Forums

★ CoverScout

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ CoverScout
Kriana

Kriana

Staff

from Somewhere over the rainbow...
385 posts

Post your thoughts about CoverScout here.

Twitter

March 3, 2010 12:43 am
bobnojio

bobnojio

Tinkerer

from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
20 posts

It tells me I have to make an account for the coverscout designers page.

How do I go about getting the Serial from macheist to work with it? do i HAVE to make an Equinix ID?

SkyNet Development Team -- the robots know more about whats right than we do.

March 3, 2010 1:10 am
jrenfro88

jrenfro88

Tinkerer

16 posts

Im glad this was in the bundle cause I don't think I would pay $40 for this if it wasn't.  It just dosen't do enough for me to be worth $40, it's basically an cover art grabber for iTunes.  The one cool feature it has i've discovered so far is it can merge the cover art into the mp3 file so other programs can see it.

The one thing I don't like is when I went to activate the app it made me register an account with the developer.  I don't want to register, i just want to activate it.

March 3, 2010 1:15 am

rgmurray

Urchin

3 posts

Of course, now when I create this eclipse account, it says it can't reach the licensing server. This is the app that I bought the package for; I bought RipIt a couple weeks ago, and I don't really care about the others.

March 3, 2010 1:25 am
bobnojio

bobnojio

Tinkerer

20 posts

there is NO reason this app's developer needs to know my address, or where im from.

March 3, 2010 1:25 am

SantaIsComing666

Tinkerer

11 posts

Pickpocket: BUYING software works like this.

March 3, 2010 1:29 am
joshuahavener

joshuahavener

Tinkerer

31 posts

I'm getting registration server errors as well... anyone get it to register?

March 3, 2010 1:30 am
bobnojio

bobnojio

Tinkerer

20 posts

SantalsComing666 -- no it doesnt.  i BOUGHT a liscence key to their app, which should be all I need for it to work. but noooooo

March 3, 2010 1:32 am

SantaIsComing666

Tinkerer

11 posts

Yes. Maybe we should stop trying to take away some server load. When 1500 people try to register at the same time it causes problems.

March 3, 2010 1:34 am
drakhul

drakhul

Tinkerer

from Ridgeland, MS
29 posts

There is absolutely NO reason an app developer needs your address.

"Destiny is not a matter of chance,
it is a matter of choice;
it is not a thing to be waited for,
it is a thing to be achieved." - unknown

March 3, 2010 1:35 am

SantaIsComing666

Tinkerer

11 posts

Pickpocket: Whenever I bought software keys, I had to enter an adress for the bill. No matter if Lightroom, 1Password, Things, Launchbar, NetNewsWire, …

March 3, 2010 1:35 am

SantaIsComing666

Tinkerer

11 posts

congratulations! You have successfully created your equinux ID.

March 3, 2010 1:37 am
bobnojio

bobnojio

Tinkerer

20 posts

macheist HAS my address.  i bought the key from them, not through equinux.  Equinux doesnt need my address.

and "Pickpocket" is a title, not my name.  just like you are "White Liar"

March 3, 2010 1:38 am
jrenfro88

jrenfro88

Tinkerer

16 posts

I'm getting errors too.  I'm not too disappointed though cause I get missing cover art on Google.

March 3, 2010 1:39 am

SantaIsComing666

Tinkerer

11 posts

Sorry, I am new to this forum.

Ok, some hints on equinux: The server has problems with long passwords). I successfully created an account, then I was not able to log in. I restored the password through their website and entered a much shorter password. This worked. But still not activated.

March 3, 2010 1:41 am
rahimk

rahimk

Urchin

from Toronto ON
7 posts

lameness abound i dont want a equinox ID. i buy from macheist to avoid exactly this crap. jeez.

http://iRahim.com

March 3, 2010 1:44 am
qqzz

qqzz

Tinkerer

23 posts

For the CoverScout app you need to create an equinux id. Equinux use an online server license management system which stores each members software license in their account. Each time one of their applications are launched it is authenticated from your account. I think the server is just being overloaded with all of the ID's its trying to register at the same time. I would just be patient and try again.

March 3, 2010 1:53 am
jonault

jonault

Urchin

from Missouri
9 posts

qqzz wrote:

Each time one of their applications are launched it is authenticated from your account.

You've got to be kidding. You mean every single time I run CoverScout I have to sit through this app phoning home to ask "Mother, may I?". And every time their server gets the vapors (like this evening) I won't be able to use the program I purchased (like this evening)?

/headdesk
/headdesk
/headdesk

"Did you know your robot can hum like Pink Floyd?"

March 3, 2010 1:59 am
qqzz

qqzz

Tinkerer

23 posts

jonault wrote:
qqzz wrote:

Each time one of their applications are launched it is authenticated from your account.

You've got to be kidding. You mean every single time I run CoverScout I have to sit through this app phoning home to ask "Mother, may I?". And every time their server gets the vapors (like this evening) I won't be able to use the program I purchased?

/headdesk
/headdesk
/headdesk

Hasn't been an issue for me in the past. I have used some of their other applications and if it has successfully "phoned home" in the past" it seems to work just fine. You don't have to go through entering your equinux id each time you want to use the application. As long as your computer allows connections to equinux.com you should be fine. All it really is, is a license management system and if you were yo loose/forget your serial or change computers this is how you would recover you serial or authenticate your new system.  At the moment there is just a bump in the road, I assume because over 1,900 people are trying to create and register the application and the server is being overloaded. I guess equinux didn't prepare for such a large number of Macheisters trying to register with them. smile

March 3, 2010 2:13 am

suomichris

Automaton Tech

222 posts

Anyone know how licensing works if you have other Equinux products? I have iSale from a previous bundle; I entered the same registration details for this bundle purchase, but the license for CoverScout doesn't show up on my Equinux account.  Do I need to create a new account for this license?

March 3, 2010 2:22 am
qqzz

qqzz

Tinkerer

23 posts

suomichris wrote:

Anyone know how licensing works if you have other Equinux products? I have iSale from a previous bundle; I entered the same registration details for this bundle purchase, but the license for CoverScout doesn't show up on my Equinux account.  Do I need to create a new account for this license?

If you go to www.equinux.com and login to your account. Go to your licenses and scroll to the bottom. There should be section where you can enter your serial/activation code and add it to your account.

March 3, 2010 2:27 am
GeorgeOcean

GeorgeOcean

Tinkerer

from The TARDIS
49 posts

Does anyone know if the license for CoverScout also covers SongGenie?

"I've deleted the file?! I've deleted ALL the files!?! I've deleted the INTERNET!!?! I...I don't even have a modem!!?!!?"

March 3, 2010 2:31 am

suomichris

Automaton Tech

222 posts

qqzz wrote:
suomichris wrote:

If you go to www.equinux.com and login to your account. Go to your licenses and scroll to the bottom. There should be section where you can enter your serial/activation code and add it to your account.

I see that option, but it only takes an "activation code," and not a serial number (and a serial number entered in that space doesn't work).  Is there somewhere I'm missing to enter the serial number?

March 3, 2010 2:45 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

I still can't create an equinux ID from either the app or their website, and the time that I did, it doesn't remember that I created an account.

anyone know how to correctly uninstall the application since I had to use an installer package to install it? It seems kind of disappointing that it comes with that song scout thing yet thats a totally different product in terms of what is paid for.

March 3, 2010 2:47 am

suomichris

Automaton Tech

222 posts

suomichris wrote:
qqzz wrote:
suomichris wrote:

I see that option, but it only takes an "activation code," and not a serial number (and a serial number entered in that space doesn't work).  Is there somewhere I'm missing to enter the serial number?

Scratch that--it worked when I tried it again.  Must have been a server issue.

March 3, 2010 2:47 am
unsainted

unsainted

Urchin

from DFW, TEXAS
2 posts

GeorgeOcean wrote:

Does anyone know if the license for CoverScout also covers SongGenie?

Im guessing no, but I am willing to be proved wrong LOL.

March 3, 2010 2:48 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

jonault wrote:
qqzz wrote:

You've got to be kidding. You mean every single time I run CoverScout I have to sit through this app phoning home to ask "Mother, may I?". And every time their server gets the vapors (like this evening) I won't be able to use the program I purchased (like this evening)?

/headdesk
/headdesk
/headdesk

This is one of those cases where a company's need to overprotect from piracy hurts the legitimate users more than the pirates. In fact I'm betting the pirates never have to deal with it cuz they cracked that stuff anyways, which leaves me to wonder... why bother , since its only hurting legit users.

March 3, 2010 2:49 am

SantaIsComing666

Tinkerer

11 posts

Ok, I have come to a point where I shall "activate my product" by entering an "activation code". I type in the serial, push return but nothing happens.

This procedure is so extremely complicated, slow and annoying.

March 3, 2010 2:53 am
bionicle877

bionicle877

Urchin

7 posts

Equinux has made it so hard to register this product it is insane. First you have to create an account, which can be done through the application. Then you must go on their website to attach the activation code to your account. Then you must go back into the app and type in your username and password just to register the product. Still I cannot register my product because the servers are overloaded with the mass number of registrations so it can't connect to the licensing page. I don't plan on buying anything from them in the future.

March 3, 2010 2:57 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

I've tried twice to create an account it sends me to a page where looks like a home page, has upgrade product on left and add payment method and all that. But if I try to click upgrade or anything else prompts me to login, then it won't work with the account login I just created, and if I try to get my account user name it says the email I just used doesn't exists.

If this product were not a part of the bundle, I would not have ever bought it due to the sheer stupidity of how this is setup.

March 3, 2010 3:00 am

f8tlbyte

Urchin

2 posts

LOL, I am sure their servers are getting pounded right now.  I can wait, no biggie.    I would also like to know about song genie.  Would be nice, but I doubt the code works for both....too good to be true!

March 3, 2010 3:00 am
alonsofedz

alonsofedz

Tinkerer

from Mexico
21 posts

Still can't activate, and still can't use it as expected... Hopefully will be done before bedtime.

March 3, 2010 3:01 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

alonsofedz wrote:

Still can't activate, and still can't use it as expected... Hopefully will be done before bedtime.

But of all the downloaded items in the bundle, this is the ONLY one that has problems, and the rest I assure do phone home, yet they don't share the same problems, or asinine method of registration.

March 3, 2010 3:02 am

JessFudd

Urchin

4 posts

Is anyone else getting this error?

"Error: This license belongs to another user or has already been redeemed."

March 3, 2010 3:14 am
alonsofedz

alonsofedz

Tinkerer

from Mexico
21 posts

I'm stuck on the activating... the MyEquinux page shows my product with 1 unused license. it tells me to run the Activate Product on the app, but nothing from there... when I do, it takes me to the same page that tells me to run the activate product from the app... it's weird... The overload is killing them, I'm sure... but surely they knew what they had coming.... Then again, even the MH server went AWOL on showtime.

March 3, 2010 3:16 am
alonsofedz

alonsofedz

Tinkerer

from Mexico
21 posts

Maybe this can help someone:

go to https://activate.equinux.com with your browser (i'm not sure if/how this works with browsers other than safari)
if it doesnt accept the certificate, it displays it and you can drag it to your desktop.
double click it, allow it and add it to the key chain.

Accept the certificate manually

* Open Safari (not Firefox or Opera)
* Go to the equinux Online store
* When prompted, select 'Show certificate'
* Check the box labeled 'Always trust equinux - Website' and hit 'Continue'
* Restart your equinux software and try activating again

March 3, 2010 3:28 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

alonsofedz wrote:

Maybe this can help someone:

go to https://activate.equinux.com with your browser (i'm not sure if/how this works with browsers other than safari)
if it doesnt accept the certificate, it displays it and you can drag it to your desktop.
double click it, allow it and add it to the key chain.

Accept the certificate manually

* Open Safari (not Firefox or Opera)
* Go to the equinux Online store
* When prompted, select 'Show certificate'
* Check the box labeled 'Always trust equinux - Website' and hit 'Continue'
* Restart your equinux software and try activating again

They need to correctly renew their SSL certificates, rather unprofessional of them and its only like 9$ for a new certificate (or 150$ if they want a wildcard SSL cert to cover all subdomains).

March 3, 2010 3:31 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

When I log into my account (finally), I get this almost every time (if it doesn't time out)
http://i50.tinypic.com/28ukxev.png

Where do I actually activate CoverScout?

March 3, 2010 3:33 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

<Sarcasm> Any way to divert the % Equinux gets and put it towards the charity?</Sarcasm>
big_smile

March 3, 2010 3:36 am
alonsofedz

alonsofedz

Tinkerer

from Mexico
21 posts

kblessinggr wrote:

When I log into my account (finally), I get this almost every time (if it doesn't time out)

Your country should be greyed out... Try quitting and restarting the app. Also, try logging into the Equinux website through Safari and loading your serial in there...

Also the my equinux above the Upgrade product IS clickable... That's where you should enter your serial number.

March 3, 2010 3:36 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

alonsofedz wrote:
kblessinggr wrote:

Your country should be greyed out... Try quitting and restarting the app. Also, try logging into the Equinux website through Safari and loading your serial in there...

Also the my equinux above the Upgrade product IS clickable... That's where you should enter your serial number.

Tried all that. The Upgrade Product part just sends me back to the front page.

March 3, 2010 3:38 am
alonsofedz

alonsofedz

Tinkerer

from Mexico
21 posts

Just wondering if anyone has been able to activate CoverScout 3.

@kblessingr we should all just hope that sometime we'll be able to activate it. I'm guessing there's something wrong on their end.

March 3, 2010 3:46 am

wnknisely

Urchin

1 posts

Has anyone actually managed to activate the bundled app?

It's instructive to watch the train wreck that has ensued by this company's choice of overly restrictive copy protection. I don't hear many people delighted with their product or the purchase experience yet. And MacHeist is now getting splash-back from the experience too.

Here's hoping that this works at some point.

March 3, 2010 3:46 am
qqzz

qqzz

Tinkerer

23 posts

JessFudd wrote:

I have received this message also when trying to add my license to my account. I have contacted the developer and am awaiting a response. In the mean time I would just be patient. It takes time for the developers to update their systems and process all the licenses.

March 3, 2010 3:48 am

rgmurray

Urchin

3 posts

What this experience has done is make me aware of all their other products... and show me just how little I want ANY of them now.

March 3, 2010 3:49 am
bionicle877

bionicle877

Urchin

7 posts

JessFudd wrote:

I got that too. I found out it registered it under my account. You may be experiencing the same thing as me. What I found out is that I clicked the link multiple times and it registered it on the first click, but didn't tell me. Click my equinux and it is probably in there. It will say unused and then you will have to go into the application to link that code with your program. However, you may have problems doing the last step because they are overloaded right now and having problems.

March 3, 2010 3:51 am

stewart02

Urchin

5 posts

qqzz wrote:
JessFudd wrote:

I have received this message also when trying to add my license to my account. I have contacted the developer and am awaiting a response. In the mean time I would just be patient. It takes time for the developers to update their systems and process all the licenses.

Yup, I'm getting this too.

Seems they weren't prepared... :-\

This experience, will only make me avoid their other apps too.  Registration is OOT.

March 3, 2010 3:52 am
alonsofedz

alonsofedz

Tinkerer

from Mexico
21 posts

Seems to be up again... at least it now showed me a different approach when trying to activate.

March 3, 2010 4:04 am
fiz

fiz

Tinkerer

from Silver Spring, MD
27 posts

I'm still having the auth server connection errors, which really just highlights how bad this software really is. I have to admit, I'm quite annoyed considering this is one of the apps I bought the bundle for and yet its DRM is StarForce-level BAD.

Overall, not a good start to MacHeist 2010. Oh well, here's to hoping that I finally get a Flow license and Monkey Island.

...like a dropped box of magnetic poetry

March 3, 2010 4:21 am

suomichris

Automaton Tech

222 posts

Okay, WTF Equinux.  I did all of the security certificate stuff (which, I mean, really?) and tried to activate again.  And that worked, as far as Equinux is concerned--when I log into my Equinux account, it shows my computer as registered/associated/whatever with that license.  Except that CoverScout doesn't know this, and is still running in demo mode.

EPIC FAIL.

WTF do I do now?  Deregister my computer and try again?

March 3, 2010 4:28 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ CoverScout

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?