Forums

1 Password avilable in Mac App Store.

MacHeist Forums » Deals Around the Web » 1 Password avilable in Mac App Store.
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,768 posts

JPDyson wrote:

philoxoxy, your opinion strikes me as that of the minority - most people i know were aware

But that doesn't mean they shouldn't have sent out an email.

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

November 10, 2011 11:50 pm
choma

choma

Automaton Tech

from uk
496 posts

I didn't know, I didn't get an email... despite having 3 licences.

I've stopped visiting here because macHeist seems dead and finished.
So I'd no reason to stumble on to the info about 1Password, mines updating with minor fixes as normal.

I'm only here now after a long time out of curiosity, wondering if anything was going on.... which as usual isn't lol.

I used to love the Christmas giving tree etc.

Ah the good old days....

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜
Use my DROPBOX link and we both get an extra 250mb free!
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTYxNTMzNDk

November 14, 2011 2:14 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,184 posts

First of all, 1Password 3.8~ rocks, seriously.  I have always recommended it to any and everyone with a Mac, sale prices or not.

AgileBits has been great in providing quick turnarounds to issues and browser compatibility.

That being said, it seems like through the last full version number features have tended to go away over time.  The iPhone app used to switch to the browser and plug in the password for you - now you have to do it manually.  The bookmarklet is good but it has to be updated manually (who of you remembers to do that regularly?).  The plugin has broken working features quite a few times over the 3.x cycle (HTTP Auth still doesn't work).

Now because they inexplicably want to go App store only, they are "forced" to remove STILL MORE features and give us no other option.  Their support/updates/turnaround time will drop off dramatically.

I'm not impressed at all, and not likely to upgrade.  I don't see a better product in the future, with the path they're taking.

My opinion, FWIW.

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

November 14, 2011 4:06 pm
theonelikeme

theonelikeme

Gearhead

from India
96 posts

blue_fireball_eater wrote:

Just keep the non MAS version until 4.0 comes out. Then it might be worth upgrading, and it might not. Also, they often give away licenses at Thanksgiving.

not in MAS for sure.

November 14, 2011 4:46 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

JMarkevich wrote:

The plugin has broken working features quite a few times over the 3.x cycle (HTTP Auth still doesn't work).

The "plugin" is actually an "Extension" and Apple's API does not support HTTP Auth.

That said, a lot of your other points are valid. My only retort is that they haven't failed to impress me over the long run. Literally, the single feature I'm missing is HTTP Auth.

PM me | Twitter

November 14, 2011 5:33 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,184 posts

JPDyson wrote:
JMarkevich wrote:

The plugin has broken working features quite a few times over the 3.x cycle (HTTP Auth still doesn't work).

The "plugin" is actually an "Extension" and Apple's API does not support HTTP Auth.

That said, a lot of your other points are valid. My only retort is that they haven't failed to impress me over the long run. Literally, the single feature I'm missing is HTTP Auth.

Ok, to further clarify, the "extension" is an "Add-In" on Firefox.  And HTTP Auth doesn't work there either.  Nor on Chrome.

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

November 14, 2011 9:05 pm
Jo123

Jo123

Automaton Tech

310 posts

For me HTTP Auth is a dealbreaker. I regularly access cPanel sites and PHPmyAdmin secured by HTTP Auth and couldn't live without the autofill feature of the recent 1P versions.

Not upgrading as long as I can and will search for a replacement thereafter.

November 15, 2011 2:31 am
mil

mil

Sky Pirate

1,273 posts

kyd wrote:

1P is on sale at MAS for $24.99 again. I had hoped that Agile would match its earlier upgrade price of just under twenty bucks. I think that the companion iOS apps are also on sale.

And this time, 1P did send an email (unlike before the move to MAS when they dropped the bombshell of a move only on their forums and on twitter). Even I had hoped they'd drop it back to $19.99 temporarily to pacify the hundreds (if not thousands) of ruffled feathers caused by the previous communication disaster. But life goes on.

Update: It did seem tempting to grab it and get version 4.0, but considering the stability issues I've been having on Firefox for a long time now, I'm willing to wait until a stable 4.0 release comes along. There'd surely be a "sale" when (or soon after) 4.0 is released.

SpiderOak - get an additional 1GB space for free when you sign up from this link. I'm late to the SpiderOak referral party. big_smile

November 25, 2011 4:05 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,184 posts

ARGH! They did it again.  On the latest change log for 3.8.1:

- Changed: Removed deprecated "New Logins Bookmarklet" feature. Users of this feature are encouraged to use the iOS edition of 1Password or 1PasswordAnywhere.

Yeah so we can switch back and forth and copy and paste while juggling apps.  How convenient!  How about you just STOP REMOVING FEATURES?  At this rate the browser extensions aren't going to be in existence for long.

Agile as a company has gone from awesome to annoying with only a few severely stupid actions.  I'm not sure I'll even recommend 1Password anymore.  Time to investigate alternatives, I think.

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

December 2, 2011 1:33 pm
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

Moderator

from Nashville
2,757 posts

JMarkevich wrote:

Agile as a company has gone from awesome to annoying with only a few severely stupid actions.  I'm not sure I'll even recommend 1Password anymore.  Time to investigate alternatives, I think.

Annoying, indeed, but they haven't caused me any serious problems yet. I think many of my questions will be answered when v4 is revealed. This all seems to have started with them changing their name to AgileBits.

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

December 2, 2011 1:42 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

Meh. Never used it, and never launch the full app anymore because I can get all I need from the in-app extension menu.

PM me | Twitter

December 2, 2011 3:03 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,184 posts

JPDyson wrote:

Meh. Never used it, and never launch the full app anymore because I can get all I need from the in-app extension menu.

You do know this is talking about the iOS browser right?  You can click the bookmarklet and it pops up an overlay that lets you do much like the extension menu does on desktop.

They just want to sell the iOS version, I know, but I still want this feature even if I have the iOS version.

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

December 2, 2011 4:17 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

oh - i use the browser built into the app

PM me | Twitter

December 2, 2011 6:48 pm
Werty

Werty

Automaton Tech

172 posts

Today macZOT is selling mSecure Password Manager at 10$ (50% off), does this app do a similar job to 1password?

Dropbox Referral: get 2,25GB instead of 2GB for free.

If you find any English error in my posts, be so kind to let me know.
I'm not a native speaker and I'm still learning smile

December 10, 2011 9:19 am
johnmasters

johnmasters

Gearhead

from Surrey UK
91 posts

Werty wrote:

Today macZOT is selling mSecure Password Manager at 10$ (50% off), does this app do a similar job to 1password?

Similar but not quite the same. Lacks the Go and Fill of 1Password but has unlimited record types with unlimited fields which you can customize. Bit of a fiddle to get my 1Password data in; had to export to tab delimited file, change tabs to commas and then add fields that are defaults on every record. On the whole though I like it. There are Windows, iPhone and Android versions. Easy sync via Dropbox.

At this price it's worth it.

I didn't go to university. Didn't even finish A-levels. But I have sympathy
for those who did.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

December 11, 2011 11:36 am
3styler

3styler

Automaton Tech

327 posts

IMO The only real & worthy alternative to 1P is LastPass. I started using it before I had a Mac and continue to use it in conjunction with 1P even today. I find its password generator and auto login superior but prefer the mobile apps for 1P so maintain both.

Active Bundles: None - Sad Panda Face

December 11, 2011 1:35 pm
mil

mil

Sky Pirate

1,273 posts

Storing sensitive password data on someone else's servers always seems less comforting than storing it on one's computer (even if the security of one's computer may not be as good).

SpiderOak - get an additional 1GB space for free when you sign up from this link. I'm late to the SpiderOak referral party. big_smile

December 20, 2011 8:52 am
raizamn

raizamn

Tinkerer

from The end of the road
36 posts

I'm not following the whole thing, but what I take it is that AgileBits will only offer 1Password v 4.0 from Mac AppStore. From what I can see they still promote the non-MAS version. They're having a 40% off sale now on both their store and the MAS. I'm not seeing any notice about no v4 for non-MAS version though.

to be or not to be, somebody said that, somewhere
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 22, 2011 9:16 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,184 posts

raizamn wrote:

I'm not following the whole thing, but what I take it is that AgileBits will only offer 1Password v 4.0 from Mac AppStore. From what I can see they still promote the non-MAS version. They're having a 40% off sale now on both their store and the MAS. I'm not seeing any notice about no v4 for non-MAS version though.

I know, it seems kinda rotten to offer their product from their own store when they're going to axe it soon, according to all reports.

Something happened to Agile over the last year, and I don't like it.

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

December 23, 2011 1:23 pm
mil

mil

Sky Pirate

1,273 posts

JMarkevich wrote:

I know, it seems kinda rotten to offer their product from their own store when they're going to axe it soon, according to all reports.

Something happened to Agile over the last year, and I don't like it.

They got lost in the intoxication of success and they can't be convinced that they've lost their way. smile

"Nice people + a lot of success = $hit hits the fan and nobody realizes"

SpiderOak - get an additional 1GB space for free when you sign up from this link. I'm late to the SpiderOak referral party. big_smile

December 24, 2011 6:21 am
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

Moderator

from Nashville
2,757 posts

Did they have a change of management? This all seemed to start when they changed their name to Agilebits.

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

December 26, 2011 7:07 pm
LaurentR

LaurentR

Sky Pirate

from Paris / France
1,631 posts

JMarkevich wrote:
raizamn wrote:

I'm not following the whole thing, but what I take it is that AgileBits will only offer 1Password v 4.0 from Mac AppStore. From what I can see they still promote the non-MAS version. They're having a 40% off sale now on both their store and the MAS. I'm not seeing any notice about no v4 for non-MAS version though.

I know, it seems kinda rotten to offer their product from their own store when they're going to axe it soon, according to all reports.

Something happened to Agile over the last year, and I don't like it.

Sorry , but my english is not so good smile What do you mean by "they're going to axe it soon" ? Are they going to stop 1password ?

Twitter
Get your Dropbox smile

December 26, 2011 7:16 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,184 posts

LaurentR wrote:
JMarkevich wrote:
raizamn wrote:

I'm not following the whole thing, but what I take it is that AgileBits will only offer 1Password v 4.0 from Mac AppStore. From what I can see they still promote the non-MAS version. They're having a 40% off sale now on both their store and the MAS. I'm not seeing any notice about no v4 for non-MAS version though.

I know, it seems kinda rotten to offer their product from their own store when they're going to axe it soon, according to all reports.

Something happened to Agile over the last year, and I don't like it.

Sorry , but my english is not so good smile What do you mean by "they're going to axe it soon" ? Are they going to stop 1password ?

The one that's sold from their site (not the Mac App Store) is not going to be upgraded to v4.0.  They make no indication on the site that there's any difference between MAS and their hosted version.

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

December 27, 2011 3:34 pm
mil

mil

Sky Pirate

1,273 posts

JMarkevich wrote:

The one that's sold from their site (not the Mac App Store) is not going to be upgraded to v4.0.  They make no indication on the site that there's any difference between MAS and their hosted version.

Why do developers with good products go insane the moment they start working on getting their apps out in MAS? MAS is the common thread across developers who were supposedly nice but turned out to be otherwise (after they put their apps on MAS). I'm not suggesting that MAS is the cause of this mess, but it seems to be motivating the "dark side" for some well known developers.

SpiderOak - get an additional 1GB space for free when you sign up from this link. I'm late to the SpiderOak referral party. big_smile

December 29, 2011 11:29 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

...or, some people are incredibly uncomfortable with change, and are quick to throw the baby out with the bathwater just because they're a little itchy.

Sheesh.

PM me | Twitter

December 29, 2011 2:02 pm
Jo123

Jo123

Automaton Tech

310 posts

A viable 1PW replacement around the corner?

Came across Dashlane the other day.

Safari isn't supported yet (but will be soon) and it still has some quirks. I'll keep an eye on it though.

January 5, 2012 10:52 am
mil

mil

Sky Pirate

1,273 posts

Jo123 wrote:

A viable 1PW replacement around the corner?

Came across Dashlane the other day.

Safari isn't supported yet (but will be soon) and it still has some quirks. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Alternatives are always good. I'll be checking it out shortly.

SpiderOak - get an additional 1GB space for free when you sign up from this link. I'm late to the SpiderOak referral party. big_smile

January 15, 2012 5:50 pm
mil

mil

Sky Pirate

1,273 posts

Now that the "free uprgade to 1Password 4" is finally nearing completion (though it's still several months away), how do all the people who were on 3.8 but paid for 3.9 from MAS feel? With the two year gap to get closer to 1Password 4, we now find out that 1Password 4 needs OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

Meanwhile, AgileBits has provided 50% off discounts at least a few times over these two years.

I'm stuck on OS X 10.7 Lion for some more time due to hardware restrictions, and I'm glad I stuck with 1Password 3.8 and didn't pay up for 3.9 (or the then mythical 4.0) in advance (that would have been like throwing money away with no immediate benefit).

One lesson I see personally - if you're someone who does not upgrade hardware every couple of years, don't spend money on some promised future software upgrade, because you may not be able to use it when it finally arrives.

You may not see the new system requirement as an issue though. The Apple hardware world and the OS X world do change fast, leaving behind users who don't move at the same pace.

SpiderOak - get an additional 1GB space for free when you sign up from this link. I'm late to the SpiderOak referral party. big_smile

June 21, 2013 5:06 am
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

Moderator

from Nashville
2,757 posts

I am looking forward to the beta and then the final app. Fortunately, there is nothing keeping me from upgrading to 10.9, and I am really looking forward to it due to the much-improved dual monitor support. As usual, I think the upgrade policy from Agilebits is quite generous. This is good, considering how much the app costs in the first place.

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

June 21, 2013 12:43 pm
mikeyfindlay

mikeyfindlay

Sky Pirate

from Northern California
1,091 posts

mil wrote:

With the two year gap to get closer to 1Password 4, we now find out that 1Password 4 needs OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or OS X 10.9 Mavericks.
...
I'm stuck on OS X 10.7 Lion for some more time due to hardware restrictions...
...
One lesson I see personally - if you're someone who does not upgrade hardware every couple of years, don't spend money on some promised future software upgrade, because you may not be able to use it when it finally arrives.

You may not see the new system requirement as an issue though. The Apple hardware world and the OS X world do change fast, leaving behind users who don't move at the same pace.

I think system requirements became more of a concern when Apple made the switch from PowerPC to Intel computers, but I doubt compatibility will be as much of an issue now that everything is strictly Intel.

However, if your Mac can't handle anything beyond OS X 10.7, then you're likely using a Mac that is more than 4-5 years old. Developers can't innovate and make things better if they hold themselves back by focusing so much effort into keeping software compatible with out of date hardware.

Plus, with Apple computers having the good resell value that they do, and many outlets available for buying newer, refurbished Macs at lower costs, I don't give much credence to the argument that a newer Mac is unattainable.

MFVISUALS.COM | LAST HONEST TECH BLOG
Gear: 15" MacBook Pro 2012, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Nano 6G

June 30, 2013 8:04 pm
MacHeist Forums » Deals Around the Web » 1 Password avilable in Mac App Store.

Become an agent



Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)


As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

 

Login to MacHeist



As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?