MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » theAmazon Downtime
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

amfr wrote:

The sites down for me.
If you need hosting, I would be happy to provide it for free.

It's off and on all the time.  Just get used to it.

Website | Twitter

April 4, 2007 9:55 am
onerythym

onerythym

Big Game Hunter

from SF
994 posts

Warbrain wrote:
amfr wrote:

The sites down for me.
If you need hosting, I would be happy to provide it for free.

It's off and on all the time.  Just get used to it.

plus every time the site is down they get to make an announcement (or two)  and then announce the site coming back up.  those guys love announcements!  i think downtime gives em something to do.

Green Team 4Lyfe

April 4, 2007 11:33 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Not only that - they keep telling you to do all kinds of weird DNS tricks to get to their site, as if somehow the fault for their site not working lies with *you*, not them.

"Just use OpenDNS!" They say again and again...never mind the fact that OpenDNS may not work for all people (it won't work on my university network).

And yes, before you use the classic "They're giving you free software! You've no right to complain!"-schtick, I'll say that if there's no point to people being interested if they can't get their act together and actually make the experience for the user as easy as possible. And all of that drama with the iHeist people isn't helping.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

April 5, 2007 2:16 am
getthebiggem

getthebiggem

Automaton Tech

from Duluth, MN
251 posts

theAmazon, for myself, worked fine with my PC's IE...but I had to do the open DNS crap to my Macs. So what did they do to their site that made it so you couldn't get it on some computers?

It's sad how theAmazon is slowly falling apart.
I thought Phill died...
Avatar comps. of Leo Mancini (leomancini.net).

April 5, 2007 4:30 am
Chad

Chad

Automaton Tech

from Edmonton, Canada
143 posts

OK, in response to the last few posts -

1. Would you rather have a group that never posts on their progress to getting back up and running?  We're trying our hardest to keep stable.

2.  The iHeist drama is over, and it wasn't caused in any way by anyone that is presently part of theAmazon Group.

3.  Yes, we are having DNS troubles, but they should be ironing themselves out slowly.  It is out of our control.  It is in the hands of the DNS servers all around the world.

Directed at onerythym:  I find your signature very offensive.  If you don't like us, keep it to yourself, because that is very immature.

Directed at amfr:  Thanks for the offer, but we have our own server to tend to. wink

Chad Ohman  )

Like WordPress? You'll like this better.

April 11, 2007 6:25 am
kickfliperjo

kickfliperjo

Sky Pirate

1,140 posts

Chad wrote:

Directed at onerythym:  I find your signature very offensive.  If you don't like us, keep it to yourself, because that is very immature.

his signature is not referring to The Amazon Group.
(i think so)

April 11, 2007 11:38 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Chad wrote:

OK, in response to the last few posts -

1. Would you rather have a group that never posts on their progress to getting back up and running?  We're trying our hardest to keep stable.

2.  The iHeist drama is over, and it wasn't caused in any way by anyone that is presently part of theAmazon Group.

3.  Yes, we are having DNS troubles, but they should be ironing themselves out slowly.  It is out of our control.  It is in the hands of the DNS servers all around the world.

Directed at amfr:  Thanks for the offer, but we have our own server to tend to. wink

Well, I did get my AppZapper license barely a day after I snagged it off the store, so I guess it all evens out... smile

Marathon Forever.

April 11, 2007 11:48 am
shadownight

shadownight

Sky Pirate

from Montreal, Canada
1,567 posts

Chad wrote:

Is it even directed to you guys? It may be a zombie Amazon slogan from the days when the Amazon was the big great idea from the *select* VIP group.

Back on my two feet

April 11, 2007 11:29 pm
Apcs11

Apcs11

Dirigible Captain

from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
2,577 posts

shadownight wrote:
Chad wrote:

Is it even directed to you guys? It may be a zombie Amazon slogan from the days when the Amazon was the big great idea from the *select* VIP group.

Or he could hate Al Gore and the environment.

Han shot first.

April 12, 2007 12:23 am
abramgornik

abramgornik

Big Game Hunter

from Big Island of Hawaii
603 posts

Yay for theAmazon! it works for me, anyway

"If the pen is mightier than the sword, than the keyboard is a friggin lightsaber!"
"Computer are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open windows."
Thats an undead warlock if you're wondering.

April 12, 2007 4:54 am
onerythym

onerythym

Big Game Hunter

from SF
994 posts

shadownight wrote:
Chad wrote:

You guys are right.  The amazon "vip" situation that got out of control.  We all put on amazon badges, and made up a fake heist.  People got upset, and caused an upset.  But you know that Chad, dont you?

Chad sorry you feel slighted but it has nothing to do with you.  For your information, Chad, I made the original whatistheamazon.com site.  The very first version, with the ugly green background and hubert obscured by foliage.  Hidden bananas all over with random links to confuse...

The site was not finished, but there were too many people working in "the amazon" project.  The site was leaked to this forum, before it was finished.  People got angry.  I even received nasty emails on my personal addresses.

A member even lied and claimed he had spoken with Phill who was having me banned.  Long story short, it was very intense, and unwanted drama.

People were extremely upset about "the amazon" the badges, and so on.  Most of us, removed the badges from our signatures.  In fact, the IMG tags were disabled because of this. 

I never changed my signature from that time.  I removed myself from that "vip group" and life goes on.

I never felt the need to explain myself to you or anyone else.  **Everyone that is an active member of this site should know the situation.**

Chad, calling me immature is ignorant.  Please be informed before you speak.  Thank you.

(and thanks to everyone in my defense, I appreciate the support)

Green Team 4Lyfe

April 12, 2007 2:12 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Judging from his post count, I don't think Chad was around the forums when the VIP Forum and "theAmazon" got out of hand (of course, he might have been lurking or he probably just doesn't remember).

I certainly do remember when that happened - I was one of the original group of people who found themselves with a VIP link on their forum page. I'd chalk it up to Chad's innocent lack of knowledge more than actual malice. That being said, I thought it was good of you and the others who stood up to the asinine jokes that the others were playing on the rest of the forums.

Marathon Forever.

April 12, 2007 7:50 pm
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

That was nutso back then.  Funny how it all worked out though - nicely done by the Directorate.

Whistle while you work.  Patience is key.

April 12, 2007 8:47 pm

alej744

Sky Pirate

from Miami
1,813 posts

Yes, very sneaky. But I still don't understand how the directorate predicted that Leo Mancini would give us all some badges. Did they hire him?

April 12, 2007 9:06 pm
shadownight

shadownight

Sky Pirate

from Montreal, Canada
1,567 posts

And it happened in one day, from its birth to its downfall... that was wild... Serious forum drama.

Back on my two feet

April 12, 2007 9:13 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

If find it remarkable how the forums survived. I've seen whole message boards, admin positions, and entire friendships go down in flames over less that what theAmazon was all about.

Marathon Forever.

April 13, 2007 12:37 am
AriX

AriX

Automaton Tech

from Pennsylvania
213 posts

rampancy wrote:

Judging from his post count, I don't think Chad was around the forums when the VIP Forum and "theAmazon" got out of hand (of course, he might have been lurking or he probably just doesn't remember).

I certainly do remember when that happened - I was one of the original group of people who found themselves with a VIP link on their forum page. I'd chalk it up to Chad's innocent lack of knowledge more than actual malice. That being said, I thought it was good of you and the others who stood up to the asinine jokes that the others were playing on the rest of the forums.

I remember that - I was a lurker until then. After that I spent all my time helping to organize The Good Amazon effort which, you are right, Chad was not a part of.

But anyway, back to the server concerns, Chad, I think you should at least try to get the DNS servers up because any computer using Comcast in my area without OpenDNS can not access any of theAmazon's domains.

Proud member of the Orange team!
Let's go into theAmazon. tongue

April 13, 2007 11:21 am
Chad

Chad

Automaton Tech

from Edmonton, Canada
143 posts

I can't do anything to fix that, I've done all I can, AriX.

To the rest of you:  Look, here's the deal.  Before you go ranting on about me, I was around during the time, but I never really participated.  I decided to partake after onerythym's time.  I do not know the history of theAmazon before me!  No one has every told me.  I've been here since I got my invite right at the beginning of MacHeist, so don't judge someone by their post count: it means nothing.  Because guess what?  Maybe some people don't find it in their best interest to post their lives away and reach 1000 posts and feel that you've missed out on so much.  I'm not trying to be rude, it's just my point of view.  I post where I feel it is necessary, not where I feel like it.

I suppose that theAmazon took a sharp curve when this happened, and that happened to be the time I joined in theAmazon effort.  It's made my name look very bad in some places, and sometimes, I do regret starting.  I've had good times there, too, don't get me wrong, but it's all coming to an end.  A very unexpected unfriendly ending.  Not an ending we all planned.

I was uninformed about the histories of theAmazon, and for that case, I publicly apologize to onerythym.  I think I've ran my course here at MacHeist, and I've really ruined it for myself.  I congratulate the crew behind MacHeist for such a success, I know how hard it is to do this sort of thing.

If you still feel you've missed out of some details of my story there, or missing some details, do not hesitate to email me: chad@chadohman.com.  When I get my blog finished, I will be posting a rather large essay on my time at theAmazon, the good and the bad, down to every detail.  I won't be singling out anyone, nor will I be leaving anyone out.

Thanks

Chad Ohman  )

Like WordPress? You'll like this better.

May 2, 2007 5:38 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Hey, just calm down, okay? No one's harping on you because you didn't know about the nastiness that came out of the VIP forums. I made that remark about post counts because it was the only indicator I had that you might not have been an active member when the original version of theAmazon had been planned. I don't think you're any more or less a member because someone like Warbrain has 1000+ posts and you don't.

Marathon Forever.

May 2, 2007 6:17 am
mdmunoz

mdmunoz

Big Game Hunter

642 posts

I don't recall any nastiness. I remember a bunch of VIP people getting remorseful over confusing members, even though nobody was really taking notice, and then making long-winded apologies that were met with a collective "...wtf?" from the rest of the forum.

May 2, 2007 8:36 am
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

mdmunoz wrote:

I don't recall any nastiness. I remember a bunch of VIP people getting remorseful over confusing members, even though nobody was really taking notice, and then making long-winded apologies that were met with a collective "...wtf?" from the rest of the forum.

Heh - fun to hear both points of view.  An old rule:
"People don't think about you nearly as much as you think they do."  They're worrying about themselves, just like you're worrying about yourself. 

In this case, the VIP realized they'd started something that wasn't a very good idea, and in the age of internet / transparency / immediacy they took steps to immediately recover their reputations and stop any "damage" that was done.  Of course, not that many people (that I could tell) really had gotten involved anyway, so the "recovery" caused as much of a kerfluffle as the original attempt at confusion.  Then the whole thing turned into a launching pad for the next (real) Heist! 

Ah, good times, good times . . .  big_smile

May 2, 2007 2:54 pm
shadownight

shadownight

Sky Pirate

from Montreal, Canada
1,567 posts

Hey Chad, no need to feel attacked or anything... I don't think anyone here holds a grudge against you, and we certainly don't think high post counts or early registration give certain users a special statue. Dvokalak's reg number, for example, is in the 20 thousands and he's an active member.

Back on my two feet

May 2, 2007 9:53 pm
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

shadownight wrote:

Hey Chad, no need to feel attacked or anything... I don't think anyone here holds a grudge against you, and we certainly don't think high post counts or early registration give certain users a special statue. Dvokalak's reg number, for example, is in the 20 thousands and he's an active member.

Seconded.  I had a very low post count (<20 I think) until about a month ago.

May 2, 2007 10:16 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » theAmazon Downtime

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?