385 posts

Post you thoughts about Clips here.

Twitter

March 3, 2010 12:42 am
jeff.cox

jeff.cox

Gearhead

60 posts

Why is the icon different?  It's like a splinter in my mind...

March 3, 2010 12:44 am
Canisreevus

Canisreevus

Automaton Tech

from Flowood, MS
433 posts

The link "Get more info" points to their app, Tracks.  Just FYI.

Edit: Fixed.

Get DropBox

March 3, 2010 12:46 am
hfearly

hfearly

Urchin

3 posts

When completing the registration it looks like you can only use it on a single machine? Have to try installing it on my iMac as well when I get home. Anyone knows if you can use it on multiple machines?

GREEN by nature

March 3, 2010 1:18 am
BohemianCoast

BohemianCoast

Tinkerer

31 posts

Is this a reasonable replacement for iClip? Because I'm really very sad that iClip is no longer sold or supported.

--
Cheers

Alison

March 3, 2010 1:23 am
jrenfro88

jrenfro88

Tinkerer

16 posts

BohemianCoast wrote:

Is this a reasonable replacement for iClip? Because I'm really very sad that iClip is no longer sold or supported.

So far in the 20 minutes i've been using this it seems like a pretty good replacement.  If you don't like this app I highly recommend CuteClips.  I've been using it since Snow Leopard came out and its pretty awesome.

March 3, 2010 1:48 am
orangehat

orangehat

Gearhead

from Maryland
70 posts

Awesome, another clipboard app. I've been watching this one for a while, but never forked out the cash for it. I've tried iClips, & Stuf, but still can't find one that's really doing what I want.

I've got a good feeling about this one though!

Part of team Orange!

My Referral

March 3, 2010 3:24 am
hfearly

hfearly

Urchin

3 posts

Just tried it out - trying to register the app on my iMac at home in addition to my MacBook tells me that I need to buy additional licenses.

"This serial number contains 1 license but is being used on 2 machines. You may want to purchase additional licenses."

To be honest, this is bullshit! I mean: come on it's a clipboard tool ... something you may want to have on all your machines. Together with the "locked" RapidReaver that was not indicated as such when I initially bought the bundle, I'm feeling more and more ripped off. Definitely not the user experience I am used to here at MacHeist - disappointing :-(

GREEN by nature

March 3, 2010 3:28 am
Molnies

Molnies

Big Game Hunter

from Sweden
527 posts

hfearly wrote:

Just tried it out - trying to register the app on my iMac at home in addition to my MacBook tells me that I need to buy additional licenses.

"This serial number contains 1 license but is being used on 2 machines. You may want to purchase additional licenses."

To be honest, this is bullshit! I mean: come on it's a clipboard tool ... something you may want to have on all your machines. Together with the "locked" RapidReaver that was not indicated as such when I initially bought the bundle, I'm feeling more and more ripped off. Definitely not the user experience I am used to here at MacHeist - disappointing :-(

First of all, if you're used to MacHeist the locked apps shouldn't come as a surprise. MH1, 2 3 and nanoBundle 1 had locked apps, why did you think it was going to be different this time?

Secondly, it's up to the developer to decide how their license plans are, and many of them do have that 1 license per computer. Others have 1 license per user no matter how many computers that user installs it on and yet others allow everybody in the same household to use just one license. What I mean is that I don't see how this in any way can be blamed on MacHeist...?

Think Purple.

March 3, 2010 3:44 am
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

Ok, this app is the make it or break it for me to purchase the bundle. Please post some impressions/feedback on this app for folks like me!

Get a 2GB Dropbox account + additional space free for you & me

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

March 3, 2010 4:11 am

dunkelstern

Urchin

4 posts

I think they limit it to one running copy per user as they could make more money out of the "share clipboard over network" functionality this way. Not that I support that decision...

All in all I am more disappointed by the app. The Clip/Dashboard thing is really ugly (not the clippings, but the bar on the left) and there is no menu entry/ button anywhere to get to the organizer window. You'll have to open "Preferences" to get a menu bar to select the Organizer Window from the "Window" Menu item. Thats not really User friendly.

Additionaly the "abbreviations" feature seems a little odd, as you can only put a clip into the abbreviations folder by selecting "edit clip" on some clip you just created by copying or something and then navigating to the "abbreviations" tab. The cool thing would be dropping a clip into the abbreviations folder and be asked for the replacement word in a popup dialog then. This has to work from the Clip/Dashboard too. If they keep it like that the function is useless.

March 3, 2010 4:16 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

I agree with dunkelstern, while I find the app rather useful I think it's UI could definitely use some more polish, it seems just a tad too unrefined to be an OSX app.

March 3, 2010 4:20 am

ramild

Urchin

3 posts

Hmm. I was testing the abbreviation feature out and it worked fine for a few minutes but now it isn't working at all! Can't figure out what's wrong...

March 3, 2010 4:28 am
Kona0428

Kona0428

Tinkerer

14 posts

Love this app very functional and productive this is the only app I've tried so far and its great.

Yes I'm 14 yes I love macs yes I have an Iphone soon an Ipad and I know I'm a nerd what else could you ask for in life.

March 3, 2010 4:38 am
bobbyt

bobbyt

Tinkerer

from Camarillo, CA
49 posts

Molnies wrote:

First of all, if you're used to MacHeist the locked apps shouldn't come as a surprise. MH1, 2 3 and nanoBundle 1 had locked apps, why did you think it was going to be different this time?

Some of us are new...

I was surprised to learn RapidWeaver is locked.  I see the little lock icon and the slight transparency in hindsight, but both of those things aren't visually obvious.  Those of us with less than perfect eyesight can have some difficulty picking these kinds of visual nuances up...

Anybody have any idea what it will take to unlock RapidWeaver???

-Bobby
Dropbox - 2.25 GB of online space that auto syncs with all your computers!

March 3, 2010 4:49 am
Kona0428

Kona0428

Tinkerer

14 posts

I have an idea tons of people will have to by the bundle. like usual it takes a day or two.... or three

Yes I'm 14 yes I love macs yes I have an Iphone soon an Ipad and I know I'm a nerd what else could you ask for in life.

March 3, 2010 5:07 am
DCBrit

DCBrit

Tinkerer

27 posts

Looks like a nice app, but can't help loving the irony of not being able to cut and paste the 300 digit license number into the activation box

March 3, 2010 6:32 am

strangetpwn

Automaton Tech

122 posts

Has anyone got abbreviations to work? I tried yesterday with the demo using various abv strings including "kkkkkk"and "{k}" (without the quotes), but they wouldn't work. Do you have to use a certain format?

Also it doesn't seem to be able to paste clips into VMWare Fusion.

Since these are the two features I'd want to use most, this app seemed to be a no-go. I deleted the demo after about 30 mins.

Earn us both 5000MB extra space when signing up for Dropbox, thanks

March 3, 2010 7:00 am
matrikz

matrikz

Tinkerer

from Hamburg, Germany
45 posts

DCBrit wrote:

Looks like a nice app, but can't help loving the irony of not being able to cut and paste the 300 digit license number into the activation box

Yeah, I stumbled over that too. You can paste it into the field with via context menu (Right mouse -> Paste)! ;-)

Ans as a general feedback about the app. Useless for me after recognizing that it is limited to one machine. I have at least 3 macs I work with on a regular base.
I will definitely not buy two other licenses for a type of program I never had a user for. ;-)

It's not very nice and intuitive anyway.

Twitter

March 3, 2010 8:18 am
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Well I think it was nice and wouldn't mind continue use it but not by buying another bundle for getting a licence for my laptop too. So AppClener went into action and took it away.

I'm not complaining about the bundle as I knew this before I bought it. I just don't like their licence policy and pricing. I think we are quite many who have  at least a desktop and laptop (eg Adobe agree in that with their policy of installation on two computers) and want to have the same everyday app on them. Okay if they gave some reduction when you buy your second app but NO. You have to buy five (5) for any reduction - a family licence in my eyes. From my point of view it's obvious that they don't want ordinary users

Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free

March 3, 2010 8:49 am
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

Well, this sucks. Clips was the main reason for me to buy the bundle, and now I can't even install it on my MBP.
I'm not complaining about the bundle, in all probability I would have bought it anyway, but the licence policy of Conceited Software makes this quite dissapointing.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB free backup space

March 3, 2010 10:57 am
identitylab

identitylab

Tinkerer

30 posts

I too think one license is a little odd, considering almost all Mac apps offer at least a couple...  can't complain with the bundle itself - but certainly would have liked 2 seats for Clips. (And yes I could always buy another bundle cheaper than Clips retail, but that's not the point) smile

March 3, 2010 11:35 am

pauljw

Tinkerer

12 posts

This seems like such a great app at first glance and I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately it feels more like beta software to me. I can't get abbreviations to work at all, hot corner activation does nothing, and the menu bar icon hasn't appeared yet despite restarting my iMac.

I too was disappointed that the license covers just one installation, that seems very 'Microsoft-ish'. I think the app has potential but it needs work and I think the developers should should be pushing hard to get this working a much better as their audience has just increased dramatically.

Needs some work: C+

March 3, 2010 11:53 am
MacAndy

MacAndy

Automaton Tech

from Bavaria
116 posts

On theire page is: Clips 1.x requires Mac OS X 10.5

will it run under Snow Leopard?

and:

Clipboard Sharing
Who says copying and pasting has to be restricted to one machine? Clips certainly doesn't! Copy on one Mac and paste on another with a simple click.

they should inform us that there is another license necessary

Andreas
Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 3, 2010 12:41 pm
azenis

azenis

Urchin

from Hobart, Tasmania
5 posts

I installed it on both my macs, I got the message about the license being on two machines but it does still work....

I notice that when I paste a photo from it though, it pastes two copies. That happen to anyone else?

I created some services (right click a photo in finder and resize it) and that created two copies too so it may be a problem elsewhere...

Cheers,
Nige

March 3, 2010 12:53 pm

kumarei

Urchin

6 posts

I hate to say it, but this does feel a bit like beta software. I can't seem to copy more than one thing into it unless I have a filter active at the time. Any time I try to copy without having a filter active, the new item blows away my previous history. Also, the menu bar icon doesn't appear no matter what I do.

March 3, 2010 1:29 pm
azenis

azenis

Urchin

from Hobart, Tasmania
5 posts

azenis wrote:

I installed it on both my macs, I got the message about the license being on two machines but it does still work....

I notice that when I paste a photo from it though, it pastes two copies. That happen to anyone else?

I created some services (right click a photo in finder and resize it) and that created two copies too so it may be a problem elsewhere...

OK this happens on both my machines. Copy a jpg file on the desktop and paste it to the desktop and it will create TWO new copies. Copy something from within a folder and paste to the desktop and it tries to make two copies but throws an error saying there is a file already existing in that location with that file name.

Didnt seem to do it with a png file or an rtf, only jpgs.

Most odd.

Cheers,
Nige

March 3, 2010 1:31 pm

kumarei

Urchin

6 posts

Ah. I went to their web site, and they say that they require OS 10.5. I guess that my problems may be due to using Snow Leopard.

Anyway, it's a bit of a disappointment, as this app was one of my main reasons for getting the bundle, and it doesn't seem to work on my machine. Oh well, at least I have Flow and CoverScout, and I can look forward to Monkey Island.

March 3, 2010 2:19 pm
jeff.cox

jeff.cox

Gearhead

60 posts

I've been running Clips 1.5 on Snow Leopard for months with no problems, the people with technical support problems should look here: http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=16944

March 3, 2010 2:45 pm
anosou

anosou

Tinkerer

from Sweden
31 posts

Works great for me, I'm guessing I'll actually use it because I do a silly amount of IRC pasting smile

March 3, 2010 2:52 pm
manikje

manikje

Automaton Tech

126 posts

Clips is using 300MB+ with just a few text snippets on the clipboard. Warning!!

Rotting mushroom, by popular request.
"And those of little faith chose orange, and Jebediah told them: "Let green be chosen and God's will be done. For green to God is more pleasing than either violet or blue."
-  Jonah 3:12-14

March 3, 2010 3:50 pm
narbertb

narbertb

Tinkerer

48 posts

looks like i'll have to play with it and figure out where i'll need it most... mb or imac.  Can't...handle...the...pressure

Get 250 mg extra space by using this link https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTMwOTc0NDY5

March 3, 2010 5:04 pm

genseric

Urchin

2 posts

bought the bundle, here is my personal thoughts on this one,

application kills memory after 5 hours of usage(620mb), restarted it and it was 255mbs,everything in the clipboard was text btw.
a few crashes occured during the time it was running(was dealing with the organizer).
no keyboard navigation or scroll  available at the small left  panel. you have to launch the bigger cpu-killing panel to find and do a single paste.
unnecessary animations are boring(big panel).
abbrevations stopped responding after some minutes.
help is not enough, could not find to clear the current clipboard , help is not enough(is there any help?).
this application must be able to do as much as the simple clipmenu(my fav) or the launchbar's clipboard history can.
can't believe its version is 1.5.

March 3, 2010 5:05 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

genseric wrote:

bought the bundle, here is my personal thoughts on this one,

application kills memory after 5 hours of usage(620mb), restarted it and it was 255mbs,everything in the clipboard was text btw.
a few crashes occured during the time it was running(was dealing with the organizer).
no keyboard navigation or scroll  available at the small left  panel. you have to launch the bigger cpu-killing panel to find and do a single paste.
unnecessary animations are boring(big panel).
abbrevations stopped responding after some minutes.
help is not enough, could not find to clear the current clipboard , help is not enough(is there any help?).
this application must be able to do as much as the simple clipmenu(my fav) or the launchbar's clipboard history can.
can't believe its version is 1.5.

Had it running over night and damn you're right it was eating up over 700mb on my macbook with 4GB of rams, and all I had was like 10 clippings of small text and urls. I uninstalled it since its ridiculous that such a memory leak would be in a "top mac app".

March 3, 2010 5:35 pm
jrenfro88

jrenfro88

Tinkerer

16 posts

Wow.  I noticed that Clips was using 100mb of memory so I decided to clear my entries, now its using 128mb. So much for trying to make its memory footprint smaller, lol.

March 3, 2010 6:08 pm
delhokie

delhokie

Tinkerer

from Delaware
36 posts

Tried to install several times in snow leopard and it crashes immediately... not sure what the issue is, but I'm waiting ot hear back from support.

March 3, 2010 6:53 pm
atm153

atm153

Automaton Tech

from Lincoln, NE
140 posts

Mine refuses to give me a menu bar icon under snow leopard. Can't change any preferences, set up hot corners, or a shortcut to summon the main UI. Kinda disappointed.

Go Green Monkeys!
Dropbox Referral Link

March 3, 2010 7:11 pm
catzmeow2

catzmeow2

Tinkerer

from Florida
30 posts

I did some searching in the Conceited Software forum about their licenses. They did not specifically refer to Clips, but with their other software titles they consistently stated that they thought that use on a desktop and laptop was reasonable. This was the response to one gentleman's question about using Linkinus on 3 of his Macs:
"We usually allow two machines per license, as this is fair use of a single license (ie. desktop and laptop). What you're asking sounds like fair use too, so email us your serial number and we'll authorize the third Mac."
Conceited Software Forum

Cats are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

Proud Member of the Green Team

March 3, 2010 7:38 pm
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

559MB? Jesus H. Christ. This thing keeps getting better and better.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB free backup space

March 3, 2010 7:47 pm
JoeK

JoeK

Urchin

3 posts

When I try to start Clips, I get several "Failed to initialize the store" messages, and can use Clips at all.  Not sure if this is a problem with Clips, or just Clips on Snow Leopard...or maybe a problem with me :-)

March 3, 2010 7:53 pm
OverHaze

OverHaze

Automaton Tech

107 posts

Sticking with iclip for the moment.  Clips seems like an interesting app, hopefully it will become more useful and less ram heavy in time.

March 3, 2010 8:09 pm
BearBear926

BearBear926

Tinkerer

12 posts

Have you guys tried iClipboard, not to confuse with iClip.
is doing rather well for is intended job.
can also exclude which application that it won't records, namely passwords that i copy out from 1Password.

Mac kicks windoze anyday

March 3, 2010 8:56 pm

genseric

Urchin

2 posts

clipmenu is also cool. superlite and supports some static boards as well. for the best, id definitely suggest pth pasteboard, too bad it s free version is not working for me.

March 3, 2010 9:04 pm
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

Looks like I need to keep clear of this right now. I have a lot of stuff running and don't need a hog, especially as I'm not in big need of a clipboard app.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

March 3, 2010 9:05 pm

RobertBasil

Urchin

2 posts

Well, I would love to try out the app but I am STILL waiting on my license code.

I only purchased the bundle for the Clips and Flow programs but I have yet to receive my license code. All I see is a "You’ll be receiving your Flow license soon. Thanks for your patience."

Helo?.... Anyone home?

March 3, 2010 9:19 pm
lucifurrjones

lucifurrjones

Urchin

1 posts

Wow, between the single license "issue" with Clips and the Equinux (CoverScout/SongGenie) mess, I think I've been deterred from my first nanoBundle purchase. sad

March 3, 2010 10:33 pm

adegans

Urchin

8 posts

True to conceited software, regarding the licensing. Ran in to a similar thing with their linkinus app.. Bought v1 and was promised free updates till version 2.

Then 1.1 comes and after a while i think 1.2 (or 1.1.2) came along. Then nothing for a year and then BAM! with not much new things version 2 and i had to fork over another $20... No way. Back to colloquy then.

While version 1.x works fine, the UI still kinda lacked and that would be fixed with some small updates, which never came.

March 3, 2010 10:55 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

Sadly, this developer appears to have lived up to their namesake. Not a shining example of how a great indy Mac application developer should behave. Would be nice for them to come on the forums and address concerns like other developers.

The licensing issue plus the fact they seem unwilling or incapable of making marked, timely improvements to this application has me turned off big time. I think the Directorate approached the wrong clipboard app developer on this one. Pity.

Get a 2GB Dropbox account + additional space free for you & me

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

March 4, 2010 3:05 am
Highway of life

Highway of life

Gearhead

from Spokane, WA
52 posts

Now this is what I call buggy software... at least they could have labeled it 'Beta'.

1) I could not paste the license key into the license field on registration, I was forced to type it all out.
2) If the application is running in the background (hidden - but board visible), I can't use the hot keys.
3) I can't get abbreviations to work.
4) The icon won't show up in the menu bar when enabled.
5) I enabled sharing of the clipboard on two MacBook Pros on a network, and neither clip board shows up on the shared clips. (I can confirm that our computers are connected to the network properly)
6) When editing a clip, preview does not work.
7) Clips does not start on login when enabled.

Software Engineer | phpBB3 MOD Developer
Programming Guide to phpBB3

March 4, 2010 3:40 am

zzz999

Urchin

from japan
1 posts

It takes more than 2.5GB of real memory...
It seems that Clips loads all of objects that I've copied.
After restarting Clips, still takes 1GB of real memory.

March 4, 2010 7:06 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Clips

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?