Forums

★ Tales of Monkey Island

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Tales of Monkey Island
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

Post your thoughts about Tales of Monkey Island here.

One thing that's definitely worth mentioning: not only do you get all five episodes (the entire first 'season'), but the copy provided by TellTale Games also supports Windows in addition to your Mac. smile

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

March 7, 2010 12:19 pm

RPGgame

Tinkerer

27 posts

Telleale is the greatest!

March 7, 2010 12:24 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

Why do we have to create a Telltale account to download it? I have no interest at all in creating one.

All I should have to do is download it and activate it with the code. No more, no less.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 7, 2010 12:29 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

I've already played them, but my friend will be happy to play it soon enough.

March 7, 2010 1:06 pm
fiz

fiz

Tinkerer

from Silver Spring, MD
27 posts

This is amazing. Hopefully, the sales of this bundle will help fuel a mac version of Sam & Max (^_-)

...like a dropped box of magnetic poetry

March 7, 2010 1:08 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

smokeytams wrote:

Why do we have to create a Telltale account to download it? I have no interest at all in creating one.

All I should have to do is download it and activate it with the code. No more, no less.

What's the big deal? It's not like they ask our address or credit card, you just need to register in order to receive the serials for the single episodes and redownload them every time you want from the TellTale website. That's how their system works, it would be a little egohistic to demand them to change their whole server backend just for MacHeist, don't you think?
I really don't understand why people make a big deal about this, it's far more irritating when you have to register to some forum to read a topic.

I understand the equinux thing that asked for a street address, but this...

fiz wrote:

This is amazing. Hopefully, the sales of this bundle will help fuel a mac version of Sam & Max (^_-)

They already confirmed S&M is next, yay big_smile

March 7, 2010 1:10 pm
jackcrute

jackcrute

Urchin

from UK
9 posts

smokeytams wrote:

I think you do, yes.

March 7, 2010 1:31 pm
Ivy

Ivy

Gearhead

from Europe
75 posts

This wasn't a big deal, just an email address and a password. It didn't wanna know anything else, and I'm fine with this.

But, do I have to download all the episodes separately?

Free international calls? Pay only the price of a local call with Rebtel!

March 7, 2010 1:34 pm
jackcrute

jackcrute

Urchin

from UK
9 posts

The software didn't work so I needed to download/re-install.

March 7, 2010 1:37 pm

makdag1985@gmail.com

Urchin

1 posts

How can I download Monkey island? I cannot find any way?

Edit: Got it!... smile

March 7, 2010 1:37 pm
jake74

jake74

Urchin

3 posts

Playing this on a MacBook Pro with external monitor, and the mouse control is seriously irritating. After every drag to move in any direction, the mouse cursor is left at the bottom left of the monitor. Every. Single. Time.

Got tiring very quickly, I might have to get the PC version if this is a repeating problem!

March 7, 2010 1:47 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

Ivy wrote:

This wasn't a big deal, just an email address and a password. It didn't wanna know anything else, and I'm fine with this.

But, do I have to download all the episodes separately?

Yes, unfortunately there's no way to "merge" them so the next one plays automatically. It would've been a neat feature

March 7, 2010 1:48 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

jake74 wrote:

Playing this on a MacBook Pro with external monitor, and the mouse control is seriously irritating. After every drag to move in any direction, the mouse cursor is left at the bottom left of the monitor. Every. Single. Time.

Got tiring very quickly, I might have to get the PC version if this is a repeating problem!

Use the keyboard instead, you can use the WASD keys and maybe the arrow keys too (I'm not sure). The PC version is the same

March 7, 2010 1:49 pm
Ivy

Ivy

Gearhead

from Europe
75 posts

iDarbert wrote:

Yes, unfortunately there's no way to "merge" them so the next one plays automatically. It would've been a neat feature

Now that's a PITA. sad

Free international calls? Pay only the price of a local call with Rebtel!

March 7, 2010 2:10 pm
jsm

jsm

Tinkerer

from Darkside of the Moon
43 posts

Yippee! Glad they unlocked this early. I agree with the problem with the mouse movement and an external monitor. I ran into the same thing with the demo. Guess the keyboard is the answer.

It's me!

March 7, 2010 2:11 pm
jackcrute

jackcrute

Urchin

from UK
9 posts

I really think its silly that they don't all come as one download.

March 7, 2010 2:32 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

Suppose it's just me. I just thought that for a game that costs $35 to buy, it would have all been downloaded to my computer, not held on a server. Sounds like it would have been better as a Web browser game.

Guess I'll be swapping it with someone.

March 7, 2010 2:48 pm
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

I can't play it, because I forgot my telltale password. Tried ordering a new password, but all that does is give me a link to a page where I can choose a new password, if I can identify myself using my old password.
I feel like I'm using windows here.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB free backup space

March 7, 2010 2:50 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

moviegod wrote:

I can't play it, because I forgot my telltale password. Tried ordering a new password, but all that does is give me a link to a page where I can choose a new password, if I can identify myself using my old password.

Now you see one of the problems with this type of game!

March 7, 2010 3:01 pm
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

Not, but one of the problems with a bad website.

March 7, 2010 3:03 pm
MarkSinkinson

MarkSinkinson

Tinkerer

16 posts

jake74 wrote:

Same here, but I'm using a MacBook without the external monitor. Gave up on the demo because of this

March 7, 2010 3:07 pm
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

smokeytams wrote:
moviegod wrote:

This is a game you download to your Mac. You just need to create a telltale account to grab it. (I know it's a hassle, but it's not just meaningless hoops to jump through – they store your purchase/account on their site and you'll get access to your Windows versions downloads as well.)

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

March 7, 2010 3:24 pm
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

I already had a telltale account (the had a promotion back in september, where you could get the PC version of the 1st chapter for free), that's why I (theoretically) have an old password.

March 7, 2010 3:27 pm
Cefeida

Cefeida

Tinkerer

from a bad place
34 posts

So the main game description says you need Intel Core 2 Duo, but the individual ones say Intel Core Duo. Any ideas?

I guess I will just try installing it (on my Macbook with the non-recommended integrated graphics card, no less) and see what happens. If it works, I will come back and tell you.

Ex navicula navis

March 7, 2010 3:28 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

moviegod wrote:

Not, but one of the problems with a bad website.

Isn't there a "forgot my password" link?

Disregarding my views of the game. This is where 1password comes into it's own. Believe me, it's a worthwhile investment. And has saved my butt on many occasions.

March 7, 2010 3:28 pm
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

smokeytams wrote:

Yes. And all that got me was an e-mail containing a link back to the site, where I had to enter my lost password in order to choose a new one.

March 7, 2010 3:33 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

phillryu wrote:
smokeytams wrote:
moviegod wrote:

This is a game you download to your Mac. You just need to create a telltale account to grab it. (I know it's a hassle, but it's not just meaningless hoops to jump through – they store your purchase/account on their site and you'll get access to your Windows versions downloads as well.)

Ok, I have changed my mind. But just to be certain. Are all the chapters downloaded at the same time? And can you confirm that if you choose not to share your high scores etc, that there will be no internet activity whist playing the game?

March 7, 2010 3:42 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

moviegod wrote:
smokeytams wrote:

Yes. And all that got me was an e-mail containing a link back to the site, where I had to enter my lost password in order to choose a new one.

Well, that sounds crazy. If you've forgotten your password, how on earth are you going to enter it to get a new one?

March 7, 2010 3:46 pm

d_mcmullen

Urchin

5 posts

Anyone else having problems launching this game?  I've downloaded it but it keeps quitting 'unexpectedly' - I find this HUGELY IRRITATING! Oh!  And I have an iMac running OS X 10.5.8 and Intel Core 2 Duo - So, what's the problem!?!#$

March 7, 2010 3:55 pm
RyanPlugs

RyanPlugs

Tinkerer

19 posts

The mouse controls to walk are infuriating. Also, does the game start with all but one of the items on the Voodoo list being crossed off? I started episode one, and it seems as if it's skipped right to the end.

March 7, 2010 4:00 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

smokeytams wrote:

Suppose it's just me. I just thought that for a game that costs $35 to buy, it would have all been downloaded to my computer, not held on a server. Sounds like it would have been better as a Web browser game.

Guess I'll be swapping it with someone.

Or you can download the five installers onto your hard drive and keep them there for later use.
Or you can order the DVD when it's ready for shipping which includes all the five episodes and bonuses.
But yes, you can also give it to someone who'll be glad to play the game instead of worrying about the format it comes on.

RyanPlugs wrote:

The mouse controls to walk are infuriating. Also, does the game start with all but one of the items on the Voodoo list being crossed off? I started episode one, and it seems as if it's skipped right to the end.

No, that's the way it starts. It's just supposed to start after an adventure that you only get to hear about.

Also, use the keyboard. The mouse control is crap, nearly ruined my experience until I tried moving with WASD and realized it worked.

Are all the chapters downloaded at the same time? And can you confirm that if you choose not to share your high scores etc, that there will be no internet activity whist playing the game?

What? Scores? Are we talking about the same game? It's a graphic adventure!
And no, the only time it should talk to the server is to log in at the beginning.

If you are paranoid you should also be able to block it and register it with the serial number instead. Or at least the Sam and Max games used to let you do that.

March 7, 2010 4:03 pm
bobnojio

bobnojio

Tinkerer

from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
20 posts

unable to "register" the games...

i have a telltale account, and the TOMI games show up on my account on the telltale website...

when trying to register (for full version) on any episode's splash screen, i get an "Unsuccessful" message (with CORRECT email address and password), and my 'serial' number doesnt work as an 'authentication code'.

help?

SkyNet Development Team -- the robots know more about whats right than we do.

March 7, 2010 4:11 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

bobnojio wrote:

unable to "register" the games...

i have a telltale account, and the TOMI games show up on my account on the telltale website...

when trying to register (for full version) on any episode's splash screen, i get an "Unsuccessful" message (with CORRECT email address and password), and my 'serial' number doesnt work as an 'authentication code'.

help?

I suspect the load is actually hammering their servers, as the game should activate just by logging in not requiring you to type any serial number in it.

March 7, 2010 4:13 pm
bobnojio

bobnojio

Tinkerer

20 posts

i should have mentioned, when trying to authenticate through the username/password method, i get a 'no unlock code entered' error (as shown: http://grab.by/2Tit ).

(yes, i also registered the username shown, i didnt put my macheist user instead of my telltale email)

March 7, 2010 4:18 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

bobnojio wrote:

i should have mentioned, when trying to authenticate through the username/password method, i get a 'no unlock code entered' error (as shown: http://grab.by/2Tit ).

(yes, i also registered the username shown, i didnt put my macheist user instead of my telltale email)

Have you tried typing the email address you used to register at telltale instead of the username? I'm pretty sure it won't help but trying wouldn't hurt.

It's probably best if you contact the support over at TellTale if it doesn't work, I have a gut feeling that it won't solve it by itself over time.

EDIT: To be sure, you tried copying and pasting the serial number for that episode (not the one that you used to redeem the gift when registering, the one that appears in the page to download the episodes) in the manual unlock tab and it didn't work right?

March 7, 2010 4:25 pm
bobnojio

bobnojio

Tinkerer

20 posts

in order:
i have tried both email address, AND username.
i have tried 'that episode's serial number, from the telltale page (for 3 different episodes, to test if it was them or me)

the 'request key' thing on the game launches an email where you are supposed to paste your "serial number" and a 'request key' it gives you, and they are supposed to respond with your Different "activation key".

dont really know why the serial number doesnt activate the program, and you have to email in to get a DIFFERENT serial number (aka activation key).

I have emailed telltale support, but most likely wont hear back from them until tomorrow.

March 7, 2010 4:32 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

OK, well I've taken the plunge. I hope all the downloads are worth it. I will post back on my experience with it.

March 7, 2010 4:34 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

bobnojio wrote:

in order:
i have tried both email address, AND username.
i have tried 'that episode's serial number, from the telltale page (for 3 different episodes, to test if it was them or me)

Ouch, that sucks. Sorry to hear about that.

dont really know why the serial number doesnt activate the program, and you have to email in to get a DIFFERENT serial number (aka activation key).

No, that must be in cause your serial number is for some reason invalidated so support can authorize issuing a new serial number.

The normal registration procedure only requires either logging in or pasting the serial number.

smokeytams wrote:

OK, well I've taken the plunge. I hope all the downloads are worth it. I will post back on my experience with it.

And while you are at it, be sure to check out the game too! big_smile

Ivy wrote:
iDarbert wrote:

Now that's a PITA. sad

Just to clarify, it's not like the story abruptly ends and you have to quit, launch the next episode and continue.
Every episode is self contained and the plot for each episode contains a start, a crescendo and a resolution so it doesn't feel like you are playing parts of a game that you have to start manually.

March 7, 2010 4:36 pm
OverHaze

OverHaze

Automaton Tech

107 posts

Best part of the bundle as far as I'm concerned. Love the fact they threw in the Windows versions as well. Telltale gets it.

March 7, 2010 4:42 pm
dAlen

dAlen

Tinkerer

44 posts

Excellent... been by the computer day and night and the moment I walk away Monkey Island is released - Hooray!!! big_smile

For those wondering, you dont have to be hooked to the internet to play the game, but there is an online feature for a side game of sorts. [How I got this icon - after having gone through the demo version] smile

Peace

dAlen

p.s.
Just bought Braid last night to entertain myself while waiting for M.I. [Fun game as well] big_smile

p.s.s.
5 downloads surprised me at first, until I saw file size [not all of us have reliable blazing T-1 connections!] wink

March 7, 2010 4:43 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

Well, I've started the first chapter. Although I'm not getting very far, the mouse control seems to be working fine for me. It does seem to resize any open windows, so it's best to minimise them first before running the game.

March 7, 2010 6:00 pm

billfrech

Urchin

4 posts

d_mcmullen wrote:

Anyone else having problems launching this game?  I've downloaded it but it keeps quitting 'unexpectedly' - I find this HUGELY IRRITATING! Oh!  And I have an iMac running OS X 10.5.8 and Intel Core 2 Duo - So, what's the problem!?!#$

Same exact thing here.  Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB RAM / OS X 10.6.2.

March 7, 2010 6:15 pm
Molnies

Molnies

Big Game Hunter

from Sweden
527 posts

smokeytams wrote:

Well, I've started the first chapter. Although I'm not getting very far, the mouse control seems to be working fine for me. It does seem to resize any open windows, so it's best to minimise them first before running the game.

I run it in window mode instead of fullscreen, and then you don't have to deal with the resizing (among other benefits).

Just also wanted to add that I haven't had any problems so far, it was really smooth to set up a username and download all the chapters. This is my first dealings with Telltale Games but so far I'm positively surprised, getting both the PC and Mac version as well as getting a "free" DVD if you'd like that... this is how companies should treat their customers!

Think Purple.

March 7, 2010 6:20 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

billfrech wrote:
d_mcmullen wrote:

Same exact thing here.  Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB RAM / OS X 10.6.2.

Have you tried installing it on a new user account on your Mac?

I've found it's a good way of finding out if it's a computer problem or a user account problem.

If it runs fine on the new account, then you might need to do some housekeeping on the other account (repair permissions for example).

March 7, 2010 6:36 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

Molnies wrote:
smokeytams wrote:

I run it in window mode instead of fullscreen, and then you don't have to deal with the resizing (among other benefits).

Just also wanted to add that I haven't had any problems so far, it was really smooth to set up a username and download all the chapters. This is my first dealings with Telltale Games but so far I'm positively surprised, getting both the PC and Mac version as well as getting a "free" DVD if you'd like that... this is how companies should treat their customers!

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know it could be run in a window.

March 7, 2010 6:39 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

smokeytams wrote:
Molnies wrote:
smokeytams wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know it could be run in a window.

I did that and found my mouse control went haywire. I think I'll stay with full screen mode.

March 7, 2010 6:55 pm
meesh2113

meesh2113

Tinkerer

from Liverpool, UK
19 posts

I can't unlock the game either, I had a telltale account before I downloaded the game - don't know wether that has effected it or not.

Yatta!

March 7, 2010 6:58 pm
NeostarNeko

NeostarNeko

Tinkerer

14 posts

How do you get the DVD? I can't seem to find the link anywhere >_<

March 7, 2010 7:00 pm
RyanPlugs

RyanPlugs

Tinkerer

19 posts

How do you go about applying for the DVD?

March 7, 2010 7:02 pm
Molnies

Molnies

Big Game Hunter

from Sweden
527 posts

NeostarNeko wrote:

How do you get the DVD? I can't seem to find the link anywhere >_<

The developer posted in some of the threads that the DVD isn't available just yet, but when it is you only have to pay for shipping to get it. Also, the DVD will include both the PC and Mac version.

Think Purple.

March 7, 2010 7:03 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Tales of Monkey Island

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?