★ MacJournal

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ MacJournal
rbr

rbr

Automaton Tech

from The Happy, CA
257 posts

WalrusCP wrote:

Here's the reply to your question about iWeb: http://thurly.net/fzr. In a nut shell, it looks like it was dropped because it never functioned very well due to some limitations on Apple's end.

Thanks Walrus!

PurpleCompadres

March 4, 2010 6:17 pm

oscars1246

Tinkerer

13 posts

kingkaramel wrote:

That looks promising:

New features in 5.2:
    •    Support for syncing with the iPhone/iPod Touch version of MacJournal

unfortunately… The Hit List, said the same thing… how many years later, and still no iphone app… not that i'm bitter.

March 4, 2010 6:47 pm
Mariner1

Mariner1

Developer

from Minneapolis, MN
7 posts

Hi -
Sorry for the delay with answering the iWeb question. 5.2 does not support iWeb due to some issues on Apple's end. We are looking at workarounds for future versions but it's really up in the air right now. We'll need to make sure we update our manual to reflect the current landscape. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

best,
Mike

March 4, 2010 9:08 pm
JackBNimble

JackBNimble

Automaton Tech

from London, ON
119 posts

Like some others in this forum, I'm using MacJournal as a Journler replacement.

I've migrated my Journler entries today. I was hoping for an easy way to move my photos, PDFs, movies and sound clips but it looks like I will have to do them manually. The interface and workflow needs some getting used to but that'll come with time.

All in all, I'm happy with MacJournal. I have some other products from Mariner; they are a solid dependable company.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 5, 2010 3:00 am
Lawdom

Lawdom

Automaton Tech

from Iowa
142 posts

Mariner1 wrote:

Hi -
Sorry for the delay with answering the iWeb question. 5.2 does not support iWeb due to some issues on Apple's end. We are looking at workarounds for future versions but it's really up in the air right now. We'll need to make sure we update our manual to reflect the current landscape. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

best,
Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. Copy and paste seems like a popular way of adding to iWeb for now. I'm giving the trial a run through tonight. ** Note, worked great! Definitely getting this one and urge Mike to keep working on iWeb integration **

March 5, 2010 4:18 am
dAlen

dAlen

Tinkerer

44 posts

just opened it...

on first observation I dont see icons for photos/movies, etc., [functions that app apparently supports], as well as I dont see them listed in the menus when I quickly looked through them afterwards.

As JackBNimble mentioned, it will take some getting used to... which means another app I may end up not using.
First impressions usually stick unless I hear something that makes me go and give it another try.

With all the writing programs I have, WriteRoom, Mariner Write, Neo Office, now Journal... I still use text edit from apple. [Tried Mariner Write as everyone seemed to like it, but it was to buggy and text was not crisp... that bugged me most.]

So hopefully the interface will be more intuitive in future updates of journal... [will give it one more look over and see if it will work well with wordpress - would love to have backups of my entries on harddrive.]

Peace

dAlen

March 5, 2010 6:42 am
dAlen

dAlen

Tinkerer

44 posts

quick update...

after playing around with customization things make more sense and actually appear to be cool.
Now just a matter of trying it out. [like the tab option for new entries as well as Taco!] big_smile

Hopefully I can get it set up for wordpress [can it pull entries from wordpress?]

Peace

dAlen

March 5, 2010 7:36 am
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

dAlen wrote:

[can it pull entries from wordpress?]

Yep. Menu item "journal", then "Download blog entries" (or something to that effect, I run it in German).

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB free backup space

March 5, 2010 7:38 am
dAlen

dAlen

Tinkerer

44 posts

Thanks moviegod - guess I needed to just give it more time...
This is turning out to be pretty cool after all!

Peace

dAlen

March 5, 2010 8:04 am
drlemon

drlemon

Tinkerer

10 posts

After playing around, I found why macjournal is so great. The TACO. THE TACO ROCKO!

Visit wecangogogo.com!

March 5, 2010 1:53 pm
Mariner1

Mariner1

Developer

from Minneapolis, MN
7 posts

Agreed drlemon! The taco does rocko. :-)

And for those with more of a refined taste, see if you can find the taco easter egg.

March 5, 2010 2:33 pm
Scandalous

Scandalous

Sky Pirate

1,528 posts

Sulcalibur wrote:
MTFox wrote:
drakhul wrote:

this entire bundle is a waste of html code...

So is your post, mate. And probably your life.

His life is a waste of HTML code?!? - WTF does that even mean??!?!?!? LMAO!

Hahahahaha!

I bought the bundle last night and the main reason was for MacJournal. I've been looking at note taking apps for a few weeks now, and last night reviewed a bunch more for my school note taking needs and it came down to MacJournal, based on price and more importantly, my needs. Blogging with MacJournal? Heck no. But a light weight, clean & organized app that has a nice UI - that creates a plain hierarchy for notes? It's perfect.

A bundle with MacJournal, RipIt (which is awesome), Flow, and Rapidweaver (not to mention the other apps) $17 freaking dollars is NOTHING - there is no way this bundle is a waste.

Some people need to give their head a good shake before speaking/typing.

Click DropBox to sync files online & across your computers for FREE + receive an additional 250 MB.

March 5, 2010 3:14 pm
MarkSinkinson

MarkSinkinson

Tinkerer

16 posts

Mariner1 wrote:

Agreed drlemon! The taco does rocko. :-)

And for those with more of a refined taste, see if you can find the taco easter egg.

I'm assuming you mean the Shakespeare quotes?

March 5, 2010 5:07 pm
Hexabyss

Hexabyss

Urchin

from USA
6 posts

I'm enjoying MacJournal so far; It's sufficiently powerful & light for my needs (note-taking rather than a diary).

I'm hoping their upcoming iPhone app will work well enough to be a complete replacement for my current cross-device note-taking system: Shovebox.

March 5, 2010 11:04 pm
mkun

mkun

Gearhead

from Japan
90 posts

I have to say that this app is very well made. I just cracked it open and am already falling in love with it. One of the best features is the integrated full-screen mode; it allows for great distraction free entry the way that WriteRoom does, but with direct entry into MacJournal. This just makes so much sense to me, and really made me giddy to play around with it.

And yes, I did set the background to blue and the typeface to white to get that Doogie Howser MD vibe going (also spent over an hour trying to decide between fixedsys TTF, Glass VT220 or Chicago fonts...).

This would make a good app for some lightweight authoring. Could be good for NaNoWriMo type projects.

March 6, 2010 4:33 pm
JH2071

JH2071

Tinkerer

from Japan
10 posts

Any chance of Simplenote syncing support for text-only notes? That would seal the deal for me.

Otherwise, MacJournal is awesome. It's already on my always-open list.

Moukolog: One Place I Write
Follow me on Twitter

March 8, 2010 9:10 am
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

Right now I don't hate MacJournal, but I wouldn't drink a beer with it or let it date my sister (mainly because I don't drink beer and I don't have a sister).
Actually I'm having trouble figuring out what MacJournal really is, other than "check the website" is there an answer for what MacJournal is supposed to let you do? Anyone care to share what they use it for?

March 8, 2010 11:18 am
Mariner1

Mariner1

Developer

from Minneapolis, MN
7 posts

Hi iDarbert-
I can probably help you out. What is MacJournal? MacJournal is the world's most popular journaling software for Mac OS X. I'd say about 60% of our customer base uses MJ to chronicle their lives and that's about as far as they take it.  In this context, one can add any kind of content like text, PDFs, QuickTime movies, images, really just about anything. Given this, MJ also overlaps into the organizer space. Lots of our customers will use MJ exclusively for that. If they get an idea for a book, a lyric for a song (lots of recording artists use MJ), a cool image on a web site, they will drag it/write it in MJ.  You can also record audio and video (many customers write in saying they use MJ to document their kids growing up or maybe capture a grandparent talking about "the good ol days"). From the blogging side of things, one can even publish to a blog account on Blogger, WordPress, LiveJournal, and even a mobileme account. MacJournal also supports 10 different languages so we'd like to think it's really more of a global app.

Hope that gives you the 30,000 foot view. For more info, "check the web site." :-)

Mike
Mariner Software

March 8, 2010 2:46 pm
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,766 posts

Is there a way to prevent MacJournal from deleting posts on an online blog? I once demoed it and I somehow accidently deleted all posts from my personal blog.

EDIT: It happened with a Wordpress blog

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

March 8, 2010 3:06 pm
jsm

jsm

Tinkerer

from Darkside of the Moon
43 posts

@Mariner1 Would you mind commenting on the advantages or differences between MacJournal and Circus Ponies' Notebook? Any advantage to using one or the other besides the blogging feature in MJ?  Thanks!

It's me!

March 8, 2010 3:18 pm
PatrickHoulihan

PatrickHoulihan

Tinkerer

12 posts

iDarbert,

I've had MacJournal less than a week, so Mike's (Mariner1) comments above will be much more valuable. But, like you, I don't drink beer or have a sister, so maybe my views will help. I downloaded a demo copy a few days before nanoBundle2 began, decided to buy it soon, and then saved some money by purchasing it from MacHeist.

I downloaded MacJournal for basic journaling. I had tried keeping a journal with online services and with other software. MacJournal is the first application that feels like it's the right tool for the job. Perfect.

I've read comments elsewhere from people who said Evernote is just as good as MacJournal for journaling. I love Evernote as an "input box," but it lacks the ability to format text well enough to serve as a journaling tool. Despite some obvious similarities by organizing with journals/notebooks and tabs, there are a lot of other differences that make each of these great pieces of software appropriate for different jobs.

As a professor, I briefly considered using MacJournal for organizing my course plans. But I've always used applications with outlining features for this, such as OmniOutliner and Word's outline function. MacJournal wasn't quite right. (I have read of other teachers who love using MacJournal for class plans.)

However, MacJournal has met a need in my job in an unexpected way. I teach music composition, and I've never had an acceptable method of keeping notes on each student's lesson. MacJournal has been ideal. I have a journal for each student and I create a new entry after each lesson. I can drag notation files, pdfs, and audio files directly into each student's journal, so my notes and their work are organized by tabs and MacJournal's calendar. Before each lesson, I review my notes from that student's previous session. I've tried a lot of other software for this, but nothing has fit my needs nearly as well as MacJournal. It has made a difference in my work after only one week, and it will be invaluable after a few semesters when I use it to look back over a student's work. Obviously, this specific way of using it will not be important to many people. But great software always meets the intended need and eventually helps in unpredictable ways. Like me, you'll probably find some unique uses for it.

March 8, 2010 3:38 pm
Gonzie

Gonzie

Automaton Tech

from British Isles
395 posts

I'm glad someone picked up on the "coming soon" bit what with everyone waiting for thehitlist app and even tweetie2 mac but I'm pleased to see the developer on the ball with the iPhone app already submitted to Apple.

relieved we are not talking Duke Nukem Forever kinda wait here, which the hitlist is quickly turning into.

back on topic, I'm loving MacJournal which just might encourage me to keep writing about my life

There's bullet holes where my compassion used to be
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 8, 2010 4:52 pm

rebel09

Tinkerer

11 posts

I'm also curious about the advantages of this app over Notebook.  I have notebook right now but find that I don't use it as much as I would like to.  How good of a blogging tool is MacJournal because that is one of the things I would really use it for.

March 8, 2010 6:46 pm
PatrickHoulihan

PatrickHoulihan

Tinkerer

12 posts

rebel09, I don't have any experience blogging with MacJournal. Macworld has a very recent, quite favorable review, and it mentions the pros and cons of blogging with MacJournal. (MacHeist's forum guidelines won't let me post the link because I'm new. Go to Macworld's site and search for "MacJournal 5.1 Review." It's dated February 24, 2010.)

I bought Notebook several years ago. Its organizational features are quite creative and interesting, but I found it to be frustrating and used it less and less. It took too much time to format text and get pages set up. Some things took too many steps, and it seemed I was having to repeat way too many steps that should have been saved to and applied from styles. When an updated version came out, it wasn't worth it for me to pay again. That said, some people really love Notebook.

March 8, 2010 7:23 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

Ah-ha, thanks everybody for the input... I think I got the basic idea behind it.
I'm fiddling with it right now, been using it in the past days to jot down notes for my lectures - having particular pages linked to a specific date seems kinda useful.

Hopefully I'll get more out of it as I learn to use it properly smile

March 8, 2010 8:01 pm
Mariner1

Mariner1

Developer

from Minneapolis, MN
7 posts

Hi JSM and Rebel09-
Notebook and MacJournal do overlap a bit but for the most part, serve two separate customers. By the way, I think Notebook is a great app and Jason, the developer, seems like a good guy who is attentive to the needs of his customers. I admittedly haven't looked at Notebook in a while but last I recall it's more of what I would classify as an organizer (ie: it doesn't have blogging functionality, it isn't configured to be a journal). MacJournal has organizer features but then also gives the user the ability to use their content in more of a journal format and layout. Additionally, if you are an extrovert and want to publish your thoughts to the world, you can do so with MacJournal (and a blog account).

Ultimately it's really about how _you_ would use either app. If you are just wanting to do some organization, Notebook might be worth checking out. If you are looking to blog or journal, MacJournal might be the way to go.

Mike

March 8, 2010 10:21 pm
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

Hm. "The competition doesn't have this feature, but we have that feature." Nicely done ;-)

March 8, 2010 10:47 pm
jsm

jsm

Tinkerer

from Darkside of the Moon
43 posts

PatrickHoulihan wrote:

I bought Notebook several years ago. Its organizational features are quite creative and interesting, but I found it to be frustrating and used it less and less.

Great input. I found the same thing. I guess I'll just have to check out MJ thoroughly.

It's me!

March 8, 2010 10:57 pm
buttermilk

buttermilk

Gearhead

from california
66 posts

I'm looking forward to trying MacJournal for story notes and personal journal entries. 

I've had my eye on Mariner's Contour and Montage for awhile.  Now I'm glad there's an opportunity to test their app waters with the nanobundle.

i miss talking moose

March 9, 2010 1:48 am
shaggy16

shaggy16

Tinkerer

16 posts

Are there any plans to add Tumblr support?

http://www.twitter.com/justinluey

March 9, 2010 2:03 am
mrstinson

mrstinson

Gearhead

from Bay Area
94 posts

shaggy16 wrote:

+1

big_smiletongue:D MacHeist 1 Club big_smiletongue:D

March 9, 2010 5:25 pm
kryptonite444

kryptonite444

Gearhead

from Mattawa, WA
66 posts

I like the journal feature of MacJournal best, but the blog integration makes it a little more interesting.  I like the idea of multiple journals because I can keep one private - for my posterity or something - and one public - for blogging or something.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing would be Markdown support.

March 9, 2010 5:41 pm
cianmm

cianmm

Automaton Tech

from Dublin, Ireland
408 posts

Is there any way to get it to post drafts to self hosted wordpress blogs? I haven't found one.

Here comes my fourth season of MacHeist!

March 9, 2010 7:00 pm

sojourner4869

Urchin

1 posts

Hi
Version 5.2.1b1.1 is out.

Here are the changes:
Fixes a few small bugs found in that release.
Among the useful changes, PNG images will upload to blog servers and look better.
Configuring new Picasa settings should work better now.
Spell checking should work better in Full Screen.

March 9, 2010 11:11 pm

timtr

Urchin

1 posts

mrstinson wrote:
shaggy16 wrote:

+1

+1

March 10, 2010 7:15 pm
farcaller

farcaller

Tinkerer

from Kiev, Ukraine
18 posts

timtr wrote:
mrstinson wrote:
shaggy16 wrote:

+1

+1

I don't really like this kind of posts, but +1 from me, would be a very nice feature.

Purple. And lazy.

March 10, 2010 7:52 pm

djmakk

Urchin

from winnipeg
2 posts

I like the blog integration potential of macjournal, but I have one question. Is there a way to post html picture links in the post? I use flickr for all my picture hosting and I cant find a way to fit that into my work flow with macjournal.

thoughts?

March 11, 2010 6:26 am
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

djmakk wrote:

I like the blog integration potential of macjournal, but I have one question. Is there a way to post html picture links in the post? I use flickr for all my picture hosting and I cant find a way to fit that into my work flow with macjournal.

thoughts?

You can set up MJ to upload images to Picasa and via other methods. You can find out how on page 24 of the help manual (under the help menu). I do not think there is a way to use Flickr as of yet, but I imagine if you email Mariner Software they'll find a way to add it (if they don't already have plans).

Get a 2GB Dropbox account + additional space free for you & me

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

March 11, 2010 6:33 am

djmakk

Urchin

from winnipeg
2 posts

thanks for the reply. I did read the manual (surprised myself there too) and I noticed the picasa method, but it doesnt quite fit what I am doing. I maintain my flickr images in that community, but some have overlap into my blog content.  I dont really want to post to flickr from macjournal rather I want to just be able to paste the image code/link into macjournal and have it recognize it for what it is when it uploads the post. 

As it stands right now, pasting that code into macjournal uploads the text of the code as text rather than am image.

March 11, 2010 6:58 am

Hakan Aldrin

Urchin

1 posts

When buying the bundle I gave away MacJournal to a friend, however, I used the wrong email address. Can I change the email address somehow?

March 11, 2010 9:16 am
Shadoslaya

Shadoslaya

Urchin

from Brisbane
9 posts

Ah... well it is a nice app. I do use it, but only for the text part of blog posts. Other then that, all formatting is done after copying it into WordPress. That's not really worth it though so I'm stuck trying to find a better use for it.

Personal journal? No.
Planner? No, there are a million better apps for that. Free ones too.
A book? So far that's the best idea I've got seeing as you can separate entries as chapters.

March 11, 2010 9:28 am
geauxvols

geauxvols

Big Game Hunter

from East Texas, U.S.A.
589 posts

I haven't played with MJ much yet, but I'm curious if anyone has been able to integrate it with Facebook Notes. I'd like to be able to import and export entries from and to MJ, if it is possible.

iPhone Reviews, Apps, Tips and Tricks | Follow theiphoneand.us on Twitter

March 14, 2010 12:20 am
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,766 posts

MacJournal is in the app store now. Only support for plain text, so pictures don't sync and rich text gets convereted to plain text. For now anyway, hopefully won't take too long to see those improved.

Mariner1 wrote:

Hey Folks-
Just so you know, we submitted MacJournal for the iPhone and iPod Touch last week and are hoping that it goes live any day in the App Store.

It really took over 3 weeks for approval?

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

March 23, 2010 2:18 pm
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

izdale wrote:

MacJournal is in the app store now.

Nice. Has anyone tried it yet? Would be interesting to know if it can do something that the free Blog-Apps (Wordpress in my case) don't.

March 23, 2010 2:59 pm
JackV

JackV

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,072 posts

4 Euros... I wait for a discount (and some reviews) before I consider a purchase.

I write about Juice on Entsafter.co

March 23, 2010 3:35 pm
deej

deej

Automaton Tech

450 posts

Wow, it only works out as €3.32 when converting from GBP.

But, like others, I'm going to wait for a few reviews of it before I buy it.

Get Dropbox! 2.25GB free storage

March 23, 2010 3:55 pm
geauxvols

geauxvols

Big Game Hunter

from East Texas, U.S.A.
589 posts

I'm planning to download it, but not until I know if MJ can be integrated with Facebook Notes. So far, inquiries to Mariner have not borne fruit.

iPhone Reviews, Apps, Tips and Tricks | Follow theiphoneand.us on Twitter

March 23, 2010 9:33 pm
johnnybdot

johnnybdot

Gearhead

77 posts

Right now reviews for the iPhone App don't seem so promising?
Apart from the restrictions on Apple's side (which you claim are formatted text and picture problems) at least the syncing feature could have been realized in a more comfortable way, and no MobileMe support...

Get Dropbox through my referral link (you get 250MB more than usually): https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY0NDU4MzQ5
Many thanks!

March 23, 2010 10:05 pm
-V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-

-V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-

Urchin

from Serbia
5 posts

farcaller wrote:
timtr wrote:
mrstinson wrote:

+1

+1

I don't really like this kind of posts, but +1 from me, would be a very nice feature.

+1

March 27, 2010 10:04 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

Well, I'm liking it so far, I've been using it to help me take notes for my lectures.
It's pretty convenient to have them into one place and being able to instantly see which day the class took place.

March 27, 2010 10:24 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ MacJournal

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?