Forums

Double-crossed

plosfas@plosfas.com

plosfas@plosfas.com

Automaton Tech

from Canada
125 posts

definetheline wrote:

Macheist is driving me crazy...in a good way...

No kidding. This is crazy compared to last year.

December 13, 2007 5:31 am

applgeek

Tinkerer

20 posts

plosfas@plosfas.com wrote:
definetheline wrote:

Macheist is driving me crazy...in a good way...

No kidding. This is crazy compared to last year.

Last Year Was a warm-up. Now we're Going For the Beta Version of the real Deal.

December 13, 2007 5:34 am
HarryAKA

HarryAKA

Tinkerer

from Ohio
22 posts

I can't decide whether that Apple cube from Heist 1 means anything or not. I want it to, but it seems fishy... I hope it has something to do with the rubik's cube... maybe?

December 13, 2007 5:34 am
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

HarryAKA wrote:

I can't decide whether that Apple cube from Heist 1 means anything or not. I want it to, but it seems fishy... I hope it has something to do with the rubik's cube... maybe?

I think the cube at the safe is there for a reason.  However, like a previous post said,  I think the rubik's was a decoy.   I hate to say it but I think the hint by Ben Franklin about statues in the park was meant to throw them off.   "Trust Nobody"

Facebooks Emoticons Made Easy!

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

December 13, 2007 5:41 am
subpop

subpop

Tinkerer

24 posts

epifany wrote:

I wonder if the video that the anonymous figure took will turn up later?

Did anyone check YouTube?

December 13, 2007 5:41 am

applgeek

Tinkerer

20 posts

subpop wrote:
epifany wrote:

Yes. Did you?

December 13, 2007 5:44 am
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

Does anyone else notice a resemblance between Monique and Phil?  I wonder if she is his sister???

http://www.macheist.com/forums/img/avatars/50937.pnghttp://www.macheist.com/forums/img/avatars/3.png

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

December 13, 2007 5:44 am
subpop

subpop

Tinkerer

24 posts

applgeek wrote:
subpop wrote:
epifany wrote:

Yes. Did you?

Did I ever!  Nothing jumped out at me.

December 13, 2007 5:45 am
HarryAKA

HarryAKA

Tinkerer

from Ohio
22 posts

YouTube search is useless

December 13, 2007 5:47 am
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

One of the 5 guys that were their should of followed him after the drop.  I bet he was the  infiltrator.

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

December 13, 2007 6:12 am

applgeek

Tinkerer

20 posts

epifany wrote:

One of the 5 guys that were their should of followed him after the drop.  I bet he was the  infiltrator.

Sounds Great If You were a detective on an actual case, but just a note; Stocking is illegal and you probably wouldn't get anywhere except at the guys house, job, or in the slammer.

December 13, 2007 6:15 am
shvecht

shvecht

Tinkerer

from Israel
15 posts

well, i've tweaked the audio file through Amadeus Pro anyway i could. nothing came up
it's just several ticks.

December 13, 2007 6:20 am

applgeek

Tinkerer

20 posts

So are we officially Dead Yet or has everyone fallen asleep?

December 13, 2007 6:22 am
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

applgeek wrote:
epifany wrote:

Sounds Great If You were a detective on an actual case, but just a note; Stocking is illegal and you probably wouldn't get anywhere except at the guys house, job, or in the slammer.

Stalking and "following" are 2 different things.  Stalking is what weirdos do when they are obsessed.  Following or "trailing" is what you do at a distance to find out where someone is going.

And for an added bonus:  Stocking's are for Christmas. 

But I know this is just a game so no serious trailing would be necessary.  Just making some speculations.

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

December 13, 2007 6:23 am
subpop

subpop

Tinkerer

24 posts

People in IRC are still talking about solving the rubik's cube.  It kinda reminds me of:

Nerd Sniping
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/nerd_sniping.png

December 13, 2007 6:24 am
shvecht

shvecht

Tinkerer

from Israel
15 posts

maybe if they'll solve it, the words will rearrange them self into some kind of clue. but i've tried the possible anagrams, nothing interesting.

http : //wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=nice+work&t=1000

December 13, 2007 6:31 am
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

subpop wrote:

Nerd Sniping

LOL
I was in IRC the other night for 2 hours dissecting the left over "apple cube" from the safe. This was after the heist was closed.  I would of been roadkill for sure.

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

December 13, 2007 6:31 am
subpop

subpop

Tinkerer

24 posts

epifany wrote:
subpop wrote:

Nerd Sniping

LOL
I was in IRC the other night for 2 hours dissecting the left over "apple cube" from the safe. This was after the heist was closed.  I would of been roadkill for sure.

As would most of the macheist agents I'm sure.  This sort of an event is going to attract the inquisitively minded.

December 13, 2007 6:35 am
Miah

Miah

3,682 posts

It it a bittersweet day. On the one hand, I feel upset that nothing came of this, but on the other hand, the idea of a Mac[ro]Heist makes the fact that once we figure out what's going on, victory will be that much sweeter.

Also, I have a request from the men in philly. Surely you saw this person. Are you able to give a physical description?

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

December 13, 2007 7:06 am

unin5pired

Tinkerer

17 posts

epifany wrote:

We thought of that.  About 20 minutes after he left.  We thought to follow Ben after about 5.  Oops.  Next time we need some less trusting people to show up.

December 13, 2007 7:10 am

unin5pired

Tinkerer

17 posts

Miah wrote:

I have a request from the men in philly. Surely you saw this person. Are you able to give a physical description?

Someone (else) probably has video.  I hate to say it, but apple-nerds all kind of look the same to me.  ;-)

In all seriousness though, I'd recognize him if I saw him, but he did a great job of being unremarkable.  It took us nearly 45 minutes to realize he'd snuck off.

December 13, 2007 7:14 am
badams

badams

Gearhead

from Norman, OK
50 posts

Wow, I'm just now getting caught up. Computer was down for a couple days. So are we basically dead for the night?

"Millions of men have lived to fight, build palaces and boundaries, shape destinies and societies; but the compelling force of all times has been the force of originality and creation profoundly affecting the roots of human spirit." -Ansel Adams
Find me on: Twitter | Virb

December 13, 2007 7:23 am
incarnate

incarnate

Tinkerer

from New York NY
13 posts

wow yeah too bad no one thought to follow that guy. Imagine the story there

December 13, 2007 7:54 am

LG1982

Urchin

6 posts

Any security cameras in the area? Or at the Devon self storage? You probably won't get access to the public security camera footage, but with a good story (or letting them in on the heist) the Devon guys might let you see their footage. A case of beer wouldn't hurt either.

December 13, 2007 7:55 am
Spacespider

Spacespider

Tinkerer

from The Netherlands
18 posts

Anyone noticed the 'as I said before there are powerful people involved'? That's what the guy in the video said, right? So maby he is the 'anonymous source'?

Macheist team: Green Monkeys™

December 13, 2007 7:56 am
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

badams wrote:

Wow, I'm just now getting caught up. Computer was down for a couple days. So are we basically dead for the night?

yes

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

December 13, 2007 8:01 am
archipenko

archipenko

Big Game Hunter

767 posts

epifany wrote:

Does anyone else notice a resemblance between Monique and Phil?  I wonder if she is his sister???

http://www.macheist.com/forums/img/avatars/50937.pnghttp://www.macheist.com/forums/img/avatars/3.png

yarr... kinda...

rocks & socks

December 13, 2007 8:03 am
zelsyus

zelsyus

Gearhead

from de
81 posts

Me1000 wrote:

I did it!

im sorry!

Please forgive me!

What did you do?

December 13, 2007 8:49 am
awakebyjava

awakebyjava

Automaton Tech

from Outpost Gallifrey
234 posts

maybe monique is phill in a wig...

on another note, think about scientists from phillidelphia. umm, ben franklin? who else?

Don't legi con comm bility unica fuse with tion.

Twitter

December 13, 2007 10:33 am
zelsyus

zelsyus

Gearhead

from de
81 posts

awakebyjava wrote:

on another note, think about scientists from phillidelphia. umm, ben franklin? who else?

His son William ... ?

December 13, 2007 10:39 am
BrilliantOrange

BrilliantOrange

Gearhead

from Los Angeles
50 posts

Graveyard shift. All quiet. No Philadelphians in sight. Over and out.

Meow meow meow meow

December 13, 2007 10:51 am
marchhare

marchhare

Urchin

8 posts

So far, there are TWO "cubic" calling cards.  One a puzzling Mac and one a puzzle from the 80s

December 13, 2007 11:03 am
madalice

madalice

Tinkerer

23 posts

just throwing out speculation here, twice now he has mentioned "powerful people",  If you GIS "powerful people" a CNN money report comes up listing Steve Jobs as the #1 most powerful person in business. 
http : //money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/fortune/0711/gallery.power_25.fortune
I figure he's about the most powerful person that could be involved with MH.

and he is closely related to another cube - the NeXT cube.

I know it's a tangent, and I certainly do not want to start another "Jenny's phone number" type debate (sorry for that by the way.) but I figure its worth mentioning.

no comment

December 13, 2007 11:48 am

Automaton Tech

from lacolhost
115 posts

The Jobs theory sounds like something that might be interesting. Don't forget that before he went to computers he and Woz was involved in another box story, the blue boxes they sold to let people call long distance phone calls for free.

Did anyone see if the mysterious person looked like him, or perhaps like Woz?

#include <unistd.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
void main(){int p=ntohl(0x6E696E65);int q[]={p,ntohl(0x7479),p,0xA};write(1,&q,0x10);}

December 13, 2007 12:02 pm
Kriana63

Kriana63

Urchin

from Boston, MA
2 posts

Ben franklin was a scientist  - also a powerful person. Maybe we'll never see him again...

Who forgot the psychic paper?!

December 13, 2007 12:05 pm
madalice

madalice

Tinkerer

23 posts

Interesting - I'm not familiar with that story, I will have to read up on that when I get to work. On another "firing silly theories blindly into the dark" note, Look at the phrase "nice work." could it also be read as "good job(s)?"

no comment

December 13, 2007 12:09 pm
susanabra

susanabra

Automaton Tech

from Denmark
147 posts

@ madalice
While following a very silly tangent, I downloaded an app written by Crazy Alice. Any relation? tongue

- a nerd of a different color

December 13, 2007 12:29 pm
jopari

jopari

Tinkerer

21 posts

zelsyus wrote:
awakebyjava wrote:

His son William ... ?

Jane, his wife?

Sorry, sorry, I know, it was a terrible joke.

December 13, 2007 12:48 pm
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

I still think they should go to the other locations... preferably the one on the side of the kite that was darkened. Since they are all DEVON locations maybe they have more than 1 locker 5039.

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

December 13, 2007 12:53 pm

lyzrd

Urchin

4 posts

mindcrash wrote:

Some food for thought:

A) Temple University in Philadelphia has a department called the Centre for Frontier Science. Beverly Rubik has been a director there for seven years.
B) One of the things they do research on down there is biophysiology, one particular field of interest of the Center are low frequency waves like ELF waves. Guess what's on the sound recorder...
C) Anonymous source said something like "Pray that you find the scientist before I do" (Temple?)

So... Maybe something is going down at Temple U?

comes from the other Thread: ...Calling agents in Philladelphia

December 13, 2007 1:00 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

spyker3292 wrote:

I still think they should go to the other locations... preferably the one on the side of the kite that was darkened. Since they are all DEVON locations maybe they have more than 1 locker 5039.

Be prepared for being bombarded with an explanation of how the other sites don't matter...

But I've been saying it since last night and I think that it's a necessary thing to do.

Website | Twitter

December 13, 2007 1:01 pm
madalice

madalice

Tinkerer

23 posts

susanabra wrote:

@ madalice
While following a very silly tangent, I downloaded an app written by Crazy Alice. Any relation? tongue

No, sorry - madalice graphics is my freelance business name. Alice was a good friend from high school.

no comment

December 13, 2007 1:21 pm
thecavalier22

thecavalier22

Tinkerer

from pennsylvania
44 posts

Warbrain wrote:
spyker3292 wrote:

Be prepared for being bombarded with an explanation of how the other sites don't matter...

But I've been saying it since last night and I think that it's a necessary thing to do.

Warbrain, the only flaw in that logic is that all the other photos on the USB key were crossed out, so we don't really have any reason to believe that we should be going there.  I think they gave us those locations to point us to the DEVON storage locations, but only left the one not crossed out so that we didn't go to the wrong one.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 13, 2007 1:45 pm
thecavalier22

thecavalier22

Tinkerer

from pennsylvania
44 posts

Also, someone on IRC last night mentioned that macheist.com/box gives a 403 error, not a 404 like other busted/incorrect links. also, i had suggested something similar about a Steve Jobs/NeXT connection when thebox.png came out last week, so I think that'll be useful later on.  just as a continuation of all that other box/cube talk...

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 13, 2007 1:48 pm
madalice

madalice

Tinkerer

23 posts

I guess I have a need to keep my "wild speculative theory" ratio on the high side, but I followed a link from the NeXT wikipeda article to a mirror of the old BeOS website and found a rubiks cube icon next to the FAQ page. Also, Be inc. was in Menlo Park, home of Thomas Edison - another scientist involved with electricity.

no comment

December 13, 2007 1:59 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

I know that the consensus is that the rubik's cube is a taunt, but I want to be sure we cover all the bases.

#1 - The pictures of the cube are horrible in terms of color representation. Is there any chance that we can get some better pics? Based on what I could tell, and it's really hard to tell in some shots what's red and what's orange, this is the cube:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/jpdyson/cube.png

It can be solved in 96 moves

WrongWay.org cube solution

Can somebody help confirm the colors? I can't be sure because the red and orange stickers were nearly indistinguishable to me.

PM me | Twitter

December 13, 2007 2:04 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

DANGIT! nevermind... the cube has been moved, even within that set of pictures. If you consider the the all-white side the front, and then look at the side that is to the right, it's different in these two pic's. Orient the "N I" so that they're across the top, as you would read them normally.

http://home.comcast.net/~stoked887/macheist/rubics1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~stoked887/macheist/2.jpg

PM me | Twitter

December 13, 2007 2:11 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Further, from what I can tell, it looks like only one move was made. If I correct for that move, the solver says that the cube is incorrect/mispainted.

Check my cube - I could be wrong.

PM me | Twitter

December 13, 2007 2:23 pm
pmppk

pmppk

Urchin

6 posts

Think maybe the choice of DEVON storage facilities might be intended to focus our attention on Devon Technologies (DEVONThink etc..)?

word.

December 13, 2007 2:55 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

thecavalier22 wrote:
Warbrain wrote:
spyker3292 wrote:

Warbrain, the only flaw in that logic is that all the other photos on the USB key were crossed out, so we don't really have any reason to believe that we should be going there.  I think they gave us those locations to point us to the DEVON storage locations, but only left the one not crossed out so that we didn't go to the wrong one.

But could that have also been part of the ploy to lure us away from the proper sites?

Website | Twitter

December 13, 2007 2:58 pm

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?