Forums

Mission Heist #3 *Spoilers*

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Mission Heist #3 *Spoilers*
Corvana

Corvana

Tinkerer

from Greater Bostonia, MA
44 posts

Am I the only one consistently frustrated by the gesture pad's bugginess in Firefox?  Every mission, I solve the thing in Firefox, then have to switch to Safari just for the gesture.  It's getting annoying.

Ein jeder Engel ist schrecklich.

March 21, 2009 6:10 pm
Trail Walker

Trail Walker

Tinkerer

18 posts

Tracing the road map in one direction on the dots below the safe got message "Invalid Gesture" but opening My Loot showed Scribbles and the $2 Bundle Discount.  About 30 minutes later, I traced the same roads but in a different order --- got animated image of safe door opening and was transferred to My Loot.

March 21, 2009 6:19 pm
TauLepton

TauLepton

Tinkerer

16 posts

Corvana wrote:

Am I the only one consistently frustrated by the gesture pad's bugginess in Firefox?  Every mission, I solve the thing in Firefox, then have to switch to Safari just for the gesture.  It's getting annoying.

You're not the only one. Unrelated: I've been using Safari more often because the Polyvore clipper doesn't work with FF.

My Avatar is Scratch & Sniff

March 21, 2009 6:31 pm
TRezendes

TRezendes

Urchin

from Lancaster, PA
5 posts

Awesome; I finally finished a whole mission without any help from the forums! It's interesting how personal experience lends itself to these missions. I might never have worked out the phone number on my own if my father wasn't in the Coast Guard. As soon as I saw the flags, my mind went to the nautical flag alphabet. Someone who had never been exposed to that, though, might have been entirely stuck. I love the range of knowledge that is required to solve these missions. Even if you don't have to know all the details of a particular subject, you at least have to know something exists so you can Google it.

All that to say, I'm having a lot of fun with these. I'll be sorry when the heist is over.

March 21, 2009 6:47 pm
Chuckyew

Chuckyew

Urchin

1 posts

This is the first mission I've completed.

Thanks to all for your insight and work.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

March 21, 2009 7:15 pm
rick9498

rick9498

Tinkerer

from Oak Park, IL
12 posts

This is one of the coolest heists so far.  Keypads, semaphore, encoded paintings, puzzles, and the phone call was a nice twist.

They have vilified me, they have crucified me; yes, they have even criticized me.
-Richard J. Daley (1902-1976)

March 21, 2009 7:19 pm
jutendouji

jutendouji

Automaton Tech

from Santiago, Chile
439 posts

This mission was probably the best one of them all. I'll have to say though, what the hell is up with the US/Canada Only telephone number? You guys should know that a LOT of the people in your community aren't from the US or Canada, and not everyone has access to SkypeOut and the like hmm

We are MEAN, we are LEAN, we are GREEN (and extremely ripe) -- GREEN MONKEYS!
Follow me on Twitter! | <RandyWalker> YETZ! -- 15/3/2009, Never Forget
MacHeist Referral (Use it if you like me!): http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/88908/

March 21, 2009 7:32 pm
agp1

agp1

Tinkerer

20 posts

? I am very thankful for spoilers or I'd never finish

March 21, 2009 7:40 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

Wow, I got all the way to the time machine upload without reading this, but after that I needed to go through the thread.  That was one amazing heist!

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

March 21, 2009 7:50 pm
waie

waie

Urchin

from San Diego
5 posts

I need help with the blocks

Fear is the mind-killer.

March 21, 2009 7:56 pm
anwu

anwu

Urchin

from the Netherlands
8 posts

This was REALLY a great mission with too much diversity. Thanks all for the help were needed! Thanks Directorate for a great experience -again- and great lOOt.

March 21, 2009 8:16 pm
esperalba

esperalba

Urchin

from IL
1 posts

Got it

May the line shine on you...

March 21, 2009 8:18 pm
mactaxus

mactaxus

Tinkerer

10 posts

Got it too, late, but done. Thanks all folks!

March 21, 2009 8:27 pm
kmaclover

kmaclover

Urchin

6 posts

lost!

March 21, 2009 8:36 pm

firmtofu

Urchin

2 posts

sweet heist

March 21, 2009 8:43 pm

yeya23la

Urchin

4 posts

just solved it!!! very exciting!
i got istock, $2 dollar discount, and scribbles.
the racing one was already there when i signed in.
anyone get anything different?

March 21, 2009 8:52 pm

ska_hippie88

Urchin

1 posts

This was the first heist I tried without looking at spoilers first, and damn was it hard! It was a fun mental floss kind of experience none the less, and I'm glad I did it!

Side note from a feminist - In the debriefing, was it really necessary to bring in that random dude to drive the car? She's supposed to be a secret agent of sorts, shouldn't she be able to handle a mid-speed Steve Jobs chase?

March 21, 2009 9:00 pm
dblbull4me

dblbull4me

Urchin

5 posts

images linked me to spoilers forum ?

March 21, 2009 9:05 pm
ndevito1

ndevito1

Automaton Tech

from New York
101 posts

wow, really interesting Heist! Great job guys.

A Signature.
http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/107678/

March 21, 2009 9:09 pm
dblbull4me

dblbull4me

Urchin

5 posts

yeya23la wrote:

just solved it!!! very exciting!
i got istock, $2 dollar discount, and scribbles.
the racing one was already there when i signed in.
anyone get anything different?

yah i got istock and the racing

March 21, 2009 9:49 pm

potcherboy

Urchin

1 posts

What is the right order of entering the gestures at the end? I think I've tried them all!

March 21, 2009 9:53 pm

Oszo

Tinkerer

14 posts

Thanks everyone for the hints on this. Nicely done.

March 21, 2009 10:02 pm
Azurite

Azurite

Gearhead

from Davis, CA
93 posts

I'm confused. How did 65 = A? I understand that we got the Romeo 1 and so on equaling colors on the Mondrian art piece, and that G is not Green, but Gray. But what do we do with the Mondrian? Do we put the letters in it in alphabetical order, and then find the first red box, the second blue box, etc., going vertically?

▛▞▞▟ Tweet @the_sweet! ▙▚▚▜

March 21, 2009 11:22 pm

itingraphix

Urchin

2 posts

this one is hurting my brain...I figured out the first part...but I have no clue what to do with the two images I'm given in the urgent briefing.

March 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Paulyboy

Tinkerer

11 posts

llblue wrote:

Not quite. After you are done folding you park map, use the thick white lines to make the gesture, beginning on the lower left of the screen, peaking at the upper right, before coming back around and ending at the upper right of the screen. Everything goes blank, the safe opens and you (or I) can finally sleep.

Forgive my ignorance. I'm new to this. But I can't for the life of me figure out what to do with the symbol at the end. Gestures? Thick white lines?  Lower left of the screen? What screen?  Where? I just don't understand what I'm suppose to do with this symbol. And boy was that puzzle hard. Needed help on around half of it.

Thanks.

-PN

March 22, 2009 12:35 am

Paulyboy

Tinkerer

11 posts

Paulyboy wrote:
llblue wrote:

Not quite. After you are done folding you park map, use the thick white lines to make the gesture, beginning on the lower left of the screen, peaking at the upper right, before coming back around and ending at the upper right of the screen. Everything goes blank, the safe opens and you (or I) can finally sleep.

Forgive my ignorance. I'm new to this. But I can't for the life of me figure out what to do with the symbol at the end. Gestures? Thick white lines?  Lower left of the screen? What screen?  Where? I just don't understand what I'm suppose to do with this symbol. And boy was that puzzle hard. Needed help on around half of it.

Thanks.

-PN

NM. Figured it out. The thing on the front page. :-)

-PN

March 22, 2009 12:39 am
Cyberpawz

Cyberpawz

Gearhead

51 posts

It was a good heist, the only thing I can say is that although at the end it was supposed to be Steve Jobs, the shoes were a little off on what he normally wears.

I actually met Steve Jobs in Cupertino, at the Mac campus, actually I almost walked right into him, we spoke for a few seconds then he went on his way. (He had a meal from the sushi bar, and was talking to someone about the new Mac OS at the time)

It was 85° out, he had on black shoes, dark blue pants, and a black turtleneck and he wasn't sweating at all.

Nice guy as long as you don't say you are in sales... long story wink

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

-Albert Einstein

March 22, 2009 12:44 am
jthrisme

jthrisme

Urchin

6 posts

Great, iBeforePre works, just look the location of the letters on your phone keyboard and click the same location of the blank board.

 Enjoy Green Team
THE TRUTH IS OUT OF THERE

March 22, 2009 3:48 am
kmartin80

kmartin80

Urchin

from Washington, DC
3 posts

got through the puzzle, now got some fish tree star photogram lookin thing...

March 22, 2009 2:51 pm
TrevorML

TrevorML

Urchin

6 posts

Hi folks... came in late on this one... busy weekend... got two of the apps... but how does one get the iStock app... been reading here but unfortunately probably missed it... soooooooo sleepy at the moment :-)

March 22, 2009 3:00 pm

Shellback

Urchin

4 posts

The box puzzle was fun to solve without any help.

The Statue and Wings, well that is another topic.

Ready to punch out my monitor.

Finding time from family, work, 2nd job, for puzzles. It is a puzzling situation.

March 22, 2009 3:40 pm
kmartin80

kmartin80

Urchin

from Washington, DC
3 posts

the words on the statue have to mean something...i translated borra mio from spanish and got 'flock mine'... you have to break up the words.

i didn't get nuthin for the next word, tho...and i have no idea what flock mine would mean.

March 22, 2009 3:59 pm
scorpix

scorpix

Urchin

from Croatia
6 posts

cool, thx

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

March 22, 2009 5:16 pm
muir

muir

Urchin

from UK
2 posts

i've been playing about with the images in PhotoShop for the last ten minutes and haven't come up with anything yet... I'll keep trying and post what I come up with...

March 22, 2009 7:12 pm
bdegrande

bdegrande

Sky Pirate

from Hoboken, NJ
1,241 posts

ska_hippie88 wrote:

This was the first heist I tried without looking at spoilers first, and damn was it hard! It was a fun mental floss kind of experience none the less, and I'm glad I did it!

Side note from a feminist - In the debriefing, was it really necessary to bring in that random dude to drive the car? She's supposed to be a secret agent of sorts, shouldn't she be able to handle a mid-speed Steve Jobs chase?

I think that's grasping at straws a bit. She can handle planting iPhone bombs and hacking something (or someone) to bloody bits.  I doubt than any of us think that driving is beyond her capabilities, it's more like having a driver allows a faster getaway.

If you are a Dexter fan, check out The Dexter Cast podcast - iTunes  or www.thedextercast.com
Dropbox referral - We each get an extra 500MB

March 22, 2009 7:44 pm
abn3566

abn3566

Tinkerer

14 posts

Its all based off of these letters:
Q     W     E

R     T      Y

U     I       O

A     P      S

Every ten characters are recorded and checked against the known code. Now we just have to figure it out!

March 22, 2009 8:19 pm
markmagoo

markmagoo

Tinkerer

from Pennsylvania
11 posts

From overlaying the overlay image over the 6th image in the gallery the and flipping it horizontally the points lined up. The tree lined up over South Point where Liberation Park is which lead me to liberationpark.com. In the HIstorical Society link there's a link for an image leading to liberationpark.com/limitations

not sure what to do from there

The best things in life are free
but apparently we have to rip out our hair for them

March 23, 2009 5:43 am
triviallytravis

triviallytravis

Tinkerer

from Everywhere
10 posts

Thanks for the help guys smile  Nice work!

---
triviallytravis

March 23, 2009 6:28 am
markmagoo

markmagoo

Tinkerer

from Pennsylvania
11 posts

Thank You ShaunGreiner!!!!

March 23, 2009 6:58 am
markmagoo

markmagoo

Tinkerer

from Pennsylvania
11 posts

And SRC!!!
ABSTRACT ERA was the password for the statue.
After I got the overprint.pdf I opened both that and the map in Photoshop and put the overprint over the map then "folded" the map according to the lines... "Enjoy your loot"

That was actually an awesome mission. I was actually able to do most of it on my own and picked up the final hint with the help of basically two people. Great work everyone!

March 23, 2009 7:22 am
gungadin

gungadin

Automaton Tech

from Around the Puget Sound
158 posts

Any ORANGES need help?

Heck, I know crapola but we are 50,000 points down.

I still don't know what was in that dang bottle under the statue.

Any orangish types that are not using the tan machine and have questions?

(May not know the A but I can find a Q.)

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning." Douglas Adams

March 23, 2009 7:56 am
gungadin

gungadin

Automaton Tech

from Around the Puget Sound
158 posts

Proud to be a pickpocket.

Really, what was in the bottle. i am not ashamed at needing to use the "forum" . Heck when I got a hint, I immediately zoomed out to check it out. My first hint was just that because I have a 13" Macbook I could not see what everyone else saw on that paper in the folder. Soon as i read that someone else couldn't see what the crowd saw I went back and changed my desk top and VOILA! Hah! Even me a real newbie at this stuff could solve most of it. Then I knew I needed to find a dang fork. Could not find it anywhere. Came back and "cheated" ...

Do I feel bad? Heck no! I did better than I ever did. Found a lot of stuff faster than the pros...slower than others - what ever.

I did like learning how to semaphore. Even if it was with a weird looking angel. next ship I am on I will try to impress my coworkers with my "knowledge".

I will no doubt flame again.

PS Any "Oranges" I will help if I can.

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning." Douglas Adams

March 23, 2009 8:10 am
TrevorML

TrevorML

Urchin

6 posts

when does the ISTOCK app come into the Loot... thought I had done everything but still haven't got it yet

March 23, 2009 11:56 am
o2lame4ne1@hotmail.com

o2lame4ne1@hotmail.com

Urchin

9 posts

The phone buttons were easy, the blocks were fun. But the second phase of MH3 has me baffled this morning....

March 23, 2009 1:40 pm
bitflung

bitflung

Urchin

from MA, USA
5 posts

grr i cant get the blocks - but for ibeforepre just look at your standard telephone number pad and type in liek you're calling 1800-ibeforepre

-- i miss beos --

March 23, 2009 2:02 pm
chinobar

chinobar

Gearhead

from Sweden
60 posts

Brutally hard heist, awesome though! smile

Thanks everyone for getting me through the tricky parts! wink

March 23, 2009 5:14 pm
Pistol

Pistol

Urchin

1 posts

franksflagshipfishfactory.com

March 23, 2009 7:24 pm
brunocasarini

brunocasarini

Tinkerer

from Itajubá, Minas Gerais, Brazil
11 posts

TrevorML wrote:

when does the ISTOCK app come into the Loot... thought I had done everything but still haven't got it yet

I want to know that as well. iStock haven't shown up in my loot yet.

March 23, 2009 8:14 pm
skylineproject

skylineproject

Tinkerer

13 posts

There is no new briefing for me.
Help!
I can't find iStock either.

Go Ireland! Go Green! Go MN!

March 23, 2009 9:57 pm
mmorrison

mmorrison

Tinkerer

10 posts

thnx

Go Orange Team!

March 23, 2009 10:56 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Mission Heist #3 *Spoilers*

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?