Wolfram/Alpha

MacHeist Forums » Team HQ » Wolfram/Alpha
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

from a frog flu resistant land.
1,904 posts

btester92 wrote: 

Has anyone else been using this? It's absolutely insane. It's kind of like True Knowledge, but it's based on data that's calculated by 4 or 5 super computers, and it's very accurate.

For example, type in any web address, and it will give you the location of the host, as well as the number of hits per day, individual users that visit per day, and a ton of other data.

Type in your birthday, and it will tell you exactly how old you are to the day. Or you can type in "weather (put your birthdate here)" and it will show you several graphs for the weather on that day, as well as the high temperature and the conditions.

Type in any chemical formula, and it gives you the molecular weight, density, 2D and 3D structures, and a ton of other information that I don't understand. Or, type in a DNA sequence and it will tell you which chromosomes you can find that sequence on and what proteins the sequence codes for.

They have a whole page with examples of the data it can process, and it's really incredible. I highly suggest you try it out:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

Last edited by btester92 (Today 6:47 pm)

I don't know if this will help the more technically minded amongst us for future heists but I thought I should bring it to their attention.

smile From a spam free, orange team, land smile

May 16, 2009 8:29 pm
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Chicago
2,797 posts

Help by reposting it in our forums? Interesting tactic...in any case, teams are practically dead until the points are flowing again.

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

May 17, 2009 2:31 am
yomcat

yomcat

Automaton Tech

from New Zealand
137 posts

*cough*spam*cough*

ygn

May 18, 2009 7:14 pm
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Chicago
2,797 posts

yomcat wrote:

*cough*spam*cough*

I certainly would not call this spam, as andys53 has contributed widely to the forums and has shown no signs of spamming. I am just not sure what he intends to accomplish by replicating an existing thread in the HQ.

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

May 18, 2009 8:15 pm
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

1,904 posts

blue_fireball_eater wrote:
yomcat wrote:

*cough*spam*cough*

I certainly would not call this spam, as andys53 has contributed widely to the forums and has shown no signs of spamming. I am just not sure what he intends to accomplish by replicating an existing thread in the HQ.

I certainly wouldn't spam. A green team member correctly put it in the lounge using it's title but gave no explanation of what it was. My reasoning was that it might not have attracted the attention of the orange team whizz kids in it's original positioning.

I figured if I posted it in our own forum more orange members might take note. No other reason behind it.  smile

May 18, 2009 8:31 pm
Shadedjon

Shadedjon

Automaton Tech

from Minn
327 posts

I think a bit more spam would liven up this forum wink
Anyways, I tried it (wolfram) and I think it is kind of random. Might as well just use google smile

Proudly Orange
http://thememymac.com/

May 18, 2009 9:18 pm
bear912

bear912

Automaton Tech

from inside your mind
213 posts

andys53 wrote:

My reasoning was that it might not have attracted the attention of the orange team whizz kids in it's original positioning.

Thanks, andy53. In a slightly conceited manner, I hope that I might belong to that group... tongue Anyway, checked it out last night, and like what I saw, but didn't see much. There's a lot of work left to be done on it, I think, before it becomes *drop-dead* compelling, but it's definitely quite an impressive start.

Steam | Xfire | Twitter

May 18, 2009 10:09 pm
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

1,904 posts

bear912 wrote:
andys53 wrote:

My reasoning was that it might not have attracted the attention of the orange team whizz kids in it's original positioning.

Thanks, andy53. In a slightly conceited manner, I hope that I might belong to that group... tongue Anyway, checked it out last night, and like what I saw, but didn't see much. There's a lot of work left to be done on it, I think, before it becomes *drop-dead* compelling, but it's definitely quite an impressive start.

Well, if it's brought it to the attention of just 1 person it was worth doing. Though hopefully more may notice it.

Now you owe me one when I get stuck on MH4!  LOL  tongue

P.S. You need some ice-cubes for that penguin! Maybe change the orange for a glass of orange with ice cubes in it?

May 19, 2009 9:14 am
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

1,904 posts

Shadedjon wrote:

I think a bit more spam would liven up this forum wink
Anyways, I tried it (wolfram) and I think it is kind of random. Might as well just use google smile

Write to @jpdyson (see his new thread in "the lounge") LOL

May 19, 2009 9:16 am
gandalf1981

gandalf1981

Tinkerer

44 posts

andys53 wrote:

btester92 wrote: Has anyone else been using this? It's absolutely insane. It's kind of like True Knowledge, but it's based on data that's calculated by 4 or 5 super computers, and it's very accurate.

For example, type in any web address, and it will give you the location of the host, as well as the number of hits per day, individual users that visit per day, and a ton of other data.

well I typed in my web site and all I got was

"Computation timed out."

PAH!

No other team is both a colour and a fruit.
We will be victorious!!

Thanks to my friends I now have the KoingoUtilityPack!
WOOT!

June 15, 2009 5:46 pm
MacHeist Forums » Team HQ » Wolfram/Alpha

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?