Forums

Google Talk Apps

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Google Talk Apps
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

I'm looking for a decent set of Google Talk apps. Right now on the Mac I'm using iChat, which works somewhat. On iOS I've tried Trillian and Verbs, and while both work to a point, I have some problems with all the solutions I've found so far. Here's what I need:

First, I need push notifications, regardless of whether or not the app is open or closed (Background is fine on the Mac of course, but the iOS versions need push).
Second, I need every location to ALWAYS have the whole conversation. This is tricky. The reason is that, for some reason, Google Talk chats always end up on one device. So if I have Verbs open on my iPhone and then open it on my iPad, the iPad version never receives any messages. Similarly, on the Mac, if I'm chatting in Gmail, iChat doesn't get the conversation. This is a HUGE problem since I'm very mobile and I need to be able to count on the entire conversation being everywhere. Trillian also had this problem.
Third, I need an app for both the iPhone and the iPad - no scaled apps. Different apps for each one are fine as long as they both sync with each other.

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

November 18, 2011 5:14 pm
nfreader

nfreader

Big Game Hunter

638 posts

I don't think Google (technically Jabber/XMPP) doesn't support whole conversations on every client. You're probably best off using Verbs to get notifications and sticking to the talk web client for actually chatting on your phone/desktop.

@nfreader | @nfreaderInaction is conspiracy. Report counter behaviour to the moderation team immediately. Cooperation with your moderation team permits full ration reward.

November 22, 2011 5:59 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

nfreader wrote:

I don't think Google (technically Jabber/XMPP) doesn't support whole conversations on every client. You're probably best off using Verbs to get notifications and sticking to the talk web client for actually chatting on your phone/desktop.

Speaking of which, unblock me.

Website | Twitter

November 22, 2011 10:39 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Google Talk Apps

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?