Forums

Double-crossed

Jublins

Jublins

Gearhead

from Ann Arbor
70 posts

so nobody thinks that the Northwestern Professor I wrote about at the bottom of pg. 9 is the Scientist we are looking for?  It seems to me like there are way too many tangents for all of that to just be a coincidence.

December 14, 2007 8:29 am
lukebacon

lukebacon

Automaton Tech

from Steep, UK
324 posts

Jublins wrote:

so nobody thinks that the Northwestern Professor I wrote about at the bottom of pg. 9 is the Scientist we are looking for?  It seems to me like there are way too many tangents for all of that to just be a coincidence.

Personally, I'd say look him up (send someone in) if it's not too difficult to find him. Probably the easiest way to eliminate it as a possiblity?

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 14, 2007 8:44 am
Jublins

Jublins

Gearhead

from Ann Arbor
70 posts

i sent an email to him at his university account.  hopefully he isn't finished with class yet, and hopefully he checks that email often.

December 14, 2007 8:54 am
davedelong

davedelong

Tinkerer

29 posts

LRKirsch wrote:

I'm wondering if we did anything with what mfwit said on IRC earlier:

mfwit - 16:04:12 - there was a guy who stayed with us at the beginning for about an hour and said he had to go to work. my dad recalls him saying he was a scientist

mfwit - 16:05:05 - dont know if it helps at all but he was headed for ardmore

mfwit - 16:05:48 - he could only stay for a little while because he said he had to go to work

There is an Apple Store in Ardmore.
apple.com/ retail/ suburbansquare/ week/ 20071209.html

Of all the things we've been discussing so far, that sounds the most promising.

By reading this, you have given me brief control of your mind.

December 14, 2007 8:59 am
Jublins

Jublins

Gearhead

from Ann Arbor
70 posts

I am having 2nd thoughts about this professor now, after digging a bit deeper to find info on him, i found this:

"Steve Jobs is a tyrant, but that's precisely what Apple needed," said usability expert and author Donald A. Norman, even though he was one of the thousands who were pushed out in those early days.

So I am guessing he probably isn't too happy with Apple after getting laid off from them, so in that case he probably wouldn't want to participate in MH.

but then a little later I found this, related to the apple cube and norman:

Forrester analyst Ted Schadler has a two-word explanation for Apple's hard-to-dent public image: "Great products."
Much of the credit goes to Apple CEO Steve Jobs, says Donald Norman, co-founder of the Nielsen Norman Group and former head of Apple's Advanced Technology Group: "He has always had great product taste." Even the occasional misbegotten computer, online service, or device - the Cube, for example, or the not-ready-for-prime- time Newton - only serves to reinforce the edginess that is a major element of the Apple brand identity.

"Great designers will have great products and great failures,: Norman says. "Otherwise, they're not trying hard enough." If you want your company to mimic Apple's success, you really do have to think different(ly). Part of that is being willing to move on—from either a failure or a success. The Mini was the best-selling entry in the iPod line, but instead of letting the new Nano stand alongside it, Apple close to replace it. "We decided to burn the boats and go for it," Greg Joswiak, Cupertino's vice-president of worldwide product marketing for iPod, said at the Forrester Consumer Forum in New York.

December 14, 2007 9:05 am
zelsyus

zelsyus

Gearhead

from de
81 posts

I digged where "Jublins" digged... (great find by the way)

And found that there exists a "umbrella doctoral program in industrial design".

http:// www.idemployee.id.tue.nl/g.w.m.rauterberg/conferences/CD_doNotOpen/DED/d_final_paper/d_07.pdf

December 14, 2007 9:37 am
nezgsy

nezgsy

Urchin

6 posts

Just thinking outside the box here.

Has anyone put the white side of the Rubiks cube underneath a UV light?

People seem to think its a red herring, but it may have a hidden 2nd message.

A long shot I know.

December 14, 2007 10:19 am
zelsyus

zelsyus

Gearhead

from de
81 posts

So "Do you know where I might be able to find an umbrella, sir?"
Maybe here: http:// phd.wharton.upenn.edu/

December 14, 2007 10:48 am
3mil

3mil

Tinkerer

33 posts

hmm...

MSAE (Managerial Science and Applied Economics) is the administrative "Umbrella" Graduate Group used by the University to streamline the processing of all Wharton Ph.D. Degrees.

I'm blue da bu di da bu da da bu di da bu da...
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 14, 2007 11:29 am
LostOne

LostOne

Automaton Tech

from Illinois
117 posts

nezgsy wrote:

Just thinking outside the box here.

Has anyone put the white side of the Rubiks cube underneath a UV light?

People seem to think its a red herring, but it may have a hidden 2nd message.

A long shot I know.

That sounds like a very good idea.  There could be something there.  Someone should definitely try that.

December 14, 2007 11:41 am
majicman10211

majicman10211

Automaton Tech

from Pittsburgh, PA
154 posts

Not that this is important, but I'm at school and I just checked the homepage, and there must be a problem with the cookies because this is what I saw:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2900/picture1or6.png
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2900/picture1or6.png

This only happened when I was logged out.  Whenever I'm logged in, it goes away...

- Majicman smile

MacHeist is sweet.  Period.

December 14, 2007 12:34 pm
Lokodude

Lokodude

Automaton Tech

from Norway
125 posts

I see it too! Sweet smile

By night we sail, by dawn we fight!

December 14, 2007 12:40 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Here's were the link goes:

http://mhstatic.com/box/8392/thebox.zip

And here's the image again:

http://myskitch.com/dontbejack/didyouseethis-20071214-064055.jpg

Website | Twitter

December 14, 2007 12:41 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

confirmed - see the same when i'm logged out. it's called "vault_open_heist_dos.png"

suggests that it's a glimpse of what to expect from heist 2's loot...

edit: can anybody identify the applications pictured? i see runic, but i don't know what the other three are. i'd love a good mouse configuration app so that my logitech g5 can stop collecting dust...

PM me | Twitter

December 14, 2007 12:42 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

jpdyson wrote:

confirmed - see the same when i'm logged out. it's called "vault_open_heist_dos.png"

suggests that it's a glimpse of what to expect from heist 2's loot...

edit: can anybody identify the applications pictured? i see runic, but i don't know what the other three are. i'd love a good mouse configuration app so that my logitech g5 can stop collecting dust...

The one application allows you to spotlight your cursor...don't remember the name..

The other looks like a calculator.  And then there's a letter which isn't an application but rather a clue.

Website | Twitter

December 14, 2007 12:53 pm
Balboa

Balboa

Tinkerer

41 posts

The calculator seems to be iota-calc.

http://www.solrobots.com/iotacalc/index.html

I feel dirty for looking behind the curtain now.

December 14, 2007 12:54 pm
zaydia

zaydia

Automaton Tech

from Washington, DC
224 posts

Warbrain wrote:

Still a 404 for me.

All's quiet in the Amazon.

December 14, 2007 1:00 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

iotacalc looks cool, though i would have voted for soulver.

and the link is still a 404, yes... but it's still news.

PM me | Twitter

December 14, 2007 1:01 pm
zelsyus

zelsyus

Gearhead

from de
81 posts

Warbrain wrote:

The one application allows you to spotlight your cursor...don't remember the name...

Mousposé

December 14, 2007 1:04 pm
coumerelli

coumerelli

Automaton Tech

118 posts

Ok. First, the audio from the Self-Storage had clicks - while these things are accidently over-recorded all the time, I don't think that happened in this case. Ben Franklin, the Scientist (let's clear that up once and for all), was blinking? Morse code, folks. Remember the morse code flashy thing from MH1?

Maybe it's part a and part b, or every other one. I dunno, but after 2 days, I think the directorate has left it up to us to move it on.

I don't think we're supposed to wait for anything. And the only reason we'll hear from them is if we take to long and need a hint.

December 14, 2007 1:05 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

coumerelli wrote:

Ok. First, the audio from the Self-Storage had clicks - while these things are accidently over-recorded all the time, I don't think that happened in this case. Ben Franklin, the Scientist (let's clear that up once and for all), was blinking? Morse code, folks. Remember the morse code flashy thing from MH1?

Maybe it's part a and part b, or every other one. I dunno, but after 2 days, I think the directorate has left it up to us to move it on.

I don't think we're supposed to wait for anything. And the only reason we'll hear from them is if we take to long and need a hint.

You really can't be sure that Ben is the scientist - according to the brief, the informant (much more likely to be the scientist) sent his contact (aka, Ben). Unless you think the thief is after the contact (Ben) instead of the actual informant (who I believe is the scientist).

What more could Ben tell us? Could we even get to him again?

PM me | Twitter

December 14, 2007 1:09 pm
watcher

watcher

Gearhead

from Belgium
54 posts

Warbrain wrote:

And here's the image again:

http://myskitch.com/dontbejack/didyouse … 064055.jpg

It's also happening over here ... I think there might be more to this than a "glitch" or some sort ... Yesterday it was still a closed vault over here (even when logged out!)

Only real men dare to wear purple!

December 14, 2007 1:17 pm

applgeek

Tinkerer

20 posts

I wanted to note that there is a letter in the open vault.

December 14, 2007 1:19 pm
bisley

bisley

Gearhead

from Malaga City
71 posts

maybe the number in the url could be something? 8392

Referral Achievement: 2 / 2 Thank you, buddys!
Go! Greeneisters! Go!

December 14, 2007 1:23 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

applgeek wrote:

so did WB...

Warbrain wrote:

And then there's a letter which isn't an application but rather a clue.

WB, is this a carryover from MH1? Is there a standard icon used for letters which will be clues that was used last year? Not that I disagree, I'm just curious (and it would be good to clarify for all). Also, where did you get the box link? I never saw that - by the time I saw the open safe, the link pointed to the loot page.

the numbers will likely be significant. It's possible also that they'll change, if so, between now and when that heist kicks off, since we've seen them now.

PM me | Twitter

December 14, 2007 1:27 pm
krema

krema

Urchin

7 posts

the letter links to mhstatic.com/box/8392/thebox.zip

December 14, 2007 1:28 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

roger that - i see the link now. obviously, however, i get a 404.

PM me | Twitter

December 14, 2007 1:36 pm

justinramedia

Urchin

5 posts

Has anyone thought about hidden ink or anything in the kite? Someone asked why it was made of paper.

I know it's a bit like National Treasure, but in the movie they were going to "burn" the declaration of independence to "extract" ink. They ended up using lemon juice in the end...

Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

December 14, 2007 1:37 pm
coumerelli

coumerelli

Automaton Tech

118 posts

Oh yeah! the old lemon juice and match trick! Stoked! You gotta try it!

December 14, 2007 1:42 pm
Calgary

Calgary

Urchin

from Canada
9 posts

Most of the unlocked vault image that appears on the MacHeist home page when logged out links to /loot. ONLY the letter links to mhstatic. com/ box/ 8392/ thebox.zip.

Must be something significant there. Any relationship between 8392 and 5039?

December 14, 2007 2:10 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

There is a chance that 8392 could in fact be the code - just that it hasn't been configured for the safe yet because that little gaffe with the vault opening shouldn't have happened. smile

justinramedia wrote:

Has anyone thought about hidden ink or anything in the kite? Someone asked why it was made of paper.

I know it's a bit like National Treasure, but in the movie they were going to "burn" the declaration of independence to "extract" ink. They ended up using lemon juice in the end...

Invisible ink (esp. w/lemon juice) is one of the oldest tricks in the book (I got that off of Mr. Wizard - anyone remember that show?) - I guess it's worth a shot.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

December 14, 2007 2:27 pm
zelsyus

zelsyus

Gearhead

from de
81 posts

rampancy wrote:

There is a chance that 8392 could in fact be the code - just that it hasn't been configured for the safe yet because that little gaffe with the vault opening shouldn't have happened. smile

Don't think so ... :-(
That would be too easy...

And other links also had numbers in it ... and those didn't mean something.
Or am I wrong?

December 14, 2007 2:36 pm
gianconstantine

gianconstantine

Tinkerer

from Atlanta, Ga
16 posts

Anyone think about the fact that the world's first web server was a cube, a NeXTCube. As a reminder, the NeXTCube was designed by NeXT Computers, a company started by Steve Jobs after he was booted from Apple. Its OS became the basis for Mac OS X.

Just something to think about, since this is a web-based heist (or was wink)

Gian

December 14, 2007 2:38 pm
andreaspeters1

andreaspeters1

Tinkerer

from Gjøvik, Norway
26 posts

THe link to this forum is 6116! Is that maybe the code?? okei, sorry, I just had to say it:P! Anyway, can someone try to find out if there is any "invisible letter" on the kite???

 Green Monkeys™ 
Monkeys of the world, UNITE!!

December 14, 2007 2:39 pm
martian

martian

Tinkerer

from Vienna
13 posts

played around with the link a bit (mhstatic. com/ box/ 8392/ thebox.zip), didn' t get any results... tried to change the number to 5039, tried every file-extension i could think of and changed the name of the .zip to different heist-related words (cube, thecube, benjaminfranklin, key, kite) and tried to put it behind macheist .com- nothing. any ideas? don't think that this is a clue that "just isn't active yet" - there should be something.

BTW google isn't kind to us either when given "thebox.zip" - loads of files, all of them one or more years old.

"You're not Mr. Pink, you're Mr. Purple!"

December 14, 2007 2:46 pm

joostv

Urchin

1 posts

Try to heat up the paper by ironing it. Be careful, you may get burned.

December 14, 2007 2:48 pm
gianconstantine

gianconstantine

Tinkerer

from Atlanta, Ga
16 posts

Come on guys...the image you see when you log out is a teaser for new visitors. I doubt it means anything. We should focus on all the things they've thrown us. The recordings, the messages, the cubes, the videos are all important somehow.

I normally say, "Discount nothing", but in this case, I'm pretty sure it's just a teaser image.

Gian

(Waiting for either WarBrain's approval or cries of hypocrisy) *sigh*

December 14, 2007 2:54 pm
gianconstantine

gianconstantine

Tinkerer

from Atlanta, Ga
16 posts

joostv wrote:

Try to heat up the paper by ironing it. Be careful, you may get burned.

No, no. Tie it to a string, and see if it'll fly! big_smile

Gian

December 14, 2007 2:56 pm

the_13th_saint

Urchin

2 posts

'vault_open_heist_dos.png'

unfortunately the 'dos' thing makes me think it isn't a teaser image.
Oh well, we don't have the loot yet so we keep thinking, trying and examining the information we have.

December 14, 2007 3:00 pm
gianconstantine

gianconstantine

Tinkerer

from Atlanta, Ga
16 posts

What about 'dos' is interesting?

December 14, 2007 3:03 pm
thekryz

thekryz

Gearhead

from Germany, Deutschland, Alemania
93 posts

the_13th_saint wrote:

'vault_open_heist_dos.png'

unfortunately the 'dos' thing makes me think it isn't a teaser image.
Oh well, we don't have the loot yet so we keep thinking, trying and examining the information we have.

If it was a teaser, the box-Link wouldnt be there.

The gates in my computer are AND, OR and NOT; they are not Bill.

December 14, 2007 3:06 pm
gianconstantine

gianconstantine

Tinkerer

from Atlanta, Ga
16 posts

Why not? We don't know what the plan for the front page is.

December 14, 2007 3:13 pm
GaryD

GaryD

Tinkerer

25 posts

gianconstantine wrote:

What about 'dos' is interesting?

It's probably just another way of labeling it as belonging to MacHeist II  (ie:  dos=2) ...or identifying it with the second heist mission...

RDF Generator Avatar courtesy of MacHeist Member mybagofjems

December 14, 2007 3:18 pm
thekryz

thekryz

Gearhead

from Germany, Deutschland, Alemania
93 posts

gianconstantine wrote:

If there was a *plan*, just putting some unfinished Image including Linkmap up would be really really stupid.

The gates in my computer are AND, OR and NOT; they are not Bill.

December 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Automaton Tech

from lacolhost
115 posts

It may also be a hint that we are supposed to look at the box from backdoor again since the zip file was named thebox.zip.
http://mhstatic.com/backdoor/thebox.png

It may be something that we have missed.

#include <unistd.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
void main(){int p=ntohl(0x6E696E65);int q[]={p,ntohl(0x7479),p,0xA};write(1,&q,0x10);}

December 14, 2007 3:24 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

martian wrote:

played around with the link a bit (mhstatic. com/ box/ 8392/ thebox.zip), didn' t get any results... tried to change the number to 5039, tried every file-extension i could think of and changed the name of the .zip to different heist-related words (cube, thecube, benjaminfranklin, key, kite) and tried to put it behind macheist .com- nothing. any ideas? don't think that this is a clue that "just isn't active yet" - there should be something.

BTW google isn't kind to us either when given "thebox.zip" - loads of files, all of them one or more years old.

...or it could be that the reason why we get a 404 page is that they actually hadn't posted the file yet... wink

Marathon Forever.

December 14, 2007 3:28 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

thekryz wrote:
gianconstantine wrote:

If there was a *plan*, just putting some unfinished Image including Linkmap up would be really really stupid.

I'm reminded of Hanlon's Razor right about now...heh.

Marathon Forever.

December 14, 2007 3:30 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

jpdyson wrote:
applgeek wrote:

so did WB...

Warbrain wrote:

And then there's a letter which isn't an application but rather a clue.

WB, is this a carryover from MH1? Is there a standard icon used for letters which will be clues that was used last year? Not that I disagree, I'm just curious (and it would be good to clarify for all). Also, where did you get the box link? I never saw that - by the time I saw the open safe, the link pointed to the loot page.

the numbers will likely be significant. It's possible also that they'll change, if so, between now and when that heist kicks off, since we've seen them now.

It's a regular icon from last year.

Website | Twitter

December 14, 2007 3:30 pm
nre999

nre999

Automaton Tech

from B'ham WA
182 posts

Wow, is it me or are we making this needlessly complicated.  I agree that the open vault would be a good teaser - it makes sense from a certain perspective.

Why is it a mystery about the scientist.  Wasn't there a scientist in Heist 1?  Apply Occam's Razor - that is the scientist we are looking for.

I think the biggest area of focus should be in the idea of "the box" or the "cube".  This is the third instance of that coming up as a clue.

Thoughts?

"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"  - all things being equal, the least complicated of all solutions is the preferable one (Occam's Razor).

December 14, 2007 3:50 pm
blckleprd

blckleprd

Gearhead

72 posts

I'm going to go ahead and say that the audio on the recorder got deleted or overwritten somehow, and that was going to be our next clue. The Directorate will probably put together a solution soon, but there is no way this mini heist is as convoluted as we seem to think, seeing as all of the previous heists have been relatively simple.

I met Hubert in the amazon.

December 14, 2007 3:52 pm

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?