has been out for a while and we have gathered more experience on how it is being used and what problems/limitations people encounter. We also need to design a suitable way in our UI to let users know about these details, so they can safely compress their files when they are sure they won't be needing them in other OSs. Being this the initial release of Squeeze, we decided to concentrate on the core features and keep as much simplicity as we could afford.

In the meantime, I think this deserves to be covered to some extent in our FAQ page, so we'll update it in a couple of days. Thanks for asking about it!

February 26, 2010 6:45 pm
mamiller93

mamiller93

Automaton Tech

197 posts

I have seem to crashed my squeeze. I cannot add anything else to the list of files. I have registered.
When I restart my computer, it goes back to the same amount of "compressed" even though I have compressed a lot more. I'd say around 16 GB worth, however when I restart my computer, it only says 6.something.

Also, when I check the settings pref, it "froze" my compression info. As in, it doesnt change, nor does the amount of compressed change

any solutions? or do I email the dev to ask for help *or ask the dev here big_smile I didnt see you before tongue*

▛▞▞▟  Proud Member of the GREEN Team™  ▙▚▚▜

February 26, 2010 6:50 pm
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

jfm429 wrote:

Take BoinxTV for example.  It normally took about 20-25 seconds I think (can anyone confirm this who has it on a equally-spec'd machine?) but now it loads in 13 seconds flat.  Ardour (a Digital Audio Workstation) normally took a long time as well - now it loads in 12 seconds.  (Ardour's .app bundle was initially almost 600 MB - now it's just over 100!!!!!)

I've noticed my applications load much faster as well, especially MS Word. Boinx launches almost instantly for me, but I'm on the latest gen MacBook Pro.

If I was helpful, consider signing up for Dropbox on my referral.

February 26, 2010 7:39 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

Okay, now I added Developer/Applications to the list, which should be fine.  But it instantly puts the checkmark next to it like it's already scanned it.  Adding any other folder, including one with only a couple megabytes, actually scans.  Any ideas?

February 26, 2010 8:11 pm
jinglesthula

jinglesthula

Tinkerer

26 posts

Thanks, pedro, for the quick response. 

I totally understand about the mounted volumes deal, and agree about the UI, FAQ, and it being a v 1.0 release and all.  Looks like a great product and I look forward to watching it grow.

Eschew obfuscation

February 26, 2010 8:51 pm
MacGizmo

MacGizmo

Automaton Tech

from In your closet
318 posts

I'm sure this is a well-written app, but this is something I'm just not gonna touch with a 10-foot pole. Way too much possibility for headache down the road, if you ask me.

The Graphic Mac for all things Apple, Adobe, Design and the Internet.

February 26, 2010 9:16 pm

I have pressed the 'uninstall' button in Squeeze. Twice. Restarted the computer in between. But, as it seems, Squeeze is still doing its 'thing'. Available disk space in the Finder gradually continuous to increase (without any action from my side), rather than decrease as I'm used to. As said, Squeeze should have been uninstalled, but it wasn't. It's still there in System Preferences, not a single folder or disk in the list to squeeze, and yet retrieving disk space, apparently.
What is going on? How I can I effectively stop Squeeze from whatever it is it's doing?

February 26, 2010 11:52 pm
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

Hit the General tab, turn swithc to "off".

Works here for that.

February 27, 2010 1:15 am
MacHeist Forums » Support Desk » ✚ Squeeze Support

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?