Post your thoughts about Flow here.

Twitter

March 3, 2010 12:43 am
drakhul

drakhul

Tinkerer

from Ridgeland, MS
29 posts

1998 answered the phone and pwned you... I'll take Transmit any day of the week over this turd.

"Destiny is not a matter of chance,
it is a matter of choice;
it is not a thing to be waited for,
it is a thing to be achieved." - unknown

March 3, 2010 1:29 am
MTFox

MTFox

Gearhead

from all over the place (now: UK)
67 posts

drakhul wrote:

1998 answered the phone and pwned you... I'll take Transmit any day of the week over this turd.

Ahhh..., MacHeist is back and so are it's charming customers. Seriously, WTF???!!!

--
GO GREEN! Not just at MacHeist.

March 3, 2010 2:00 am
davecuk

davecuk

Tinkerer

from Scotland
17 posts

MTFox wrote:
drakhul wrote:

Ahhh..., MacHeist is back and so are it's charming customers. Seriously, WTF???!!!

Possibly something to do with the product description on the MH site:

1998 called… it wants its file transfer app back
Are you still using Transmit, an app that dates all the way back to MacOS 8? Well, if so, then it’s time to make room for the new kid in town… Flow.

Get Dropbox + 250MB Free

March 3, 2010 2:18 am

jaydisc

Urchin

5 posts

What is expected delay for receipt of Flow serial number?

March 3, 2010 2:31 am
spolvid

spolvid

Tinkerer

17 posts

To be honest, I though the description on the page was a bit much. Sure, Panic won't participate in your bundle, but that's no reason to be petty.

March 3, 2010 2:55 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

It's not bad... but I still prefer YummyFTP

March 3, 2010 3:16 am
orangehat

orangehat

Gearhead

from Maryland
70 posts

I've been rocking Flow since it's beta group, and already have a license, but I really love this app.

I've never used Transmit very much, but for what I need, I dig Flow! smile

Part of team Orange!

My Referral

March 3, 2010 3:17 am

ericsondr

Urchin

8 posts

I know I can use it in trial mode... but I want my serial... how long?

March 3, 2010 3:28 am
GeekGuy1984

GeekGuy1984

Automaton Tech

from Washington
133 posts

I've been waiting for MacHeist to include Flow in one of their bundles for so long. Looks like the wait is finally up!

This is a triumph...

March 3, 2010 3:43 am
painttheskygrey

painttheskygrey

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta
201 posts

My license file showed up just a little while ago, took maybe an hour to an hour and a half. Just give it time.

March 3, 2010 3:53 am
derickfay

derickfay

Tinkerer

16 posts

Has anyone got Flow to work with WebDAV?  FTP/SFTP and S3 work fine but WebDAV is failing me, with two servers that work fine in the Finder.  It also doesn't seem to save Advanced Settings for WebDAV servers, even when you click Save Changes.

March 3, 2010 3:58 am
Kona0428

Kona0428

Tinkerer

14 posts

What does flow  do the website description wasn't very helpful.

Yes I'm 14 yes I love macs yes I have an Iphone soon an Ipad and I know I'm a nerd what else could you ask for in life.

March 3, 2010 4:41 am

DittoBox

Gearhead

64 posts

This is a great app!

My only problem is that every time I connect to a server that wants to access my private ssh key it asks for me to specify which one to use. There are two, but one I don't use so I removed it. Odd!

Happiness is a loaded camera.

March 3, 2010 4:54 am
bvp663

bvp663

Urchin

from Portland, OR
3 posts

I've tried it before but went back to Forklift which I prefer.

March 3, 2010 5:05 am
painttheskygrey

painttheskygrey

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta
201 posts

Kona0428 wrote:

It's what would generically be called an FTP client, but I believe it is capable of supporting many different protocols, SSH, SFTP, etc. It's mainly for website development. I believe it also has a built-in text editor, you can quick-view things over FTP (which is really nice), and can copy links directly to uploaded items.

March 3, 2010 5:31 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

painttheskygrey wrote:
Kona0428 wrote:

It's what would generically be called an FTP client, but I believe it is capable of supporting many different protocols, SSH, SFTP, etc. It's mainly for website development. I believe it also has a built-in text editor, you can quick-view things over FTP (which is really nice), and can copy links directly to uploaded items.

Well I can verify it does understand SFTP/SSH, and even did ask me which public key I wanted to use when I didn't enter a password for my SSH access.

March 3, 2010 5:33 am
suburbiaboy

suburbiaboy

Tinkerer

from UK
16 posts

From what I saw in the video description, it doesn't seem to offer much more than YummyFTP (which I have) apart from maybe looking a little more slick and polished. Features they were touting including Quicklook and remote editing have all been in Yummy for ages. I don't think Yummy supports S3 or WebDAV yet but the dev has said it's coming at some point.

That being said I do like a little slick in my apps so perhaps I should give it a try.

www.pixelmachine.co.uk

March 3, 2010 9:27 am
dsw

dsw

Tinkerer

from the land of the kiwis
17 posts

When it comes to FTP / File managers, its not bad, but for the number of files / ftp connections that I work it at one time, this doesn't quite make the cut... and I'll be sticking with Forklift.

In saying that, it is actually a really NICE app (esp compared to Transmit / Cyberduck / Filezilla & others) and its good to have another App under the belt for small tasks + the built in editor is kinda nifty for all those tiny tasks and minor updates to sites big_smile

March 3, 2010 11:50 am

mitchkeller

Urchin

3 posts

derickfay wrote:

Has anyone got Flow to work with WebDAV?  FTP/SFTP and S3 work fine but WebDAV is failing me, with two servers that work fine in the Finder.  It also doesn't seem to save Advanced Settings for WebDAV servers, even when you click Save Changes.

A replacement for Cyberduck as my WebDAV client would be great, and that got me excited about Flow. However, I can't get it to work with my course management system (Sakai). I'm wondering if the problem is HTTPS vs. HTTP. However, all I get is "An unknown error occurred." which is not helpful.

Anyone got WebDAV working in Flow?

March 3, 2010 12:12 pm

gaekwad

Urchin

8 posts

The wording on the Flow app page is just outright petty towards Panic. Yes, they won't do Macheist for whatever reasons, we get it - but there's a good reason why many, many people use Transmit for FTP. It works, it plays nice, and it's well-established.

Comparing Flow to Transmit isn't really fair - if you want a more fair comparison, compare Flow and Coda (another Panic app), then you're on the right track.

March 3, 2010 2:02 pm

ghankstef

Urchin

1 posts

Flow crashes on me after logging into my s3 account every time.  SFTP seemed to work for a bit but then crashed.  Anyone else getting this?

Oh well there is always the command line.

March 3, 2010 2:10 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

gaekwad wrote:

The wording on the Flow app page is just outright petty towards Panic. Yes, they won't do Macheist for whatever reasons, we get it - but there's a good reason why many, many people use Transmit for FTP. It works, it plays nice, and it's well-established.

Comparing Flow to Transmit isn't really fair - if you want a more fair comparison, compare Flow and Coda (another Panic app), then you're on the right track.

Its what I call playing dirty, the marketing tactic does work as it intrigues a response as well as causing a viral discussion about seeing what they just did. however its playing dirty when they single out a competitor to smack on to make their own product look better. If a product is good it'll sell on it's own merits without taking qips at another competitor.

Also Transmit 3 seems to have all the same things, with a similar UI to yummyFTP, and its cheaper so not sure what ExtendMac is going on all up about.

March 3, 2010 2:16 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

gaekwad wrote:

Wha-?  You're saying you shouldn't compare an FTP client with another FTP client, but you should compare an FTP client with a complete web development IDE?  Seriously?

Regardless, Flow does do S3, which I was almost going to buy Transmit for anyway, so the bundle came at a good time.  smile

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

March 3, 2010 2:16 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

jfm429 wrote:
gaekwad wrote:

Wha-?  You're saying you shouldn't compare an FTP client with another FTP client, but you should compare an FTP client with a complete web development IDE?  Seriously?

Regardless, Flow does do S3, which I was almost going to buy Transmit for anyway, so the bundle came at a good time.  smile

Translation... you would have gotten Transmit anyways had Flow not been included in the bundle at a much cheaper price big_smile

March 3, 2010 2:27 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

jfm429 wrote:
gaekwad wrote:

Btw this is why he said compare to Coda, from ExtendMac's own marketing:

Beyond just transferring files, Flow enables you to do full-scale web development via its built-in editing and Safari-simulating previews. And we’re not talking about a gimped editor… it has powerful features like syntax coloring, multiple tabs, and code-suggestion.

So you compare it to Panic's offering of full-scale web development, that being Coda which by itself can handle FTP/SFTP as well, it actually makes Flow look dated and not very in tune with the OSX GUI.

Also so what if an app dated back to OS8, means they've had several OS generations to polish a product especially if they've kept it up to date to snow leopard. So just on the merit they're pitching would you support a tried and tested app thats been around longer than I've used a mac... or someone untested and new to the game?

March 3, 2010 2:34 pm
anosou

anosou

Tinkerer

from Sweden
31 posts

I like Flow. I only manage one FTP connection for my own server and for that it's great. Used free offerings (Cyberduck and FileZilla) before but prefer Flow now. Only downside is an annoying crash when you try to delete stuff with backspace instead of +backspace.

Anyway, definitely worth trying out.

March 3, 2010 2:46 pm
Anga69

Anga69

Tinkerer

from Montreal
27 posts

I too cannot get Flow to work with Webdav. Whereas Transmit works just fine with our Webdav course server. It would be great if someone figured it out.

Not orange, not gold, AMBER!!! big_smile

March 3, 2010 3:20 pm
midnightlightning

midnightlightning

Urchin

1 posts

What OS does Flow work on? For those of us still back on 10.4 or 10.5 (my home desktop and work desktop respectively), can we use this app? I can't seem to find minimum requirements on the developer's site.

March 3, 2010 3:47 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

midnightlightning wrote:

What OS does Flow work on? For those of us still back on 10.4 or 10.5 (my home desktop and work desktop respectively), can we use this app? I can't seem to find minimum requirements on the developer's site.

It's summed up in an old post on their blog

http://extendmac.com/blog/2008/01/flow-leopard-only/

Followed by an update edit at the end stating:

[Update: I posted my thoughts and conclusive action to the discussion as a comment. The short version: Yes, Flow will be Leopard-only!]

Followed by it's release on March 29th 2008

It is with euphoric excitement that I announce that Flow will be launching next Friday, April 4th, 2008!

Tell your friends, family, and colleagues — the first Leopard-Only FTP client will be made available on Friday afternoon, for both download and purchase.

Good times ahead!, Brian Amerige.

Where as Trasmit 3 is updated for Snow Leopard yet still supports OS X 10.3.9

March 3, 2010 3:55 pm
Miah

Miah

3,682 posts

I can't exactly test that for you only having a 10.6 machine, but you can test it yourself by downloading the demo first.

If you do, let us know, though.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

March 3, 2010 3:58 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

Miah wrote:

I can't exactly test that for you only having a 10.6 machine, but you can test it yourself by downloading the demo first.

If you do, let us know, though.

It's confirmed by the company's blog and advertisement (upon first release) that they're leopard-only though it is a universal app... but if they're gona go leopard only they might as well go intel only too.

March 3, 2010 4:02 pm
gglanzani

gglanzani

Urchin

8 posts

Still no license for me..I bought it ~5h ago..

March 3, 2010 4:11 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

kblessinggr wrote:
jfm429 wrote:
gaekwad wrote:

Btw this is why he said compare to Coda, from ExtendMac's own marketing:

Beyond just transferring files, Flow enables you to do full-scale web development via its built-in editing and Safari-simulating previews. And we’re not talking about a gimped editor… it has powerful features like syntax coloring, multiple tabs, and code-suggestion.

So you compare it to Panic's offering of full-scale web development, that being Coda which by itself can handle FTP/SFTP as well, it actually makes Flow look dated and not very in tune with the OSX GUI.

Hmm, I never saw the web editing features.  Nice catch.  I still think it's the wrong comparison though; Flow is meant to be primarily an FTP client, whereas Coda is primarily a web IDE.  Think of it this way - would you use Coda for simple FTP uploads/downloads?  Maybe, but you'd probably use something like Flow or Transmit.  Would you use Flow for web development?  Maybe, but you'd probably use something like Coda or Espresso.

kblessinggr wrote:

Also so what if an app dated back to OS8, means they've had several OS generations to polish a product especially if they've kept it up to date to snow leopard. So just on the merit they're pitching would you support a tried and tested app thats been around longer than I've used a mac... or someone untested and new to the game?

I wouldn't say Flow is "untested and new to the game".  Perhaps Panic's offerings are more mature, but that doesn't mean the new stuff is necessarily inferior.  That said, I do think Panic has some amazing stuff.

kblessinggr wrote:
jfm429 wrote:

Translation... you would have gotten Transmit anyways had Flow not been included in the bundle at a much cheaper price big_smile

Kind of.  tongue  Panic doesn't offer an educational discount, but if they did I would have purchased Transmit about 9 days ago, just before the NanoBundle was announced!

EDIT: Edited for clarity

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

March 3, 2010 4:12 pm
Miah

Miah

3,682 posts

kblessinggr wrote:

... but if they're gona go leopard only they might as well go intel only too.

I don't see why. My first gen G5 tower runs Leopard nice and smooth. I should think any PPC model since then should also work with it nicely.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

March 3, 2010 4:13 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

gglanzani wrote:

Yea it took a while for it to show up on the receipt page as a downloadable license file, but least I got that sooner than it took me to activate CoverScout. Actually would have preferred CoverScout to use Flow's method of licensing.

March 3, 2010 4:13 pm
gglanzani

gglanzani

Urchin

8 posts

kblessinggr wrote:
gglanzani wrote:

Yea it took a while for it to show up on the receipt page as a downloadable license file, but least I got that sooner than it took me to activate CoverScout. Actually would have preferred CoverScout to use Flow's method of licensing.

Thanks kblessinggr

March 3, 2010 4:55 pm
derickfay

derickfay

Tinkerer

16 posts

Anga69 wrote:

I too cannot get Flow to work with Webdav. Whereas Transmit works just fine with our Webdav course server. It would be great if someone figured it out.

I submitted a support request with them yesterday as it doesn't work with two WebDAV servers (one Apache, one Xythos) that work fine for me connecting from the Finder.  No answer yet.

March 3, 2010 8:17 pm

RobertBasil

Urchin

2 posts

Well, I would love to try out the app but I am STILL waiting on my license code.

I only purchased the bundle for the Clips and Flow programs but I have yet to receive my license code. All I see is a "You’ll be receiving your Flow license soon. Thanks for your patience."

Helo?.... Anyone home?

March 3, 2010 9:21 pm
MarkSinkinson

MarkSinkinson

Tinkerer

16 posts

RobertBasil wrote:

Well, I would love to try out the app but I am STILL waiting on my license code.

Try it without the code then, it has a 15-day trial before you have to enter the code. Or did you not even bother to open the app?

I'm also waiting, but I like Flow. Seeing as I've only been using FileZilla its not hard to like Flow...

March 3, 2010 10:27 pm
identitylab

identitylab

Tinkerer

30 posts

I was excited to see Flow in the deal.... until I forgot to try it out before purchasing! smile
I'll be sticking to Forklift, which is a awesome app that Flow is "trying" to be... smile

March 3, 2010 10:32 pm

gaekwad

Urchin

8 posts

jfm429 wrote:

Hmm, I never saw the web editing features.  Nice catch.  I still think it's the wrong comparison though; Flow is meant to be primarily an FTP client, whereas Coda is primarily a web IDE.  Think of it this way - would you use Coda for simple FTP uploads/downloads?  Maybe, but you'd probably use something like Flow or Transmit.  Would you use Flow for web development?  Maybe, but you'd probably use something like Coda or Espresso.

It's down to personal workflow, to an extent. Personally, I have Coda in my dock for text editing, web dev and - for the straightforward stuff I do - file transfer (SFTP, WebDAV over HTTPS). Yes, Transmit does more protocols, and I'd dearly love for the two technologies to be sync'd together so they both have everything, but that's just a pipe dream.

Transmit is an app that does FTP, Coda is a solid(-ish) IDE with FTP, Flow is a FTP app with dev-ing stuff. I stand by my statement that comparing Transmit and Flow isn't fair and trash-talking on the MH app page is just weak, frankly.

I haven't bought the nanoBundle as I have the apps I would use from other bundles already - any additional words on the matter would just be self-indulgent, no-one honestly gives a crap about how I'm $20 better off than I thought I'd be wink

March 3, 2010 11:04 pm

stewart02

Urchin

5 posts

I have Transmit, but don't care if its from 1998.. it still wipes the floor with Flow!

March 4, 2010 1:43 am
klex269

klex269

Gearhead

59 posts

why would i use flow over cyberduck?

PROWED MEMBER OF THE WHITE TEAM

March 4, 2010 2:11 am
painttheskygrey

painttheskygrey

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta
201 posts

klex269 wrote:

Droplets, quickview, and the slick interface. It'll also import your bookmarks from Cyberduck.

March 4, 2010 2:29 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

painttheskygrey wrote:
klex269 wrote:

Droplets, quickview, and the slick interface. It'll also import your bookmarks from Cyberduck.

Ok then, why would I use flow over Yummy or Transmit big_smile

March 4, 2010 2:36 am
Sev770

Sev770

Urchin

from Toronto, Ontario
4 posts

I've been waiting a good 2-3 hours for my license and still don't have it! sad

March 4, 2010 3:00 am
shaggy16

shaggy16

Tinkerer

16 posts

I'm an avid Transmit user, and I love Flow so far.

I prefer the interface, it works faster on my setup. The quick view and editing is nice, and will also make my normal workflow faster.

The droplet feature is great too. I tried Expandrive last week, which is awesome in theory but was slow and buggy.

Thanks to Macheist, my new killer combo is Espresso and Flow for development.

http://www.twitter.com/justinluey

March 4, 2010 5:17 am
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

Expandrive was a disaster last time I tried it. It wasn't worthy of beta status at that time. Flow looks nice and feels nice, but when it comes to it, tasks are taking longer for me to do than with Yummy. It's not any different in file transfer speed, it's the bit the user does that's taking longer.

Espresso and Yummy here at the moment.

with best regards,
Karn.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

March 4, 2010 9:04 am

drudoo

Tinkerer

17 posts

Been using cyberduck all my mac life, but it kinda sucks most of the time, so was happy with getting flow big_smile

March 4, 2010 9:56 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Flow

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?