Forums

★ Clips

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Clips
multiuser

multiuser

Gearhead

from Germany, NRW, Duesseldorf
71 posts

I have many of pickpockets "irritations".

Plus: it does not work when i have dropbox running (which is ever the case). When i reboot my mac, the system.log is flooded with errors.
Plus: it's enormous hungry for memory.
So i've reactivated iClip, which is still much better although it's much older.

March 4, 2010 10:10 am
mauko

mauko

Automaton Tech

219 posts

Mine is working on Leopard, but not on Snow Leopard (menuicon doesn't appear)
You don't have to type in the serial, just drag'n'drop the number from the texteditor did it...

There is NO signature, do you see a signature?

March 4, 2010 3:15 pm

mark.cassano@mac.com

Urchin

2 posts

Awful program; crashed twice, abbreviations have completely failed; ironically, when submitting a ticket to them I couldn't cut and paste within the ticket! As I got the bundle mainly for RipIt, can't complain, but this would have been a nice program. Too bad they didn't do some stability work before they unleashed it to the bundle users.

March 4, 2010 6:50 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

multiuser wrote:

I have many of pickpockets "irritations".

Plus: it does not work when i have dropbox running (which is ever the case). When i reboot my mac, the system.log is flooded with errors.
Plus: it's enormous hungry for memory.
So i've reactivated iClip, which is still much better although it's much older.

You have over 60 posts and still don't know that pickpocket is just a rank?

March 4, 2010 7:18 pm
HerrWulf

HerrWulf

Tinkerer

18 posts

I've given up on using it myself, couldn't get the menubar item to work (Snow Leopard Install) never got asked to register it and, to top things off for me, when I tried submitting the a bug report on their website, I got sent to a non-existent page so the bug report was never sent.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but it was very much one of the Apps I was most interested in getting, only to be disappointed with it.

March 4, 2010 7:19 pm
sSasukeuUchiha

sSasukeuUchiha

Tinkerer

from Missouri
36 posts

It won't show in the menubar for me either. If you set it to show the icon then actvate it you can access the clips menu item to register.

March 4, 2010 9:40 pm
alanagardi

alanagardi

Urchin

2 posts

If you go to VersionTracker.com and read the comments about Clips, it seems that it has a very low rating there.

Don't let reality interfere with your life.

March 4, 2010 11:47 pm
ninique

ninique

Urchin

8 posts

For me, I just can't figure out how to use some of the features. I went to the developper's website and the only actual documentation they have is for another one of their apps.

March 5, 2010 12:55 am
shaggy16

shaggy16

Tinkerer

16 posts

I love the idea a of clipboard manager, not enough to go out and buy one. I've tried the ones included in various bundles here but they are all pretty bad,

This one is slow, buggy, and not very intuitive. It also doesn't play nice with text expander.

http://www.twitter.com/justinluey

March 5, 2010 7:28 am

Belgarioz

Urchin

2 posts

Mhhh I like it, but is it normal that, after 3 hours of activity, it uses 700mb of RAM memory?

March 5, 2010 10:30 am
bradydaniel

bradydaniel

Urchin

2 posts

As usual I'm confused.  I can't seem to find the Clips documentation.  I had no luck pasting the Clips license into their registration form and I would be more than willing to read about how the application works, if I could only find a hint as to where it might be??

I went to the Clips website and was directed to a Wiki but that was useless as well.

How about it you tech savvy Heisters?  Who want's to earn a merit badge by helping this old man across the internet highway?

PS How do I change the "White Liar" tag on my avatar?  I put in a signature in my profile, but that didn't seem to work

Confused old man

March 5, 2010 4:43 pm
Scandalous

Scandalous

Sky Pirate

1,528 posts

bradydaniel wrote:

How do I change the "White Liar" tag on my avatar?  I put in a signature in my profile, but that didn't seem to work

That can't be changed manually, as it's based on the number of times you post here in the forums.

Click DropBox to sync files online & across your computers for FREE + receive an additional 250 MB.

March 5, 2010 5:02 pm
coletti.robert@gmail.com

coletti.robert@gmail.com

Tinkerer

19 posts

any word from the Devs on the resource hog problem? i like this app, its concept, and all but anything more than 150mb is ridiculous, i think and that's pushing it

March 5, 2010 5:17 pm
rambaldi

rambaldi

Developer

22 posts

Hello,

Conceited Software developer here. Clips 1.5 is getting a lot of new users in a really short time, and I just want to let you know that we're reading the issues some of you are encountering. We cannot fix everything as fast as we'd like, but we're taking every feature request into account. Bugs such as memory leaks, happening under some circumstances, will be fixed in the next 1.x update - which we'll release as soon as possible after thorough testing has been completed.

As far as documentation, the screencast on our website is a good introduction to using the most important features. We're also writing a user's guide and it should be ready and available on our website by the end of the week.

The most often asked question has to do with licenses and whether or not they're tied to a single computer. This may not be crystal clear in the application in its current version, but I'd like to clarify: a single user license (like the one you get in the MacHeist bundle) is valid to be used at the same time on two Macs. Which two is up to you. Could be your desktop and your laptop for instance. You can find more licensing related answers at http://conceited.net/wiki/activation_faq

Thank you for your interest in Clips and we look forward to your continued feedback, helping us make Clips work better for every Heister.

March 5, 2010 6:05 pm
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Hi rambaldi
Thanks for your answer and for being here

Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free

March 5, 2010 6:27 pm
coletti.robert@gmail.com

coletti.robert@gmail.com

Tinkerer

19 posts

thank you rambaldi!

March 5, 2010 6:46 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

Thanks Conceited Software and Mariner software for not just spitting out canned and unrelated messages on the board. It really boosts confidence when someone takes just a little time to acknowledge they're listening.

March 5, 2010 6:54 pm

thebanite

Tinkerer

13 posts

Clips says, on registration, that if you about to sell or quit using this mac to deactivate it. I suppose, in this way, you you at least mode the single license around.

March 5, 2010 7:48 pm

chavanak

Urchin

5 posts

This is the most terrible app on the mac, I thought I was the only one facing this problem.... Can anyone suggest me a good and highly customisable clipboard manager

March 5, 2010 9:44 pm
Highway of life

Highway of life

Gearhead

from Spokane, WA
52 posts

PTH Pasteboard, iClips, Clipboard Evolved and CuteClips are some alternatives. I'm really looking forward to using 'Clips', but right now it's so buggy it's not even usable. I do appreciate rambaldi coming to post. Thanks!!
I'm really surprised this software made it past the testing phase... did anybody actually test it?

Software Engineer | phpBB3 MOD Developer
Programming Guide to phpBB3

March 5, 2010 11:13 pm
rmallen

rmallen

Tinkerer

11 posts

Unfortunately the abbreviations are absolutely failing to work for me. And with only three items in the clipboard, and about 15 minutes of use, it already bounced up to my third highest memory usage at 76mb of real memory. Not unwilling to test again with some updates, but I run way too much stuff at once to be having the balloon its memory usage as I copy more stuff to it.

Very interesting, though.

March 6, 2010 3:00 am
papercastle

papercastle

Urchin

from New York
5 posts

hfearly wrote:

Just tried it out - trying to register the app on my iMac at home in addition to my MacBook tells me that I need to buy additional licenses.

"This serial number contains 1 license but is being used on 2 machines. You may want to purchase additional licenses."

To be honest, this is bullshit! I mean: come on it's a clipboard tool ... something you may want to have on all your machines. Together with the "locked" RapidReaver that was not indicated as such when I initially bought the bundle, I'm feeling more and more ripped off. Definitely not the user experience I am used to here at MacHeist - disappointing :-(

I hear you! Although, this isn't MachHeist's fault as mentioned earlier. I wish they would have included at least two as most power users that would be willing to use an application like this have more than one computer they use.

I guess I'll be using this more on my Mac at work than my Mac at home. If it's something I can't live without at home, then I suppose I'll just have to get another license. At least the first one was deeply discounted!

March 6, 2010 3:05 am
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

Hmmm, bummer. I didn't notice it used so much memory, I hope it gets fixed in a future update

I really like it though, the dashboard style clipping board is cool

March 6, 2010 3:05 am
papercastle

papercastle

Urchin

from New York
5 posts

rambaldi wrote:

The most often asked question has to do with licenses and whether or not they're tied to a single computer. This may not be crystal clear in the application in its current version, but I'd like to clarify: a single user license (like the one you get in the MacHeist bundle) is valid to be used at the same time on two Macs. Which two is up to you. Could be your desktop and your laptop for instance.

Aha! This is amazing news! I guess I should have read further down the line before I assumed the worst. Thanks for clearing this up. Hopefully Clips can replace my trial version of TextExpander at work.

March 6, 2010 3:08 am
Kona0428

Kona0428

Tinkerer

14 posts

Clips works on more than one computer. I used the same license on my and my dads computer works fine. So clearly everybody else is doing something wrong if they cant get it to work on two or three computers. Personally I love this app havent run into any problems so sorry for everybody who cnat get it to work the way it should.

Yes I'm 14 yes I love macs yes I have an Iphone soon an Ipad and I know I'm a nerd what else could you ask for in life.

March 6, 2010 3:31 am

thegoblin

Urchin

1 posts

Clips is a memory hog. Taking 140Mb of memory and slowly climbing! Anyone else finding this?

March 6, 2010 3:36 am
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

papercastle wrote:
rambaldi wrote:

The most often asked question has to do with licenses and whether or not they're tied to a single computer. This may not be crystal clear in the application in its current version, but I'd like to clarify: a single user license (like the one you get in the MacHeist bundle) is valid to be used at the same time on two Macs. Which two is up to you. Could be your desktop and your laptop for instance.

Aha! This is amazing news! I guess I should have read further down the line before I assumed the worst. Thanks for clearing this up. Hopefully Clips can replace my trial version of TextExpander at work.

Why would you want to replace TextExpander, especially with version 3 due out this month?

rambaldi wrote:

Conceited Software developer here. Clips 1.5 is getting a lot of new users in a really short time, and I just want to let you know that we're reading the issues some of you are encountering. We cannot fix everything as fast as we'd like, but we're taking every feature request into account. Bugs such as memory leaks, happening under some circumstances, will be fixed in the next 1.x update - which we'll release as soon as possible after thorough testing has been completed.

I'm a little concerned, as I stated before, that it's been 6 months since the last Clips update. I find it hard to believe the memory leaks and other bugs have not been reported to you (posts on MacUpdate and VersionTracker alone should have been clues to many issues). I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but I admit I am highly skeptical.

Get a 2GB Dropbox account + additional space free for you & me

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

March 6, 2010 3:43 am
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

thegoblin wrote:

Clips is a memory hog. Taking 140Mb of memory and slowly climbing! Anyone else finding this?

Yes. Just launched and it's already eating 105MBs... ouch.

March 6, 2010 4:43 pm
papercastle

papercastle

Urchin

from New York
5 posts

WalrusCP wrote:

Why would you want to replace TextExpander, especially with version 3 due out this month?

You seem invested, emotionally or otherwise, in TextExpander. I've been using the trail version, as I mentioned earlier, at work. My bosses won't pay for software, so I try then buy. Since I purchased the nanobundle to get some new apps for a small fee, I figured I could get away with replacing something that I haven't actually purchased yet. There are still some issues with TextExpander, but nothing like what has been happening with Clips. If I can end up replacing TE with Clips, then that would be great. If it doesn't work out, then I'm going to have to resort to buying a copy of TE. I usually give applications about five days at work in order to see if they're worth it to me.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on TE3 coming out. If they fix some of the minor bugs I've been having with the trial, then my choice is clear.

March 6, 2010 7:30 pm
stjg

stjg

Big Game Hunter

from Here
581 posts

Instead of TE, I can also recommend AutoClips (or as part of Automaton).

Do something healthy.
Stop eating too many Oranges!

March 6, 2010 8:22 pm
Macmenno

Macmenno

Urchin

from The Netherlands
8 posts

I'm not happy with Clips phoning home at every launch.
I unchecked 'Check for new versions' but this application still wants to phone home via a secure port, probably to validate the license or for marketing purposes.
This is what 'Network Spyalert' (similar to Little Snitch) says:
"The program Clips is attempting to connect to a server with the Internet address 94.23.243.18 (sd-4.conceited.net) on port 443"
Btw: 'Tracks' (one of the 3 bonus apps.) from the same dev., does exactly the same.

I don't like that sort of practice at all.
Needless to say, I have forbidden both apps. to phone home.

Apart from that, I think I'll stick with PTHPasteboard Pro, which works flawless and is sufficient for my clippings needs.

Carpe Diem

March 6, 2010 9:13 pm
marcoklobas

marcoklobas

Automaton Tech

from Trieste, Italy
274 posts

Any Wacom user here?

I've noted that Clips makes the tablet almost unusable. Any resizing, dragging, moving etc. are terribly slow or hang.

I use a Wacom Intuos 3 on a PowerBook G4 with Leopard.

Marco Klobas

March 7, 2010 9:22 am
Ten

Ten

Gearhead

72 posts

Yes, this could be the case! Yesterday, I realised other probs with clips too, though I really like the app

Btw: which Wacom driver do you use? I tried to update to the latest one. In my pref panel, I wouln't see the pen any longer but got 2 mice and the pen doesn't respond correctly any longer ....

(I also got Wacom Intuous 3)

marcoklobas wrote:

Any Wacom user here?

I've noted that Clips makes the tablet almost unusable. Any resizing, dragging, moving etc. are terribly slow or hang.

I use a Wacom Intuos 3 on a PowerBook G4 with Leopard.

March 7, 2010 9:53 am

pauljw

Tinkerer

12 posts

I previously wrote that Clips feels like beta software. After a few more days of using it I take it all back..... it feels more like pre-alpha!!!

March 7, 2010 10:06 am
marcoklobas

marcoklobas

Automaton Tech

from Trieste, Italy
274 posts

Ten wrote:

Btw: which Wacom driver do you use? I tried to update to the latest one. In my pref panel, I wouln't see the pen any longer but got 2 mice and the pen doesn't respond correctly any longer ....

Just updated yesterday to version 6.1.4-2.

I find Clips an interesting app, but it clearly needs some refinements.

Marco Klobas

March 7, 2010 10:20 am
maxwell

maxwell

Gearhead

from outthere,way outside o Yonkers
91 posts

While it is good to see that the Dev showed up and addressed the concerns of the public it is disheartening to read that clips is so overwhelmingly bad. I bout the bundle very early (on the strength of previous MH experiences) and assumed the best. But after what I've read here I'm a bit disappointed. I'd rather they'd included stuf or something else-shame, because clips was one of the most intriguing apps for me.

Fried Green Tommy toes

March 7, 2010 3:21 pm
Ten

Ten

Gearhead

72 posts

yeah, to me, too. And I was so enthusiastic about it .... in the end, I've disabled it.

March 7, 2010 5:47 pm
sgrimes

sgrimes

Urchin

from Cascadia
1 posts

Where is the spec sheet and some notes on how to best use the whole app?  Will it run on non-intel macs?  How does one use the Abbreviations item? 

And so really the app 'organizes' my clips but they still live strewn about my computer?  Clips just helps me find them?

Sorry to be clue-free-CLips noob.... but that's what I be....

March 7, 2010 9:42 pm
Sev770

Sev770

Urchin

from Toronto, Ontario
4 posts

I can absolutely not get the abbreviations to work! anyone understand how to do it?

March 7, 2010 10:34 pm
kitsched

kitsched

Tinkerer

from Baia Mare, Romania
17 posts

pauljw wrote:

This seems like such a great app at first glance and I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately it feels more like beta software to me. I can't get abbreviations to work at all, hot corner activation does nothing, and the menu bar icon hasn't appeared yet despite restarting my iMac.

I really loved the presentation video for this app and really was one of the reasons I got the bundle. However, all of the above apply for me too except that I haven't tried abbreviations yet.

I foolishly unchecked the show in dock option and checked show in menu bar only to have the app disappear completely. I then remembered the Mac plus comma keyboard combination so I managed to bring up the preferences window and reactivate it.

The dashboard isn't ugly but it doesn't have that Mac polish we're used to.

And a memory hog, all that my 2006 Mac was missing.

I'm pretty disappointed.

Science is magic that works! -- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Dropbox referral http://db.tt/yEEnoc3

March 8, 2010 12:17 am
sterlizzi

sterlizzi

Gearhead

67 posts

I too have abandoned Clips.  It simply uses too much memory for the functionality provided.

http://stephenterlizzi.com/

March 8, 2010 1:53 am
mike007

mike007

Automaton Tech

from Indiana
370 posts

Ya, this thing is sucking up 235mb on my mac.  They needs a huge update to fix this soon.

March 8, 2010 1:58 am
chikorita157

chikorita157

Urchin

1 posts

Had to force it to 32-bit mode so it won't use alot of memory, but after some time, it jumps to 100+ MB... Works good, but it's a memory hog and hope it will get fixed soon.

March 8, 2010 2:12 am
wcoates

wcoates

Urchin

from Richmond
5 posts

I'm done with Clips as well. Shame.

March 8, 2010 2:50 am
gardsmyg

gardsmyg

Tinkerer

from New York, NY
33 posts

Thought I would add to the list of problems. I ran it once and found it so buggy that I zapped it. I've tried to fiddle with it twice since then and have been 100% unsuccessful in getting the app to open again. It appears that since zapping it, no matter how many times I re-download, I cannot get it to copy its helper app again. WTF?

I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees.

March 8, 2010 7:57 am
Highway of life

Highway of life

Gearhead

from Spokane, WA
52 posts

Unfortunately since I cannot run Clips, I am unable to be notified of an update. This would be especially useful because I really would like to actually use the application that I purchased and expected to work...

Software Engineer | phpBB3 MOD Developer
Programming Guide to phpBB3

March 8, 2010 9:57 am
Handyman

Handyman

Tinkerer

from WA
48 posts

I'm in the same boat as most everybody else here.
I bought the bundle mainly because of Clips and it worked about as well as a pre-alpha app that I went back to using CuteClips.

I'm severely disappointed by Conceited Software ever since their very buggy releases of Linkinus 1.3 (IRC client) I joined their Beta testers team to report and test bugs to help them fix issues, then they released Linkinus 2.0 with not enough features to warrant ANOTHER $15 for an upgrade.
I'm still on version 1.3 and I have no plans to upgrade.
Unfortunately, I will have to do my best to steer clear of Conceited Software sad

I run a bunch of Beta/Alpha software that works so much better; my main development application (IDE) is currently Alpha and it works great!

StarTrekGuide phpBB3 MOD Development Community.

March 8, 2010 10:08 am

reynish

Urchin

2 posts

I had been using Clyppan as my clip board manager. I wanted something a bit more powerful so I got the MH bundle.

Clips has every feature i want from a CB manager (I could do without the dashboard feature though.) Unfortunately it is far to bloated to even be considered usable.

March 8, 2010 11:56 am
gglanzani

gglanzani

Urchin

8 posts

It seems I'm the only one who have Clips working as expected (except memory, 200MB after 3-4 days)

March 8, 2010 12:06 pm
NeostarNeko

NeostarNeko

Tinkerer

14 posts

ClipMenu is so much better than this, very low resource usage.

Clips is too hungry for RAM, makes it unusable on early 2006 Intel Mac's.

March 8, 2010 12:16 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Clips

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?