Note from The Mole

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Note from The Mole
Wailord

Wailord

Automaton Tech

from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
221 posts

http://mhstatic.com/inbox/6038/mole.pdf

From the vault. BugZapper's from Microsoft, then? What do you guys get?

Putting it simply: Blue didn't get lucky!
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

MH1 VIP User!

December 28, 2007 4:06 am

Automaton Tech

from lacolhost
115 posts

According to meta data it was created on Mac OS X 10.5.1 with Pages by no other than Bill Skiller, or The Mole.

#include <unistd.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
void main(){int p=ntohl(0x6E696E65);int q[]={p,ntohl(0x7479),p,0xA};write(1,&q,0x10);}

December 28, 2007 4:12 am
atm153

atm153

Automaton Tech

from Lincoln, NE
140 posts

Wow.  Bill Skiller's a n00b if he left the meta in the file.  How obvious is that?

Go Green Monkeys!
Dropbox Referral Link

December 28, 2007 4:27 am
bensor

bensor

Automaton Tech

from Colorado
222 posts

December 28, 2007 4:48 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

So, the letter in the vault indicates the company Todd Dangerson works for is Microsoft and that Bugzapper emulates RDF through the "library that is called every 30 seconds he wrote Bill Skiller about.
Bugzapper = Microsoft = RDF

http://mhstatic.com/inbox/6038/mole.pdf

It’s worse than you thought. Microsoft has been
busy reverse engineering the stolen RDF
technology over the past few weeks, and has
successfully replicated the device’s functionality
via software on personal computers and media
players.
While Apple’s own use of the device was limited
to press events and several Jobs keynotes, there
is already an official go ahead from the top to
integrate Microsoft’s version of the RDF into its
software offerings. Builds of Vista, Zune OS, and
Microsoft Office for Mac exist within labs, and
have been shown to successfully influence users
into buying Microsoft products and spurning all
other competition.
Current plans call for distribution of this
software via a Mac anti-virus application,
modified to ‘infect’ users with RDF when
downloaded.
- The Mole

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 28, 2007 4:51 am
seeker

seeker

Tinkerer

from Z-töwn
27 posts

ANybody notice that if you go to billskinner.com you get to macheist but have to login again, even if you are logged in at macheist.com?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
— Groucho MARX

December 28, 2007 9:11 am

Automaton Tech

from lacolhost
115 posts

As I pointed out earlier the BugZapper box proposal shows a list of five different versions named Starter Home Professional Enterprise and Ultimate and that sound a lot like Microsoft.

But there's one thing I don't get. Microsoft is a software company. Even when I'm not sure I guess that there's a least someone at Microsoft that have som sort of knowledge about software development. Why do they need someone else to develop the app when they should be able to do it in house?

#include <unistd.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
void main(){int p=ntohl(0x6E696E65);int q[]={p,ntohl(0x7479),p,0xA};write(1,&q,0x10);}

December 28, 2007 9:34 am
nutznboltz2003

nutznboltz2003

Urchin

from Nebraska
9 posts

99 wrote:

As I pointed out earlier the BugZapper box proposal shows a list of five different versions named Starter Home Professional Enterprise and Ultimate and that sound a lot like Microsoft.

But there's one thing I don't get. Microsoft is a software company. Even when I'm not sure I guess that there's a least someone at Microsoft that have som sort of knowledge about software development. Why do they need someone else to develop the app when they should be able to do it in house?

Because they want the software to work...  wink

There are 10 types of people in the world.  Those that understand binary and those that do not.

December 28, 2007 1:24 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

It's a shell - the obviously can't just put out an anti-virus app for the Mac - they need somebody else to do it.

PM me | Twitter

December 28, 2007 1:50 pm
bensor

bensor

Automaton Tech

from Colorado
222 posts

jpdyson wrote:

It's a shell - the obviously can't just put out an anti-virus app for the Mac - they need somebody else to do it.

If it were Microsoft and the RDF got out they would be in big trouble.

December 28, 2007 3:05 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

bensor wrote:
jpdyson wrote:

If it were Microsoft and the RDF got out they would be in big trouble.

Exactly. It makes perfect sense - through a shell company, Microsoft has an app developed that's supposedly a bug/worm remover for the Mac. However, they have that company include a features into the app that will make scheduled calls to this mystery library file that supposedly checks out the system. It's obvious that the library is the RDFgen, reconfigured to distort the user's reality in such a way that they become loyal Microsoft users.

This is the plan for the RDFgen. The thief is none other than Microsoft. But, how did the RDFGen end up in the MacHeist vault?

PM me | Twitter

December 28, 2007 3:18 pm
strack

strack

Tinkerer

10 posts

How do we stop them?

December 28, 2007 5:09 pm
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

FYI, Microsoft isn't just a software company.  Microsoft Mouse, Keyboard, and other gaming peripherals, for example, are a part of Microsoft's harware offerings.

What? Another MacHeist adventure is upon us? Fantastic!

December 28, 2007 7:17 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

strack wrote:

How do we stop them?

That'll be (in part, at least) something to determine in the next heist. Wait and see, I'm afraid...

reesmaxwell wrote:

FYI, Microsoft isn't just a software company.  Microsoft Mouse, Keyboard, and other gaming peripherals, for example, are a part of Microsoft's harware offerings.

Yes. That is correct (if not obvious). Why do you point it out? Are you going somewhere with that?

PM me | Twitter

December 28, 2007 7:27 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

Free MS Office 2008?

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 28, 2007 7:55 pm
Maxinater

Maxinater

Automaton Tech

from USA
126 posts

seeker wrote:

ANybody notice that if you go to billskinner.com you get to macheist but have to login again, even if you are logged in at macheist.com?

This is easy to explain, MacHeist has many domains on their hands. All of the name serves point to one, if they domain hasn't been assigned yet, then it just points to the main domain (think mirror). Now your browser will think that it is a completely different site (because it is a different domain). Because your browser can't access the login cookie for macheist.com (as it is a different name and browsers lock access to other cookies for security purposes), it doesn't know that you are logged in on the other site.

So when you log into both of them, there is a cookie for macheist.com and billskiller.com. Each has its own php session id though.

December 28, 2007 8:25 pm

Automaton Tech

from lacolhost
115 posts

mjweb wrote:

Free MS Office 2008?

I doubt it. Maybe the test drive version.

#include <unistd.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>

December 28, 2007 9:20 pm
Miah

Miah

3,676 posts

I'd pass.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

December 28, 2007 11:09 pm
tronstr

tronstr

Tinkerer

from Vegas
41 posts

mjweb wrote:

Free MS Office 2008?

Yea, I would pass also. I try to keep my mac pure and MS would just muk it up.....

(notice, I said try)

December 30, 2007 5:54 pm
Neosmith

Neosmith

Automaton Tech

from Earth
124 posts

That would be sweet if that were the case.  Granted I don't like MS but until Numbers becomes better I will stick with MS Office.

Go Orange Team!

December 30, 2007 7:22 pm
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

Lol, if it's from Microsoft they need to change the box art. It looks to clean for a microsoft product wink.

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

December 30, 2007 11:28 pm
bensor

bensor

Automaton Tech

from Colorado
222 posts

Neosmith wrote:

That would be sweet if that were the case.  Granted I don't like MS but until Numbers becomes better I will stick with MS Office.

You didn't compile Bugzapper, did you?
(The RDF works.) wink

January 3, 2008 3:44 pm
mdesigner

mdesigner

Tinkerer

13 posts

Microsoft still doesn't get it!! Even with their MBU, supposedly mac guys!?

They need to look at Adobe, who makes an application that is identical on Mac or Win!!
(Not a Mac app and a similar Win app!!!) They focus on bringing the best new features to either platform.

MS just adds stuff, useful or not just so they can claim it is worth the price.
Apparently the new Office 2008 is taking aim at iWork '08, with it's easily-accessible, pre-designed templates.

Has any one been using Stone Design's software suite?

Something fishy around here

Aquarium credit to:
http://home.comcast.net/~jleblanc77/cube/

January 4, 2008 4:59 am
chewy5000

chewy5000

Sky Pirate

from Terra Australis
1,174 posts

mdesigner wrote:

Microsoft still doesn't get it!! Even with their MBU, supposedly mac guys!?

They need to look at Adobe, who makes an application that is identical on Mac or Win!!
(Not a Mac app and a similar Win app!!!) They focus on bringing the best new features to either platform.

MS just adds stuff, useful or not just so they can claim it is worth the price.
Apparently the new Office 2008 is taking aim at iWork '08, with it's easily-accessible, pre-designed templates.

Has any one been using Stone Design's software suite?

And between the time it gets out and the time the next one comes out (i cant wait that long) iWrk will gain more and more features, possibly new apps even.

mmm... Extra chewy

January 4, 2008 5:06 am
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Note from The Mole

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?