Forums

★ Clips

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Clips
darkchar

darkchar

Gearhead

from niagara falls canada
61 posts

I am still using Iclips from last year's bundle.  I really like it even though it is abandonware.  I downloaded Clips cause, well, I paid for it, but I am thinking from all the comments here that I should just trash it and continue to use Iclips for the moment.  Advice anyone??

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"-Mahatma Gandhi

March 26, 2010 5:25 pm

SLT

Urchin

2 posts

I had the same memory leak problem the first time I downloaded Clips. I deleted it like 30 minutes after downloading it.

However, another friend who also bought the bundle told me that she's got no problem at all from using Clips. So I gave it another try tonight. Downloaded it several hours ago and have been using it since then - I've clipped pictures (including high-resolution ones), text, codes... etc. NO PROBLEM AT ALL!

For all the functions it claims to deliver, it's worth it to give a second try. Though the memory problem I had during the first trial was pretty frustrating but now... it simply works!

March 26, 2010 7:15 pm
BugSquash

BugSquash

Gearhead

from Houston
80 posts

darkchar wrote:

I am still using Iclips from last year's bundle.  I really like it even though it is abandonware.  I downloaded Clips cause, well, I paid for it, but I am thinking from all the comments here that I should just trash it and continue to use Iclips for the moment.  Advice anyone??

Just try it for yourself and see.

Just be aware that it's constantly connected to Conceited Software's servers (ostensibly just checking the license so it theoretically isn't a big security/privacy risk) even when the app is quit - you have to remove ClipsHelper from login items and quit it from Activity Monitor to stop it.

March 26, 2010 7:22 pm
darkchar

darkchar

Gearhead

from niagara falls canada
61 posts

BugSquash wrote:
darkchar wrote:

Just be aware that it's constantly connected to Conceited Software's servers (ostensibly just checking the license so it theoretically isn't a big security/privacy risk) even when the app is quit - you have to remove ClipsHelper from login items and quit it from Activity Monitor to stop it.

Thanks but this still doesn't answer my question.  Iclips or Clips ??  Should I just keep using Iclip since so many people have had trouble with Clips?   I think Iclips is pretty cool and I never had any trouble with it but I hate to get rid of Clips since it is current and so far, updatable whereas Iclip is not either.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"-Mahatma Gandhi

March 26, 2010 10:45 pm
cianmm

cianmm

Automaton Tech

from Dublin, Ireland
408 posts

Clips has now started resetting registration details randomly.

Here comes my fourth season of MacHeist!

March 27, 2010 12:31 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

BugSquash wrote:
darkchar wrote:

Meh, I kinda feel disappointed when developers have so little trust in their customers.
It's not like these kind of activation schemes are unbreakable so why bother with it? Just check the serial once and that's it.

March 27, 2010 6:48 pm
VelvetRose

VelvetRose

Automaton Tech

from Beyond Wonderland
215 posts

iDarbert wrote:

Meh, I kinda feel disappointed when developers have so little trust in their customers.
It's not like these kind of activation schemes are unbreakable so why bother with it? Just check the serial once and that's it.

I do too. smile

The double-standard many of the developers (those using activation) are exhibiting is the worst part I think. They require that I trust them with my personal information, like addresses and such after I have already paid for a license and yet, they still can't trust me that I'll hold up my end of the license agreement? hmm

I try to stay clear of activated software as much as possible so Clips is far gone, but Adobe... oh, well.

March 28, 2010 7:57 pm
Ten

Ten

Gearhead

72 posts

Despite my euphoria in the beginning, I deactivated Clips. Anyway, they should at least permit two computers have clips run. I got it on my desktop and when I had it installed on my laptop, it immediately asked me if I'd like to purchase another license or deactivate it since one license was running ....

March 28, 2010 10:36 pm
rhinolith

rhinolith

Urchin

from Singapore
5 posts

I was using Clips but then it kicked my registration. I looked on the developer's site for some support but their forum board really sucks. I didn't even get a registration email from their forum so I can't post the issue. What a joke.

March 31, 2010 2:44 pm
Kampf Katze

Kampf Katze

Tinkerer

from Berlin
14 posts

I love the idea, i love the app how it looks and work, but i can't use it at the moment.
The app using to much RAM. I have an Alu iMac of the first gen. I can only setup 4 GB of RAM and when an App like iClip using permanently around 400 MB of it or more and didn't free up the memory, it's not helpfully for me. iClip using more RAM as Photoshop.

I wrote a mail to the support, but i didn't get a feedback since one week. Not really great i found :-(

April 7, 2010 9:41 am
deej

deej

Automaton Tech

450 posts

renaldjhest3 wrote:

wow cool apps. thanks for this thread guys.

Reported (sig)

Get Dropbox! 2.25GB free storage

April 7, 2010 2:20 pm
neko

neko

from barren wastelands of wisconsin
238 posts

deej wrote:
renaldjhest3 wrote:

wow cool apps. thanks for this thread guys.

Reported (sig)

got him.

still a better mod than taru.

April 7, 2010 4:30 pm

davemee

Urchin

3 posts

Clips routinely kicks in over 2GB of real memory usage, just taking in text (the default 15 items).

As much as I want to love this bit of software, it's a car-crash. I can't believe it's been released in this state. I've been forced to power-cycle my machine twice in the last two days due to clips, and my partner (also using it) suffers the same appalling memory use.

The developer hasn't responded to queries, and seems to have been busy making an IRC client for iPads in preference to fixing the stuff they've already released in an unstable and fundamentally flawed state.

Anyone asking, I'd suggest sticking with this 'iclips'. At least it won't force you to power cycle your machine, lose work, or sit staring at a frozen machine for hours at a time.

April 12, 2010 1:00 pm

tanguerilla

Urchin

1 posts

i´ve purchased clips as a part of the MacHeist nanoBundle on march 10th 2010.

but when i´m starting clips, i constantly get the message:
»Trial expired«.

whats´s wriong?

April 15, 2010 7:53 am
myfreeweb

myfreeweb

Urchin

from Russia
8 posts

everything's ok with memory usage...
BUT it saves only one clip on Snow Leo! So it's almost useless. It was fine on Leopard.

April 17, 2010 7:02 pm
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

myfreeweb wrote:

everything's ok with memory usage...
BUT it saves only one clip

Are you sure it's actually running..?

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB free backup space

April 18, 2010 9:29 am
myfreeweb

myfreeweb

Urchin

from Russia
8 posts

moviegod wrote:

Are you sure it's actually running..?

of course!
I can see in the organizer window... when I click Cmd+C, a new clip appears. And the previous clip disappears! sad

April 21, 2010 7:33 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

I just wrote Conceited Software a lengthy email asking for a progress update on Clips. Nearly 8 months since the last update: I think we deserve some concrete and honest answers as to their committment to fix the numerous bugs. I also added a warning about making the next update a 2.0 update, as I recall reading that being a problem with this company in the past.

So we'll see what they have to say. I hope they'll be honest in trying to address the issues (numerous as they are).

Update: It's been a few days and not even a peep from Conceited Software. Starting to really live up to their company name and reputation for being a less-than-stellar developer. Might go and buy Stuf on MacZOT and just forget about Clips altogether.

Get a 2GB Dropbox account + additional space free for you & me

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

April 26, 2010 4:29 pm

flashman34s

Urchin

1 posts

Leaving aside the registration woes, Clips is still a terrible application. Drag-and-drop doesn't work properly... you end up with multiple copies of the same image, even when dragging different items. Clips mostly doesn't show up in the menu bar for me - either the icon, or the application menu when it's launched - which is a real pain because that makes the preferences inaccessible.

I wonder whether MacHeist even used the application before adding it to the bundle. A serious turnoff from buying future MacHeist bundles.

May 2, 2010 6:33 am
johnnybdot

johnnybdot

Gearhead

77 posts

flashman34s wrote:

I wonder whether MacHeist even used the application before adding it to the bundle. A serious turnoff from buying future MacHeist bundles.

Add to that several other problems (CoverScout, Tweetie, Monkey Island and Spam mails in the last bundle alone) and I tend to agree...
What really annoys me is the missing communication on their side.
No update from their communication with atebits, no further investigation on the spam issue, I would love to be updated on these matters before the new bundle comes out...

Get Dropbox through my referral link (you get 250MB more than usually): https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY0NDU4MzQ5
Many thanks!

May 2, 2010 12:17 pm
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Nashville
2,764 posts

johnnybdot wrote:

What really annoys me is the missing communication on their side.

It is best not to know what the Directorate are doing. It would be kind of like knowing the date that you are going to die. For example, if I knew that MH4 would start on 8/12/10 then I would never feel any anticipation opening the MH webpage until then.

As far as communications about the emails, Tweetie, etc, I doubt they are withholding any useful information from us. They may have a closer relationship with the developer than we have, but you have to remember that they are getting shafted just as badly as we are and would probably like the beta to be released weeks ago just like everyone else. I don't see a conspiracy here, just a good con by Loren.

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

May 2, 2010 3:23 pm

thebanite

Tinkerer

13 posts

I've had lots of the issues mentioned with this one, but in the end I find everything working. Still zero support, though.

May 9, 2010 2:24 am

zelpapang

Urchin

4 posts

Please, can someone tell me how to deactivate clips. I recently changed laptop and cannot use it anymore until I deactivate my previous machine (which I sold already).
Cheers

July 5, 2010 12:24 am
JackV

JackV

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,072 posts

mail the dev. good luck

I write about Juice on Entsafter.co

July 5, 2010 6:48 am
VelvetRose

VelvetRose

Automaton Tech

from Beyond Wonderland
215 posts

Stop wasting your time on poorly written and essentially non-supported software and find an alternative. This way you can enjoy less stressful experiences and specifically in terms of Clips, one that actually launches...

When the leaking boat is resting on the bottom it is time to jump ship.

July 5, 2010 9:35 am
DreadedKilla

DreadedKilla

Sky Pirate

from Kelowna
1,164 posts

VelvetRose wrote:

When the leaking boat is resting on the bottom it is time to jump ship.

That might be rather too late...

July 5, 2010 11:40 am
VelvetRose

VelvetRose

Automaton Tech

from Beyond Wonderland
215 posts

For some of us... indeed. big_smile

July 5, 2010 12:29 pm
mgrego2

mgrego2

Automaton Tech

281 posts

I picked up Voila through another bundle and it has been excellent.

http://mgrego2.wordpress.com/

DropBox Goodness

July 5, 2010 3:11 pm
DennyCrane

DennyCrane

Tinkerer

39 posts

There is a Clips beta version that fixes much of the memory issues and the abbreviations. But is pretty unstable, at least for me.

At the Green Monkey team. Denny Crane!

July 19, 2010 9:22 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

DennyCrane wrote:

There is a Clips beta version that fixes much of the memory issues and the abbreviations. But is pretty unstable, at least for me.

Where did you get your hands on the beta?

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

July 20, 2010 8:33 pm
DennyCrane

DennyCrane

Tinkerer

39 posts

WalrusCP wrote:

Where did you get your hands on the beta?

Check Clips developer blog. There you get the info.

At the Green Monkey team. Denny Crane!

July 22, 2010 4:43 pm

slienke

Urchin

1 posts

How do you remove clips? I moved it to my trash can and it still serves up a pop that says my trial period is over, do I want to purchase...?

July 30, 2010 5:19 pm
Lioness

Lioness

Sky Pirate

from Universe (Sweden)
1,474 posts

Checked to start the app to see if there was a new update, haven't checked this since we got it and it was unusable.
But I had the latest update, holy crap, nothing have happened here.
Still + 50mb memory steal?? hmm

twitter | website
dropbox referral +250MB | minus invite +1GB

November 1, 2010 4:35 am

iamthelab

Urchin

from Santa Rosa
1 posts

Clips has been great and just recently stopped working. Wonder if it has to do with the new Mac OS X update?

November 17, 2010 6:15 am
sideoutmtb

sideoutmtb

Automaton Tech

from SoCal
175 posts

2.0 is available and free in the Mac App store.

Dropbox 250MB more free

March 11, 2011 5:22 pm
Kampf Katze

Kampf Katze

Tinkerer

from Berlin
14 posts

sideoutmtb wrote:

What a shame...
The didn't inform any old customers (or they do it????) and let us bought this app in the past over a macheist promotion, but without any updates over a year. Now Clips cost around 5 dollars in the AppStore.

I wrote them a Mail a few seconds ago.

Sorry if my english is not the best, but it's not my foreign language. But I think the developer will understand what I will say to them...

Hi there,

after a long time I take a view on your application named "Clips" and I noticed, that you put an update online.

I try to download it, because I bought Clips 1.5 in the past over macheist, but I found now download button. I take a look on your twitter feed and now I was angry... You give the app out for free at the start and now... You would have money again? Sorry folks, but I think you know what happen in the past with version 1.5. If not, pls. read all the comments on macheist around your application. A lot of users reporting that the have a big problem with the memory (including me by the way). Your software was unusable and there was no update for over a year.
-> http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopi … =16952&p=1

Is that what you understand under support for customers? Why we didn't get an mail that you give it for free on the App Store? Only one guy on macheist post in the old thread something around the free App in the AppStore...

So I hope, that you will give all customers from the old macheist deal a chance, to download it again for free, because your software was official buggy in the past.

May 7, 2011 10:58 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

Kampf Katze wrote:
sideoutmtb wrote:

What a shame...
The didn't inform any old customers (or they do it????) and let us bought this app in the past over a macheist promotion, but without any updates over a year. Now Clips cost around 5 dollars in the AppStore.

I wrote them a Mail a few seconds ago.

Sorry if my english is not the best, but it's not my foreign language. But I think the developer will understand what I will say to them...

Hi there,

after a long time I take a view on your application named "Clips" and I noticed, that you put an update online.

I try to download it, because I bought Clips 1.5 in the past over macheist, but I found now download button. I take a look on your twitter feed and now I was angry... You give the app out for free at the start and now... You would have money again? Sorry folks, but I think you know what happen in the past with version 1.5. If not, pls. read all the comments on macheist around your application. A lot of users reporting that the have a big problem with the memory (including me by the way). Your software was unusable and there was no update for over a year.
-> http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopi … =16952&p=1

Is that what you understand under support for customers? Why we didn't get an mail that you give it for free on the App Store? Only one guy on macheist post in the old thread something around the free App in the AppStore...

So I hope, that you will give all customers from the old macheist deal a chance, to download it again for free, because your software was official buggy in the past.

They've been saying that if you email them as a past customer they will try and get a promo code to you if you missed the free sale period.

May 9, 2011 1:02 am
Lawdom

Lawdom

Automaton Tech

from Iowa
142 posts

Kampf Katze wrote:
sideoutmtb wrote:

There is an old saying. You snooze. You lose.

May 9, 2011 8:08 pm

johngps

Urchin

1 posts

To be honest, this is bullshit! I mean: come on it's a clipboard tool ... something you may want to have on all your machines. Together with the "locked" RapidReaver that was not indicated as such when I initially bought the bundle, I'm feeling more and more ripped off. Definitely not the user experience I am used to here at MacHeist - disappointing :-(

70-648 , 70-649 , anti snoring devices , photo retouching

May 25, 2012 11:19 am
GaxChimmill

GaxChimmill

Banned

10 posts

Как практика показывает, каталоги уже не вариант, доски объявлений дают мало толку! Покупка ссылок на биржах удовольствие дорогое!
Мы предлогаем наростить массу вашего сайта в поисковых системах, путем наращиванием обратных ссылок!
Осуществляем раскрутку вашего сайта, либо любого объявления, услуге по профилям, форумам, блогам, гостевым!
-Партнерская программа 10%
-Скидки постоянным клиентам до 20%
-Огромный вариант тарифов и возможностей!
Консултация!

Солянка 10 000 сайтов(ссылка вашего сайта в профилях, каталогах, блогах, гостевых, форумах) Всего 350 руб!!!
Солянка 600000 сайтов(ссылка вашего сайта в профилях, каталогах, блогах, гостевых, форумах) Всего 8000 руб!!!

Контакты для связи:

ICQ 648486829
ICQ 623315134
email: progonseomail@gmail.com

Онанируем онлайн

December 19, 2013 4:13 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Clips

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?