Sky Pirate

1,135 posts

Best DVD ripping app ever. 'nuff said.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB FreeSpace

March 3, 2010 1:03 am

SantaIsComing666

Tinkerer

11 posts

Happy about it. MacTheRipper crashes regularly and has problems with a lot of dvds.

March 3, 2010 1:31 am
qqzz

qqzz

Tinkerer

23 posts

Love it!!! Best DVD ripper!

March 3, 2010 1:45 am

pgillan

Urchin

1 posts

I got RipIt in a previous bundle, and it seemed to work well enough, but I found little glitches in a lot of the movies when I watched them later.  At least with MacTheRipper, when there's a problem you know immediately, so you can play with some other ripping options- with RipIt, you don't see the problems until it's too late to do anything about them.  I recently started using MDRP, though, and so far I haven't had any issues with it.

March 3, 2010 2:17 am

presence06

Urchin

1 posts

I'm having an issue where RipIt crashes during a session.. anyone else?

March 3, 2010 2:28 am

f8tlbyte

Urchin

2 posts

Great now I need a bigger HDD, my 640gb is gonna fill up fast!!!

March 3, 2010 2:56 am
TLAF

TLAF

Developer

18 posts

presence06,

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. So that we can assist you, please contact us via Help -> Report Problem inside the RipIt application.

Edit: Thank you jfm429

March 3, 2010 3:07 am
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

TLAF wrote:

White Liar...

Actually the usernames are below that; mine's jfm429 for example.  The "Safe Cracker", "White Liar"; etc. is a forum rank assigned by number of posts.

Also the directorate should get you a "Developer" badge pretty soon so you can be identified more easily.

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

March 3, 2010 3:14 am
pathawks

pathawks

Urchin

from Omaha, NE
8 posts

I was so happy to finally dump MacTheRipper.

RipIt is elegant, fast, and only twice have I found a disc it couldn't handle. BOTH were later fixed via an update!
Oh, and the user interface is quite amazing!

March 3, 2010 3:30 am
Lawdom

Lawdom

Automaton Tech

from Iowa
142 posts

RipIt is great. Been using it for almost a year, fast, and it lives up to its claims of a %99.99 success rate. Definitely looking to gift this one.

March 3, 2010 4:23 am
Kona0428

Kona0428

Tinkerer

14 posts

Cant wait to try Riplt sounds great hope everything runs smoothly so I can put the videos on my iphone.

Yes I'm 14 yes I love macs yes I have an Iphone soon an Ipad and I know I'm a nerd what else could you ask for in life.

March 3, 2010 4:46 am
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

Kona0428 wrote:

Cant wait to try Riplt sounds great hope everything runs smoothly so I can put the videos on my iphone.

That isn't exactly what RipIt's for... it lets you copy the entire DVD onto your computer, but not in an iPhone/iPod compatible format.

If I was helpful, consider signing up for Dropbox on my referral.

March 3, 2010 4:57 am
Kona0428

Kona0428

Tinkerer

14 posts

oh that is sort of a bumer hoped that I could put them on my iphone to bad. ripping a dvd wright now seems to be working fine.

Yes I'm 14 yes I love macs yes I have an Iphone soon an Ipad and I know I'm a nerd what else could you ask for in life.

March 3, 2010 5:05 am
sSasukeuUchiha

sSasukeuUchiha

Tinkerer

from Missouri
36 posts

Actually you can now convert movies with ripit using version 1.4...  It is a beta feature but works well.

March 3, 2010 5:07 am
green_eggs

green_eggs

Gearhead

from Australia
88 posts

Ripit is definitely the easiest ripper I've used - windows or mac. Used the demo for the last couple of weeks and was very happy to see in this bundle. Didn't win in some recent competitions and just as unlikely to win macappist's giveaway...so this was great timing.

Dropbox Referral
Spideroak Referral

March 3, 2010 5:10 am
Kona0428

Kona0428

Tinkerer

14 posts

awesome cant wait to try.

March 3, 2010 5:10 am
sSasukeuUchiha

sSasukeuUchiha

Tinkerer

from Missouri
36 posts

You just go into the settings and change the compression output to iPod and hit convert (or whatever else it may say) and let it run.

March 3, 2010 5:13 am
Kona0428

Kona0428

Tinkerer

14 posts

If you turn it in to an ipod file does it still play on your computer. I assume it will but unshure

March 3, 2010 5:19 am

Apple_Boy

Tinkerer

16 posts

Used RipIt for quite a while, highly recommend it.

Works well, great interface, keep up the good work.

March 3, 2010 5:37 am
pathawks

pathawks

Urchin

from Omaha, NE
8 posts

sSasukeuUchiha wrote:

Actually you can now convert movies with ripit using version 1.4...  It is a beta feature but works well.

HOLY WOW! I've been using RipIt for months and have never noticed this before. big_smile

March 3, 2010 6:05 am
TLAF

TLAF

Developer

18 posts

pathawks wrote:
sSasukeuUchiha wrote:

HOLY WOW! I've been using RipIt for months and have never noticed this before. big_smile

We only released it a couple of days ago! wink

March 3, 2010 6:37 am
TLAF

TLAF

Developer

18 posts

Kona0428 wrote:

If you turn it in to an ipod file does it still play on your computer. I assume it will but unshure

Yes it will.

March 3, 2010 6:38 am
TLAF

TLAF

Developer

18 posts

If anyone has issues with the compressor please let us know as every little bit of feedback will be taken on board to make it as reliable as possible.

March 3, 2010 6:39 am
derickfay

derickfay

Tinkerer

16 posts

what's the best way to get the files created by RipIt onto another DVD in playable form?

March 3, 2010 7:26 am
TLAF

TLAF

Developer

18 posts

derickfay wrote:

what's the best way to get the files created by RipIt onto another DVD in playable form?

We recommend DVD2One or Toast, however the Video_TS files it creates should work in most mainstream burning software.

March 3, 2010 7:36 am
suburbiaboy

suburbiaboy

Tinkerer

from UK
16 posts

I really love RipIt I've totally dumped MTR since I bought it a while back. I use it regularly and have had very very few disks fail. Its looks brilliant too, it's a joy to use as opposed to most ripping software so I highly recommend it.

One thing I would say though (since the guys from The Little App Factory are here), is that I'm all for simplicity but I (like pgillan) have noticed errors occasionally while watching the ripped DVD and they aren't reported when I'm ripping the disk. It would be nice to get a report or just a notification if errors occur so I can try again. Perhaps there should be some sort of optional verify step after the rip or a disk integrity check before?

www.pixelmachine.co.uk

March 3, 2010 9:48 am
TLAF

TLAF

Developer

18 posts

suburbiaboy wrote:

One thing I would say though (since the guys from The Little App Factory are here), is that I'm all for simplicity but I (like pgillan) have noticed errors occasionally while watching the ripped DVD and they aren't reported when I'm ripping the disk. It would be nice to get a report or just a notification if errors occur so I can try again. Perhaps there should be some sort of optional verify step after the rip or a disk integrity check before?

While RipIt 1.4 fixes a lot of these problems, we are always looking at ways to make the process better. If we come up with a nice means of automagically achieving the above then we'll be sure to integrate it!

March 3, 2010 10:06 am

SantaIsComing666

Tinkerer

11 posts

TLAF: I appreciate you being here. Developers who care about their customers and I always feel good when I buy a license from them and use their software.

March 3, 2010 10:47 am
dsw

dsw

Tinkerer

from the land of the kiwis
17 posts

SantaIsComing666 wrote:

TLAF: I appreciate you being here. Developers who care about their customers and I always feel good when I buy a license from them and use their software.

I Agree, thanks TLAF for being one of the Awesome developers that get involved big_smile

March 3, 2010 11:40 am

montagious

Urchin

1 posts

RIPIT is the APP that made me purchase the current bundle, and it is a P.O.S. !!
The one app that won't accept my registration. I've spent 2 hours installing
re-installing, and as their website says "carefully cutting and pasting BOTH
the user name and serial number from the email into registration window"
all to no avail
RIDICULOUS all the other apps will install and work fine.
Why do some companies make it so difficult ?

March 3, 2010 1:38 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

montagious wrote:

...Why do some companies make it so difficult ?

No, that would be one of the other developers in this bundle... I haven't had any issues with RipIt.  If you're having a problem then the developer will help get it straightened out.  No reason to panic...

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

March 3, 2010 2:33 pm
anosou

anosou

Tinkerer

from Sweden
31 posts

TLAF wrote:
suburbiaboy wrote:

While RipIt 1.4 fixes a lot of these problems, we are always looking at ways to make the process better. If we come up with a nice means of automagically achieving the above then we'll be sure to integrate it!

Respect for being here. Also if you could somehow intergrate demuxing (I rip many of my live DVDs for the audio) with the same simple interface I would fall down at your feet and worship you. The main reason that I still have MacTheRipper is that I can rip only the audio stream into .PCM or whatever format.

March 3, 2010 2:54 pm
rvinny

rvinny

Urchin

from Philadelphia
7 posts

RipIt rules. The best one I've used so far

March 3, 2010 3:36 pm
aka.seim

aka.seim

Automaton Tech

from Madrid, Spain
149 posts

Hi! Could any one say me how time takes to rip a DVD? Thanks

Jewel Thief Orange #171 ready for next mission

March 3, 2010 3:55 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

aka.seim wrote:

The speed of ripping depends mostly on the speed of your DVD Burner and the processing capability of your computer. So the faster your computer and the faster your burner the quicker the rips will be.

March 3, 2010 4:04 pm
aka.seim

aka.seim

Automaton Tech

from Madrid, Spain
149 posts

I guess so... :-P I just want some approx. time.
15 minutes? One hour? Three hours?

I wanna know how faster is compared to handbrake, for example. I prefer gain time than gain disk space, but I will not spent 7gb for a DVD if rip it's only one hour faster than convert it.

March 3, 2010 4:16 pm
ebrad

ebrad

Tinkerer

46 posts

aka.seim wrote:

Just for you to get a basic idea, my macbook (early 2007, before they introduced the unibody models) with a standard super drive, 2.4GHz processor, and an upgraded 7200 RPM seagate drive will rip a full DVD in about 35-40 minutes. Ripit essentially reads all the data of the DVD and copies it to your hard drive, there isn't a lot of processing involved. Because of that, it will be significantly faster than Handbrake, which converts the files.

Ripit is a nice app. The devs keep updating it to keep up with whatever new anti copying measures they introduce into the new DVDs. I've been archiving DVDs to a NAS and Ripit saves me time because it automates most of the process; all I have to do is keep feeding the computer DVDs.

March 3, 2010 4:22 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

I have seen people use both software though, RipIt in order to make a complete rip, and handbrake to the do the actual encoding.

March 3, 2010 4:24 pm
aka.seim

aka.seim

Automaton Tech

from Madrid, Spain
149 posts

ebrad wrote:
aka.seim wrote:

Just for you to get a basic idea, my macbook (early 2007, before they introduced the unibody models) with a standard super drive, 2.4GHz processor, and an upgraded 7200 RPM seagate drive will rip a full DVD in about 35-40 minutes. Ripit essentially reads all the data of the DVD and copies it to your hard drive, there isn't a lot of processing involved. Because of that, it will be significantly faster than Handbrake, which converts the files.

Ripit is a nice app. The devs keep updating it to keep up with whatever new anti copying measures they introduce into the new DVDs. I've been archiving DVDs to a NAS and Ripit saves me time because it automates most of the process; all I have to do is keep feeding the computer DVDs.

Thanks!! That's what I need to know.

March 3, 2010 4:30 pm
TLAF

TLAF

Developer

18 posts

montagious wrote:

RIPIT is the APP that made me purchase the current bundle, and it is a P.O.S. !!
The one app that won't accept my registration. I've spent 2 hours installing
re-installing, and as their website says "carefully cutting and pasting BOTH
the user name and serial number from the email into registration window"
all to no avail
RIDICULOUS all the other apps will install and work fine.
Why do some companies make it so difficult ?

We are sorry for the issue. Please contact us directly and we'll endeavour to assist you to the best of our ability.

March 3, 2010 8:54 pm
TLAF

TLAF

Developer

18 posts

anosou wrote:
TLAF wrote:
suburbiaboy wrote:

Respect for being here. Also if you could somehow intergrate demuxing (I rip many of my live DVDs for the audio) with the same simple interface I would fall down at your feet and worship you. The main reason that I still have MacTheRipper is that I can rip only the audio stream into .PCM or whatever format.

As we flesh out the features in compress we'll certainly look into this option. However, I cannot give you any guarantees.

March 3, 2010 8:55 pm

jp004303

Urchin

1 posts

i like the interface and it all seems to be working well, but it seems to completely grind my mac to a standstill while its compressing a dvd sad anyone else having this problem?
still gonna use it though, just have to do something else while its working!

EDIT sorry, ripping a dvd slows it down, the compressing bit is fine!

March 3, 2010 10:17 pm

polaris20

Urchin

1 posts

RipIt puts a DVD archive file on your computer in a format that Handbrake (Handbrake.fr) can read, from which you can convert it to iPod/iPhone/iPod Touch format, as well as AppleTV. So if you're like me and have a young one who's hands are perpetually covered in peanut butter, an out-of-reach AppleTV plus your purchased DVDs converted via RipIt/Handbrake is a nice combo.

March 3, 2010 10:40 pm

gaekwad

Urchin

8 posts

derickfay wrote:

Easiest = Toast. I can't post links yet, but Google 'toast for mac' and you'll get a link to Roxio.
Best = subjective, you might really like Toast smile

I think Disco can also burn VIDEO_TS folders into a DVD player-readable format, which is what you're essentially looking for.

March 3, 2010 11:16 pm
rbr

rbr

Automaton Tech

from The Happy, CA
257 posts

gaekwad wrote:
derickfay wrote:

Easiest = Toast. I can't post links yet, but Google 'toast for mac' and you'll get a link to Roxio.
Best = subjective, you might really like Toast smile

I think Disco can also burn VIDEO_TS folders into a DVD player-readable format, which is what you're essentially looking for.

Disco is all but abandoned.  If you check their site, the last update was over two years ago.  Burn is free, and will do what you're looking for.

PurpleCompadres

March 4, 2010 12:00 am

subatomicsatan

Urchin

3 posts

I've ripped two DVDs so far and while they play fine in iTunes, they refuse to sync to my AppleTV. Actually, I stream all my video to the AppleTV and while DVDs ripped with Handbrake show up fine in the AppleTV, the two I've ripped with RipIt do not. I used the AppleTV, compressed option.

March 4, 2010 12:10 am
TLAF

TLAF

Developer

18 posts

subatomicsatan wrote:

I've ripped two DVDs so far and while they play fine in iTunes, they refuse to sync to my AppleTV. Actually, I stream all my video to the AppleTV and while DVDs ripped with Handbrake show up fine in the AppleTV, the two I've ripped with RipIt do not. I used the AppleTV, compressed option.

Thank you for this report. I've tested it and also seen the same problem and I'm hoping we'll fix this shortly.

March 4, 2010 12:40 am

subatomicsatan

Urchin

3 posts

TLAF wrote:
subatomicsatan wrote:

Thank you for this report. I've tested it and also seen the same problem and I'm hoping we'll fix this shortly.

I also posted it to your website RipIt forum under the title "AppleTV Compatibility?"

Let me know me if you want me to test anything!

March 4, 2010 12:46 am

reedpc

Urchin

6 posts

Just got the bundle, and RipIt WON'T LET ME REGISTER. I'm cutting and pasting my email and serial from my receipt page, but no love. What's up?

March 4, 2010 12:52 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ RipIt

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?