Forums

MailSteward - Now there's free version

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » MailSteward - Now there's free version
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

Listening to Surfbit's MacReviewCast podcast today I find that there's now a free version of MailSteward available, restricted to 15,000 archived emails.

This is plenty enough for me to give it a good tryout, but one aspect I'm too not sure about I'm hoping someone here may know...

Do I need to leave MailSteward running (complete with icon in the dock) in order for scheduled backups to occur?  or is there some kind of Cron trigger or similar that will fire up the MailSteward to do a backup?

Thanks,

Mark.

July 29, 2009 8:13 pm
gemmes

gemmes

Big Game Hunter

665 posts

Thanks for the info. smile

I was looking at EagleFiler and MailSteward recently but was unsure if it was necessary to buy either nevermind which was best. The 15,000 free version will do for me.

FREE Dropbox Storage Use link for EXTRA space for you and me. big_smile
15.4" 2.5GHz 4GB MacBook Pro, 32GB iPhone 3GS

July 29, 2009 8:43 pm
tech

tech

Sky Pirate

from Rantoul, Illinois
1,516 posts

It's been awhile since I've looked at it but I'm wanting to think there was some sort of cron trigger.  Surely someone here can say one way or another with a bit more confidence though.

<insert out-dated referral link here>

July 29, 2009 8:55 pm
lambolover242

lambolover242

Sky Pirate

from 0800-00
1,068 posts

Bloody Hell... 15000 will do pretty well for me!

*Realises*

Damn! I already bought it..

*Whacks self on head wink*

Oh well lol

Is this really worth the trouble.

July 30, 2009 8:26 am

ayodh14

Automaton Tech

105 posts

Even though I would love to buy the app, the 50$ price tag is too high for me. I could manage with the new 15000 limit, but would still love to contribute to the development.

July 30, 2009 9:10 am
Dewtain

Dewtain

Big Game Hunter

from The Netherlands
517 posts

That's good news. Going to give it a try.

I wonder which team I'm on...
Oh, I'm on the blue team smile.

July 30, 2009 11:17 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

Glad to point people in the right direction, like I said before it was Surfbits who put me on to it... 

Can anyone confirm whether the app needs to be open and on the dock for a scheduled backup to occur?

Thanks,

Mark.

July 30, 2009 9:29 pm
gemmes

gemmes

Big Game Hunter

665 posts

BigMark wrote:

Can anyone confirm whether the app needs to be open and on the dock for a scheduled backup to occur?

My archive file has been modified this morning and I have not used MS since yesterday. I also opened the app just now and this mornings emails are all there.

July 31, 2009 5:45 pm
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

gemmes wrote:

My archive file has been modified this morning and I have not used MS since yesterday. I also opened the app just now and this mornings emails are all there.

Good to know, thanks.

I'm liking this a lot and whilst the 15,000 email capacity of the free version is plenty for me right now I think that if I stick with it I may buy it anyway to support the developer.

Mark.

July 31, 2009 6:09 pm
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

Now there's a 50% off promo (Standard & the Pro versions) of MailSteward via themacbundles website.

Even though 15,000 mails is plenty for me this is something I'm going to buy to support the developer smile.

August 3, 2009 4:21 pm
gemmes

gemmes

Big Game Hunter

665 posts

At first I thought MailSteward Pro was part of their bundle then I woke up. sad

I will probably buy one of these. Im gonna wait and see how the PMC bundle goes first, so hoping it starts this week.

August 3, 2009 5:06 pm
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

gemmes wrote:

At first I thought MailSteward Pro was part of their bundle then I woke up. sad

I will probably buy one of these. Im gonna wait and see how the PMC bundle goes first, so hoping it starts this week.

Mail Steward Pro is overkill for my needs, I don't want the complexity of having to have MySQL server installed in order to run it.

I've bought the standard version and annoyingly got charged 15% VAT (UK sales tax) despite the amount being under the £18 VAT free limit imports threshold.

£18.02 total cost, still a bargain smile

Mark.

August 3, 2009 5:26 pm

Andrew304

Urchin

1 posts

why are you just concerned about just archiving when you can actually back them up as well with archiving. Try MailBackupX

December 23, 2017 10:59 am
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » MailSteward - Now there's free version

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?