Forums

For early customers who experienced issues

MacHeist Forums » Support Desk » For early customers who experienced issues
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

We're working on fixing it now, and as a note of appreciation for your patience, MacHeist will be purchasing an additional application for all who were affected. Sorry again for the issue, and hopefully this will compensate you guys for the stress/delay.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

December 12, 2006 11:18 am
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

And for the stress of the Heist 4 PM issue, still unsolved? wink

Look Ma, no teeth!

December 12, 2006 11:20 am
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon wrote:

And for the stress of the Heist 4 PM issue, still unsolved? wink

It's honestly a lower priority at the moment, though definitely a standing issue. Our concern at the moment is resolving issues for our customers, and those having issues retrieving freebies second.

December 12, 2006 11:26 am
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

Perfectly understandable smile

Look Ma, no teeth!

December 12, 2006 11:41 am
bullet

bullet

Automaton Tech

from Howell, MI
187 posts

Wow, I really didn't expect that.  That's totally above and beyond what the directorate needs to do.

December 12, 2006 12:06 pm
kickfliperjo

kickfliperjo

Sky Pirate

1,140 posts

servers was overloaded and I was unable to be in the 10 first customers list. also 25,000 on 1 is not fair....

December 12, 2006 12:46 pm
ThomasAcosta

ThomasAcosta

Tinkerer

from Germany
25 posts

so let's wait and see what this is going to be... but thanks anyway, was able to buy the bundle the third time i tried, the first two were with paypal and didn't work...

let's go

December 12, 2006 12:55 pm
Davrizio

Davrizio

Tinkerer

from Orlando Fl
17 posts

Wow! Thanks Phillryu and company... smile

The servers must have been smokin'...I was able to refresh a couple minutes to 9am and the next refresh didn't come through almost 9:30...it said 37 had been sold already...

December 12, 2006 1:01 pm

zed2

Urchin

7 posts

Being from the UK I was not able to buy until I faked a US state...almost a mini heist on it's own! tongue

Got my bundle at number 27 I think.. I was waiting and refreshing to buy but due to overloading missed out oh well...love the apps tho... I used iclip before and liked it reinstalled it again now... and the Delicious Library is just way cool.. I spent last night scanning all the books I could find in the house..have to look at the Bluetooth scanner, it's 100ukp here.

Cheers,
--Zed

December 12, 2006 1:06 pm
jdcfsu

jdcfsu

Automaton Tech

268 posts

Thanks for working so hard on this Phill.  I know it must be a complete pain to go in and manually figure out who needs serial numbers.  Again, thank you not only for you work on this matter but all the effort you and the Directorate put into MacHeist as it was truly a great experience.

I like to pull heists.

December 12, 2006 1:13 pm
kickfliperjo

kickfliperjo

Sky Pirate

1,140 posts

still its not fair chance of 10 people aganist 25,000 .... my page not refreshed for 20 mins  then it said "27 sold"

December 12, 2006 1:16 pm
kidzmatter2me

kidzmatter2me

Tinkerer

from Indiana
17 posts

Phill, thank you.  As a user affected by this issue, I didn't really have any problem with waiting, as long as I got my serials.  This goes above and beyond what I expected, and I thank you.  I look forward to participating in whatever little piece of viral marketing you come up with next wink.

Ooh, teams!

December 12, 2006 1:36 pm
matthew.gallagher

matthew.gallagher

Gearhead

from Florida
65 posts

What exactly is going to be the definition of "For early customers who experienced issues"? Will it be for folks like me that were unable to actually load to buy the bundle or were there even greater issues with payment.

Phil, I think any clarification on your statement would be helpful for us. smile

Also, thanks for all of the hard work the team did putting this together. It has been fun, even with these glitches.

Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves…Abraham Lincoln

December 12, 2006 1:36 pm
atticusrex

atticusrex

Sky Pirate

from dfw
1,025 posts

matthew.gallagher: My thoughts on the question you posed is this:

The Directorate will issue another unique app to those who did purchase but had problems from that point on i.e. getting confirmation, not getting the early licenses, having the Macheist site tell us we didn't buy when we did because it can't find our payment record while Paypal has already deducted the payment from us and paid Macheist.

As for the problem of logging in to buy... well that shouldn't be an issue when thousands hit the server at once.  That should have been expected actually.

It's the glitches that affect the few early buyers that once established as a problem was fixed for all the other buyers who are out playing with their new shiny toys whilst we workout our patience muscles.

At least this is my take on things... I could be wrong.

Been Drinking the Mac KoolAid since 1984
See You in the Land Of The Useless
Neon Charity Films

December 12, 2006 1:47 pm
atticusrex

atticusrex

Sky Pirate

from dfw
1,025 posts

PHILL: Wow... did my posts get to you guys?  LOL.  Actually thank you for stepping up in terms of what happened to some of us.  Way cool!  I already passed on info about this to other sites yesterday when you addressed to me that all would be made right and that people could now purchase without any problems... and now stepping up with all the hard work still ahead of your team... well... see that is what makes MacHeist, My Dream App and whatever else you got cookin' in the back room worthwhile and something worth Shouting out to all the other Mac users and to the envious Windows dude chained to his boring OS.

Thank You!

Neon Charity Films

December 12, 2006 1:51 pm

bpinard

Gearhead

65 posts

I was also affected.  I only recieved the initial email with a few serials in it, I haven't recieved any more.

December 12, 2006 2:41 pm
bullet

bullet

Automaton Tech

from Howell, MI
187 posts

bpinard wrote:

I was also affected.  I only recieved the initial email with a few serials in it, I haven't recieved any more.

Yeah, I don't think thats the same thing.  Those affected have gotten no serials and no acknowledgment of purchase.

December 12, 2006 2:43 pm
atommccree

atommccree

Gearhead

57 posts

I got nothing yet but a paypal reciept

December 12, 2006 3:02 pm
bullet

bullet

Automaton Tech

from Howell, MI
187 posts

atommccree wrote:

I got nothing yet but a paypal reciept

Ya, I think that is the group that this is targeting.

December 12, 2006 3:06 pm

bpinard

Gearhead

65 posts

I still didn't get my rapidweaver and fotomagico serials.

December 12, 2006 3:07 pm

stokkes

Tinkerer

36 posts

It hasn't been  72 hours.

December 12, 2006 3:17 pm
Big-G

Big-G

Tinkerer

from Atlanta, GA
24 posts

Thanks Phill! Unexpected, unnecessary in my opinion, but much appreciated! And I promise not to whine about whatever app it is. ;-)

I'm one of those who paid by PayPal within the first hour and have not yet received any serial numbers or a PayPal receipt. Paypal has deducted the money from my account and shows it has paid to MH. I actually bought 2 bundles, one for me and one for my wife. We're waiting patiently for this to be resolved, confident that it's getting fixed.

Question: Realizing you're probably getting more than a few e-mails, I haven't sent one regarding this matter. I'm assuming you can/have identified those who experienced the problem. Should I send an e-mail or not? If it's not necessary, I won't, but if it helps I will.

Thanks again!
Gary

December 12, 2006 3:30 pm
Miah

Miah

3,688 posts

I would have to say mine was the worst wait. I actually skipped a class to ensure that I would get the app quickly, and got this in return:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r280/KyuuketsukiMiah/howiwasscrewed.png

It remained like this for two hours. CNN and Google would load, but MacHeist would not.

I blame this in part on the network, but now I know why sad

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

December 12, 2006 4:35 pm

danisse

Tinkerer

21 posts

That looks like either a network or high-traffic problem. That's not what he's talking about. Some users bought the bundle with Paypal and still haven't received anything. Me included.

ETA: If you're wondering whether or not you are in the affected group, you're probaby not.

December 12, 2006 4:39 pm
mixmanner

mixmanner

Gearhead

from Chicago
57 posts

matthew.gallagher wrote:

What exactly is going to be the definition of "For early customers who experienced issues"? Will it be for folks like me that were unable to actually load to buy the bundle or were there even greater issues with payment.

Phil, I think any clarification on your statement would be helpful for us. smile

Also, thanks for all of the hard work the team did putting this together. It has been fun, even with these glitches.

Excellent question.  I too wasn't able to reload the page until after 27 had already been bought, but then I received no problems with payment.

sowens

Tinkerer

19 posts

Thanks so much Phill! You and the MacHeist team deserve kudos for all your hard work!

kickfliperjo

kickfliperjo

Sky Pirate

1,140 posts

still i blame it for high traffic. no compensation for this.

December 12, 2006 5:06 pm
jamito

jamito

Tinkerer

from Iowa
42 posts

I think that giving us a free app for those that had paypal problems is great.  They are essentially saying that is was their fault, and hey, we are gonna fix it and compensate for it.  However, for those who want compensation for the high traffic, what did you expect.  This is not their fault, this is just the fact that lots of people wanted to get one of the 1st  10 bundles.  Its like buying tickets to an event that everyone wants to go, or buying an item online that is in limited quantities (wii/ps3).  With 10 free bundles and lots of people wanting it, it was expected that the server would be slow.  If ticketmaster & amazon can be slowed down because of high traffic, I can expect macheist's servers to be slow when there is high traffic.  Just my two cents.

Nothing here, just random text.

December 12, 2006 5:13 pm
matthew.gallagher

matthew.gallagher

Gearhead

from Florida
65 posts

atticusrex wrote:

matthew.gallagher: My thoughts on the question you posed is this:

The Directorate will issue another unique app to those who did purchase but had problems from that point on i.e. getting confirmation, not getting the early licenses, having the Macheist site tell us we didn't buy when we did because it can't find our payment record while Paypal has already deducted the payment from us and paid Macheist.

As for the problem of logging in to buy... well that shouldn't be an issue when thousands hit the server at once.  That should have been expected actually.

It's the glitches that affect the few early buyers that once established as a problem was fixed for all the other buyers who are out playing with their new shiny toys whilst we workout our patience muscles.

At least this is my take on things... I could be wrong.

AtticusRex…appreciate your insight, but this is really a question only someone from MacHeist can answer. They determine the threshold and since Phil started the thread, I was hoping he would clarify what MacHeist determines to be a "problem".
smile

Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves…Abraham Lincoln

December 12, 2006 5:16 pm
atticusrex

atticusrex

Sky Pirate

from dfw
1,025 posts

JAMITO: Just what I said in an earlier post... MacHeist has stepped up to help those who had REAL issues with how yesterdays Bundle started off.

The peeps who had issues with Traffic... well yeah and...?

So again Thank You Phill and the MH Team.

Now wonder what the 'extra' surprise app is?  You know what?  It doesn't matter...
It's that MH stepped up.

Neon Charity Films

December 12, 2006 5:17 pm
atticusrex

atticusrex

Sky Pirate

from dfw
1,025 posts

matthew.gallagher: Of course and I understand that.  I just felt it was common sense that those who suffered because of slow loading or error in loading due to server back-up and traffic is an issue that should have been expected and came as no surprise.

The issue that I believe Phill is addressing are the few who paid but ran into all sorts of problems early on.  They (MH) know who those folks (including moi) are.

Whew!  Yes your right though Phill could be a little more clear on this subject but I think I have at least. After all these MH guys are very busy and up to their collective arse in Alligators!

Neon Charity Films

December 12, 2006 5:21 pm
Gonzie

Gonzie

Automaton Tech

from British Isles
395 posts

phillryu wrote:

We're working on fixing it now, and as a note of appreciation for your patience, MacHeist will be purchasing an additional application for all who were affected. Sorry again for the issue, and hopefully this will compensate you guys for the stress/delay.

thanks mate smile

There's bullet holes where my compassion used to be
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 12, 2006 5:45 pm

jose_v

Gearhead

52 posts

It'd be nice to have at least the option to buy the additional software for a discounted price :bats eyes: smile, if not make the bundle all the more the rage by adding it on!

December 12, 2006 5:51 pm
Gonzie

Gonzie

Automaton Tech

from British Isles
395 posts

jose_v wrote:

It'd be nice to have at least the option to buy the additional software for a discounted price :bats eyes: smile, if not make the bundle all the more the rage by adding it on!

thats a sound idea smile

December 12, 2006 6:05 pm
Miah

Miah

3,688 posts

danisse wrote:

That looks like either a network or high-traffic problem. That's not what he's talking about. Some users bought the bundle with Paypal and still haven't received anything. Me included.

ETA: If you're wondering whether or not you are in the affected group, you're probaby not.

Perhaps I need to clarify, even though I mentioned this: I could load sites such as Google and CNN and some webcomics I frequent. MacHeist exclusivly had this error.

What you cannot see is that the tiny text at the bottom of the image said "CheckPage Failed" which means either there was a failure to resolve the DNS, or the loaded page contained no data.

Either way, this would not be just my network.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

December 12, 2006 6:20 pm
Fraser

Fraser

Tinkerer

40 posts

I just want to say Thank you to Phill Ryu and co. They seem to have worked so hard to try and let this run smoothly, and respond when there hve been problems as quickly as possible.
I had problems, purchasing the bundle (The UK, no state issue) and phill and co got onto it, less than a day later, a fix appeared, and they even emailed me and told me!!
Great Customer service, very appreciative!

Team Green Monkeys™: "It's monkey business!!!"

December 12, 2006 6:26 pm
Gonzie

Gonzie

Automaton Tech

from British Isles
395 posts

Fraser wrote:

I just want to say Thank you to Phill Ryu and co. They seem to have worked so hard to try and let this run smoothly, and respond when there hve been problems as quickly as possible.
I had problems, purchasing the bundle (The UK, no state issue) and phill and co got onto it, less than a day later, a fix appeared, and they even emailed me and told me!!
Great Customer service, very appreciative!

oh well i'm from the uk here too, no fix here :s

December 12, 2006 6:35 pm
zackkitzmiller

zackkitzmiller

Big Game Hunter

from Rockford, IL
591 posts

I'm sure my being charged 9 times doesn't qualify me for a free app. But you guys really are running a stand up operation here, and again i apologize for my ranting yesterday.

http://forrst.com

December 12, 2006 6:44 pm
phoenixsong44

phoenixsong44

Tinkerer

from Michigan
28 posts

Miah wrote:
danisse wrote:

Perhaps I need to clarify, even though I mentioned this: I could load sites such as Google and CNN and some webcomics I frequent. MacHeist exclusivly had this error.

What you cannot see is that the tiny text at the bottom of the image said "CheckPage Failed" which means either there was a failure to resolve the DNS, or the loaded page contained no data.

Either way, this would not be just my network.

I don't think you understand. Of course MacHeist is going to be slow to load or fail when thousands of people are all trying buy something at once. The servers just aren't capable of that. This is not the issue that Phil is talking about. You can't really blame macheist for this, as nearly every other website that has ever done something like this with 'the first x number of customers get something amazing' has slow load times or failures. Have you ever visited Woot.com during a wootoff? Actually I was impressed with how well macheist's servers held up. Phil is talking about genuine issues where customers who paid failed to get what they paid for.

December 12, 2006 7:16 pm

buscemi

Tinkerer

from Pittsburgh, PA
43 posts

Yes, and those who failed to get what they paid for have been patient.  They should just refund the sale and let us use a damn credit card to get it right.  Jeez, didn't think PayPal would be such an issue.  Have been patient to this point but now I feel it should have been rectified.

December 12, 2006 7:24 pm
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

It will be rectified today, and I'm talking to some devs for a potential bonus to you guys to compensate for the stress you guys have no doubt undergone... just take a deep breath. These apps are yours. You will get them soon. smile

And to note, yes, this is embarassing that we're having issues wtih Paypal. But no, it's not as simple of a problem as you would think. The web programmer was on the phone for hours with Paypal, and they couldn't figure it out either... so we've had to manually hunt down every one of you and crosscheck to compile a list. But that part's done now, so what you should expect sometime soon is an email to your paypal address with instructions on reclaiming your bundle(s).

December 12, 2006 7:29 pm

buscemi

Tinkerer

from Pittsburgh, PA
43 posts

wow Phill you are quick, thanks for the reply.  Sorry for the rant, but it did feel good regardless ;-)

December 12, 2006 7:30 pm

dandandan

Urchin

5 posts

Paypal just didn't work yesterday,  after many many may tries I finally managed to charge the bundle to VISA though (yay)

I think these woes might be what are holding a lot of people back from buying the bundle... if it's not been mentioned 101 times already...

December 12, 2006 7:40 pm
Gonzie

Gonzie

Automaton Tech

from British Isles
395 posts

phillryu wrote:

It will be rectified today, and I'm talking to some devs for a potential bonus to you guys to compensate for the stress you guys have no doubt undergone... just take a deep breath. These apps are yours. You will get them soon. smile

And to note, yes, this is embarassing that we're having issues wtih Paypal. But no, it's not as simple of a problem as you would think. The web programmer was on the phone for hours with Paypal, and they couldn't figure it out either... so we've had to manually hunt down every one of you and crosscheck to compile a list. But that part's done now, so what you should expect sometime soon is an email to your paypal address with instructions on reclaiming your bundle(s).

good news, keep us in the loop mate

thanks very much for everything

December 12, 2006 10:02 pm

bradpowers

Tinkerer

16 posts

Will the bundle apps and such be available in our loot?

December 12, 2006 11:10 pm

angharad

Gearhead

68 posts

I assume we'd have to download them same as everyone else.

December 12, 2006 11:12 pm
jdcfsu

jdcfsu

Automaton Tech

268 posts

angharad wrote:

I assume we'd have to download them same as everyone else.

Yeah, you download it and then enter the serial number.

I like to pull heists.

December 12, 2006 11:26 pm
tool462rules

tool462rules

Automaton Tech

from USA
125 posts

Thanks to you Phill and Co.
I have been very patient and have tried to be as nice as possible.  Special thanks to Joe Kavanagh.  He did an awesome job on responding to my email and reassuring me everything would be cool. ;-) TextMate without having to wait for 100k would be acceptable to me.
PayPal can be quite finicky.

*Edit*
"Dear Ryan,

Thank you for purchasing our software.

You should have received your license code already four days ago by email from our license code server (registrations@devon-technologies.com), one email for each application you have purchased, including information about how to enter them.

If, by whatever chance, you are still waiting for one or multiple license codes, please visit the following page to get your license codes resent to you again:"

Just got this in my inbox, first thing that I've gotten related to MacHeist Bundle (besides a PayPal reciept).  The only problem was that I never recieved a DevonThink license email.  I clicked on the resend link and went through that.

I'm there like Shareware
-Teen Girl Squad

December 12, 2006 11:28 pm
amfr

amfr

Big Game Hunter

543 posts

No, they won't be avaiable in our loot (at least, mine aren't)

December 12, 2006 11:30 pm
alhooter

alhooter

Tinkerer

44 posts

I wonder what the bonus app will be.

December 13, 2006 3:24 am
MacHeist Forums » Support Desk » For early customers who experienced issues

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?