Forums

✚ CoverScout Support

MacHeist Forums » Support Desk » ✚ CoverScout Support
Kriana

Kriana

Staff

from Somewhere over the rainbow...
382 posts

Post your questions about Coverscout here, or go to the developer's site.

Twitter

March 3, 2010 12:40 am

matchavez

Urchin

1 posts

Do I have to give them all my info just to register?  I just want to put in my serial number, and I'm getting nagged to fill out an account, etc.  Didn't have to for iSale...

I keep getting errors...

March 3, 2010 2:09 am
qqzz

qqzz

Tinkerer

23 posts

matchavez wrote:

Do I have to give them all my info just to register?  I just want to put in my serial number, and I'm getting nagged to fill out an account, etc.  Didn't have to for iSale...

I keep getting errors...

Yes. Most fields are required to register. Unfortunately you can't just enter your serial. It needs to be register with your account. As for the errors...the server is just being overloaded at the moment with everyone trying to create accounts and register their copy of CoverScout. I would just be patient and try again.  It took me a couple of tries, but eventually I was able to "get through" and register my copy.

March 3, 2010 2:32 am

JessFudd

Urchin

4 posts

I registered, and once I finally was able to input my serial, it tells me my number already belongs to someone else and to contact my reseller.

Any suggestions?

March 3, 2010 3:01 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

So I get this email after hours of trying to register...

1. Launch CoverScout on the Mac on which it is currently activated. Click on "CoverScout" in the menubar and choose "Deactivate CoverScout".
2. The CoverScout registration window comes up. Please click on the "Deactivate CoverScout" button to reset the license and to be able to activate CoverScout on another Mac.
3. A confirmation popup will inform you about the license reset.
4. Launch CoverScout on the Mac on which you want to activate it. Click on "CoverScout" in the menubar and choose "Activate CoverScout".
5. The CoverScout registration window comes up. Please click on "Activate" and login with your existing equinux ID to license your copy of CoverScout.
6. Please confirm your personal details to finalize the activation process.
7. Done! Have fun with CoverScout on the new Mac.

The problem is #6 never happens.

March 3, 2010 6:25 am
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

kblessinggr wrote:

So I get this email after hours of trying to register...

1. Launch CoverScout on the Mac on which it is currently activated. Click on "CoverScout" in the menubar and choose "Deactivate CoverScout".
2. The CoverScout registration window comes up. Please click on the "Deactivate CoverScout" button to reset the license and to be able to activate CoverScout on another Mac.
3. A confirmation popup will inform you about the license reset.
4. Launch CoverScout on the Mac on which you want to activate it. Click on "CoverScout" in the menubar and choose "Activate CoverScout".
5. The CoverScout registration window comes up. Please click on "Activate" and login with your existing equinux ID to license your copy of CoverScout.
6. Please confirm your personal details to finalize the activation process.
7. Done! Have fun with CoverScout on the new Mac.

The problem is #6 never happens.

It may take a day or two, but I've sent an email into equinux about these issues and they should be trying to resolve it soon.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

March 3, 2010 7:29 am

msp23

Urchin

1 posts

Seems that's working again....

March 3, 2010 1:55 pm
equinuxsupport

equinuxsupport

Developer

from South San Francisco
5 posts

What can we say, your very first experience with CoverScout and you can't even activate it. We hope you'll let us make it up to you...

Our web-team have been busy all morning (we didn't even let them have a coffee break wink and the issue while activating has now been resolved.

If you are already an equinux customer, please enter your equinux ID and password to log in. You will then be prompted to enter your MacHeist activation code.

If you are a new customer and you havn't got an equinux ID yet, please create an equinux ID first. Once you have done this, you will be asked to enter the MacHeist activation code.

Enjoy using CoverScout 3 and all the other great apps MacHeist have included in nanoBundle2!

We're here to help!

March 3, 2010 1:56 pm
jeff.cox

jeff.cox

Gearhead

60 posts

Using an installer for an application that seemingly just sits in /Applications is irritating and a little shady.  Bloating that installer with an application we're not getting with the bundle is also kind of annoying.

Where can I find uninstallation instructions?

March 3, 2010 4:19 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

jeff.cox wrote:

Where can I find uninstallation instructions?

Same I asked this in my earlier email to them, haven't gotten a response yet.

Based on the package file there are three main packages within (along with english and german instructions) CoverScout 3, Cover Scout 3 Preflight (whatever that is) and Song Genie.

The Preflight one is only 100kb or so and contains a plist like such:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.equinux.coverscout3.preflight.pkg</string>
    <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
    <string>1.0</string>
    <key>IFMajorVersion</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>IFMinorVersion</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>IFPkgFlagAuthorizationAction</key>
    <string>RootAuthorization</string>
    <key>IFPkgFlagDefaultLocation</key>
    <string>/</string>
    <key>IFPkgFlagInstalledSize</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>IFPkgFlagRelocatable</key>
    <false/>
    <key>IFPkgFlagRestartAction</key>
    <string>None</string>
    <key>IFPkgFlagRootVolumeOnly</key>
    <false/>
    <key>IFPkgFormatVersion</key>
    <real>0.10000000149011612</real>
</dict>
</plist>

If I had to guess, its the part that requires root authentication in order to access your iTunes library as well as make changes to the files such as applying the cover art.

March 3, 2010 4:30 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

PS: To find out which files were installed so you can remove them. Run the Installer package, and choose File ... Show Files from the menu without actually installing from there you can see what files were installed.

Looking at it myself its safe to say you only need to delete the two apps from the Application folder, and whatever folder they may have created under ~/Library/Application Support/ and ~/Library/Preferences/

Or buy AppZapper (only 12$ but does an excellent job of hunting down all the associated files)

March 3, 2010 4:36 pm
shouldwork

shouldwork

Tinkerer

from Saskatoon Canada
15 posts

ok, so everytime I try to assign an image i get an error saying that it failed, then when I click on "show file" in the error log everything freezes like a complete system hog and then does absolutely nothing

mmmm, I like taco bell

March 3, 2010 5:19 pm
jeff.cox

jeff.cox

Gearhead

60 posts

Thanks, kblessinggr!  Didn't know you could do that with the Installer application.

March 3, 2010 6:45 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

jeff.cox wrote:

Thanks, kblessinggr!  Didn't know you could do that with the Installer application.

The mpkg and pkg files are basically just folders with information for the Apple Installer (kinda like Window's MSI). Though would be kind of nice in a way that there may be an uninstall option on the apple installer that would simply remove whatever it knows the package will place. But seeing as it only in the end placed the two .app files into the application folder, why can't they simply do what the other vendors do and have just the .app files in the disk image with a shortcut to ~/Applications. Perhaps the manner of installation is part of their copy protection *shrug*

March 3, 2010 6:49 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

I just want to make sure everyone sees this regarding CoverScout installing SongGenie along with it: http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopi … 41#p362241.  I myself want to hear a direct response from Equinux.

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

March 3, 2010 10:37 pm
Molnies

Molnies

Big Game Hunter

from Sweden
527 posts

jfm429 wrote:

I just want to make sure everyone sees this regarding CoverScout installing SongGenie along with it: http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopi … 41#p362241.  I myself want to hear a direct response from Equinux.

I'm totally behind you on this. I have no interest in the app, but I'd rather not see a company like this getting money for it as well as possible future bundles...

Think Purple.

March 3, 2010 11:10 pm
salvadornl

salvadornl

Urchin

from Netherlands
2 posts

Bought it about 24H ago and still no activation info from Coverscout. Reading all the problems that people already have makes me wonder if i even will see one.

March 4, 2010 7:21 am

AdmiralShovel

Urchin

1 posts

Activation worked fine for me, but occasionally when trying to apply a cover i get an error saying I don't have the correct permissions to edit the song. Does anyone know how to fix this?

March 4, 2010 3:49 pm
tjcasser@gmail.com

tjcasser@gmail.com

Urchin

from Baltimore, MD, USA
2 posts

jfm429 wrote:

I just want to make sure everyone sees this regarding CoverScout installing SongGenie along with it: (link removed).  I myself want to hear a direct response from Equinux.

I hadn't noticed this myself until I saw this in the forum... and I second (third?) it.  There should not have been a second application installed on my machine without my explicit consent.  How can I trust that there aren't other things that were installed?

Let's be honest - I'm willing to concede that this might just be a bad mistake on their part, that they think they're helping to market their software.  All it does, though, is make me second-guess buying something from them in the future.

March 5, 2010 10:54 pm

sk537224

Urchin

1 posts

I was using Coverscout and had closed the application to restart my computer. Upon restarting my computer and opening coverscout, all the albums and downloaded cover art for all 10,000 of my songs was seemingly lost. Is there a way i can get the information back or do i have to begin the searches again from the beginning?

March 6, 2010 2:07 am

petersod

Urchin

4 posts

So I downloaded Cover Scout and have created an equinox account. I still have no activation code - how the heck is that supposed to happen???
Seems like a rip-off from MacHeist that you buy something but then only get the demo version. Is there a way to get my money back??

March 6, 2010 4:14 am

jfield@mac.com

Urchin

1 posts

Not sure if it's just me but I can 't actually see coverscout 'fixing' my no cover art problem in itunes?  There isn't a button saying 'transfer album art to itunes' or anything like that?  Am I being stupid and it just happens automatically? Do I need to reboot?  I've had a look at my itunes music library and it still has grey albums - what's up?

March 6, 2010 6:42 am

vinylrake1

Tinkerer

30 posts

jfield, It looks like there's decent step-by-step "how-to"s for coverscout right on the developer's page linked in the first post on this topic.

March 6, 2010 11:59 am

vinylrake1

Tinkerer

30 posts

petersod, if you created an equinux ID and logged on to the equinux site you should be able to register/activate the software by entering the license you received in your macheist receipt.

from post#8 (above)

"If you are a new customer and you havn't got an equinux ID yet, please create an equinux ID first. Once you have done this, you will be asked to enter the MacHeist activation code."

March 6, 2010 12:04 pm

kim.m.fong

Urchin

1 posts

I can't even create an account, after several tries.  It keeps telling me: "Username does not match with the rules."

March 6, 2010 6:27 pm

petersod

Urchin

4 posts

vinylrake1 - I created the equinox account and only have a serial number from MacHeist - where should I find a license number??

March 6, 2010 7:44 pm

Jupp Schlosser

Urchin

1 posts

Hello,

i just want to activate my coverscout without to bare my personal Information.
What's wrong in here, that we have to strip each time we buy a software?
Is there an Alternative to activate this program?

Annoyed, Jupp.

March 6, 2010 9:57 pm

vinylrake1

Tinkerer

30 posts

Jupp - No one is going to be checking the personal information you give Equinux to make sure it's accurate, you can be as open or private as you wish.

Just make sure you use a real email address in case the vendor needs to send you an activation key or some other crucial info about your app.

March 7, 2010 12:04 am

vinylrake1

Tinkerer

30 posts

petersod, i was using 'license#' generically - some developers call it activation code, some call it serial#, some call it license#, etc.  I haven't registered CoverScout yet so don't know exactly what it's called by equinux.

according to the developer when you activate/register the software you have to first enter your equinox acct name and password, then it will give you a field to enter the activation code/license#/serial# aka the CoverScout # on your online receipt.

March 7, 2010 12:16 am

petersod

Urchin

4 posts

Well, the serial number does not work and that is all I have sad

March 7, 2010 3:20 am

bytor99999@gmail.com

Urchin

3 posts

I wish I had read some of this stuff before installing this bad software. I am not going to "register" on equinox. It won't allow me to enter a password. I prefer very strict good passwords, and I use symbols. I will not ever use a password without them, and their sign up page won't accept them.

I am also miffed that it installed extra software that I did not want, request, or permitted the app to install.

I will uninstall this immediately.

March 7, 2010 5:02 am
bobbyt

bobbyt

Tinkerer

from Camarillo, CA
49 posts

If you do a one off password for their site, you risk very little I would think...

-Bobby
Dropbox - 2.25 GB of online space that auto syncs with all your computers!

March 7, 2010 8:12 am

agolf88

Urchin

1 posts

everytime I try to enter my serial number it says "CoverScout could not connect to the licensing server!  The server's certificate is not trusted on this Mac."  I've tried restarting, updating software and this still persists.. what should I do?

March 7, 2010 12:46 pm

rikyxxx

Urchin

2 posts

agolf88 wrote:

everytime I try to enter my serial number it says "CoverScout could not connect to the licensing server!  The server's certificate is not trusted on this Mac."  I've tried restarting, updating software and this still persists.. what should I do?

Same here.

March 7, 2010 4:27 pm

rikyxxx

Urchin

2 posts

P.S.
Already done all this things (from equinux support):

I'm given a 'Server Certificate error' during Activation?
Are you seeing a 'Server certificate' error message whilst activating your equinux software?

One likely cause is your system's date & time: Make sure your system clock is set correctly by checking 'Set date & time automatically' under System Preferences > Date & Time.

We also use a fairly new security certificate to protect your data. However, older versions of OS X might not immediately recognize the certificate.

To make sure OS X will recognize the certificate, you could try one of the following two fixes:

Run Software Update
Go to the  menu and select 'Software Update'
Install any available system updates
Afterwards, restart and try activating again
Disable your firewall
Please make sure you are not running any firewalls which may block access to our activations server. Applications you may wish to disable temporarily include:

Mac OS X Firewall
LittleSnitch (Litte Snitch Configuration - Preferences … - General - Stop)
Intego NetBarrier
Check your Keychain
Open: Application > Utilities > Keychain Access
Select "Keychain Access > Keychain First Aid"
Enter your OS X account password, select Repair on the right and hit Start
Accept the certificate manually
Open Safari (not Firefox or Opera)
Go to the equinux Online store
When prompted, select 'Show certificate'
Check the box labeled 'Always trust www equinux com' and hit 'Continue'
Restart your equinux software and try activating again
You should now be able to activate your software using your equinux ID and password.

March 7, 2010 4:50 pm

jjbriquet

Urchin

1 posts

Cover Scout crashed and can not start anymore. I have not restarted my computer yet cuz I need to have a few programs running not stop.

Thank sfor any help - JJ

March 8, 2010 10:01 pm

stevenicster

Urchin

1 posts

Well, so far I'm 2-for-2. Tried to activate RipIt and it wouldn't accept my number. Tried to activate CoverScout and it wouldn't accept my number. Are all you guys a bunch of crooks, or are you just incompetent at setting this bundle up?

March 9, 2010 1:37 pm

kooz

Urchin

1 posts

why must I have all my software updated to register?  It's in the blurb about the security certificate not being recognized or valid.

March 9, 2010 3:08 pm

coleThorsen

Urchin

1 posts

The process for activating this software is absolutely absurd! Why can't I just enter the activation code?

March 9, 2010 6:25 pm

LukeRules

Urchin

1 posts

after registrating with equinox and  entering my  Macheist serial number  it says
that the serial number is not valid for the product

March 9, 2010 7:58 pm

Rovas

Urchin

1 posts

I just installed coverscout on my computer and it says it´s a demo!!! what can i do to fix this??

March 9, 2010 8:02 pm

myroslava

Urchin

3 posts

Well, I'm uninstalling this thing right now. I really bought the bundle for some other apps, not something I can do by searching in Google, in images. But these guys are crazy. Making me to register somewhere (didn't even try) instead of just entering the serial number, then I read this forum and find out this thing installed something without my knowledge...

I may be mentioning other apps that I bought in this bundle to my friends. CoverScout and Equinux - do not recommend.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned how to remove files that this bloatware created.

March 9, 2010 11:56 pm

Arnabio

Urchin

2 posts

Best thing about this app: it launches, runs for 30 seconds, then crashes. EVERY TIME. I managed to type extra-fast and get an "equux ID" which I'm sure is signing me up for some kind of mailing list, and then, after it crashed enter my info and serial and register. Then it crashed AGAIN. WTF!

(2008 MBP, last non unibody, 2.53 GHz, 4GB, 500GB, 10.6.2, all updates installed)

March 10, 2010 12:04 am

myroslava

Urchin

3 posts

jfm429 wrote:

I just want to make sure everyone sees this regarding CoverScout installing SongGenie along with it: macheist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=362241#p362241.  I myself want to hear a direct response from Equinux.

I also subscribe to this.

March 10, 2010 12:15 am

meggs

Urchin

from Karlsruhe
2 posts

SOLUTION:

What you get from MacHeist is not your serial number - or at least it isn’t called like that: It’s the activation code. Ohne your’re logged in your account within the activation window within coverscout you come to a point where you can enter that code. just click and click until you see the first text input field where is no name or password to enter.

March 10, 2010 2:28 am

ripplemdk

Urchin

1 posts

I'm super annoyed with having to create an account with equinux just so I can activate the software. The software begins with a terrible user experience. The menu to even figure out you have to register is confusing... I haven't actually even used the software yet and I've had it installed for 30 min.

March 10, 2010 8:46 am
LordGroundhog

LordGroundhog

Urchin

1 posts

When I clicked on "Activate CoverScout" in the menu, I get the following message:
"The server's certificate is not trusted on this Mac.

Make sure that all system software updates are installed, and that the time and date settings on your Mac are set to the current date and time. If the problem persists, please contact equinux support."

My system software is just fine, as are my time and date settings.  I was just about to set off to contact equinux support, when I decided to come here.  Now that I see this other business about them installing SongGenie without asking my permission (and yes, there it is on my computer, uninvited) I don't want anything to do with CoverScout or with equinux.  I'm sure I could find a use for SongGenie, but I won't support a company that wants to practice some kind of "stealth marketing" on my computer.   And as for their instruction that I should disable my firewall and other security software, they have GOT to be kidding!  Who do they think they are?  "Hello, we're here to install your new HD TV.  Now, if you just hand us your housekey ..."   PFFFT! 

Just my 2 insignificant coppery-looking coins of the national currency of your choice.

Peace,
Lord Groundhog

March 10, 2010 11:21 am
IKode

IKode

Urchin

from Atlanta
2 posts

Wow Im not really sure why everyone is having so many issues with this software.  I went through the activation only giving them my real email and name.  The registration process was very fast and the software was activated quickly.

Im also running a fresh snow leopard install.

As far as using this program its working great.  I know some people are having issues about SongGenie installed as well.  From what I can see it allows you to play the song from CoverScout.  Its also a neat program as well.  Of course they only give you the demo.

The software is running fine for me without any issues.  In fact Im glad I got it, its cleaning up my iTunes library!  If SongGenie was less expensive I would probably purchase that as well.

Sorry to hear everyone else having issues.

March 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Arnabio

Urchin

2 posts

I'm wondering if my issues stem from having a 150 GB music library. Anyone with a library around this size (or larger) having problems with the program quitting within a minute of launch?

March 10, 2010 12:52 pm

mcouture13

Urchin

from webster, ma
1 posts

Where do i find my serial numbers???? I downloaded the MacHeist nano... ALSO I cannot access the free software for tweeting...

March 10, 2010 2:21 pm
MacHeist Forums » Support Desk » ✚ CoverScout Support

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?