..::01101001::01101101::01110100::..

January 6, 2008 4:57 am
coumerelli

coumerelli

Automaton Tech

118 posts

l0k1 wrote:
oceansage wrote:

Okay. So we orientate it north ,so to speak, and then work it four times (MACE = 4) What is the next clue for picking a number?

if by "north" (i.e., with the innermost picture upright), you mean things look essentially like the following (when looking down on the closed fortune teller, and pardon my ascii "art"):

|        |        |
|  bow   | sword  |
|________|________|

the yes, i believe that's the current thinking.  question is, is the first move made by opening to the left-right or to the top-bottom, if you catch my drift?  in other words, should we end on I-II-III-IV or V-VI-VII-VIII?

sounds about right...but my question is, how's johnred and the gang? They've got to be laughing their collective kiesters off right about now. Man, if ANYone is having fun, it's them.

January 6, 2008 5:05 am
CraftGeek

CraftGeek

Automaton Tech

from Northern Colorado, USA, Earth
246 posts

mjweb wrote:

"perhaps the fortune teller won't actually become useful/come into play until heist 4 begins "

Bingo!

That would be the easy answer....

Don't anthropomorphize computers. They HATE that.

January 6, 2008 5:10 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

l0k1 wrote:
mjweb wrote:

Bingo!

awesome!  what did i win?

I don't mean to discount your excellent work. Congrats!

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

January 6, 2008 5:17 am
l0k1

l0k1

Automaton Tech

from oregon
274 posts

mjweb wrote:
l0k1 wrote:
mjweb wrote:

Bingo!

oh, i didn't mean to imply offense.  i apologise if that's how i came across.  i was trying to be silly.  maybe i should't try that on an empty stomach.

January 6, 2008 6:03 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

l0k1 wrote:
mjweb wrote:
l0k1 wrote:

oh, i didn't mean to imply offense.  i apologise if that's how i came across.  i was trying to be silly.  maybe i should't try that on an empty stomach.

Don't be silly. I'm complimenting your effort.

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

January 6, 2008 6:07 am
l0k1

l0k1

Automaton Tech

from oregon
274 posts

mjweb wrote:
l0k1 wrote:
mjweb wrote:

Don't be silly. I'm complimenting your effort.

*blush*
thanks!  sorry for missing the point.

January 6, 2008 6:15 am

xvelcropunkx

Urchin

from Dudley, MA
8 posts

There is a 99.999% chance that this has nothing to do with the FT/CC, it is more of a coincidence, but MACE, HAMMER, and BOW are all part of hip-hop artist's names. MACE = MA$E, HAMMER = MC HAMMER, and BOW = LIL BOW WOW. I know it is a stretch, but it was one of the first things that came to mind when I saw the thing. I just cant figure out SWORD. Although there is a such thing as a RAPPER SWORD dance.

Enjoy the absurdity.

- Dan

January 6, 2008 7:59 am
ruel

ruel

Tinkerer

from Texas
34 posts

I am utterly and completely lost.
Is anyone bored enough to help?

January 6, 2008 8:10 am

xvelcropunkx

Urchin

from Dudley, MA
8 posts

If I remember how to play the FT/CC game, you are supposed to count the amount of characters in the word and flip it that many times. Each of the words has a different, sequential length which might help get the desired result.

BOW = 3
MACE = 4
SWORD = 5
HAMMER = 6

Hope this helps?

January 6, 2008 8:19 am
cbarra

cbarra

Gearhead

from Brussels, Belgium
56 posts

No link between the words and the characters you can play in WoW or other RPG ? The first time I read the words it made me think of Lord of the Rings as the main characters have a Bow, a Sword, etc.

Mac fan since SE/30

January 6, 2008 9:09 am
zelsyus

zelsyus

Gearhead

from de
81 posts

l0k1 wrote:
jpdyson wrote:
DRC wrote:

Usually those things need a question or two with answers before the final answer is selected.

Exactly. We need to figure out what the questions are, or at the very least, the answers smile

btw, the photo provided by zelsyus doesn't look like what i ended up with when i folded the pdf.  i've got the words (sword, bow, hammer, mace) on the outside, the roman numerals on the inside flaps and then, of course, under those flaps are the other words (balls, of, pinions, for, balls, and, racks, with).

Yes. That's what i got too...
I defolded the fortune teller in many ways...
I took the picture to show how I came up with the sum up of the numbers.

But I think that we have to wait until the next mission.

January 6, 2008 10:08 am
lbtori

lbtori

Tinkerer

from Bristol - UK
10 posts

I can't see how the fortune teller can be useful unless we have another hint that would lead to the second number. As far as I remember from primary school you first move the thing a number of times equal to the number of letters in the chosen word (in our case one of BOW, MACE, HAMMER, SWORD) and then the other person picks one of the 4 numbers inside the FT and you move the thing again that many times. Then the person picks again and you read what's inside...

Assuming that the correct starting orientation is the one with the inside picture facing upwards, we still don't know if the first move should be upwards or sideways.
So if we take MACE as the starting word, we still need to work out the direction of the first move, the number for the second move and the number to open at the end.

And of course there's the mirrored roman numerals... If we mirrored just the numerals  so that the words stay where they are, the only real change would be that IV becomes VI and VI becomes IV. Which could be kind of a hint because these two appear in different sets and when mirrored they would be the odd one out.
Now we have I,II, III, IV together but it'd become I,II,III,VI.

Am I making any sense to anyone but myself?
Sorry for the length, I'm in a lab pretending to be working but not even my advisor is here so I'm happily procrastinating..

HI FLOOR! MAKE ME SAMMICH!

January 6, 2008 10:51 am
macfoo

macfoo

Automaton Tech

from Hell in a handbasket.
266 posts

If you take the numberset and print it out mirrored image - two things occur
1-4 are now clockwise instead of counter clockwise
and what appeared to be incorrect roman numerals now read
5-8 properly - also clockwise

If you leave the numbers "as is" 1-4 are counter clockwise and 5-8 (numbers skewed) are also counter clockwise...

Leave 1-4 the way it is but mirror image the 5-8 set and you end up with both sets still counter clockwise but the new 5-8 set looks like this

H       M
   6  5

7  8
B        S

if you mirror the words beneath (carry the words for the correct number over to the revised location)
5= racks
6 = for
7 = pinions
8 = with

Join me in finding a CURE!!!
Relay For Life

January 6, 2008 2:24 pm
l0k1

l0k1

Automaton Tech

from oregon
274 posts

lbtori wrote:

Assuming that the correct starting orientation is the one with the inside picture facing upwards, we still don't know if the first move should be upwards or sideways.  So if we take MACE as the starting word, we still need to work out the direction of the first move, the number for the second move and the number to open at the end.

exactly right.  this is probably a completely stupid thought on the first move, but if one opens the fortune teller sideways, then the numbers revealed are 1-4.  perhaps we're meant to start with the lower numbers revealed first (edit: my parenthetical conclusion here was wrong ... we'd end on 5-8 revealed)? 
edit-edit: the more i think about what i just wrote, the less useful it seems.  forget i said anything, in fact.

now i've got to try and think about macfoo's post, as it looks to have some interesting things going on.

(ps: yes, you're making total sense even though i'm not)

January 6, 2008 4:18 pm
CraftGeek

CraftGeek

Automaton Tech

from Northern Colorado, USA, Earth
246 posts

The Cootie Catcher is, by design, a randomizer. It produces a random result based on the input of the operator. Further randomization is induced by its orientation and first move. to produce a non random result, these things will need to be provided in clues also. Some have, maybe.

We are assuming that because the PDF folds into a Cootie Catcher, that it should be  used as one. Another possibility is that the Clue is/will be a simple number to word substitution which would bypass the problem of orientation and starting direction.

I can't remember, have there been any unused clues that are numbers 1 through eight? I am assuming that clues aren't reused of course...

Don't anthropomorphize computers. They HATE that.

January 6, 2008 4:24 pm
bowlingb

bowlingb

Automaton Tech

from underneath your bed
206 posts

l0k1 wrote:
oceansage wrote:

There is a correct way to orientate it and a direction to start the count after selecting the word (which we are assuming is "MACE") But where are the clues for the continuation of the sequence?

do we, at this point, know the correct orientation/start direction?  if not, i guess it's really maximally 8 possible combinations, so perhaps proceeding by trial and error is not out of the question ... but without more clues, i'm not sure how much trial and error would help.

You will know the correct orientation/start position once we have the clues.  The clues will be something like Sword,4,1.  There are only two starting positions (open East-West or open North-South).  If you switch five times (# of letters in sword) and 4 isn't visible, you need to start from the other orientation.  You keep doing this except for the last number, which will be a flap to look under. 
We will probably get several sets of these types of clues in various forms, but the order will spell out the order of the words.

January 6, 2008 4:50 pm
bowlingb

bowlingb

Automaton Tech

from underneath your bed
206 posts

xvelcropunkx wrote:

If I remember how to play the FT/CC game, you are supposed to count the amount of characters in the word and flip it that many times. Each of the words has a different, sequential length which might help get the desired result.

BOW = 3
MACE = 4
SWORD = 5
HAMMER = 6

Hope this helps?

It does.  When you make one of these things you try to choose words or colors or whatever that all have a different number of letters to help randomize the fortune.  It really only breaks down to odd/even and starting move though. (Do you open it east-west first or north-south first).  In our case we will have all of the moves at the start so you will be able to tell if you make a mistake because the second move won't be visible.  If that happens, start over with the other starting move.

January 6, 2008 4:55 pm
drharris

drharris

Gearhead

from Atlanta, GA
78 posts

But in the end, the only clue that would matter is the final number, which flap to look under. It makes no sense to "use" the fortune teller to get there. There are simply numbers associated with words under them, which are probably combined to form a url or something like that, if this is even a complate clue at all.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

January 6, 2008 4:55 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

cbarra wrote:

No link between the words and the characters you can play in WoW or other RPG ? The first time I read the words it made me think of Lord of the Rings as the main characters have a Bow, a Sword, etc.

Planet Draken
http://www.planetdrakan.com/info/cheats2.shtml

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

January 6, 2008 4:57 pm
oceansage

oceansage

Tinkerer

from Planet Earth
14 posts

I am thinking that the picture in the center is a key. I have consulted with my sons  who have been playing WoW since its inception and they can find no connection. They have never seen the graphic anywhere in the game. How do we find the source of the graphic? I have spent many hours in Google images looking, using the FT words, but may not be using the right keywords. There is more to this graphic than just dressing for the fortune teller.

“When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute - and it’s longer than any hour. That’s relativity.” –Albert Einstein

January 6, 2008 9:32 pm
squawky

squawky

Big Game Hunter

from Miskatonic University
775 posts

Was thinking much the same and spent some time yesterday looking, but no luck -- I was thinking they might represent characters from Alice or Through the Looking Glass, but couldn't come up with anything (nor anything from American McGee's Alice or Starship Titanic, which they reminded me of).

IRC came up with Faces in Places as a suggestion, but didn't have any luck with that kind of search either.

Thinking we're really on hold until we find/get another clue -- without a series of numbers to correlate with words (or words to numbers - perhaps the next safe code?), there's little we can do.  These fortune teller things aren't all that complicated and not at all random (the same number gets you the same fortune every time).

It was amusing to do a bunch of google searches looking for similar images, though smile

"I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues." -- Duke Ellington

January 6, 2008 9:42 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

oceansage wrote:

I am thinking that the picture in the center is a key. I have consulted with my sons  who have been playing WoW since its inception and they can find no connection. They have never seen the graphic anywhere in the game. How do we find the source of the graphic? I have spent many hours in Google images looking, using the FT words, but may not be using the right keywords. There is more to this graphic than just dressing for the fortune teller.

Probably nothing but in case you missed it.
http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopi … 844#p87844

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

January 6, 2008 9:59 pm
bowlingb

bowlingb

Automaton Tech

from underneath your bed
206 posts

l0k1 wrote:
jpdyson wrote:
DRC wrote:

Usually those things need a question or two with answers before the final answer is selected.

Exactly. We need to figure out what the questions are, or at the very least, the answers smile

and, possibly, the correct orientation in which to hold the "fortune teller" (or cootie catcher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cootie_catcher) and which direction to open it first  ...

btw, the photo provided by zelsyus doesn't look like what i ended up with when i folded the pdf.  i've got the words (sword, bow, hammer, mace) on the outside, the roman numerals on the inside flaps and then, of course, under those flaps are the other words (balls, of, pinions, for, balls, and, racks, with).

Mine ended up looking like this:
http://thebowlings.org/MacHeist_Images/PICT0004.jpg

January 6, 2008 10:51 pm
majken

majken

Automaton Tech

from Los Angeles
181 posts

Does anyone see any hidden clues (like the NORA drawings in the NYT) in the picture?

Does anyone else see what could be letters in the shadings of the faces?

GO TEAM ORANGE!!!!!

January 6, 2008 11:25 pm
coolmaui

coolmaui

Tinkerer

49 posts

majken wrote:

Does anyone see any hidden clues (like the NORA drawings in the NYT) in the picture?

Does anyone else see what could be letters in the shadings of the faces?

Yea, I saw them too, but just dismissed them as random lines...

..BUT try dragging one of the pictures on the main page to the right or down all the way off!

...but alas, it is probably just a programming anomaly that is causing it.

### [Still a] Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ####

January 7, 2008 12:27 am
docchaos

docchaos

Gearhead

from Germany
57 posts

Hi, I'm pretty new to MacHeist, but maybe I can help anyway.

coolmaui: That's not even an anomaly that's how it's supposed to work.

About the ft: I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but the "guy" on the left is just an I-Beam with nuts & bolts as eyes and nose and a notch as the mouth. He seems to remind me of something, but I just can't remember what.
Although I tried it, I wasn't able to find a similar "pattern" in the left guy.

signature is on vacation

January 7, 2008 1:00 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

docchaos wrote:

Hi, I'm pretty new to MacHeist, but maybe I can help anyway.

coolmaui: That's not even an anomaly that's how it's supposed to work.

About the ft: I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but the "guy" on the left is just an I-Beam with nuts & bolts as eyes and nose and a notch as the mouth. He seems to remind me of something, but I just can't remember what.
Although I tried it, I wasn't able to find a similar "pattern" in the left guy.

The guy on the left does look very industrial. The only thing the guy on the right reminds me of is a veggie tales character or something, and I'm sure that's a coincidence smile

PM me | Twitter

January 7, 2008 1:12 pm
ddemeo

ddemeo

Automaton Tech

from Massachusetts
336 posts

Has anyone searched facesinplaces . blogspot . com yet?

Dawn | Dawn's Recipes

January 7, 2008 1:17 pm
ddemeo

ddemeo

Automaton Tech

from Massachusetts
336 posts

Just found one.  Wish I could post proper links already, but here:

facesinplaces . blogspot . com / 2007 / 06 / bumper-face . html

Dawn | Dawn's Recipes

January 7, 2008 1:26 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

BRILLIANT! It's hard to believe something so old is relevant here, but the resemblance is absolutely perfect. You're on to something.

PM me | Twitter

January 7, 2008 1:31 pm
ddemeo

ddemeo

Automaton Tech

from Massachusetts
336 posts

But for the life of me I can't find Boob-Head...LOL!

Dawn | Dawn's Recipes

January 7, 2008 1:34 pm
zelsyus

zelsyus

Gearhead

from de
81 posts

ddemeo wrote:

Just found one.  Wish I could post proper links already, but here:

facesinplaces . blogspot . com / 2007 / 06 / bumper-face . html

Amazing find!

January 7, 2008 1:39 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Beam-head was posted Monday, 18 June 2007 - perhaps the date is significant.

PM me | Twitter

January 7, 2008 1:49 pm
michalzadkowski

michalzadkowski

Tinkerer

from Trójmiasto, Poland
13 posts

I can't really find the second one in here, but maybe I'm not looking right.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93123479@N … 050733003/

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

January 7, 2008 2:07 pm
ddemeo

ddemeo

Automaton Tech

from Massachusetts
336 posts

No, I checked that flickr feed too.  I didn't see it.

Dawn | Dawn's Recipes

January 7, 2008 2:11 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

been digging through this one a while, nothing yet...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/facesinplaces/

also i starting to wonder if we're not meant to figure out where we might find the image on the right. it might not have been taken from one of these pre-existing images. instead of finding the picture, in other words, we're meant to find the thing it represents.

PM me | Twitter

January 7, 2008 2:12 pm
ddemeo

ddemeo

Automaton Tech

from Massachusetts
336 posts

January 7, 2008 2:19 pm
ddemeo

ddemeo

Automaton Tech

from Massachusetts
336 posts

guess I *can* post links now...should have tried that earlier!

Dawn | Dawn's Recipes

January 7, 2008 2:20 pm
ddemeo

ddemeo

Automaton Tech

from Massachusetts
336 posts

I don't know if it's significant or not, but the guy on the left was found on page 71.  The one on the right was from page 48.

Dawn | Dawn's Recipes

January 7, 2008 2:23 pm
zelsyus

zelsyus

Gearhead

from de
81 posts

That's just amazing...

So, both characters exist as pictures.

I think it's like jp said: the purpose of these things is interesting too.

January 7, 2008 2:26 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

what the heck is that second thing, anyway?

PM me | Twitter

January 7, 2008 2:33 pm
zelsyus

zelsyus

Gearhead

from de
81 posts

jpdyson wrote:

what the heck is that second thing, anyway?

Looks like something that's on two sides. And in the middle is a bowl. Like a burner port.

But it looks to much opened for something like that...

January 7, 2008 2:36 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

So, in review, the two objects are both "faces in places" or objects in real life which look like faces. The image on the left, "bumper face" was taken 20 Feb 07 but uploaded 19 Feb 07 (obviously not correct). The other iron face was taken 13 Mar 07 but uploaded 25 Sept 07. How do they relate to the fortune teller and the other items on it? What do they have in common?

PM me | Twitter

January 7, 2008 2:43 pm
macfoo

macfoo

Automaton Tech

266 posts

Location?

Another thought would be tools of a trade. We know the one is the back end of a steamroller. I am not sure what the one on the right is exactly, but it looks iron and rusty (similar to what you'd see at a construction site).

Btw - AWESOME find!!!

Relay For Life

January 7, 2008 3:02 pm
lbtori

lbtori

Tinkerer

from Bristol - UK
10 posts

maybe "faces in places" is the hint from the two faces?
the dates seem a bit random.. unless maybe they have to do with the numbers on the FT or define some sort of order?

HI FLOOR! MAKE ME SAMMICH!

January 7, 2008 3:05 pm
zelsyus

zelsyus

Gearhead

from de
81 posts

jpdyson wrote:

So, in review, the two objects are both "faces in places" or objects in real life which look like faces. The image on the left, "bumper face" was taken 20 Feb 07 but uploaded 19 Feb 07 (obviously not correct). The other iron face was taken 13 Mar 07 but uploaded 25 Sept 07. How do they relate to the fortune teller and the other items on it? What do they have in common?

Yes. The dates are always changeable and can not be trusted... ;-)
[If you upload scanned pictures you can add the date manually.]

And maybe the second pic could be something like a wagon used in mines or like on rails.

January 7, 2008 3:13 pm
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

i'd just like to jump in and let everyone know that us artists/illustrators use the internet as a reference tool, Flickr being one of the best on the web.

if you were to commission me to produce an illustration of some sort of mechanical faces then the first thing I'd do would be to 'google' mechanical faces.

I'm feeling old

January 7, 2008 3:23 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

artist-illustrator.net wrote:

i'd just like to jump in and let everyone know that us artists/illustrators use the internet as a reference tool, Flickr being one of the best on the web.

if you were to commission me to produce an illustration of some sort of mechanical faces then the first thing I'd do would be to 'google' mechanical faces.

implying that the reference to faces in places is random and is not a clue? possible... but this is macheist. anything could be a clue

PM me | Twitter

January 7, 2008 3:32 pm
macfoo

macfoo

Automaton Tech

266 posts

they aren't faces - it's the retro user interface to the newly designed RDF

Relay For Life

January 7, 2008 3:46 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Fortune Teller from Behind the Painting

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?