Forums

A tad overboard (aka, the malcor apology thread)

MacHeist Forums » The Front » A tad overboard (aka, the malcor apology thread)
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

RAH RAH RAH!!!

GO TEAM!!

Truly memorable.

Website | Twitter

November 28, 2007 10:08 pm
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

Nice..

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

November 28, 2007 10:09 pm
alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

Big Game Hunter

from The Dark Side of Oz
615 posts

lol

Twitter | Flickr
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

November 28, 2007 10:18 pm
shadownight

shadownight

Sky Pirate

from Montreal, Canada
1,567 posts

Isn't this was MacHeist is all about, controversy? tongue Everyone had good intentions, so I guess all is good now.

Back on my two feet

November 28, 2007 10:37 pm
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

November 28, 2007 10:51 pm

jetuserx

Tinkerer

11 posts

someone on irc is giving me the same problem too, maybe its mh2 starting up, i also noticed the rss feed is down

November 28, 2007 10:53 pm
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

Yeah thats the same person. I was just screen sharing with him and it's really weird.

the greatest blog known to mankind / twitter / flickr

November 28, 2007 10:58 pm
AriX

AriX

Automaton Tech

from Pennsylvania
213 posts

OK, this is totally bizarre. I tried the site again and it works perfectly... I got home, it was down/messed, ~15 mins later it comes back up... I'm not pretending! I was, however, able to access MacHeist by going to anypossiblesubdomain.macheist.com (which you can still do now)

Proud member of the Orange team!
Let's go into theAmazon. tongue

November 28, 2007 11:04 pm

jetuserx

Tinkerer

11 posts

the feed is still down at any rate, it was up the other day when i randomly checked

November 28, 2007 11:06 pm
nfreader

nfreader

Big Game Hunter

638 posts

I accept the apology and I look forward to MH2 starting soon. Viral stuff like this doesn't work out all the time, no worries. Everyone should just move on with their lives and forget about this.

@nfreader | @nfreaderInaction is conspiracy. Report counter behaviour to the moderation team immediately. Cooperation with your moderation team permits full ration reward.

November 28, 2007 11:19 pm
Maulsel

Maulsel

from New York
254 posts

The RSS feed still works for me!

feed://macheist.com/rss.xml

November 28, 2007 11:22 pm

austintheheller

Urchin

5 posts

scottm wrote:
bjames wrote:

Yeah, cool for the CMS systems and hosting companies that get the random black eye for months or years with the left over "site hacked using WordPress on this hosting company... down for 24 hours!"  Great PR for the CMS systems and hosting companies for sure!  This does not impact the sites that took part, it impacts companies that did not take part!  Super move there...

Malcor never said he used any CMS/hosting company vulnerabilities to hack the sites.

So? Fact is, word got out that the two sites were powered by WordPress, and whether that was your guys' intentions or not, it ended up hurting WordPress's credibility; and possibly scaring away potential customers for MediaTemple.

November 29, 2007 12:19 am
mdmunoz

mdmunoz

Big Game Hunter

642 posts

austintheheller wrote:
scottm wrote:
bjames wrote:

Yeah, cool for the CMS systems and hosting companies that get the random black eye for months or years with the left over "site hacked using WordPress on this hosting company... down for 24 hours!"  Great PR for the CMS systems and hosting companies for sure!  This does not impact the sites that took part, it impacts companies that did not take part!  Super move there...

Malcor never said he used any CMS/hosting company vulnerabilities to hack the sites.

So? Fact is, word got out that the two sites were powered by WordPress, and whether that was your guys' intentions or not, it ended up hurting WordPress's credibility; and possibly scaring away potential customers for MediaTemple.

Wordpress hurts its own credibility by presenting digg users with nicely-formatted database error pages every day of the week and accidentally releasing unauthorized changes with their updates. I don't think this will have much of an effect.

November 29, 2007 1:12 am

jetuserx

Tinkerer

11 posts

Maulsel wrote:

The RSS feed still works for me!

feed://macheist.com/rss.xml

yes its working now, but it wasn't working for the duration the one user had a problem with the site

November 29, 2007 2:03 am
AriX

AriX

Automaton Tech

from Pennsylvania
213 posts

You can refer to me by my name tongue

November 29, 2007 2:29 am
Maulsel

Maulsel

from New York
254 posts

There is also the fact that there's technically two different RSS feeds: feed.xml, and rss.xml. I just remembered that now. I guess one of them went down, and the other didn't.

November 29, 2007 2:55 am

MacPhoenix

Urchin

1 posts

This type of action is childish by definition. For an adult, this is a sign of emotional defect that needs therapy.

This type of action is only used to provoke and it is in the same manner that hardcore PC users employ who defined the original denotation of a Hacker. As Macintosh users, it is hard to live in the world as it stands. The reactions that are felt are the same as racial prejudice. If you don't think that has any merit, just go to ANY "power user" forum and barely mention that you are a Mac user and you will feel the brunt of idiocy, FUD, & plain prejudice that the former two feeds into the latter.

As a person who has felt this first hand, try going to ITT Tech as a Mac person, I am beyond offended by this type of "stunt". I am not laughing. I am contemplating legal action. But since I have no money to do anything; other that live check to check, I will not peruse anything. This is a slap in the face of any and all Mac users who have any amount of pride in using a superior computer system. And it came from a fellow Mac user? That is NEVER forgivable. If my best friend slapped me across the face, hard enough to leave a hand-print, and told me that it was only a joke, I would never talk to that person again.

Now, I have taken out AppleMatters.com and am thinking about deleting any other site that is listed as a sponsor on this site. I may never add these sites back into my bookmarks.

As a man who has grown up with the growth of Apple from System 6, I am ashamed to have people associate the term "fanboy" with people who have a healthy obsession. For those who do take it too far, they should be dealt with on an individual basis.

I can understand if there are people who will read this and think that I am one of the "fanboy"s that I am talking about. But I don't go around being smug, talking down to others who don't have Apple products. I am not that stupid. There are plenty of other stupid people out there. Hmmmm, Paul Thurrott anyone? Dvorak??

November 29, 2007 5:34 am
mdmunoz

mdmunoz

Big Game Hunter

642 posts

MacPhoenix wrote:

As Macintosh users, it is hard to live in the world as it stands. The reactions that are felt are the same as racial prejudice.

You say you aren't smug, but comparing anti-Mac sentiment racism? You have the worst case of "Internet: Serious Business" I've ever seen.  I've looked long and hard for the stereotypical slobbering Mac fanboy; congratulations, you're it.

Please kill yourself and rid the Mac community of your idiocy.

November 29, 2007 6:04 am

austintheheller

Urchin

5 posts

mdmunoz wrote:
MacPhoenix wrote:

Please kill yourself and rid the Mac community of your idiocy.

Now that was out of line.

November 29, 2007 6:55 am
hoyaman

hoyaman

Big Game Hunter

from Houston, TX
940 posts

Mdmunoz is typically out of line.  But so am I, I suppose.

What's rather more appalling is the hubris of this stunt.  Hackers have taken down "Mac" sites before, and they've taken down much larger game, and done real damage.

Are these sites that taunted hackers safer than most?  probably.  Are they invulnerable? Technically impossible.

Were these sites, as Mac-centric as they are, hacker targets before? I doubt it.  Have these sites done a good job of getting real hackers' attention? yep.

Oh, and are the apologies sincere? No, clearly not.  If the apology were sincere, the title on this thread and the tone of comments by those involved would be different - a sense of humility might even be apparent.

But no, only hubris.  I propose that Hubert be replaced by Icarus as mascot of MacHeist. 

And I request clarification for all os us who bought the first bundle:  no personal information of ours is still in the hands of any MacHeist personnel, or in any databases, correct?

Mozy - backup to the cloud, restore when your computer bites the dust.
BBCODE snippets for TYPINATOR!
DROPBOX: GET 250MB extra FREE!

November 29, 2007 7:12 am
mdmunoz

mdmunoz

Big Game Hunter

642 posts

austintheheller wrote:

Now that was out of line.

Cry me a river. Even entertaining the idea of digg flamewars being equivalent to hundreds of years of oppression is disgusting. Some people should not use the internet, and if they need to be scared off of it, so be it.

hoyaman wrote:

Mdmunoz is typically out of line

Well good golly gosh.

hoyaman wrote:

Were these sites, as Mac-centric as they are, hacker targets before? I doubt it.  Have these sites done a good job of getting real hackers' attention? yep.

You're implying that hackers are now going to go on a Mac attack spree. Spare us the prophecies of doom unless you have, I dunno, proof of some kind.

November 29, 2007 8:32 am
Photo678

Photo678

Automaton Tech

from quaint little town in PA
332 posts

/me waves at everyone

November 29, 2007 9:18 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Ok, this thread has now squared itself in the darker territories of flaming so let's just either A) Walk away and forget it or B) Lock the thread.

Website | Twitter

November 29, 2007 12:38 pm
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

November 29, 2007 12:56 pm
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

Talk about people who can't take a joke....

November 29, 2007 12:59 pm
alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

Big Game Hunter

from The Dark Side of Oz
615 posts

i know!!!  it was funny!!!!  get your laugh on peoplz!!!!

Twitter | Flickr
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

November 29, 2007 1:25 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Hey, I was all the laughs!  Who started the vaporware cheer?

Website | Twitter

November 29, 2007 4:38 pm
mdmunoz

mdmunoz

Big Game Hunter

642 posts

If anything, I think it's funnier now.

November 29, 2007 6:52 pm
Maulsel

Maulsel

from New York
254 posts

Personally, I'd rather they bring malcor back and just add a "Notice: This blog is purely for entertainment purposes. None of the aforementioned sites are in any actual danger, and are affiliates of ours." or something at the bottom, since malcor WAS kind of a cool character.

But, alas, some people had to ruin the fun, so they're gonna completely remove him. This, of course, is gonna delay MacHeist 2, which I don't think ANY of us wanted to happen (seriously, we've been waiting all of November already)! I don't think they need to completely remove him, just... do something else that can keep him.

At any rate, some of these people need to get some humility. So, you went and optimized your code. Good for you! You should've done that in the first place. It's not WASTED time at all. It's time used on a very important thing. What REALLY scares me is that now that this has happened, and it's been revealed that he's a fake, a real mac fanboy-hater is going to actually do this kind of stuff. And then, how well will we be off?

But, I digress. I'm just hoping that they don't have to start an entirely new trailhead. That'll just keep us waiting even longer... (Actually, knowing these guys and their secrecy, I wouldn't be surprised if it's already started.)

November 29, 2007 8:05 pm
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

Yes, a big NOTICE would be nicer than waiting a week (or a month... or a year...).

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

November 29, 2007 9:46 pm
hoyaman

hoyaman

Big Game Hunter

from Houston, TX
940 posts

More than that, it's not entirely clear how denying the association with MacHeist was crucial to the character OR the heist.

If we didn't go after some rogue hacker type character in MH1, we did in iHeist or theAmazon.  Was it any less fun or humorous to solve the riddles and track the "hacker's" tracks?

naw.

It is funny when I forget to put emoticons on sentences and someone takes offense.  HEE-larious!!

Also, I am in no way a prophetic voice, unless the smallish probability I spoke of being larger than the nearly minimal probability that existed before comes to fruition.

THEN I'll accept your paypal money and read your future.

I promise.

Mozy - backup to the cloud, restore when your computer bites the dust.
BBCODE snippets for TYPINATOR!
DROPBOX: GET 250MB extra FREE!

November 30, 2007 9:22 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

spyker3292 wrote:

Yes, a big NOTICE would be nicer than waiting a week (or a month... or a year...).

Remember what happened with Heist 1 and Heist 6? It's not like communication is a strong point with the Directorate... tongue

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

November 30, 2007 2:36 pm
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

rampancy wrote:
spyker3292 wrote:

Remember what happened with Heist 1 and Heist 6? It's not like communication is a strong point with the Directorate... tongue

No, I joined a month or so late.

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

November 30, 2007 9:21 pm
stsuida

stsuida

Urchin

from Calgary
3 posts

I bet this "Hostage taker at Clinton's Office" stunt is all part of MH2.

November 30, 2007 9:35 pm
mdmunoz

mdmunoz

Big Game Hunter

642 posts

November 30, 2007 9:36 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Sweet. That's the most memorable thing Rixstep has done in a very long time.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

November 30, 2007 9:54 pm
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

rampancy wrote:

All the Rixstep "hate" is clues for the lead-in to mission 1 now. Get to solving, peeps. tongue

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

November 30, 2007 11:18 pm
nfreader

nfreader

Big Game Hunter

638 posts

johnred wrote:
rampancy wrote:

All the Rixstep "hate" is clues for the lead-in to mission 1 now. Get to solving, peeps. tongue

osnap

@nfreader | @nfreaderInaction is conspiracy. Report counter behaviour to the moderation team immediately. Cooperation with your moderation team permits full ration reward.

December 1, 2007 12:18 am
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

Wait a sec. What's Rixstep?

December 1, 2007 12:26 am
djmajickman

djmajickman

Tinkerer

from NoVa
46 posts

Am I missing something I don't see a new briefing?

DJMajickMan
                 Go Orange
                                 smile

December 1, 2007 12:32 am
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

OK, so the image is actually a text file.

http://myskitch.com/definetheline/20071130_00_00-20071130-193525.jpg

December 1, 2007 12:37 am
AriX

AriX

Automaton Tech

from Pennsylvania
213 posts

johnred wrote:
rampancy wrote:

Is this a joke or an actual heist? lol

December 1, 2007 12:43 am
AriX

AriX

Automaton Tech

from Pennsylvania
213 posts

definetheline wrote:

OK, so the image is actually a text file.

http://myskitch.com/definetheline/20071 … 193525.jpg

Actually, I don't think it's a text file, I think it's an image without an extension.

December 1, 2007 12:45 am

Chris24

Automaton Tech

from Waterloo, Canada
122 posts

f8c657883d4657b6541601d5111a3132 <--- Found in the code of http://rixstep.com/php.php (in the code of the page linked above...)

I don't know if its important.

December 1, 2007 12:45 am
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

f8c657883d4657b6541601d5111a3132

That was found in the source code of the page

December 1, 2007 12:46 am
Maulsel

Maulsel

from New York
254 posts

What the hell, guys? Seriously, if this is real, the Directorate are being a bunch of idiots: seriously, read what's on that page.

Aren't a large number of MacHeist users in their early teens (or even earlier? Several were 12 during MH1... and there will likely be new recruits yet)? And the cussing on this page? Definitely not appropriate for that age group.

Edit the page to remove that.

December 1, 2007 12:51 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Jesus... I WAS KIDDING!

Rixstep is insane!

Don't go to his site!

There are no clues there!

Go outside for the weekend while we get MH2 up!!! tongue

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

December 1, 2007 1:03 am
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

http://rixstep.com/php.php

Hit Cmd-A on that page. Pretty niffty...

December 1, 2007 1:05 am
Maulsel

Maulsel

from New York
254 posts

Okay. Thanks, at least.

Also, you know, when you say something like that, we tend to believe you. I think we need a [humor] or [sarcasm] tag. tongue

December 1, 2007 1:06 am
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

johnred wrote:

Jesus... I WAS KIDDING!

Rixstep is insane!

Don't go to his site!

There are no clues there!

Go outside for the weekend while we get MH2 up!!! tongue

Aww, you had to ruin our fun...

December 1, 2007 1:06 am
MacHeist Forums » The Front » A tad overboard (aka, the malcor apology thread)

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?