Forums

Heist 5 is up **SPOILERS**

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Heist 5 is up **SPOILERS**
CaptainZap

CaptainZap

Urchin

6 posts

How long does it take to get the email??

Macs rule.

December 9, 2006 4:37 am

imacgod

Tinkerer

12 posts

Hint: The code is the same as the name of a song by Rush.

No amazon for me...

December 9, 2006 4:40 am
iLori

iLori

Automaton Tech

from Cascades
251 posts

Nvm, I finally got it.  Still a little to green on macs I guess.  Never should have waited so long.

Parenthood is like being pecked to death by a duck

December 9, 2006 4:45 am

cactusjack901

Gearhead

85 posts

imacgod wrote:

a whole album...and you just repeated my hint, lol

December 9, 2006 4:48 am

consumer_q

Tinkerer

20 posts

To get to the ftp server, copy/paste the address into an ftp programme, or into a web broswer, but before hitting send, delete the image portion.
so the use ftp://82.165.156.231/

Safari did not work too well as an ftp browser (not all files shown), but firefox works surprisingly well.
cheers!

December 9, 2006 4:59 am
majicman10211

majicman10211

Automaton Tech

from Pittsburgh, PA
154 posts

Haha, sweet, my topic was pinned! big_smile

MacHeist is sweet.  Period.

December 9, 2006 5:07 am

cyannah

Urchin

4 posts

thanks, cactusjack901!
for saving a wretch like me.
(i was lost,
but now i'm found)

December 9, 2006 5:47 am

cyannah

Urchin

4 posts

RE: the app prizes...
they're very nice and i don't want to kick a gift horse,
but, well,
are MacHeist, MacZOT, MacUpdate Promo
and MacAppADay all in bed with each other
(so to speak)?

December 9, 2006 5:52 am
iFrank

iFrank

Tinkerer

32 posts

For those simply looking for the code: it's 2112.

[img]http://leomancini.net/other_images/logos/macheistVIP/dark.png[/img]

December 9, 2006 6:14 am

flowerMan

Urchin

6 posts

Wonderful heists and mini. Thanks, Macheist, this is great fun!

December 9, 2006 7:04 am
yenba32

yenba32

Tinkerer

from Nashville, TN
26 posts

cactusjack901 wrote:
imacgod wrote:

I had thought about this. I wonder if someone working on MacHeist is a Rush fan. I love 2112. I even have a 2112 t-shirt.

December 9, 2006 7:05 am
AliDar

AliDar

Gearhead

54 posts

phillryu wrote:
Strongblade wrote:
iNik wrote:

Nifty: If you go to hhttp://thelaststepsarethehardestonestotake.com/, you end up at a site to learn about Total Recall. I signed up, don't know if that's useful...

Anyhow, there's a missing image. Look at the source and FTP to the site containing that image. Look on the Desktop.

Apparently Lisa's been a bad girl...

I just got in there and there is no file in Desktop...

Has it been moved?

WTF?

Is anyone else getting this?

That's the same thing that happened to me. I got a Network globe icon in a three-D box on my desktop.

AliDar

Completed Mission #1, #1.5, #2, #2.5, #3, followed a white rabbit to a prize, sent a nasty email from Maczot, and (sniff) helped uncover a traitor in our midst!

December 9, 2006 9:06 am
blckleprd

blckleprd

Gearhead

72 posts

AliDar wrote:
phillryu wrote:
Strongblade wrote:

I just got in there and there is no file in Desktop...

Has it been moved?

WTF?

Is anyone else getting this?

That's the same thing that happened to me. I got a Network globe icon in a three-D box on my desktop.

AliDar

Try double clicking it to actually open up the server's files...

I met Hubert in the amazon.

December 9, 2006 3:46 pm

markfleser

Urchin

6 posts

A recap, all you have to do is submit the following text to the MacUpdate Tipline.  You enter your name and email and within a couple of minutes you'll recieve your code.

Lisa, instructions here. If you have questions, email me, brian@maczot.com.

1.  Create a believable developer persona over the week. It must be convincing enough to fool MacUpdate into believing he or she is real.

2.  Somehow convince them to implicate themselves with involvment. Not sure how yet, but perhaps a fabricated heist puzzle might do the trick.

3.  You must convince the directorate of MacUpdate's plans to sabotage MacZOT with a spoofed email address. I am emailing you with instructions on how to do that.

4.  I have a programmer working on an app to "crack" the zot mailbox I have set up. I have instructed him to send this to you as soon as it's ready for delivery to the directorate, again through a spoofed MU email.

5.  If they are suspicious, do everything you can to convince them.

6.  DO NOT leave ANY evidence of your involvement or mine.

If these steps are accomplished as requested, you will be handsomely compensated, and of course your stake in iusethis.com should become more valuable as MacUpdate's name is smeared.

I'd like to thank you again for being so receptive to this plan... good luck, and keep me posted.

That's it.

December 9, 2006 4:05 pm
majicman10211

majicman10211

Automaton Tech

from Pittsburgh, PA
154 posts

The file is in the "Desktop" folder within that server guys.  C'mon now.

MacHeist is sweet.  Period.

December 9, 2006 6:34 pm
brianh431

brianh431

Automaton Tech

from Phoenix, AZ
147 posts

yenba32 wrote:
cactusjack901 wrote:
imacgod wrote:

I had thought about this. I wonder if someone working on MacHeist is a Rush fan. I love 2112. I even have a 2112 t-shirt.

Who isn't a Rush fan?

December 9, 2006 7:07 pm

cactusjack901

Gearhead

85 posts

yenba32 wrote:
cactusjack901 wrote:
imacgod wrote:

i just got into them recently, i knew about them my whole life, but never listened.. then i played Guitar Hero II...GH II has YYZ...i liked it....friend gave me his rush CDs  now they rank around Pink Floyd in my head (Pink Floyd is my favorite band)

December 9, 2006 7:07 pm

barnoz

Urchin

2 posts

Definitely the least enjoyable, poorly designed, ill-concived, badly executed, convoluted MacHeist with the least logical clues to date ("They're responsible for the fall of the Mac."????).

Let's hope it's not all downhill from here. Maybe the designers need to take some rest before the next one and to come up with different logical puzzles instead of repeating the same thing 8 times in a row (go to a web site, grab a puzzle piece).

Let's hope they aren't so eager to release what is obviously a poor rushed job.

2 out of 100.

December 10, 2006 7:35 am
oneill.bt

oneill.bt

Tinkerer

from Canada
37 posts

barnoz wrote:

Definitely the least enjoyable, poorly designed, ill-concived, badly executed, convoluted MacHeist with the least logical clues to date ("They're responsible for the fall of the Mac."????).

Let's hope it's not all downhill from here. Maybe the designers need to take some rest before the next one and to come up with different logical puzzles instead of repeating the same thing 8 times in a row (go to a web site, grab a puzzle piece).

2 out of 100.

ok...  somone's a baby

"The universe.  What a concept."  --  Eric Wareheim

December 10, 2006 7:56 am
Cassiel

Cassiel

Gearhead

from Germany
55 posts

"There was an error with your submission."
Great...

December 10, 2006 12:36 pm

TheLordsServant

Urchin

8 posts

I got the email 2 mins after I sent in the tip

December 10, 2006 2:37 pm
ajsedlak

ajsedlak

Tinkerer

from Pittsburgh
41 posts

Anyone else realize that the FTP server also contains a copy of Colloquy? I realize this isn't a prize, but maybe hint that we need IRC for the future. Or, like other times, there may be a clue in the app contents.

"There are two kinds of people: those who stop when they reach a wall, and those who start climbing." -Me, 1999
"What if I have a sledgehammer?" -Me, 2006

December 10, 2006 3:13 pm

consumer_q

Tinkerer

20 posts

[temporary threadjack]

"are MacHeist, MacZOT, MacUpdate Promo and MacAppADay all in bed with each other (so to speak)?"

To be honest, I was actually quite surprised to see MacUpdate playing along. This scenario was great; there probably is some truth that MacUpdate and Maczot 'fight' over the same applications to showcase for a day.
cheers to the two organizations being good sports!

December 10, 2006 3:23 pm
Nollid07

Nollid07

Automaton Tech

from Michigan
248 posts

barnoz wrote:

2 out of 100.

I give you a 2/100 wink  Seriously, I don't know what you're complaining about.  The backroom fixes all problems. smile

Sweet.

December 10, 2006 4:58 pm

yosoyelgerman

Urchin

1 posts

The code 2112 is not working for me...

December 10, 2006 5:56 pm

krisziel

Urchin

2 posts

i got the email from his with the password 2112 and it hasn't worked any of the 5 or 10 times i tried it.

December 10, 2006 6:11 pm

jpeeters

Urchin

1 posts

Cassiel wrote:

"There was an error with your submission."
Great...

I've got the same error. The site won't accept a '+' in my email address, but I am registered at macheist with this '+' in the address. I did try the code combination elsewhere in this thread and it worked...

December 10, 2006 6:26 pm

jjs810

Urchin

1 posts

Same problem... did the Heist, got the e-mail from MacUpdate, tried the code... stalls. What am I missing? I submitted the tip with the same e-mail address as I use here.

December 10, 2006 10:00 pm
Zoomrix

Zoomrix

Tinkerer

from USA
15 posts

I'm having the same problem. Got the email, but code won't work. Maybe the mini heist hasn't officially started yet since the vault is still open?

Zoomrix.com smile

December 10, 2006 10:49 pm
kancept

kancept

Urchin

from Ketchum, ID
6 posts

It just worked for me...

December 12, 2006 7:29 am

barnoz

Urchin

2 posts

Nollid07 wrote:

Seriously, I don't know what you're complaining about.

You asked and here is your answer:

Pointless clues that mean nothing and point to nowhere. An example of such is the clue "They're responsible for the fall of the Mac."

How on GOD's Earth is someone supposed to know who said that?

Using google yields 0 results for that quote. Are people supposed to come up with an answer out of thin air?

here's another one for you:

"GoVisitTheBoss.pdf" on the pagea software web site. Why isn't the boss = the boss of pangea. How is one supposed to know that "The Boss" refered to by the clue is the boss of a different sofware company altogether that isn't in any way related to pagea? Seems like it's completely arbitrary.

And if it's arbitrary, why isn't the answer Steve Jobs or Bill Gates or Bruce Springsteen for that matter?

Thirdly, it's rather redundant and poorly designed to have to do the same step (get a puzzle piece, go to a web site) 8 times in a row.

Once, sure. Twice, ok. But 8 times? it lacks imagination.

3 examples of poor concept and execution. I have more, but that should be enough to answer your question.

December 12, 2006 8:26 am

Tomovich

Urchin

8 posts

I just can't work this out... I got a text file (plan.txt) but what do I need to do now? Mail it to someone but to who and how?

December 12, 2006 10:01 am
Bonobo

Bonobo

Automaton Tech

from Lower Saxony, Germany
128 posts

December 12, 2006 5:52 pm

Tomovich

Urchin

8 posts

I already did but I can't find the address where I need to mail to.

December 12, 2006 7:13 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Heist 5 is up **SPOILERS**

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?