Forums

Chicago recap

MacHeist Forums » The Front » Chicago recap
retroleum

retroleum

Gearhead

from Japan
55 posts

Is anyone thinking the Declaration of Independence might be a clue too? If you're already using all the other things that came with the disk...

December 19, 2007 5:56 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

dangr wrote:
Adrammelech wrote:

The tinag.net site has a couple of "hidden" links...

slyfox.me.uk
deaddrop.us
forums.unfiction.com/forums/
varin.org/vmambo/
argn.net
tinag.net/mondrain_transatlantic_11.php *this one has even more "hidden" links*

Don't know if it's of use...

I think it's a separate site; created to start people on ARGs (like this one?), but I odn't think it's related.

Thought so too...but no harm in passing it along...who knows!

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

December 19, 2007 5:57 am
mfelty

mfelty

Gearhead

from Knoxville, TN
62 posts

Does Ben Franklin have something to do with it?  He did sign the Declaration of Independence.  I am sure it is all related somehow.

It's not that easy being green;
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves.
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold...
or something much more colorful like that.

December 19, 2007 6:05 am
Aeaea

Aeaea

Tinkerer

14 posts

"ARG" as the password?

December 19, 2007 6:07 am
retroleum

retroleum

Gearhead

from Japan
55 posts

mfelty wrote:

Does Ben Franklin have something to do with it?  He did sign the Declaration of Independence.  I am sure it is all related somehow.

The signing of the Declaration also took place in Philly.

December 19, 2007 6:08 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Aeaea wrote:

"ARG" as the password?

Nope.

Website | Twitter

December 19, 2007 6:08 am
davedelong

davedelong

Tinkerer

29 posts

The Declaration of Independence does not contain any pattern of consecutive words that start with the letters T, I, N, A, G, nor the letters I, N, A, G.

How about uploading the file so we can have more than just one person trying to crack it.  Didn't your mother teach you to share?

By reading this, you have given me brief control of your mind.

December 19, 2007 6:09 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

davedelong wrote:

The Declaration of Independence does not contain any pattern of consecutive words that start with the letters T, I, N, A, G, nor the letters I, N, A, G.

How about uploading the file so we can have more than just one person trying to crack it.  Didn't your mother teach you to share?

Another member of the team is online and we're both working on it.  I set a deadline in the IRC as to when I would put it up if we didn't get it done.  Remember...I have all the info.

Website | Twitter

December 19, 2007 6:12 am
Aeaea

Aeaea

Tinkerer

14 posts

This is too close to be coincidental (delete space):
http: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game but I can't figure out how.

December 19, 2007 6:17 am
pushing.robot

pushing.robot

Tinkerer

36 posts

Warbrain:  Are you using Tiger or Leopard to decrypt the file?  I know that Leopard added 256-bit encryption, while Tiger only supports 128-bit, so it's conceivable that MacHeist accidentally made the file Leopard-only.

Do you have stairs in your house?

December 19, 2007 6:19 am
mfelty

mfelty

Gearhead

from Knoxville, TN
62 posts

Are there any discrepancies between the copy of the DoI that was obtained versus the real one?

How about checking the signatures.

December 19, 2007 6:21 am
huntercereal

huntercereal

Gearhead

95 posts

Aeaea wrote:

This is too close to be coincidental (delete space):
http: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game but I can't figure out how.

Yes. That is what you are a participant in...

Feeling generous? Use my reefer code! Buy the bundle here!

December 19, 2007 6:23 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

pushing.robot wrote:

Warbrain:  Are you using Tiger or Leopard to decrypt the file?  I know that Leopard added 256-bit encryption, while Tiger only supports 128-bit, so it's conceivable that MacHeist accidentally made the file Leopard-only.

Leopard...so I'm all good.

Website | Twitter

Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

mfelty wrote:

Are there any discrepancies between the copy of the DoI that was obtained versus the real one?

How about checking the signatures.

Doesn't really matter as it's a printed out image.  It's hard to read anyway.

Website | Twitter

nre999

nre999

Automaton Tech

from B'ham WA
182 posts

Bit Clamp?

"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"  - all things being equal, the least complicated of all solutions is the preferable one (Occam's Razor).

December 19, 2007 6:28 am
Photo678

Photo678

Automaton Tech

from quaint little town in PA
332 posts

NVM

December 19, 2007 6:31 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

nre999 wrote:

Bit Clamp?

It might be worth the shot...

Nope, just asking me to encrypt...

Website | Twitter

December 19, 2007 6:31 am
KCMac

KCMac

Tinkerer

from Midwest USA
14 posts

Just a thought here. But wasn't Warbrain promoted to moderator here recently? Didn't somebody say trust nobody? It seems kinda odd that information isn't being shared as in "I'm working on it I'll let you know", or "There's another heister online and we're working on it, we'll let you know what we find".

It seems we're all heisters and would be more than willing to help. Unfortunately I'm behind a firewall right now and can't get to IRC to investigate.

Just throwing it out there to think about.

But then, it could be the episode of ST Voyager "The Voyager Conspiracy" on SPIKE right now that is inspiring me. wink

Dreams are where realities begin...

December 19, 2007 6:32 am
MMMac Man

MMMac Man

Gearhead

from Hickory Street
75 posts

Warbrain wrote:
davedelong wrote:

Another member of the team is online and we're both working on it.  I set a deadline in the IRC as to when I would put it up if we didn't get it done.  Remember...I have all the info.

Let me remind you we're ALL playing this game, Son. We're not your ego slaves. Put the damn thing up so we can get on with it or you're gonna find yourself talking to the walls. Jackass.

Mayor Mark Mediocre must go!

December 19, 2007 6:34 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

KCMac wrote:

Just a thought here. But wasn't Warbrain promoted to moderator here recently? Didn't somebody say trust nobody? It seems kinda odd that information isn't being shared as in "I'm working on it I'll let you know", or "There's another heister online and we're working on it, we'll let you know what we find".

It seems we're all heisters and would be more than willing to help. Unfortunately I'm behind a firewall right now and can't get to IRC to investigate.

But then, it could be the episode of ST Voyager "The Voyager Conspiracy" on SPIKE right now that is inspiring me. wink

I have no background knowledge of anything.  I was just as in the dark as everyone was and is.  I'm holding onto the info as there are two of us who were out in the field tonight who have the info from tonight working on it.  I'm uploading it at 5 AM CST for everyone if we don't crack it.  Just be patient.  Let us work on it as we've been doing it all night.  We're in a better position than you all right now.

Website | Twitter

December 19, 2007 6:34 am
Photo678

Photo678

Automaton Tech

332 posts

KCMac wrote:

that's a good point.....but, i don't know how relevant that would be.....warbrain has been fairly active in the community, so his promotion to mod would seem more due to that, although it would be a great cover for the heist.....time will certainly tell smile

December 19, 2007 6:35 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Photo678 wrote:
KCMac wrote:

that's a good point.....but, i don't know how relevant that would be.....warbrain has been fairly active in the community, so his promotion to mod would seem more due to that, although it would be a great cover for the heist.....time will certainly tell smile

Again...no prior knowledge.  I had no clue what to expect tonight.

Website | Twitter

December 19, 2007 6:37 am
Photo678

Photo678

Automaton Tech

332 posts

MMMac Man wrote:
Warbrain wrote:
davedelong wrote:

Let me remind you we're ALL playing this game, Son. We're not your ego slaves. Put the damn thing up so we can get on with it or you're gonna find yourself talking to the walls. Jackass.

yes, i thought the same thing initially, but it is kind of their baby, as they did the leg work.....i'm sure what is on the dmg is something that will start the heist for the rest of us....so just be patient and let them work it out with the info that they have acquired from the pickup.....it would be more problematic for them to make sure we got all of the info that they received as some of it was spoken, some of it is copies of things, etc etc.

December 19, 2007 6:37 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Look guys, if you were out there and saw what we have and know what we have better than us, go ahead and work on it. But none of you do.  Only three of us finished the mission in the city.  We are the only ones who have any idea of what happened.  Give yourself 4 hours and 30 minutes...it's coming.

Website | Twitter

December 19, 2007 6:38 am
mfelty

mfelty

Gearhead

from Knoxville, TN
62 posts

Warbrain wrote:
KCMac wrote:

I have no background knowledge of anything.  I was just as in the dark as everyone was and is.  I'm holding onto the info as there are two of us who were out in the field tonight who have the info from tonight working on it.  I'm uploading it at 5 AM CST for everyone if we don't crack it.  Just be patient.  Let us work on it as we've been doing it all night.  We're in a better position than you all right now.

Well it seems that we all are going to be in the dark until the morning.  Looks like he and his fellow conspirator are going to have all the fun for now.

December 19, 2007 6:41 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

Maybe if we had more info on the clues & instructions given on the field, we could be of help...for now, Warbrain and the other heisters are the best options to solve this.

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

mfelty wrote:
Warbrain wrote:
KCMac wrote:

Well it seems that we all are going to be in the dark until the morning.  Looks like he and his fellow conspirator are going to have all the fun for now.

Until you understand that we did all the work for you all tonight, I can't convince you that we're working on it because we have all the info.  We're close to nothing now, I'm tempted to post it now.

Website | Twitter

huntercereal

huntercereal

Gearhead

95 posts

hmm... yeah I can understand the frustration. After all of the struggles recovering the drop, I only just now see that there was a handwritten message saying to go to a bookstore with seattle's best near victoria's secret? I knew exactly where that was, and if we knew of this note, you could have been tehre much sooner. But the contents of that note, or even its existence, was never communicated to us.

December 19, 2007 6:43 am
nre999

nre999

Automaton Tech

from B'ham WA
182 posts

At this point all we can do is to help with ideas and thoughts based on the situation.

So what do we have?

We have a .dmg that needs a password

We have envelopes that gave us TINAG (common ARG saying)

We have envelopes that gave us Delete This

We have the strange username (forgot what it is off the top of my head)

"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"  - all things being equal, the least complicated of all solutions is the preferable one (Occam's Razor).

December 19, 2007 6:45 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

huntercereal wrote:

hmm... yeah I can understand the frustration. After all of the struggles recovering the drop, I only just now see that there was a handwritten message saying to go to a bookstore with seattle's best near victoria's secret? I knew exactly where that was, and if we knew of this note, you could have been tehre much sooner. But the contents of that note, or even its existence, was never communicated to us.

we didn't get that note until we were there.  there wasn't much help coming from the IRC chat with the two Ys so we had to be given hints.

All of you need to stop nitpicking.  We did the work for you all tonight.  I'll gladly erase the DMG and burn the envelopes if you'd like so that we're ALL in the dark entirely.

Website | Twitter

December 19, 2007 6:45 am
MMMac Man

MMMac Man

Gearhead

from Hickory Street
75 posts

Warbrain wrote:

Look guys, if you were out there and saw what we have and know what we have better than us, go ahead and work on it. But none of you do.  Only three of us finished the mission in the city.  We are the only ones who have any idea of what happened.  Give yourself 4 hours and 30 minutes...it's coming.

You're the guy that had to be spoon fed clues and you want us to wait for you to figure this out on your own? Nah. You got nothin' except an ego problem that's getting worse by the day.

Mayor Mark Mediocre must go!

December 19, 2007 6:46 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

MMMac Man wrote:
Warbrain wrote:

You're the guy that had to be spoon fed clues and you want us to wait for you to figure this out on your own? Nah. You got nothin' except an ego problem that's getting worse by the day.

We have the information here!  We were given clues because we got lost ourselves and we weren't getting any help from anyone from here.

Website | Twitter

December 19, 2007 6:47 am
l0k1

l0k1

Automaton Tech

from oregon
274 posts

forgive me for being lame, but i wanted to verify ... did you try, for the password, "is not a game" with spaces in tact (and no quotes, obviously)?

..::01101001::01101101::01110100::..

December 19, 2007 6:50 am
huntercereal

huntercereal

Gearhead

95 posts

You were given a note at Borders on Chicago and Michigan, telling you to go to Chicago  and Michigan? Wow, no wonder this is so difficult. I give you guys credit, I really do. I left Chicago for sunny SoCal because I couldn't take the weather any longer. I know what you went through.

December 19, 2007 6:52 am
MacHeist Forums » The Front » Chicago recap

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?