Forums

★ Tracks

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Tracks
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

Discuss Tracks here, one of three bonus tweetblast apps added to the nanoBundle for all customers.

When you open Tracks you'll find that it's deceptively hidden interface wise: most of your interaction with the app will be through its menu item and keyboard shortcuts. But once you figure the app out, you'll find yourself rarely having to go into iTunes, and even better, being able to instantly summon up what you want to hear with a few keystrokes/search instead of dealing solely on playlists or iTunes' clunky and comparatively sluggish browsing.

Tracks is a pretty young app, so your feedback will direct much of its near future of development, so feel free to let the developer know what you think!

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

March 5, 2010 7:42 pm
jonvision

jonvision

Tinkerer

from Gothenburg, Sweden
36 posts

Just what I needed for the price I needed. smile Growl notifications in iTunes..... mmmmmhhmmm

I ♥ CP
Taking back CP, which is one of the most missused expressions in Sweden.
Got no referalls, but since I got Deliscious Library I didn't need the Library pro so I'm happy smile

March 5, 2010 7:57 pm
MarkSinkinson

MarkSinkinson

Tinkerer

16 posts

Do you have to have iTunes open to use it?

March 5, 2010 8:03 pm
painttheskygrey

painttheskygrey

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta
201 posts

MarkSinkinson wrote:

I believe so, not sure how it would work otherwise...

Looks like a really nice app. Probably the one I'll use the most out of the bundle, tbh.

March 5, 2010 8:09 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

MarkSinkinson wrote:

Well there is the option to automatically open iTunes for you under preference.

Btw I only been using tracks for a few minutes and I absolutely love it.

March 5, 2010 8:10 pm
remedyloame

remedyloame

Tinkerer

from New Zealand
19 posts

Tracks is lovely, thank you.

[ Twitter ]

March 5, 2010 8:16 pm
drudge

drudge

Developer

26 posts

MarkSinkinson wrote:

Conceited Software developer here. Yes Tracks does require iTunes be open to interact with it.

Hope you all enjoy Tracks!

March 5, 2010 8:18 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

Hmm, looks pretty good, though I already use Ecoute because iTunes is an insane resource hog.  (although that's certainly not Conceited Software's fault).  I'll definitely check it out though, since there are times when I do use iTunes and this would be nice for that.  Thanks!

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

March 5, 2010 8:25 pm
coletti.robert@gmail.com

coletti.robert@gmail.com

Tinkerer

19 posts

but what's the advantage to just using spotlight?

March 5, 2010 8:26 pm
remedyloame

remedyloame

Tinkerer

from New Zealand
19 posts

coletti.robert@gmail.com wrote:

I like having the shortcuts and Last.fm integration.

[ Twitter ]

March 5, 2010 8:32 pm
drudge

drudge

Developer

26 posts

To name a few things: last.fm scrobbling, Growl notifications, super fast iTunes store searching and sampling, it adds many handy keyboard shortcuts, and it's just searching your music, not all files on your Mac.

Overall, it does a much better/faster job than Spotlight.

March 5, 2010 8:35 pm
sonicsoul

sonicsoul

Urchin

3 posts

Really stupid question, but how do I get Tracks to continue playing songs after selecting one?  It just plays the one tracks and then stops.

March 5, 2010 8:36 pm
narbertb

narbertb

Tinkerer

48 posts

Since theres a developer floating around... question... what is the user license?  Can i load it on my macbook and imac or is it just one system?

BTW... it rocks!

Get 250 mg extra space by using this link https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTMwOTc0NDY5

March 5, 2010 8:45 pm
painttheskygrey

painttheskygrey

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta
201 posts

sonicsoul wrote:

Really stupid question, but how do I get Tracks to continue playing songs after selecting one?  It just plays the one tracks and then stops.

This.

March 5, 2010 8:51 pm
drudge

drudge

Developer

26 posts

narbertb wrote:

Since theres a developer floating around... question... what is the user license?  Can i load it on my macbook and imac or is it just one system?

BTW... it rocks!

You can use your license on any 2 machines at once. It's perfectly acceptable to use it on your Macbook and iMac at the same time.

You can check out our Activation F.A.Q. at http://conceited.net/wiki/activation_faq for more information about how our licensing works.

March 5, 2010 8:52 pm
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,769 posts

painttheskygrey wrote:
sonicsoul wrote:

This.

I haven't been able to try it yet, but how is it selecting the song that is chosen? Look to the left, are you in the main library, or does Tracks create a playlist from what you searched for? Because I use LaunchBar for finding tracks, and it has a "LaunchBar" playlist that it creates for the search, so once everything in that search has played, it stops, or repeats through it. It drives me crazy. Maybe that's the case here?

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

March 5, 2010 9:00 pm
Hexabyss

Hexabyss

Urchin

from USA
6 posts

I'm torn on this app:

I like the user-interface and search options but..

1. It won't replace my (free) "you control: tunes" menu bar app because it lacks inline play/pause/back/fwd buttons and track rating.

2. It won't replace my (free) official last.fm menu bar app because it lacks tagging & playlist options (I could live without the in-app artist wiki and streaming I suppose). The official Last.fm app also provides iTunes growl functionality.

So that would leave me with an alternative music search method to spotlight and a quick way to search the iTunes music store.

As much as I like the GUI and app speed, it'll need more functionality (inline music controls, in particular) for me to use it as is. YMMV.

Best wishes.

March 5, 2010 9:01 pm
sonicsoul

sonicsoul

Urchin

3 posts

izdale wrote:
painttheskygrey wrote:
sonicsoul wrote:

This.

I haven't been able to try it yet, but how is it selecting the song that is chosen? Look to the left, are you in the main library, or does Tracks create a playlist from what you searched for? Because I use LaunchBar for finding tracks, and it has a "LaunchBar" playlist that it creates for the search, so once everything in that search has played, it stops, or repeats through it. It drives me crazy. Maybe that's the case here?

I'm in the main library and there is no playlist being created when a track is selected.  After selecting a track, nothing changes in iTunes itself, it stays selected on the last song I played or was viewing.  If only Coversutra has the speed of this app, it would be perfect.

March 5, 2010 9:07 pm

Barmi

Urchin

from UK
9 posts

I'm very grateful for the app and credit the developers for creating something so streamlined... though I must ask if it's something to draw me away from CoverSutra? I'm not asking out of malice, but out of genuine naïve curiosity... because I don't have a great track record of spotting things that aren't obvious at first sight.

March 5, 2010 9:10 pm

chavanak

Urchin

5 posts

Err.. when I click on the link to register, I get an error message saying
"The serial number you tried to activate seems to be malformed. Please make sure you're using the original purchase receipt or contact our technical support."

Has anyone else encountered this ?

March 5, 2010 9:16 pm
coletti.robert@gmail.com

coletti.robert@gmail.com

Tinkerer

19 posts

drudge wrote:

To name a few things: last.fm scrobbling, Growl notifications, super fast iTunes store searching and sampling, it adds many handy keyboard shortcuts, and it's just searching your music, not all files on your Mac.

Overall, it does a much better/faster job than Spotlight.

Thanks for the info!

March 5, 2010 9:23 pm
painttheskygrey

painttheskygrey

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta
201 posts

drudge wrote:
narbertb wrote:

BTW... it rocks!

You can use your license on any 2 machines at once. It's perfectly acceptable to use it on your Macbook and iMac at the same time.

You can check out our Activation F.A.Q. at http://conceited.net/wiki/activation_faq for more information about how our licensing works.

Really? It says for me that I am using the "only license associated with this serial number." Am I just interpreting this wrong?

March 5, 2010 9:24 pm

chavanak

Urchin

5 posts

Btw, I hope clips developer is around here. I would like to first, thank them for such a wonderful product. But on the other hand it is extremely buggy. I normally copy text files of over 100mb around my mac and clips should have a control where it can ignore file size bigger than a set limit. I am getting ram usage uber 200mb sad

March 5, 2010 9:28 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

chavanak wrote:

Btw, I hope clips developer is around here. I would like to first, thank them for such a wonderful product. But on the other hand it is extremely buggy. I normally copy text files of over 100mb around my mac and clips should have a control where it can ignore file size bigger than a set limit. I am getting ram usage uber 200mb sad

You mean Tracks? (just a tad confused cuz this is the thread for Tracks not Clips)

March 5, 2010 9:34 pm

chavanak

Urchin

5 posts

kblessinggr wrote:
chavanak wrote:

You mean Tracks? (just a tad confused cuz this is the thread for Tracks not Clips)

Oh yes I am sorry didn't get to the clips forum. I meant clips only not tracks though I don't like the way the developer is handling the softwares sad

Unable to get the tracks license and clips is buggy like hell

Anyways sorry for the confusion

March 5, 2010 9:46 pm
narbertb

narbertb

Tinkerer

48 posts

drudge wrote:

That is sooo sweet.  Thank you.

I would love to see it get inline play/pause/back/fwd buttons and track rating.

Get 250 mg extra space by using this link https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTMwOTc0NDY5

March 5, 2010 9:48 pm
Ivy

Ivy

Gearhead

from Europe
75 posts

Wow this is a pretty nice app! Thanks!

Free international calls? Pay only the price of a local call with Rebtel!

March 5, 2010 10:32 pm
dAlen

dAlen

Tinkerer

44 posts

simple, but cool - impressed with tracks because of it non-intrusive nature. smile
[Would like to have it loop the clip if its the only track in a given search, but like how it goes through the whole album of an artist search...]

Peace

dAlen

March 5, 2010 10:40 pm

ERM0613

Urchin

1 posts

why does it sort the songs by play count and not by album order.. this is really annoying

March 5, 2010 10:41 pm
drudge

drudge

Developer

26 posts

chavanak wrote:
kblessinggr wrote:
chavanak wrote:

Oh yes I am sorry didn't get to the clips forum. I meant clips only not tracks though I don't like the way the developer is handling the softwares sad

Unable to get the tracks license and clips is buggy like hell

Anyways sorry for the confusion

Can you please email support@conceitedsoftware.com and we'll help you out with your licensing issues?

March 5, 2010 10:47 pm
ninique

ninique

Urchin

8 posts

It's simple, but I like it. I especially like how there are shortcuts for changing the rating of a song. I tend to always forget to do that. . . although the other shortcuts are kind of redundant with the function keys on my Macbook Pro.

The only thing missing for me would be to have it search playlist names too.

March 5, 2010 11:25 pm
drudge

drudge

Developer

26 posts

ninique wrote:

It's simple, but I like it. I especially like how there are shortcuts for changing the rating of a song. I tend to always forget to do that. . . although the other shortcuts are kind of redundant with the function keys on my Macbook Pro.

Look for search results to inlcude playlists in a future version.

March 5, 2010 11:39 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

ninique wrote:

Would also be cool if you could do genius from the drop down list as well. Meaning you type in a query for a song you want, then click maybe a genius icon next to that to make it automatically start playing a genius playlist based on that song.

March 5, 2010 11:47 pm
cianmm

cianmm

Automaton Tech

from Dublin, Ireland
408 posts

sonicsoul wrote:

I'm getting this as well. Annoying.

Here comes my fourth season of MacHeist!

March 6, 2010 12:11 am
RyanPlugs

RyanPlugs

Tinkerer

19 posts

I'm getting my albums in order of play count as well, how do  change this? So far the free "You Control Tunes" Is wiping the floor with tracks.

March 6, 2010 12:20 am
gnurf

gnurf

Tinkerer

20 posts

I like Tracks, and it replaces GimmeSomeTune (which is a mere 32-bit app, anyway wink for me. It's nice as is, but if I was going to make a wish for features, it would be to have two related functions:
1.Select by album.
2.Add selected albums to a specific playlist (optionally to start playing).

But simply starting the album from track 1 would be enough.

March 6, 2010 12:23 am
valter

valter

Tinkerer

from Lisboa
49 posts

I think CoverSutra is still king of the hill. Better features and less ram consumption…

Although the scroll allah iphone OS (at least Byline by my memory) looks pretty neat wink

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

My referal link: http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/52012/
At the moment: 0 out of 2

March 6, 2010 12:55 am
sterlizzi

sterlizzi

Gearhead

67 posts

I tried Tracks and also think CoverSutra is better.

http://stephenterlizzi.com/

March 6, 2010 1:07 am
f16332

f16332

Sky Pirate

1,135 posts

valter wrote:

I think CoverSutra is still king of the hill. Better features and less ram consumption…

Although the scroll allah iphone OS (at least Byline by my memory) looks pretty neat wink

Same... Avid user of CoverSutra and just tried the trial of Tracks, CoverSutra is much better.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB FreeSpace

March 6, 2010 1:46 am
Scandalous

Scandalous

Sky Pirate

1,528 posts

painttheskygrey wrote:
MarkSinkinson wrote:

I believe so, not sure how it would work otherwise...

Looks like a really nice app. Probably the one I'll use the most out of the bundle, tbh.

As nice as this is, I have no need for it. If it requires iTunes to be running, why not just use Spotlight?

And there are standalone alternatives. Ecoute is a slick app that uses your iTunes database and doesn't need iTunes running. It has keyboard shortcuts and has a customizable miniplayer.

But everyone has their own preferences. Is it possible to a license transfer for Tracks? I'll gift it to someone who likes it;

Click DropBox to sync files online & across your computers for FREE + receive an additional 250 MB.

March 6, 2010 1:55 am
rmallen

rmallen

Tinkerer

11 posts

I have to echo the sentiment that sorting songs in order of play count is incredibly irritating. I mean, they're placed in a certain on the album for a reason. I'd at least like the option to choose whether it sorts by playcount or album order inline with the results.

March 6, 2010 2:38 am
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

176 posts

Scandalous wrote:

As nice as this is, I have no need for it. If it requires iTunes to be running, why not just use Spotlight?

Spotlight (slower, and hardly anything comes up as I start typing 'family')
http://i49.tinypic.com/n1e8sn.png

vs Tracks (much much much faster)
http://i47.tinypic.com/288cy7c.png

March 6, 2010 2:46 am
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

Scandalous wrote:

Is it possible to a license transfer for Tracks? I'll gift it to someone who likes it;

I'd be happy to take it off your hands, if you have no use for it.

If I was helpful, consider signing up for Dropbox on my referral.

March 6, 2010 2:53 am
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

I love it.
At first I was like "Meh, another iTunes controller app... I have the keyboard for that" but then I tried it and changed my mind almost immediately.

It's like Spotlight for music, when I want to list to something I press alt-space and type away. Sleek, fast, and doesn't conflict with my previous workflow, which is a big deal breaker for me.

March 6, 2010 2:58 am
papercastle

papercastle

Urchin

from New York
5 posts

Quick question about Tracks. I'm thinking of using this as a replacement for ScrobblePod. Can Tracks pause uploading of my last.fm between iPod syncs? I know it's still young in development terms. Is this something that could be added later? Do I need to submit the idea somewhere else? Let me know, if so.
I enjoyed that functionality of ScrobblePod, but the ability to search my iTunes library without LaunchBar creating a separate playlist to play my search is without question the reason I will keep using Tracks over anything else.

March 6, 2010 4:34 am
rambaldi

rambaldi

Developer

22 posts

@rmallen: we just implemented your feature request in 1.5.1. Please "Check for updates..." and then you can uncheck "Sort by relevance" in the Preferences if you don't want it to happen.

March 6, 2010 8:55 am
dAlen

dAlen

Tinkerer

44 posts

cool an update already, a developer on the forums = memory retention and likely hood to recommend & stick with products smile

Peace

dAlen

March 6, 2010 9:04 am
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

Yep, seems nice enough, but doesn't seem to do anything that CoverSutra doesn't. And apparently (haven't tried it, but it says so after registration) there's the same "one computer only" BS like with Clips.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB free backup space

March 6, 2010 9:18 am
jiri.s

jiri.s

Urchin

6 posts

rambaldi wrote:

we just implemented your feature request in 1.5.1. Please "Check for updates..." and then you can uncheck "Sort by relevance" in the Preferences if you don't want it to happen.

Great update!

March 6, 2010 10:28 am
anosou

anosou

Tinkerer

from Sweden
31 posts

ERM0613 wrote:

why does it sort the songs by play count and not by album order.. this is really annoying

I e-mailed them about this, they answered and today there's a patch out with this update. Gotta love developers caring! You can change that option in Preferences.

Tracks has REALLY helped my workflow, no more cmd+tab to get to iTunes, open the mini-player and searching. With proper sorting it's now utterly amazing. About to run out of shortcuts but shift+cmd+-, shift+cmd+., shift+cmd+-> and shift+cmd+<- are now my most frequently pressed button combinations <3

March 6, 2010 11:50 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Tracks

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?