iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

smokeytams wrote:
smokeytams wrote:
Molnies wrote:

I run it in window mode instead of fullscreen, and then you don't have to deal with the resizing (among other benefits).

Just also wanted to add that I haven't had any problems so far, it was really smooth to set up a username and download all the chapters. This is my first dealings with Telltale Games but so far I'm positively surprised, getting both the PC and Mac version as well as getting a "free" DVD if you'd like that... this is how companies should treat their customers!

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know it could be run in a window.

I did that and found my mouse control went haywire. I think I'll stay with full screen mode.

I'm curious, why do you choose mouse control over keyboard control?

March 7, 2010 7:07 pm
Miah

Miah

3,688 posts

iDarbert wrote:

But why would you choose mouse control over keyboard control?

Isn't this sort of game usually called a point and click adventure?

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

March 7, 2010 7:09 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

Miah wrote:
iDarbert wrote:

But why would you choose mouse control over keyboard control?

Isn't this sort of game usually called a point and click adventure?

Yes, but the movement scheme they chose is so awkward it actually detracts to the experience.
As the name implies it's supposed to be point and click, not click and drag.

It's even more awkward that in order to move faster you are supposed to hold shift, so if you end up having to use the keyboard anyway why not just move with the keyboard?

I don't know, it feels so much better to move around with the keys and point and click stuff to interact, draggin around your character and then stop dragging to point and click just feels weird.

March 7, 2010 7:12 pm
Molnies

Molnies

Big Game Hunter

from Sweden
527 posts

Just some more information for the people that are interested, here are the quotes from the developer (from other threads).

Anamanfan wrote:

Checked with my co-workers to make sure you get the correct information:

When Tales of Monkey Island is unlocked, you will get a gift code for the whole season. You can take that code to redeem them at TelltaleGames.com. This will also let you create a Telltale Games account to save your purchase data. From here you will be able to download all of the episodes at your pleasure. Use your Telltale login and you're playing Monkey Island!

Important Awesome Things!
* You get the PC and Mac versions with the same license.
* You will get the free DVD version of the game once it's ready. You will need to pay for shipping from San Francisco to where ever you are in the world.

About this DVD...
This DVD will be available to you when it's ready. It doesn't cost anything more but for the shipping costs. It will contain extras such as videos and wallpapers and will be a hybrid PC/Mac disc.

When the DVD is available for order, you will be e-mailed. You'll be placing a new order in our store to deliver the DVD. As I said, it will only cost you shipping.

link

Anamanfan wrote:

Just so you know, Tales of Monkey Island will be a little different and might not work correctly with AppShelf at first.

When unlocked, MacHeist will give you a gift code to cash in at the Telltale Games website. From here, you will need to create (or use your existing) Telltale Games account which will give you the five real serial keys. One for each episode. The gift code will fail to work again, but your serial keys will.

When you launch the first game, you can either put in the serial key in manually, or log into your Telltale account from the game. Once you log into your Telltale account inside a Telltale game, the other games will automatically apply your serial keys without needing to re-enter your login or serial keys.

Why is it this way?
Your license from MacHeist also grants you a real physical DVD of the game for free, after the cost of shipping. To make sure you get your one DVD, the process needs to be this gift code process and having a Telltale account.

link

Think Purple.

March 7, 2010 7:12 pm
NeostarNeko

NeostarNeko

Tinkerer

14 posts

Molnies wrote:
NeostarNeko wrote:

How do you get the DVD? I can't seem to find the link anywhere >_<

The developer posted in some of the threads that the DVD isn't available just yet, but when it is you only have to pay for shipping to get it. Also, the DVD will include both the PC and Mac version.

Awesome thanks I hope they ship to the United Kingdom smile

March 7, 2010 7:15 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

NeostarNeko wrote:
Molnies wrote:
NeostarNeko wrote:

How do you get the DVD? I can't seem to find the link anywhere >_<

The developer posted in some of the threads that the DVD isn't available just yet, but when it is you only have to pay for shipping to get it. Also, the DVD will include both the PC and Mac version.

Awesome thanks I hope they ship to the United Kingdom smile

They shop worldwide, but their shipment partner is not very good unfortunately sad
It took four months for my first shipment to arrive and the second one got lost in mail limbo.

Fortunately though I wrote them and they were kind enough to ship another copy of the Sam & Max Season 2 DVD which arrived in less than two weeks!

March 7, 2010 7:19 pm
quantumhobbit

quantumhobbit

Tinkerer

27 posts

Well the frame-rate is abysmal on my late 07 Macbook even with the settings turned all the way down.  Stupid Intel GMA950.

March 7, 2010 8:04 pm
D_Money

D_Money

Tinkerer

from Montreal
46 posts

Does anyone know what the system requirements are for this game?
I'm running a late 2007 macbook with Core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz, GMA 950 integrated graphics and 3.0 GB of RAM.

Edit: I read the above post... dammnit.

Blog
Twitter
Deviantart

March 7, 2010 8:54 pm

Sunsch

Urchin

1 posts

Hey guys, I can only install chapters 1 and 3, i get error messages for the other 3 chpaters, saying the image couldn't be activated due to an input/output error.
has anyone had the same problem?

March 7, 2010 9:08 pm
JackV

JackV

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,072 posts

re-download it. worked for me

I write about Juice on Entsafter.co

March 7, 2010 9:14 pm
rmallen

rmallen

Tinkerer

11 posts

Resizes and moves all my open windows when I launch. I hate that. I don't see why, after all these years, they haven't figured out how to stop that from happening.

March 7, 2010 9:42 pm
johnnybdot

johnnybdot

Gearhead

77 posts

Actually the game keeps freezing on my computer constantly...
I figured out I kind of have a thermal problem with my graphics card before (Radeon x1900) but with smcFanControl turned up a little I'm able to play games like Bioshock or Dragon Age at 1920x1200 resolution without a problem...
Not Monkey Island though, the only way to stop the game from freezing my Mac completely is to set resolution to 800x500 (less might work too) and graphics detail to 1 which I think is ridiculous, Monkey Island 1 on iPhone looks better...
I assume that the code they produced for Mac is just plain crap...

Get Dropbox through my referral link (you get 250MB more than usually): https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY0NDU4MzQ5
Many thanks!

March 7, 2010 9:57 pm
choma

choma

Automaton Tech

from uk
496 posts

Yep I've tried Monkey Island before on my GMA950 and it's too slow....

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜
Use my DROPBOX link and we both get an extra 250mb free!
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTYxNTMzNDk

March 7, 2010 11:03 pm
Anamanfan

Anamanfan

Developer

from San Francisco Bay Area
26 posts

Man, was not expecting the bundle to unlock today. Time to play catchup. Sorry I'm not going to quote people directly in order for me to catch up. Also, I apparently still can't post links on the forums yet. hmm

ALL SUPPORT GO HERE: Telltale Games Support
This includes if you're having issues with passwords, downloading, and anything else. I don't think we were expecting an unlock today, so things may be slow for today (Sunday on PDT). Hence me whipping around the MacHeist forums today.

moviegod: E-mail support at support at telltalegames dot com

We've also found that there are some broken permissions issues that were introduced in 10.5.8. If you run disc utility and hit 'repair permissions', it may clear up any problems.

What's the DVD? Why can't I order it?! Does this look infected to you?!?!
Yes you'll get it, but we'll e-mail when you can order it. Then you can order, pay for shipping to where ever you are in the world (yes, even the UK), and enjoy physical DVD goodness.

Why do I need to make an account at Telltale?
There's quite a few reasons here. I know it's a bit annoying to have yet another login, but the downsides of not having an account are too many.

* You can get your free DVD of the season.
Yes, you get a physical thing mailed to your house! It will cost shipping (thus it's optional), but you will get the DVD of Tales of Monkey Island once Telltale starts taking orders.

* You still own your purchase if the software changes.
Story time: About 2.5 years ago on the PC side, Telltale changed the software unlocking software. It required new serial keys in order to unlock games like Sam & Max Save the World (Season One). Since all users have Telltale accounts, it was a matter of running a batch script to give new serials.

Telltale has been running for over five years now and going strong. Things may change, but you still own your purchases.

* Retrieving your keys is much easier when Telltale knows who owns them.
This is two-fold. When you log into your Telltale account inside the game, it will pull your serial keys automatically. Log in once, it will pull them for all episodes. If you buy other Telltale games down the road, it will still use your login to grab your serial keys.

* ARG! Newsletters!
If you are really concerned about e-mail, check this page out (sorry, I can't do linking yet...)

My Telltale

Uncheck anything that doesn't interest you.

Do I have to download the episodes separately? Yes
You'd be amazed at how many ISPs can't handle a 1.2GB download. Enough where it's not worth having users attempt such a feat. At least this way you can download the first chapter, start the second and play the first while downloading.

When does it connect to the Internets?!?
When you first start the game, you're seeing web based content. It will ping Telltale servers to unlock your game for the first time. For Chapter 1, it will also retrieve info for the Treasure Hunting mini-game.

GMA Cards make me a sad panda.
Me too. Me too. What sucks is  Apple's implementation of GMA drivers is half-hazard. Windows drivers will at least borrow system RAM to compensate. Apple drivers won't do this, thus it won't work with our games. What's more depressing is that the games will play in Boot Camp Windows, only because of the graphic driver implementation.

March 8, 2010 12:01 am
dverhey

dverhey

Automaton Tech

100 posts

Anamanfan wrote:

Me too. Me too. What sucks is  Apple's implementation of GMA drivers is half-hazard. Windows drivers will at least borrow system RAM to compensate. Apple drivers won't do this, thus it won't work with our games. What's more depressing is that the games will play in Boot Camp Windows, only because of the graphic driver implementation.

Okay, that's actually really convenient for all of us still stuck on GMA's that dual boot Windoze. It doesn't run on the mac partition for me, so maybe I'll just give it a shot on the windows one. Good info, thanks.

Be alert. The world needs more lerts.

Generic Dropbox Referral Link.

March 8, 2010 12:50 am
Miah

Miah

3,688 posts

Anamanfan wrote:

(sorry, I can't do linking yet...)

Fixed that for you. Let me know if you need any other links made clickable.

Thanks for the general FAQ there. It's sure to help out a lot.

March 8, 2010 1:06 am
Anamanfan

Anamanfan

Developer

26 posts

Thanks Miah! Updated the post.

March 8, 2010 1:35 am
Jenneil

Jenneil

Automaton Tech

483 posts

My Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, with GeForce 8600M GT

None of the episodes open on my computer.

What troubles me most is that TellTale Games knew about this over a month ago and still decided to release it for MacHeist. See support thread over there: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/sho … hp?t=15012

Edited to Add: rebooted computer, repaired permissions, re-downloaded one at a time, and have tried pretty much everything else recommended. No go here... Very frustrating considering my MacBook Pro is less than 2 years old and this was the main reason I bought the NanoBundle (already have RapidWeaver)

DropBox referral Link

March 8, 2010 2:11 am
2_SeeK_U

2_SeeK_U

Tinkerer

from Australia
11 posts

Anamanfan wrote:

You speak the truth!

I have the same problem running xbox media center on my Macbook. Due to poor drivers for the X3100, XBMC is rendered horribly in OSX, but when l boot into windows via bootcamp, it display perfectly.

Twitter:gdean

March 8, 2010 3:50 am
elmegil

elmegil

Urchin

1 posts

Re: the whole "mouse control" question, I think the statement was misunderstood.

When I went to windowed mode, doing *anything* with ToMI took over my mouse and wouldn't let it out of the window.  If you're familiar with VMWare or VirtualBox virtualization software, it's like clicking in one of their windows without the "guest additions" software installed.  Except ToMI has no "escape" keystroke to let you have the mouse back for OS usage.

The good news was that I could use cmd-tab to get to Finder and get my mouse control back, but it was pretty disconcerting at first.

For the record, this is NOT while "playing" the game, this is in the setup screens--although I would expect the same problem any time it's running.

I tried to report this via the TellTale site, but I am having other issues there, so I ended up emailing their support.  Obviously since it's Sunday, I haven't heard back yet. 

I would like to add that my overall impression/experience with TellTale is great (I love the Sam & Max games), so I don't want to sound like I'm slagging them (I just don't get the people who waste their time around here complaining about the apps being "terrible"...which isn't to say that discussing problems like this one falls into that category either).  But I think the nature of this problem was misconstrued above...

March 8, 2010 4:27 am
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

elmegil wrote:

Re: the whole "mouse control" question, I think the statement was misunderstood.

When I went to windowed mode, doing *anything* with ToMI took over my mouse and wouldn't let it out of the window.  If you're familiar with VMWare or VirtualBox virtualization software, it's like clicking in one of their windows without the "guest additions" software installed.  Except ToMI has no "escape" keystroke to let you have the mouse back for OS usage.

The good news was that I could use cmd-tab to get to Finder and get my mouse control back, but it was pretty disconcerting at first.

For the record, this is NOT while "playing" the game, this is in the setup screens--although I would expect the same problem any time it's running.

I tried to report this via the TellTale site, but I am having other issues there, so I ended up emailing their support.  Obviously since it's Sunday, I haven't heard back yet. 

I would like to add that my overall impression/experience with TellTale is great (I love the Sam & Max games), so I don't want to sound like I'm slagging them (I just don't get the people who waste their time around here complaining about the apps being "terrible"...which isn't to say that discussing problems like this one falls into that category either).  But I think the nature of this problem was misconstrued above...

I can verify that it happens whilst playing the game as well. I just gave up using Window mode in the end.

March 8, 2010 4:58 am
mkun

mkun

Gearhead

from Japan
90 posts

dverhey wrote:
Anamanfan wrote:

Okay, that's actually really convenient for all of us still stuck on GMA's that dual boot Windoze. It doesn't run on the mac partition for me, so maybe I'll just give it a shot on the windows one. Good info, thanks.

I'm going to have to give this a shot too. I was really surprised at how tediously slow this was on my GMA950 sad Macbook. That was a surprise, because I was able to get Sam & Max to work seamlessly on my Boot Camp partition. Thank goodness TellTale offered PC copies with this license. You guys are the best! big_smile

March 8, 2010 6:52 am
januzzi

januzzi

Urchin

2 posts

billfrech wrote:
d_mcmullen wrote:

Anyone else having problems launching this game?  I've downloaded it but it keeps quitting 'unexpectedly' - I find this HUGELY IRRITATING! Oh!  And I have an iMac running OS X 10.5.8 and Intel Core 2 Duo - So, what's the problem!?!#$

Same exact thing here.  Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB RAM / OS X 10.6.2.

Yes i know my graphic card is not so great but...

same problem here!

Macbook black - 2.0 Ghz -2 gb

March 8, 2010 8:15 am
januzzi

januzzi

Urchin

2 posts

annoying!

March 8, 2010 8:29 am
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

Anamanfan wrote:

moviegod: E-mail support at support at telltalegames dot com

We've also found that there are some broken permissions issues that were introduced in 10.5.8. If you run disc utility and hit 'repair permissions', it may clear up any problems.

I wrote a mail to support yesterday.

I repaired the permissions, but my old password didn't magically appear, so I still can't start the game.

I tried the Manual Unlock, wich means I just sent five more mails to the telltale support. I really don't get why I have to go through this, since I have all the serial numbers.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB free backup space

March 8, 2010 8:40 am
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

elmegil wrote:

Yes, this is a common issue with games since it's considered desirable for the cursor not to leave the window during a game.
Still it can be annoying having to use Command-Tab every time.

March 8, 2010 9:55 am

d_mcmullen

Urchin

5 posts

I tried running it on a new account, but I have the same problem - there's GOT to be something that will fix this!

smokeytams wrote:
billfrech wrote:
d_mcmullen wrote:

Anyone else having problems launching this game?  I've downloaded it but it keeps quitting 'unexpectedly' - I find this HUGELY IRRITATING! Oh!  And I have an iMac running OS X 10.5.8 and Intel Core 2 Duo - So, what's the problem!?!#$

Same exact thing here.  Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB RAM / OS X 10.6.2.

Have you tried installing it on a new user account on your Mac?

I've found it's a good way of finding out if it's a computer problem or a user account problem.

If it runs fine on the new account, then you might need to do some housekeeping on the other account (repair permissions for example).

March 8, 2010 3:45 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

Is there a way to create a folder in "Applications" on the Mac? The menu item is grayed-out. I know installers can create folders in it. As I would like to have all the episodes in one folder instead of being spread out in "Applications".

OK, no need to worry. I created one on the desktop and dragged it into "Applications". That seemed to work fine. You must remember to rename the folder first.

March 8, 2010 3:49 pm
JeroenDV

JeroenDV

Tinkerer

from Halsteren, Netherlands
25 posts

U can use WASD keys for walking and pressing shift for running. Just played the first episode. All I have to Say wonderful and great game.

Get free 2GB storage plus 250mb = 2,250mb

March 8, 2010 3:52 pm
jamy015

jamy015

Tinkerer

from Delft, The Netherlands
26 posts

smokeytams wrote:

Is there a way to create a folder in "Applications" on the Mac? The menu item is grayed-out. I know installers can create folders in it. As I would like to have all the episodes in one folder instead of being spread out in "Applications".

You can just create a folder on your Desktop (or somewhere else, but Desktop is the easiest), throw all the episodes in there and drag the folder into your Applications folder.

There are 10 sorts of people: the ones that can count in binary and the ones that can't.

March 8, 2010 3:54 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

smokeytams wrote:

That's strange, I can.
Must be a permissions issue, try repairing them.

March 8, 2010 4:23 pm
dAlen

dAlen

Tinkerer

44 posts

if you resize your game so that you can see other apps in background, cursor will stay only in the game window...

...workaround -

Just hit apple + tab to rotate through the windows [finder, game, etc] and you regain cursor control... once finished, click back in game.

There is a glitch in the performance of one of the objects necessary to fulfill a task, but I dont want to post spoilers and I cant post in the forums at telltales site even though Im logged in... [appears to be a glitch]

If the developer is around and can help me out, that would be cool. wink

Peace

dAlen

March 8, 2010 4:32 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

iDarbert wrote:
smokeytams wrote:

That's strange, I can.
Must be a permissions issue, try repairing them.

It could be that I don't run in an admin account. I did what jami015 said and created it on the desktop first.

I apologise for being so negative in the beginning. I tend to be a bit over cautious.

I am starting to fall in love with this game! smile

March 8, 2010 4:35 pm
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,766 posts

So what is the game exactly? From what I've read, it's point and click, and puzzle solving. So is it similar to the gameplay of Machinarium, or for those of you who might remember Dig? That type of puzzle solving?

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

March 8, 2010 6:47 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

Never thought a story game would be too slow for my macbook...

March 8, 2010 6:49 pm
Miah

Miah

3,688 posts

izdale wrote:

So what is the game exactly? From what I've read, it's point and click, and puzzle solving. So is it similar to the gameplay of Machinarium, or for those of you who might remember Dig? That type of puzzle solving?

Man, I loved Dig. I never finished it though.

Same with that Indiana Jones one.

I should launch up SheepShaver and play those again.

March 8, 2010 7:04 pm
spolvid

spolvid

Tinkerer

17 posts

Miah wrote:
izdale wrote:

If you've got the game files, you can just use ScummVM. Much nicer than emulating OS 9.

March 8, 2010 7:11 pm
Anamanfan

Anamanfan

Developer

26 posts

moviegod: Our support staff got a lot of tickets today (40,000+ new users in one day will do that), but hope to get though them today. If you haven't heard back from them yet, hang tight!

dAlen: Email support to fix the glitch - support at telltalegames dot com

izdale wrote:

For the examples you gave: The Dig. ToMI focuses a lot more on dialoge as moving the narrative where as Machinarium less so. ToMI is also a lot more direct control of characters than Machinarium.

kblessinggr wrote:

A story game using 3D graphics is very new to a lot of Mac users. When Apple first announced the Intel MacBooks and found out they were using an Intel Integrated chip, I knew that down the line it was going to be the bane of my existence. Apple did not disappoint in this regard. hmm

March 8, 2010 8:06 pm
Miah

Miah

3,688 posts

Anamanfan wrote:
kblessinggr wrote:

A story game using 3D graphics is very new to a lot of Mac users. When Apple first announced the Intel MacBooks and found out they were using an Intel Integrated chip, I knew that down the line it was going to be the bane of my existence. Apple did not disappoint in this regard. hmm

As a game developer, I can do nothing more than sympathize.

March 8, 2010 8:22 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

Anamanfan wrote:
kblessinggr wrote:

But here's the funny part, the graphics in the game didn't seem all that advanced in which case I would think I could play it fine, especially since I've played both Half Life 2 and Doom 3 in high mode on this macbook, yet Tales of Monkey Island skips around constantly without nearly as much texture (maybe its the geometry?)

March 8, 2010 9:05 pm
davidambler

davidambler

Urchin

9 posts

Well there are quite a few depth of field effects and stuff like that which I'm sure would considerably slow down macs with integrated chips.  Thankfully I've got the 9600 which plays the game perfectly smile  My old MB wouldn't stand a chance!

March 8, 2010 9:44 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

Miah wrote:
izdale wrote:

Isn't ScummVM better?

March 8, 2010 10:19 pm

nsamarkus

Urchin

1 posts

smokeytams wrote:

Suppose it's just me. I just thought that for a game that costs $35 to buy, it would have all been downloaded to my computer, not held on a server. Sounds like it would have been better as a Web browser game.

Guess I'll be swapping it with someone.

Read, read, read, you only need an account to download the games, then you can install them.
And you get the windows version as well.
The account also interfaces with the game if you want to play the treasure hunt as it will store your progress against other players on the web and gives you new maps when you completed some.

I don't know why you are all complaining.
Lately I feel like this is turning into the woot forum here.

Cheers

March 9, 2010 3:20 am
bvp663

bvp663

Urchin

from Portland, OR
3 posts

johnnybdot wrote:

Actually the game keeps freezing on my computer constantly...
I figured out I kind of have a thermal problem with my graphics card before (Radeon x1900) but with smcFanControl turned up a little I'm able to play games like Bioshock or Dragon Age at 1920x1200 resolution without a problem...
Not Monkey Island though, the only way to stop the game from freezing my Mac completely is to set resolution to 800x500 (less might work too) and graphics detail to 1 which I think is ridiculous, Monkey Island 1 on iPhone looks better...
I assume that the code they produced for Mac is just plain crap...

Are you using an external monitor? I had both my laptop screen up as well as my external and was playing the game on my external screen and kept getting game freezes as well. Closing the lid on the laptop and only using the external monitor fixed the problem.

March 9, 2010 3:34 am
DeltaVolt

DeltaVolt

Tinkerer

37 posts

Like someone previously mentioned, the game freezes. Every time I tried it in OSX I'd get to the part where I get to the other guy's ship (at the very beginning), then in a little while the game would freeze, no matter what and the whole Mac would be unresponsive. I ended up moving it to the Windows partition and started playing there. Kind of annoying but doable, I guess.

March 9, 2010 3:37 am
Jenneil

Jenneil

Automaton Tech

483 posts

Anamanfan wrote:

Our support staff got a lot of tickets today (40,000+ new users in one day will do that), but hope to get though them today. If you haven't heard back from them yet, hang tight!

I try to exhaust all options by searching online before submitting a ticket. However, I can't seem to find an answer for MacOSX system specs required to play this game listed on the TellTale Website. All I see on the website are Windows Specs.

My Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, with GeForce 8600M GT, running OSX 10.5.8

Is my system supported with this game?

DropBox referral Link

March 9, 2010 4:11 am
Anamanfan

Anamanfan

Developer

26 posts

Jenneil wrote:

My Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, with GeForce 8600M GT, running OSX 10.5.8

You should be fine! The best thing to do is to download and try the demo. It's actually the full game that's unlocked when you get a serial key. No need to re-download once you buy the bundle and cash in the gift code.

For the record, it's Intel processor Macs without the integrated graphic cards (like the GMA 950).

March 9, 2010 4:18 am
Jenneil

Jenneil

Automaton Tech

483 posts

Anamanfan wrote:
Jenneil wrote:

You should be fine! The best thing to do is to download and try the demo. It's actually the full game that's unlocked when you get a serial key. No need to re-download once you buy the bundle and cash in the gift code.

For the record, it's Intel processor Macs without the integrated graphic cards (like the GMA 950).

This appears to be the 1st episode which I have downloaded 2x now without success (will not load at all). I am downloading again from the link you provided and will let you know how it goes this time around.

Edited to Add: Houston mission aborted... it is a no go. The link you provided for the "demo"/1st chapter did not work. I download, expand file, and try to run from both disk image and from applications... no luck. I am about to give up considering I have downloaded all five episodes 2x and episode one 3x.

DropBox referral Link

March 9, 2010 4:25 am
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

Anamanfan wrote:

moviegod:

kblessinggr wrote:

So why can it run on a 1.6 Core Due Mac Mini in XP if it's the chipset? It looks like more effort spent on the Windows version, but it will be your bigger customer base being fair. It is noticeable with some developers how that difference varies.

with best regards,
Karn.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

March 9, 2010 7:41 am
Anamanfan

Anamanfan

Developer

26 posts

WebKarnage wrote:

So why can it run on a 1.6 Core Due Mac Mini in XP if it's the chipset? It looks like more effort spent on the Windows version, but it will be your bigger customer base being fair. It is noticeable with some developers how that difference varies.

It's the graphics drivers.

The drivers on Windows are created by Intel. They engineered the drivers to "steal" system RAM for use with the VRAM. While there are only some amount of gains by doing this, there's at least some headroom at the sacrifice of system RAM. Thus on Windows, you'll squeak by with at least 128MB of total VRAM.

For Mac OS, Apple makes the drivers for all graphics cards. With the Intel GMA's, they decided not to implement the 'RAM stealing' feature in the drivers. Thus you are hard-locked into 64MB of VRAM on the GMA 950. Tales of Monkey Island simply can't run on a personal computer with a 64MB ceiling.

There's a point where developers need to stop going to the lowest dominator just to punch a buck. You can start taking features out of the graphics and lower the quality down. There's a point however where a line needs to be drawn and you don't sacrifice the quality simply to make more money.

When working on taking the game engine to Mac, I was immensely excited. I take pride that the computer I'm typing this post in was the final stept in the Mac build process. Once my coworkers and I delivered the Mac version, my work on various stories can be experienced on Windows, Mac, Wii, and Xbox360*. All of my friends and family who helped me to get where I am today could finally experience the work I'm involved in. I can finally tell them to play these games as they where made for them with love.

So please understand how much I wish it could work for these computers as intended. Nor do you deserve something so throttled down. Do know that you now own these stories and when you have access to a computer that can play them, they'll be waiting for you.

* These are the platforms I've worked on across all franchises.

March 9, 2010 8:33 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Tales of Monkey Island

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?