Forums

Calcbot/Socialite

MacHeist Forums » Support Desk » Calcbot/Socialite
irulan

irulan

Tinkerer

12 posts

Just wanted to say thanks for excluding me from this promotion because I don't use Facebook.

July 15, 2010 7:16 am
stjg

stjg

Big Game Hunter

from Here
578 posts

I have seen many lotteries that require a Grimacecatalog account; I just didn't take participate. You could say the same regarding Twitter. MacHeist is a promotion platform. No more no less.

Do something healthy.
Stop eating too many Oranges!

July 15, 2010 7:24 am
CraftyHeist

CraftyHeist

Automaton Tech

307 posts

Sounds like you excluded yourself ...

July 15, 2010 8:13 am
hoyaman

hoyaman

Big Game Hunter

from Houston, TX
940 posts

It takes about 5 minutes (or much less) to set up a FaceBook account.  Fake e-mail, fake name, whatever.

btw, If you don't use Facebook, what need do you have for an app like Socialite?

Mozy - backup to the cloud, restore when your computer bites the dust.
BBCODE snippets for TYPINATOR!
DROPBOX: GET 250MB extra FREE!

July 15, 2010 8:55 am
Miah

Miah

3,689 posts

hoyaman wrote:

btw, If you don't use Facebook, what need do you have for an app like Socialite?

You act as if Facebook is all it does.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

July 15, 2010 9:01 am
hoyaman

hoyaman

Big Game Hunter

from Houston, TX
940 posts

Miah wrote:
hoyaman wrote:

You act as if Facebook is all it does.

What? No, I don't.  But if you don't use Facebook, how much value is there in having a rather limited app for Twitter, Flickr, Google Reader, RSS and an anonymous Digg reader?

For some, those may be the only services they use, but the interface and feature set of Socialite will quickly underwhelm most, in comparison to the actual web services. Users of those web apps would be better served by an app like Hana.  The ad-supported version of Socialite would be sufficient for everyone else.

Socialite is nice for what it does - it trims a lot of feature sets and allows for quick updates and status checks - but it ain't the bee's knees.  The iPhone apps for FaceBook, Twitter, and Digg all offer better integration with those services (underscoring why $30 seems like too much for many people).

Also, it should be noted that if you don't have a FaceBook account, and don't want to create one (it takes only marginally longer to create a Facebook account than it does to post a new thread on MH), you can download the ad-supported full version of Socialite here:

http://realmacsoftware.com/socialite/

Now we can all be included!

Mozy - backup to the cloud, restore when your computer bites the dust.
BBCODE snippets for TYPINATOR!
DROPBOX: GET 250MB extra FREE!

July 15, 2010 6:44 pm
f16332

f16332

Sky Pirate

1,135 posts

oobe wrote:

Waaaah! I deleted my email this morning by accident - can someone copy me on theres - rob at gilgan.com

Many thanks.

Here is a link to get it: http://www.macheist.com/calcbot#getIt

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB FreeSpace

July 16, 2010 1:54 am
irulan

irulan

Tinkerer

12 posts

There is a world outside of Facebook, you know.

July 16, 2010 2:46 pm
leson2403

leson2403

Tinkerer

13 posts

I agree that there is a world outside of Facebook.
That's why I use Socialite with Twitter and created a fake Facebook account that was abandoned 5 minutes after creation (with a random Gmail for email).

I think that... obvious?

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

September 4, 2010 9:40 am
f16332

f16332

Sky Pirate

1,135 posts

Wow resurrecting an old thread again?? And not even for support reasons.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB FreeSpace

September 4, 2010 3:37 pm
MacHeist Forums » Support Desk » Calcbot/Socialite

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?