Forums

★ MacJournal

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ MacJournal
Kriana

Kriana

Staff

from Somewhere over the rainbow...
382 posts

Post your thoughts about MacJournal here.

Twitter

March 3, 2010 12:41 am
kman34

kman34

Tinkerer

from Canada
22 posts

It rocks. But like most I already have a license.

The best career during the economic crisis is... becoming a personal support worker.  http://www.pswjobs.com is the stop.

March 3, 2010 1:25 am
drakhul

drakhul

Tinkerer

from Ridgeland, MS
29 posts

this entire bundle is a waste of html code...

"Destiny is not a matter of chance,
it is a matter of choice;
it is not a thing to be waited for,
it is a thing to be achieved." - unknown

March 3, 2010 1:31 am

justelise

Urchin

1 posts

If you are thinking of getting MacJournal to use as a blog editor, don't waste your time, especially if you use WordPress. It's a fine application, but a real blog client it is not.

March 3, 2010 1:58 am
MTFox

MTFox

Gearhead

from all over the place (now: UK)
67 posts

drakhul wrote:

So is your post, mate. And probably your life.

--
GO GREEN! Not just at MacHeist.

March 3, 2010 2:02 am
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

justelise wrote:

If you are thinking of getting MacJournal to use as a blog editor, don't waste your time, especially if you use WordPress. It's a fine application, but a real blog client it is not.

+1

It works well if you do basic blogging, but it has a tough time with image manipulation around text and other advanced blogging needs. Great as a journaling app and/or note taking app. I use it as my private journal.

Get a 2GB Dropbox account + additional space free for you & me

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

March 3, 2010 3:07 am

mirsky

Tinkerer

39 posts

Hi. I am considering buying the bundle based on whether MacJournal is a good blogging tool. I just created an account on blogspot so I could test it out. It seems to work with text but when I added  an image to an entry in Macjournal, the image didn't show up on blogspot. I have no idea if the problem is with Macjournal, blogspot or whether I'm doing something wrong. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks

March 3, 2010 3:34 am
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

mirsky wrote:

Hi. I am considering buying the bundle based on whether MacJournal is a good blogging tool. I just created an account on blogspot so I could test it out. It seems to work with text but when I added  an image to an entry in Macjournal, the image didn't show up on blogspot. I have no idea if the problem is with Macjournal, blogspot or whether I'm doing something wrong. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks

You need to set-up MacJournal up to upload pics to a Picasa or similar account. Look in MacJournal's help menu to see how.

Edit/Addition:
Let me take this opportunity to clarify my last post: MacJournal posts pictures to blogs just fine. If you generally just plan to have a photo posted with no frills as to how it looks in a post, MJ is fine. Basically, it's a solid app for an amateur blogger. My problem is I like to have more control over images. For example, adjusting a photo left or right, adding some padding, and having the text inline with the photo. MacJournal cannot do things like this at present.

I did, a few months back, bring this point up to the developer, and he did respond in a favorable way as to indicate that improved features along these lines might be added down the road.

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

March 3, 2010 3:49 am
Kona0428

Kona0428

Tinkerer

14 posts

I am not in to the whole journal thing and I only blog research paper resources so this app wasn't the greatest for a person of my type but if there is something I am missing from this app let me know.

Yes I'm 14 yes I love macs yes I have an Iphone soon an Ipad and I know I'm a nerd what else could you ask for in life.

March 3, 2010 4:51 am
bvp663

bvp663

Urchin

from Portland, OR
3 posts

Any reason that folks use this over Evernote (for non-blog related reasons)?

March 3, 2010 5:06 am
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Thanks WalrusCP for explanation
What a pitty - "adjusting a photo left or right, ... and having the text inline with the photo" is what I call basic. The same for send up images to the same account at eg Wordpress. Yes, a pitty as MacJournal was my main reason for buying the bundle ... now I have to find another excuse wink

Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free

March 3, 2010 5:09 am
choma

choma

Automaton Tech

from uk
496 posts

Hmmm... downloaded and copied to my app folder....

and the icon name is in Chinese characters!

Deleted it (the Macheist download seems to be ver 5.1) and downloaded 5.2 from the macJournal site.

and all is well!!!!

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜
Use my DROPBOX link and we both get an extra 250mb free!
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTYxNTMzNDk

March 3, 2010 10:02 am
Hazzgard

Hazzgard

Gearhead

56 posts

I use Macjournal for a year now and I use it to plan my holidays, put all information I need, the excursion I will do etc...

It's a basic blog tool, but you can do blogging if you just type text.

Really a nice app, I love the printing option directly in macjournal. When I look for hotels or destinations on safari, then everything is in macjournal to plan my trips.

Viva TBBT, hope it will last a max !

March 3, 2010 10:32 am
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Anyone found a good guide for using dropbox share it between computers?

Just found an old one where they promised to make changes to sync it easier with dropbox

March 3, 2010 10:39 am
Sulcalibur

Sulcalibur

Automaton Tech

from London, United Kingdom
365 posts

MTFox wrote:
drakhul wrote:

His life is a waste of HTML code?!? - WTF does that even mean??!?!?!? LMAO!

You should Follow me at - Sulcalibur cool
Dropbox - The best online backup tool. Use this link to get EXTRA space added to your FREE account!
You know it makes sense wink

March 3, 2010 12:55 pm
JackV

JackV

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,072 posts

I like MacJournal a lot. It is my Journler-Replacement and I use it for planning trips, Organizing several projects of mine, occasional diary.

It has lots of features and feels pretty complete.

I write about Juice on Entsafter.co

March 3, 2010 1:30 pm
remedyloame

remedyloame

Tinkerer

from New Zealand
19 posts

I just spent a few hours with it, I'm not into keeping journals or blogging all that much but so far this is great for my note-taking and homework-type needs.  Can definitely see how it would be useful for planning trips, too.

[ Twitter ]

March 3, 2010 2:36 pm
MTFox

MTFox

Gearhead

from all over the place (now: UK)
67 posts

Sulcalibur wrote:
MTFox wrote:
drakhul wrote:

His life is a waste of HTML code?!? - WTF does that even mean??!?!?!? LMAO!

It means he can't possibly be real; he's most likely just an alpha stage HTML5 application, testing AR (artificial rudeness) on the general public. Or something.

--
GO GREEN! Not just at MacHeist.

March 3, 2010 3:56 pm
JONAH237

JONAH237

Automaton Tech

273 posts

Anybody, Somebody, Anyone or Someone,

Any idea what version of MacJournal this is ?

Kindest Regards,

An interested Spectator!

March 3, 2010 4:05 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

JONAH237 wrote:

Anybody, Somebody, Anyone or Someone,

Any idea what version of MacJournal this is ?

Kindest Regards,

An interested Spectator!

It installed as 5.1, but you can immediately update to 5.2 upon opening.

March 3, 2010 4:09 pm
choma

choma

Automaton Tech

from uk
496 posts

In fact you can download version 5.2 from their site and use your MacHeist serial number too.

Use my DROPBOX link and we both get an extra 250mb free!
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTYxNTMzNDk

March 3, 2010 4:24 pm
kingkaramel

kingkaramel

Automaton Tech

from Germany
415 posts

That looks promising:

New features in 5.2:
    •    Support for syncing with the iPhone/iPod Touch version of MacJournal

March 3, 2010 5:22 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

kingkaramel wrote:

That looks promising:

New features in 5.2:
    •    Support for syncing with the iPhone/iPod Touch version of MacJournal

Indeed, shame I went with an Android based phone though tongue (I do have an iPod Touch however)

March 3, 2010 5:29 pm

Mariner.support

Urchin

1 posts

When images don't post along with the text sent to Blogger (as an example) it is due to circumstances that may or may not be controllable by a typical user. It has to do with security set for permissions on specific folders. As a workaround, MacJournal can send to an alternate ftp location or to a service, like Picasa. Hope this info helps to clarify why it may not post an image along with the text.

March 3, 2010 5:39 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

Mariner.support wrote:

When images don't post along with the text sent to Blogger (as an example) it is due to circumstances that may or may not be controllable by a typical user. It has to do with security set for permissions on specific folders. As a workaround, MacJournal can send to an alternate ftp location or to a service, like Picasa. Hope this info helps to clarify why it may not post an image along with the text.

Makes sense though, cuz where is it gona push the file on blogger? Most people have to link from online file sharing places anyways.

March 3, 2010 5:45 pm
manikje

manikje

Automaton Tech

126 posts

Hi Mariner Support and others,
Is there a way to set the language back to English? It's localized to my native language and it seems to automatically switch to the system language, but as is very often the case with all kinds of software the localization is mediocre to say the least...

Rotting mushroom, by popular request.
"And those of little faith chose orange, and Jebediah told them: "Let green be chosen and God's will be done. For green to God is more pleasing than either violet or blue."
-  Jonah 3:12-14

March 3, 2010 6:18 pm
JackV

JackV

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,072 posts

wait... there`s an app for that:

http://www.tj-hd.co.uk/en-gb/languageswitcher/

Best regards,
Chris

I write about Juice on Entsafter.co

March 3, 2010 6:21 pm
manikje

manikje

Automaton Tech

126 posts

Chris, thank you for that überswift reply.

EDIt: I just had a look at that app, Chris, and it's incredible! I wish I found it long ago. Now I can get rid of all the shoddy translations on my Mac, thank you so much.

"And those of little faith chose orange, and Jebediah told them: "Let green be chosen and God's will be done. For green to God is more pleasing than either violet or blue."

March 3, 2010 6:22 pm
rahimk

rahimk

Urchin

from Toronto ON
7 posts

anyone wanna help me with setting up macjournal with a wordpress.com account. i connected everything fine and chose movabletype as the type of blog since wordpress is not a option and the upload was unable to send pictures or formatting correctly.

what type of blog type should i use to connect with wordpress.com

http://iRahim.com

March 3, 2010 8:34 pm
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

Choose "edit blog server" and put in the server data manually, and "WordPress" should appear in the blog type field.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB free backup space

March 3, 2010 8:39 pm
rahimk

rahimk

Urchin

from Toronto ON
7 posts

nope wordpress is not appearing it keeps selecting movabletype as a default sad

i tried the whole manual setup, any setting that i might be missing??

March 3, 2010 8:47 pm
rahimk

rahimk

Urchin

from Toronto ON
7 posts

never mind i think i got it (blog type set to metatype). thankx moviegod for the quick help. now just hope it keeps working as promised.

March 3, 2010 8:58 pm
remedyloame

remedyloame

Tinkerer

from New Zealand
19 posts

Sorry to veer off-topic briefly, but I had to second the thanks for the link to the Language Switcher app. I'm trying to learn another language at the moment, so this really was a boon!

[ Twitter ]

March 3, 2010 10:05 pm
lecycliste

lecycliste

Automaton Tech

from Switzerland
122 posts

is the macjournal iphone app available yet?  can't seem to find it (USA only?)

Cycling leads to Wisdom

March 3, 2010 10:48 pm
sterlizzi

sterlizzi

Gearhead

67 posts

FYI: I migrated my Journler entries over to MacJournal by copying my Journler "Journler Entries" folder to the sidebar of MacJournal.   The only problem was the links to the videos would call up Journler so I needed to right-click on the links in the corresponding Journler entry and show the original video in Finder and then copy it to MacJournal.  Fortunately, I didn't have many videos to migrate.

I hope this is useful for someone.

http://stephenterlizzi.com/

March 4, 2010 12:08 am
mrstinson

mrstinson

Gearhead

from Bay Area
94 posts

lecycliste wrote:

is the macjournal iphone app available yet?  can't seem to find it (USA only?)

The iPhone app is coming soon (per site)
http://www.marinersoftware.com/templates/marinersoftware/images/macjournal/MJiPhone.jpg

big_smiletongue:D MacHeist 1 Club big_smiletongue:D

March 4, 2010 12:16 am
manikje

manikje

Automaton Tech

126 posts

... like The Hit List's iphone app from last year. That's still 'coming soon'. See first, believe later.

March 4, 2010 12:50 am
Mariner1

Mariner1

Developer

from Minneapolis, MN
7 posts

Hey Folks-
Just so you know, we submitted MacJournal for the iPhone and iPod Touch last week and are hoping that it goes live any day in the App Store.

thanks,
Mike
Mariner Software

March 4, 2010 2:49 am
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

manikje wrote:

... like The Hit List's iphone app from last year. That's still 'coming soon'. See first, believe later.

Mariner1 wrote:

Hey Folks-
Just so you know, we submitted MacJournal for the iPhone and iPod Touch last week and are hoping that it goes live any day in the App Store.

thanks,
Mike
Mariner Software

Burn!

Glad to see Mariner beat me to saying the app was close to being in our hands. Very excited to see it released.

March 4, 2010 3:17 am
ksc91u

ksc91u

Urchin

2 posts

If you want a blog editor, I would recommend try Flock Browser.

Does anyone have Circus Ponies NoteBook and MacJournal?
Which one do you like better?

Republic of Taiwan

March 4, 2010 5:43 am
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

I have 3 friends who have both and say NoteBook is a country mile ahead of MacJournal. I haven't run either yet, and quite possibly won't.

with best regards,
Karn.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

March 4, 2010 9:00 am
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

I don't think they're really comparable. MacJournal seems nice enough for blogging and has some functions in that regard that NoteBook doesn't have.

For journaling (as in, writing fou yourself, getting thoughts on paper) NoteBook is IMO preferable, since MacJournal (like all Mariner apps) feels quite sterile and doesn't lend itself to creative writing as much.

But what someone needs in order to be able to write creatively, is a very personal thing, so that's what trial versions are for.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB free backup space

March 4, 2010 9:37 am
hoyaman

hoyaman

Big Game Hunter

from Houston, TX
940 posts

WalrusCP wrote:
manikje wrote:

Mariner1 wrote:

Hey Folks-

thanks,
Mike
Mariner Software

Burn!

Glad to see Mariner beat me to saying the app was close to being in our hands. Very excited to see it released.

I'm just extremely glad the apps are compatible with the iPhone OS, and not iPad-spefic, as I fear the Omni apps will be.  AND why I wonder why I still wonder why I can edit word docs but not pages docs on my iPod Touch...

Of course, my unreasonable dream as always is the ability to possibly not use the MacJournal license, but instead redeem the purchase for that app's MSRP towards some other Mariner app that's in another bundle but not this one. Yes, I know it's unreasonable and way too much work for the company. But I guy can dream, right? wink

Mozy - backup to the cloud, restore when your computer bites the dust.
BBCODE snippets for TYPINATOR!
DROPBOX: GET 250MB extra FREE!

March 4, 2010 9:40 am
rbr

rbr

Automaton Tech

from The Happy, CA
257 posts

Mariner1 wrote:

Hey Folks-

thanks,
Mike
Mariner Software

Sweeeeeet!  Looking forward to this.  MacJournal is solid.  I got it a while back.  No complaints.

Mike, this is probably more of a support question, but did you guys drop the Send to iWeb function with 5.2?  I never really used that, but I noticed it missing.

Thank you!

PurpleCompadres

March 4, 2010 10:51 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

It's really nice to see such a fantastic app in the NanoBundle; with the sad demise of Journler, MacJournal has become the de facto premiere journalling app for the Mac.

For anyone interested, you can follow development of MacJournal, as well as the release of beta builds, here: http://danschimpf.blogspot.com/

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

March 4, 2010 11:53 am
MarkSinkinson

MarkSinkinson

Tinkerer

16 posts

You can also sign up to get an email when MacJournal is approved in the App Store. Not sure if everyone who has a license will automatically get emails though?

March 4, 2010 1:50 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

rbr wrote:
Mariner1 wrote:

Hey Folks-

thanks,
Mike
Mariner Software

Sweeeeeet!  Looking forward to this.  MacJournal is solid.  I got it a while back.  No complaints.

Mike, this is probably more of a support question, but did you guys drop the Send to iWeb function with 5.2?  I never really used that, but I noticed it missing.

Thank you!

Here's the reply to your question about iWeb: http://thurly.net/fzr. In a nut shell, it looks like it was dropped because it never functioned very well due to some limitations on Apple's end.

March 4, 2010 3:23 pm
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Just want to say that I have started to use it and it looks very good and handy. Look forward to exploring it more. Thanks to Mariner Software for participating in the bundle!

March 4, 2010 3:28 pm
mrstinson

mrstinson

Gearhead

from Bay Area
94 posts

Will MacJournal be connecting to Tumblr in the near future, ever?

big_smiletongue:D MacHeist 1 Club big_smiletongue:D

March 4, 2010 5:13 pm
Lawdom

Lawdom

Automaton Tech

from Iowa
142 posts

Serious question about MacJournal here: does it work with iWeb or not. The manual says you can send journal entries to iWeb. The developer blog says this feature was disabled and they are working on it. Any one with iWeb '09 who can answer this?

March 4, 2010 6:01 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ MacJournal

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?