Forums

ALERT: Latte, Elephant, Red Eye... calling all agents in Chicago!

MacHeist Forums » Directorate Communiqués » ALERT: Latte, Elephant, Red Eye... calling all agents in Chicago!
plosfas@plosfas.com

plosfas@plosfas.com

Automaton Tech

from Canada
125 posts

Corvana wrote:

I still don't really like this offline heisting.  More fun for those who can make it, maybe, but for the rest of the world?

I totally agree. And since I don't live in or near a major city, I don't see a heist showing up at my front door any time soon.

December 18, 2007 5:19 am
Micrll

Micrll

Gearhead

54 posts

Good luck warbrain!  Im home from school and would venture out for this but I have a doctors appointment, and I would have to travel over an hour from the north shore to make it.  Have fun, I will be watching the twitter feed.

December 18, 2007 5:22 am
iLori

iLori

Automaton Tech

from Cascades
251 posts

I thought it would be very cool to have some heisting action where I live, to go out and be part of the action!  Tons of fun, didn't think it'd happen though.....BUT I LIVE IN PORTLAND, OR AND STILL DIDN'T NEED TO GO ANYWHERE!  AARRRGGHH

Still havin' a good time with the whole heisting though.

Parenthood is like being pecked to death by a duck

December 18, 2007 5:24 am
nre999

nre999

Automaton Tech

from B'ham WA
182 posts

Warbrain wrote:
nre999 wrote:

JUST HAD A THOUGHT - Is the Red Eye available online?  Or rather would anyone be able to scan it in the AM so that we can take a gander at it?

There may be something significant in there....

It is available online, but it's a huge PDF...

That should work - if we mobilize the online task force, we may be able to feed you information .....

"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"  - all things being equal, the least complicated of all solutions is the preferable one (Occam's Razor).

December 18, 2007 5:25 am
alhooter

alhooter

Tinkerer

44 posts

definetheline wrote:

Toronto is next, i just know it...

I would be very happy if this is the case.

December 18, 2007 5:26 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

nre999 wrote:

JUST HAD A THOUGHT - Is the Red Eye available online?  Or rather would anyone be able to scan it in the AM so that we can take a gander at it?

There may be something significant in there....

I'm not sure we could find something of importance in the paper...but if I was a spy, I'd use it to hide something, identifying someone, or exchange it for something.

...just a thought...

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

December 18, 2007 5:28 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Well, I've got an IRC client on my BlackBerry and I might have my iBook...haven't decided on that yet - most likely not as weight might be an issue.

Website | Twitter

December 18, 2007 5:30 am
jdr4him

jdr4him

Tinkerer

26 posts

Where do I go to download the PDF of the Red Eye?
I can't find a download page. I want to know where to look tomorrow to download it.

[Edit] Never mind I found it Here [/Edit]

Jdr4Him

December 18, 2007 5:40 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

jdr4him wrote:

Where do I go to download the PDF of the Red Eye?
I can't find a download page. I want to know where to look tomorrow to download it.

[Edit] Never mind I found it Here [/Edit]

It would be best to go to redeyechicago.com and click on the link from there.  I don't know what time the new paper goes up, though.

Website | Twitter

December 18, 2007 5:49 am
jdr4him

jdr4him

Tinkerer

26 posts

Ok thanks I missed that earlier big_smile

Jdr4Him

December 18, 2007 5:54 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

So from what I can tell is that the person will be actually be waiting in the Grand Hall of Union Station.  That makes it a bit easier to at least find the spot but might make it more of a pain to actually find the person as the homeless often congregate on the benches, even during the day.

Website | Twitter

December 18, 2007 6:00 am

Corgy

Urchin

3 posts

iLori wrote:

I thought it would be very cool to have some heisting action where I live, to go out and be part of the action!  Tons of fun, didn't think it'd happen though.....BUT I LIVE IN PORTLAND, OR AND STILL DIDN'T NEED TO GO ANYWHERE!  AARRRGGHH

Still havin' a good time with the whole heisting though.

I almost pissed myself when I heard 5-0-3 on the doctor's recording! Yay, Oregon!

December 18, 2007 6:12 am
smartyhall

smartyhall

Tinkerer

from Cleveland, TN
26 posts

At least you won't need to go around asking homeless people for umbrellas. :-)

--
I flog my blog: http://blog.michaelhall.us
MyClaimID: http://claimid.com/michaelhall

December 18, 2007 6:15 am
badams

badams

Gearhead

from Norman, OK
50 posts

Warbrain, are you thinking about video? The video of the Philly drop was interesting but not really helpful.
This almost seems like the mini-heists might feed together at some point.

"Millions of men have lived to fight, build palaces and boundaries, shape destinies and societies; but the compelling force of all times has been the force of originality and creation profoundly affecting the roots of human spirit." -Ansel Adams
Find me on: Twitter | Virb

December 18, 2007 6:20 am
badams

badams

Gearhead

from Norman, OK
50 posts

They only have the Monday version of the red eye up. If it's a morning paper, it will probably be up by about 3am. (I used to work for a paper). But if it's afternoon/evening, it probably will be up just in time for the meet.

"Millions of men have lived to fight, build palaces and boundaries, shape destinies and societies; but the compelling force of all times has been the force of originality and creation profoundly affecting the roots of human spirit." -Ansel Adams
Find me on: Twitter | Virb

December 18, 2007 6:23 am

euromax

Urchin

1 posts

Why does nobody talk about the RDF machine mentioned in Monique's message? Sorry - wanted to post an URL but the forum interface wouldn't let me! :-(
If you do a research in Google however, you'll find some interesting things about machines and semantics ... could that be relevant for the next heist?

December 18, 2007 6:58 am
mav7281

mav7281

Urchin

3 posts

Warbrain remember the person will be between the elephant and latte.

Bridges are for Mortals

December 18, 2007 7:11 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

definetheline wrote:

Toronto is next, i just know it...

I can see it now...

I know what they're doing with it, eh?

Tuesday

5:47 PM

Toronto

Eaton Centre

In front of The Apple Store

walkway closest to The Disney Store

bring a large double-double and a Boston Creme wink

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

December 18, 2007 7:21 am
kronos

kronos

Tinkerer

from Manila
42 posts

for those interested:

http://tinyurl.com/2daytm (Google Map)

Purple is the new Black.

Think Purple.

December 18, 2007 7:31 am
Steiner

Steiner

Gearhead

from Great Britain
89 posts

Warbrain wrote:

I can be there if you all want me to be.

We do! We Do! WE DO!!!!

"There is two things that are infinite: The Universe and Mans stupidity. - Actually, I am not so sure about the Universe."
Albert Einstein.

December 18, 2007 8:43 am
oomhenk

oomhenk

Tinkerer

from amsterdam
20 posts

Corvana wrote:

I still don't really like this offline heisting.  More fun for those who can make it, maybe, but for the rest of the world?

I actually like things going off-line (as long as the puzzles are still on-line).
it's great that I can follow people doing heist stuff in chicago and philly while I'm here in amsterdam with chat, twitter and forum messages flying around.
so I'll be watching you, warbrain.

HUH?

December 18, 2007 8:52 am
abjupa

abjupa

Automaton Tech

from Norway
171 posts

I think that this off-line/online thing is exiting. Reminds me of when I was i kid and we played secret agents, and secretly followed people around in the town where I grew up smile
And the heist suddenly becomes more "real" this way.

But, why so late in the afternoon? 5:47 in Chicago is in the middle of the night here (0:47 AM). So I might be able to join in on the start of it, but have no chance to follow it all sad
(Yes, I know people are at work/school, I work too, hence I can't stay up all night hmm )

Well well, I'll read the report the next morning. I hope you'll be more than one, and that you bring a video camera.

Take care, and keep your eyes open smile

-lover
And part of the mean, green, heisting machine! GO Green Monkeys!

December 18, 2007 10:37 am
boboboe

boboboe

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

Warbrain wrote:

I can be there if you all want me to be.

Looks like you might be flying this one solo...

Flickr

December 18, 2007 11:11 am
DRC

DRC

Tinkerer

from Utopia, UT
34 posts

Wow. You'd think that the meet going down in Chicago would have more MacHeist users than one. Hopefully, Warbrain will find some comrades in arms by the meetup at 5:47pm.

Twitter
last.fm

December 18, 2007 11:22 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

badams wrote:

They only have the Monday version of the red eye up. If it's a morning paper, it will probably be up by about 3am. (I used to work for a paper). But if it's afternoon/evening, it probably will be up just in time for the meet.

Depends on what I can garner about the drop.  If it seems there might be something of importance from a video I'm going to make one.

Website | Twitter

December 18, 2007 11:38 am
crapple

crapple

Gearhead

from Atlanta, GA
65 posts

good luck warbrain....don't let the hobo's get you.

And directorate, how about some Atlanta love?

Mistakes are the portals of discovery. - James Joyce

December 18, 2007 11:43 am
btorbo

btorbo

Tinkerer

21 posts

Go for it, Warbrain!

Change is good – you go first.

December 18, 2007 11:48 am
Trueskool

Trueskool

Gearhead

from Virginia Beach
84 posts

They should do a heist in virginia beach, nuff said.

Is warbrain the only one who's going to be able to make this one?

Twitter | Last.fm | If Obama played MacHeist he would be on the blue team.

December 18, 2007 11:55 am
millca

millca

Tinkerer

38 posts

Check out the About page of the RedEye website: http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/about/

There's a cover that says "Untouchable." I haven't found the actual cover date for that cover yet but then again I just began searching. Could it be today's actual cover? Or is it some past Tuesday's cover?

December 18, 2007 12:02 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

millca wrote:

Check out the About page of the RedEye website: http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/about/

There's a cover that says "Untouchable." I haven't found the actual cover date for that cover yet but then again I just began searching. Could it be today's actual cover? Or is it some past Tuesday's cover?

It's old.  VERY old.

If you're wanting to see today's edition, check the upper right corner of the site.  It's not up yet, but I suspect that it will be soon.

Website | Twitter

December 18, 2007 12:06 pm
millca

millca

Tinkerer

38 posts

Here's a pdf brochure of the Union Station but no mention of a coffee shop:
http://www.chicagounionstation.com/grap … ochure.pdf

December 18, 2007 12:25 pm
AriX

AriX

Automaton Tech

from Pennsylvania
213 posts

clodter wrote:

Why can't they just keep the heists strictly online.  I feel so left out not being able to go to these specific city heists... sad

Oh and yes Warbrain we would love for you to go.

Agreed (on both points)

Proud member of the Orange team!
Let's go into theAmazon. tongue

December 18, 2007 12:26 pm
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

Awww.. I'm so close.... Milwaukee sad.

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

December 18, 2007 12:46 pm

webmacster87

Tinkerer

29 posts

I'm surprised no one in this topic has given any love to San Francisco. <3

December 18, 2007 12:51 pm
ptoal

ptoal

Automaton Tech

from Ontario, Canada
216 posts

As far as I can tell from the PDF, and the photos online, there's not much actually _in_ the great hall.

Perhaps they have decorated with a theme this year, and there's an elephant in the room?  Or is there "figuratively" going to be an elephant in the room?

The latte could be a little coffee stand, or it might be something less literal.

Any chance there are heisters that actually commute through Union Sta.?  There's not much us out-of-townerns can add.

In theory, theory and practice are the same, in practice, they are not.

December 18, 2007 12:52 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

ptoal wrote:

As far as I can tell from the PDF, and the photos online, there's not much actually _in_ the great hall.

Perhaps they have decorated with a theme this year, and there's an elephant in the room?  Or is there "figuratively" going to be an elephant in the room?

The latte could be a little coffee stand, or it might be something less literal.

Any chance there are heisters that actually commute through Union Sta.?  There's not much us out-of-townerns can add.

Your last point is part of the reason why I'm becoming more frustrated.  I'm tired of reading advice from people who have no idea what is actually in the station. Let us do our thing.

Website | Twitter

December 18, 2007 12:56 pm
LostOne

LostOne

Automaton Tech

from Illinois
117 posts

I live near Chicago so I'm going to try and convince my parents to let me go.

December 18, 2007 1:04 pm

Roamer

Tinkerer

24 posts

No love for Kentucky? sad
I guess no heist "real" missions in Lexington

I'm a Mac fan to poor to afford a Mac... sad

December 18, 2007 1:36 pm
erniepc12

erniepc12

Automaton Tech

from Just North of New York
343 posts

pmppk wrote:

sigh.... no love for NYC yet

Me things that there are a few NYC people.

If you need me, I could do White Plains with ease...

http://ladder42.com/  Volunteer Firefighter for over 17 years.
Former Macheist team: "Green Monkeys™ "

December 18, 2007 1:40 pm
atticusrex

atticusrex

Sky Pirate

from dfw
1,025 posts

HMMM... Just a thought about these 'City' missions.  Could it be that MacHeist is embedded with the Google Street Camera Car dudes?

I know sounds crazy but also what a great way to promote Google's latest 'must use' internet gadget.

Been Drinking the Mac KoolAid since 1984
See You in the Land Of The Useless
Neon Charity Films

December 18, 2007 1:42 pm
madalice

madalice

Tinkerer

23 posts

being election time, could The Elephant refer to something republican?

no comment

December 18, 2007 1:44 pm
patrickloggins

patrickloggins

Gearhead

from Marietta, GA
73 posts

Warbrain wrote:

Your last point is part of the reason why I'm becoming more frustrated.  I'm tired of reading advice from people who have no idea what is actually in the station. Let us do our thing.

Seriously guys. They've got the info, they're going. You can speculate and speculate all you want, but it's not going to change anything until they get to the station.

All right, you proved your point. You broke into my vault. Congratulations, you're a dead man.

December 18, 2007 1:45 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

patrickloggins wrote:
Warbrain wrote:

Seriously guys. They've got the info, they're going. You can speculate and speculate all you want, but it's not going to change anything until they get to the station.

Exactly. I've already got the newspaper that we need so we're moving along at a good pace.

Website | Twitter

December 18, 2007 1:53 pm
kronos

kronos

Tinkerer

from Manila
42 posts

Warbrain has already picked up the Red Eye.

Purple is the new Black.

Think Purple.

December 18, 2007 1:53 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Nice! I doubt I'll be available for any real-time help on this one, but I'm very interested to see what comes of it. I've never been to Union Station, but the idea of setting up a meeting there just sound crazy. Best of luck, WB - looks like the contact will be seeking you out (since they make no mention of how to identify the contact).

Do you have anybody going with you?

PM me | Twitter

December 18, 2007 2:01 pm

eikelben

Urchin

from Chicago, IL, USA
8 posts

Warbrain-

I go through union twice daily - i'll try to make it tonite as well.  Any thoughts as to what the "bench between Latte and Elephant" refers to?  I can't recall if there are any actual statues outside the Metro Grill or whether it refers to something more figuratively…

December 18, 2007 2:08 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

jpdyson wrote:

Nice! I doubt I'll be available for any real-time help on this one, but I'm very interested to see what comes of it. I've never been to Union Station, but the idea of setting up a meeting there just sound crazy. Best of luck, WB - looks like the contact will be seeking you out (since they make no mention of how to identify the contact).

Do you have anybody going with you?

There was one other member who said that he would be able to make it so I think there might be two of us.

But yes, it definitely seems like I'll have to be waiting for him on the bench reading my red eye. I'm also considering that he might be there early and waiting for me.

Website | Twitter

December 18, 2007 2:09 pm
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

crapple wrote:

good luck warbrain....don't let the hobo's get you.

And directorate, how about some Atlanta love?

Exactly.  I've got a video camera I can hide in a bag, am ready to drive, and have the time in the next few weeks (vacation all next week during Christmas).  I also have my own webspace on a server ready to rock the photos, and my Mac's ready to do some basic editing so we can get everything up in a timely manner.  Let's rock it Atlanta!

For those not down with the real-life missions, just try to enjoy the chaos of watching.  It certainly is a fascinating way to handle time in-between heists, and I do think there's a story / thread to tie it all together. 

The question is, can we figure it out before the Directorate puts all the pieces together for us?  So far I haven't read very many ideas that were anything more than wacked out theories - not many attempts at figuring out a coherent explanation for everything we've learned so far.  Let's keep trying!

Alright Warbrain, rock it in Chicago and let's see what you've got.

Whistle while you work.  Patience is key.

December 18, 2007 2:12 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

eikelben wrote:

Warbrain-
I'm not sure what it could mean yet. It's possible that there's some statue I haven't noticed before.

And now we're up to three. Even better.
I go through union twice daily - i'll try to make it tonite as well.  Any thoughts as to what the "bench between Latte and Elephant" refers to?  I can't recall if there are any actual statues outside the Metro Grill or whether it refers to something more figuratively…

Website | Twitter

Shig23

Shig23

Tinkerer

from Tallahassee, FL
10 posts

And doubly seriously: there are fifty states in the US, 245 countries in the world, and thousands of cities. Macheist runs until MWSF in January. What do you think the odds are that they're going to set a mission in North Moosup or East Xylophone or Inner Trashcanistan or wherever you happen to be in that time?

... But if the Directorate happened to decide to run one in LA, I'm gonna be there for the next week or so. I'm just sayin'. wink

Blessed are the Thieves, for the Lord helps those who help themselves.

MacHeist Forums » Directorate Communiqués » ALERT: Latte, Elephant, Red Eye... calling all agents in Chicago!

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?