Forums

★ Tweetie (Including Tweetie 2 Beta Access!)

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Tweetie (Including Tweetie 2 Beta Access!)
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

rmallen wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but aside from the fact I don't need my browser, and I can preview urls... I don't see much of a benefit to tweetie compared to, say, tweetdeck, which also me an incredible amount of presentation customization given its column system...

can I get a brief rundown of some of the benefits here? It looks polished, I'm just not seeing how to take advantage of it, or why I should switch from tweetdeck...

It's a matter of preference really, personally I think TweetDeck is hideous to look at and I chose streamlined design over customization options.

Also, Adobe AIR.

March 10, 2010 8:34 am
JollyBass

JollyBass

Tinkerer

16 posts

Anyone else getting an issue on relaunch?
It works fine when I add an account, but when I quit and restart I get a message:
'unauthorized. could not authe..' at the bottom of the window, and the only way to fix it seems to be to delete an re-add the account! (i can't see a pw change option anywhere - is there one?)

Proud to be Purple. AKA The Purps, Purple Reign, Purple Tentacle and, of course, the One-Eyed One-Horned Flying Purple People-Eaters

March 10, 2010 9:29 am

esoso

Tinkerer

10 posts

Trying it now. I like it more than Twitterrific that I also got on MacHeist. I was just wondering, is there an option to see a list of all the people I'm following?

March 10, 2010 9:33 am
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

JollyBass wrote:

It works fine when I add an account, but when I quit and restart I get a message:
'unauthorized. could not authe..' at the bottom of the window, and the only way to fix it seems to be to delete an re-add the account! (i can't see a pw change option anywhere - is there one?)

This was a common issue with the firsts versions, weird it resurfaced now.
Sis you use XSlimmer or a similar app by any chance?

March 10, 2010 9:48 am
myfreeweb

myfreeweb

Urchin

from Russia
8 posts

yay, waiting for the beta.

March 10, 2010 12:24 pm
JollyBass

JollyBass

Tinkerer

16 posts

iDarbert wrote:
JollyBass wrote:

This was a common issue with the firsts versions, weird it resurfaced now.
Sis you use XSlimmer or a similar app by any chance?

Not Xslimmer, but that suggestion gave me a clue.  I'd tried to use Dockless, but (as someone mentioned previously) it also hid the menubar icon so I set it back.
I've just redownloaded and reinstalled and the issue is gone. Many thanks for the help!

Proud to be Purple. AKA The Purps, Purple Reign, Purple Tentacle and, of course, the One-Eyed One-Horned Flying Purple People-Eaters

March 10, 2010 12:59 pm
rmallen

rmallen

Tinkerer

11 posts

Fair enough re: Adobe AIR and preference. I guess the question was more "I don't see what it offers me that I can't get from going to the website, other than I don't have to go to the website."

I mean, I'm using tweetdeck because seeing one solitary column is a pain in my ass. I use twitter as part of my job (follow firm updates and news), which means I have a crap ton of updates - a single column means I'm scrolling for hours, as opposed to being able to find what I want easily. Now, I could filter by author, but that means I have go and select them every time and that's inconvenient.

It could be that I'm stuck with tweetdeck as it's the only program that has the functionality I'm looking for. Not knocking tweetie, I'm sure it's great for what it does! Just doesn't seem to be what I'm looking to use.

Thanks for the responses!

March 10, 2010 1:48 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

rmallen wrote:

Fair enough re: Adobe AIR and preference. I guess the question was more "I don't see what it offers me that I can't get from going to the website, other than I don't have to go to the website."

I mean, I'm using tweetdeck because seeing one solitary column is a pain in my ass. I use twitter as part of my job (follow firm updates and news), which means I have a crap ton of updates - a single column means I'm scrolling for hours, as opposed to being able to find what I want easily. Now, I could filter by author, but that means I have go and select them every time and that's inconvenient.

It could be that I'm stuck with tweetdeck as it's the only program that has the functionality I'm looking for. Not knocking tweetie, I'm sure it's great for what it does! Just doesn't seem to be what I'm looking to use.

Thanks for the responses!

Give Kiwi a try. Its rules and customizable group features might be up your alley. The latest beta can be downloaded here, which has added Xauth support and fixed some other bugs. Twitter lists is also in the pipeline for the 1.2 release from what I understand.

Get a 2GB Dropbox account + additional space free for you & me

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

March 10, 2010 2:17 pm
psithyrismos

psithyrismos

Gearhead

65 posts

Tweetie is all streamlined and good looking. However the Twitter website is streamlined and good looking as well. What exactly makes working with Tweetie better compared to the website?

I have to open a new window anyway, to me it doesn't matter if this new window is a tab in a browser (which is open all the time anyway) or opening the tweetie client.

How do I use Tweetie to actually benefit from it? Do I have to tweet a lot in order to feel a difference in using twitter?

March 10, 2010 2:18 pm
koki

koki

Automaton Tech

444 posts

psithyrismos wrote:

Tweetie is all streamlined and good looking. However the Twitter website is streamlined and good looking as well. What exactly makes working with Tweetie better compared to the website?

I have to open a new window anyway, to me it doesn't matter if this new window is a tab in a browser (which is open all the time anyway) or opening the tweetie client.

How do I use Tweetie to actually benefit from it? Do I have to tweet a lot in order to feel a difference in using twitter?

Multiple accounts, threaded Direct Messages, link previews, global tweeting (with a keyboard shortcut), minimize URL. Tweetie is useful if you're not just using it for your main feed.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 10, 2010 2:33 pm
rmallen

rmallen

Tinkerer

11 posts

Cheers, will take a look at kiwi. Thanks.

March 10, 2010 2:49 pm
capt_carl

capt_carl

Tinkerer

from Huntington, NY
48 posts

esoso wrote:

Trying it now. I like it more than Twitterrific that I also got on MacHeist. I was just wondering, is there an option to see a list of all the people I'm following?

No, because Tweetie came out before a bunch of the new Twitter features, like the new Retweet and Lists.  Tweetie 2 will support all the new features and then some.

March 10, 2010 5:33 pm
gemmes

gemmes

Big Game Hunter

665 posts

smile Only app I have registered so far. Best app in the bundle.

FREE Dropbox Storage Use link for EXTRA space for you and me. big_smile
15.4" 2.5GHz 4GB MacBook Pro, 32GB iPhone 3GS

March 10, 2010 5:36 pm

esoso

Tinkerer

10 posts

capt_carl wrote:
esoso wrote:

No, because Tweetie came out before a bunch of the new Twitter features, like the new Retweet and Lists.  Tweetie 2 will support all the new features and then some.

thank you for the answer!

March 10, 2010 5:55 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

rmallen wrote:

Exactly, that's the main advantage of using a Twitter client, not having to use your web browser every time.
Of course depending on the client itself the advantages can be multiple, for example Tweetie allows you so set a global shortcut that will pop up a tiny window to type your twit on the fly, very nice.

Other things include a decent conversation view for Direct Messages, which the Twitter website doesn't seem to consider a feature worthy of better design and faster Twitter searches from within the client.

Filters are a big thing missing from Tweetie for Mac that his little brother on the iPhone sports. Hopefully version 2 will fix this.

Probably yes, maybe when version 2 comes around some of your woes will be fixed and then Tweetie will have a chance but from what I understand right now you need the powerhouse that is Tweetdeck.

March 10, 2010 8:39 pm

deej7@mac.com

Urchin

from Centerville, Ohio
1 posts

When/how do we get beta access to Tweetie 2 now?

March 10, 2010 9:33 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

deej7@mac.com wrote:

When/how do we get beta access to Tweetie 2 now?

Sometime around next month (hopefully) we will be notified via eMail, can't wait.

It's in my list of exciting things bound to happen in April, alongside with the iPad, Valve games on the Mac, and my Birthday

March 10, 2010 9:59 pm
ajbis

ajbis

Automaton Tech

from London
415 posts

This is great. I've been using Tweetie with the ads for a while so I'm thrilled to have a license.

This dog is green all the way wink

March 10, 2010 10:56 pm
f16332

f16332

Sky Pirate

1,135 posts

cliffrowley wrote:
Miah wrote:
rampancy wrote:

DockDodger (or Dockless) is your friend.

Whenever I undock Tweetie, it suddenly is unable to make network connections.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why.

It's because in order to hide its dock icon, an app needs to modify a file inside itself - which invalidates it against its code signature, which in turn means it's no longer allowed to do things it was previously privileged to do.  Dock icon hiding isn't supported by OS X.

I switched to Kiwi and I am loving it! It has no problem undocking for me... it seems to be only Tweetie.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB FreeSpace

March 10, 2010 11:32 pm

GTnKY

Urchin

3 posts

I can't get tweetie to show up in my Applications folder. I have to launch it each time from downloads.  Anyone know what may be causing this?

Thanks,
GT

March 11, 2010 1:20 am
koki

koki

Automaton Tech

444 posts

GTnKY wrote:

I can't get tweetie to show up in my Applications folder. I have to launch it each time from downloads.  Anyone know what may be causing this?

Thanks,
GT

Just drag and drop Tweetie into your applications folder.

March 11, 2010 1:27 am
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

GTnKY wrote:

Thanks,
GT

What happens if you try to drag its icon into the Applications folder?

March 11, 2010 1:45 am

GTnKY

Urchin

3 posts

That's the problem.  When I download Tweetie and click the downloaded file, I don't get an icon to drag to the App folder.  It just launches Tweetie.  When I close Tweetie, it's not in the App folder.  I have to repeat the aforementioned process every time I want to open Tweetie.

March 11, 2010 1:52 am
koki

koki

Automaton Tech

444 posts

Look in your downloads folder for the Tweetie icon, and drag that to the Applications folder.

What's happening is that Safari has a preference enabled that automatically opens "Safe Files." Tweetie comes bundled as a .zip, but to make it easier for the user, Safari will automatically un-zip Tweetie. Tweetie shouldn't automatically run on download, but that's what is happening.

March 11, 2010 2:20 am
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

f16332 wrote:
cliffrowley wrote:
Miah wrote:

Whenever I undock Tweetie, it suddenly is unable to make network connections.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why.

It's because in order to hide its dock icon, an app needs to modify a file inside itself - which invalidates it against its code signature, which in turn means it's no longer allowed to do things it was previously privileged to do.  Dock icon hiding isn't supported by OS X.

I switched to Kiwi and I am loving it! It has no problem undocking for me... it seems to be only Tweetie.

If you haven't already, check out the 1.2b5 version released tonight. It has some great things, most of which are actually in the API for theme designers. The release notes are here.

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

March 11, 2010 2:59 am

GTnKY

Urchin

3 posts

Ah, finally.  Thanks Koki.  I appreciate the help.

GT

March 11, 2010 4:55 am

danibee2k

Urchin

1 posts

I'm still having trouble registering.  I've put in my details but it's not automatically registering, it just keeps taking me to the buy page.  Do I need to re-download it?  (I've been using the ad-supported version for a while).

March 11, 2010 7:24 am
lycosman

lycosman

Tinkerer

from Leiria, Portugal
19 posts

I was using Tweetie (free version) since it came out and it was the best Twitter client out there. But since Twitter added Retweets and Lists that I've been using Echofon. Atebits is taking too long to update and I'm affraid that Twitter might implement new features soon, outdating Tweetie 2 right after it's release. I'm looking forward to try Tweetie 2, though. It's still my favorite client.

Check me on...

João's posterous | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook

March 11, 2010 8:59 am
Shadoslaya

Shadoslaya

Urchin

from Brisbane
9 posts

One word. Twhirl.
I guess this is a nice app, but when there is a free alternative that's just as good if not better, I really don't see the point.

March 11, 2010 9:15 am

gunp

Urchin

from Netherlands
4 posts

When will we see a preview of Tweetie 2 can't wait.

March 11, 2010 10:11 am
DreadedKilla

DreadedKilla

Sky Pirate

from Kelowna
1,164 posts

Within a month or two.

March 11, 2010 10:20 am

nickoutram

Urchin

from Brisbane, Australia
1 posts

lycosman wrote:

I was using Tweetie (free version) since it came out and it was the best Twitter client out there. But since Twitter added Retweets and Lists that I've been using Echofon. Atebits is taking too long to update and I'm affraid that Twitter might implement new features soon, outdating Tweetie 2 right after it's release. I'm looking forward to try Tweetie 2, though. It's still my favorite client.

Tweetie 2 for iPhone and Mac are entirely new applications using Loren's Bigbird Twitter engine, which was designed  to take advantages of all these new features so that when Twitter releases features he can "flip the switch" and update both applications.

Quote from atebits blog:

Once I sync the codebase for Tweetie for Mac and Tweetie for iPhone, expect an explosion in functionality. I will be able to explore new features in Tweetie for Mac, pushing out updates there instantly, and once I’m confident that changes are stable, push updates to the iPhone.

and:

Second, there are a ton of cool new features getting turned on soon on Twitter’s end.  I built Tweetie 2 to take advantage of them, so I’m hoping to “flip the switch” for the next update.  New style Retweets, per-tweet geotagging, and of course, Lists.

March 11, 2010 10:27 am
Ciono

Ciono

Gearhead

from Georgia Tech
75 posts

I jumped to Tweetie immediately because I've gotten so tired of Twitteriffic not staying in it's designate Space. I'm not totally enamored, though, because of many of the problems outlined in this thread. Particularly, though, is the inability to mark multiple tweets as read, as well as the too subtle difference between read tweets and unread tweets. Also, the lack of a always present input box. Good things: I really like the link and picture preview and url shrinking.

In other news, thanks to this thread, I'm now trying out Kiwi and really like it.

Also

Weird error I got while trying Tweetie: I got a 'bad gateway' error almost every time I tried sending a tweet.

 <OmNom> Cookie Monster is BLUE! <OmNom> 
In Praise of Folly

March 11, 2010 11:59 pm
Cefeida

Cefeida

Tinkerer

from a bad place
34 posts

I love Tweetie! I was using Echofon, which I was very happy with until it got messed up by a Firefox update. I then switched to Twitteriffic, which was passable but annoyed me for being so clunky with copypaste and no easy way to RT...

Now, Tweetie is just about perfect for me. I love that I never have to leave the app unless the link points outside of Twitter or a twitter pic site. I love that I can see other people's profiles there, preview pictures they post, follow them, retweet oldschool style, shorten a url on the fly WITHOUT having to paste it in solo first...

My only gripe is the popup tweet window. I would rather there was a free space always available for me to type in docked to the main app window. The way it is now is too many clicks away.

Ex navicula navis

March 12, 2010 12:43 am

dfjkl

Urchin

1 posts

Removed....typing in the code as opposed to copy/paste worked.  Don't get it...same content..but oh well.  Thanks.

March 12, 2010 4:04 am
kryptonite444

kryptonite444

Gearhead

from Mattawa, WA
66 posts

Can I just mention that I love Tweetie?!  I had been using Twitterrific but Tweetie is a huge step in a better direction.  I was able to get by but only able to use one account at a time with Twitterrific.

I loved it so much that I even switched to Tweetie 2 on my iPhone.  The thing I would change - only because I loved it in Twitterrific - is that I would like the option to toggle the Dock icon and leave it in the Menu Bar.

I look forward to Tweetie 2 and our pre-beta access!

March 15, 2010 5:44 am
omo

omo

Tinkerer

49 posts

Many thanks for Tweetie.
I bought the bundle for other apps and the addition of Tweetie was a nice added bonus.
I've used it since the Heist download and loved it UNTIL I realized I wasn't receiving and RT's!

Looks like this will be resolved in T2 according to this thread.

I'll stick to Twitteriffic for the time being (another great MHeist app) even thought I think "a moth or two" is a very long wait to achieve something so simple that a simpler app can already achieve.

Hurry up T2!

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTU0ODM3Njc5

March 15, 2010 2:37 pm
imfrog2002

imfrog2002

Automaton Tech

from Mesa, AZ
203 posts

Not sure if anyone saw, but Tweetie has been updated to 1.2.6. It adds some bog fixes, and New Retweet support (old-school style, with the RT in the front. Still, it's WELL worth the upgrade! big_smile)

MacHeist 4
Bring it on.

March 15, 2010 7:38 pm
omo

omo

Tinkerer

49 posts

Mere hours after I post about no RT's and an update is launched. Very cool.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTU0ODM3Njc5

March 15, 2010 8:24 pm
sogoodbo

sogoodbo

Tinkerer

from Toronto
17 posts

I switched to Tweetie from Twiterrific wink

Can't live without Music, Mac, Mom..... smile

March 15, 2010 8:28 pm

otimm

Urchin

3 posts

Thanks for the update, now I can finally use Tweetie instead of the web page and not miss the (sometimes very funny) RTs.

March 15, 2010 9:34 pm
capt_carl

capt_carl

Tinkerer

from Huntington, NY
48 posts

imfrog2002 wrote:

Not sure if anyone saw, but Tweetie has been updated to 1.2.6. It adds some bog fixes, and New Retweet support (old-school style, with the RT in the front. Still, it's WELL worth the upgrade! big_smile)

I knew about the update, but this is a nice new feature that I didn't even notice.  Awesome.

March 15, 2010 10:29 pm
sean77408

sean77408

Tinkerer

from Cleveland Ohio
12 posts

I can't wait for Tweetie 2, the lack of support for lists and the new ReTweets in the first Tweetie is getting kind of annoying.

Follow me on Twitter!

March 16, 2010 3:29 am
rcocchiararo

rcocchiararo

Tinkerer

12 posts

i have so many tweeter apps installed... tweetdeck, tweetie, twiterific, echofon, kiwi (demo), seesmic, socialite (well, no, ebentbox macheist edition really tongue)

i cant decide on one, tweetdeck and seesmic are the least used, eb is never opened.. i had more, that i finally deleted.

i hope tweetie 2.0 comes soon, and makes me decide tongue

March 17, 2010 2:27 am

kraetzichriz

Urchin

1 posts

Is it possible to sync read/unread tweets between Tweetie 2 for Mac and iPhone?

March 18, 2010 12:51 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

kraetzichriz wrote:

Is it possible to sync read/unread tweets between Tweetie 2 for Mac and iPhone?

That is supposedly a feature coming in Tweetie 2. We'll have to wait and see if it becomes a reality.

March 18, 2010 12:54 pm
symota

symota

Urchin

from Seattle
1 posts

So...I've been using an unregistered version of Tweetie 1 for a while now. I'm glad to now own a registered version as it's one of the best Twitter clients I've used. Can't wait for the Beta of version 2. How will we gain access? Does anyone know? Email probably?

March 19, 2010 6:35 pm
VelvetRose

VelvetRose

Automaton Tech

from Beyond Wonderland
215 posts

Shadoslaya wrote:

One word. Twhirl.
I guess this is a nice app, but when there is a free alternative that's just as good if not better, I really don't see the point.

I looked up Twhirl... Thank you for a fresh suggestion but let me just say I stopped reading when "Adobe AIR" came up. Never had a good experience with that. Besides, the less Adobe I can get by with, all the better.

Tweetie sure looks nice and I'll probably switch since I got a 'free' license but I'll hold off until Tweetie 2 arrives. Itsy works just fine for me until then.

March 19, 2010 6:48 pm
mgrego2

mgrego2

Automaton Tech

281 posts

I have a question. My first encounter with Twitter was for MacHeist, so I have very little experience. Thanks to bundles, I now have Tweetie and Socialite. Why all the love to Tweetie? It's a nice clean interface but Socialite seems to give me more/better opportunities for separating the wheat from the chaff. For example, the Meritline retweets gunk the hell out of Tweetie but are separated out by Socialite.

Am I missing something? Is there functionality in Tweetie that I don't take advantage of because I'm a noob? Thanks.

http://mgrego2.wordpress.com/

DropBox Goodness

March 19, 2010 6:58 pm
capt_carl

capt_carl

Tinkerer

from Huntington, NY
48 posts

No, Tweetie was released when none of that new stuff was available.  Tweetie 2 will correct this.

March 19, 2010 9:35 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Tweetie (Including Tweetie 2 Beta Access!)

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?