Forums

SugarSync free 2 GB now with 500 MB extra

MacHeist Forums » Team HQ » SugarSync free 2 GB now with 500 MB extra
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

SugarSync gives a the moment (ends 15 July) 500 MB extra on top of their 2 GB free account if you use a referral link. Here is mine if you want to give it a try:

Yes, it is as with Dropbox even the one you refer gets 500 MB.
Unlike Dropbox during this time you can earn unlimited amount of bonus space
Yes, it is like Dropbox - backup, sync and share

Why use SugarSync instead of Dropbox?
I have no idea! wink
I have installed it to give it a try - easy as it's free
If you are using most of your free space at Dropbox and can't/will not upgrade and pay it can be a complement.

UPDATE
Offer with 500 MB extra on free accounts and 10 GB on paid is extended to 31 August

Edit: Removed the ref link - I got mine. Do use someone further down

Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free

June 20, 2009 11:17 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,890 posts

The deal-killer for me is that SugarSync's free account will only sync two computers; I work with a number of machines so it's important that I be able to sync files across multiple machines.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

June 20, 2009 3:18 pm
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Thanks rampancy!
Good to know

That's 1-0 to Dropbox when you sit with more than two computers

June 20, 2009 4:15 pm
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Chicago
2,797 posts

rampancy wrote:

The deal-killer for me is that SugarSync's free account will only sync two computers; I work with a number of machines so it's important that I be able to sync files across multiple machines.

+1
I am too lazy to even transfer anything to my boot camp partition, thanks to Dropbox.

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

June 20, 2009 4:18 pm
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

blue_fireball_eater wrote:
rampancy wrote:

+1
I am too lazy to even transfer anything to my boot camp partition, thanks to Dropbox.

Don't get it.
Why should you transfer it to your boot camp partition?

I have found 1+ with SugarSync (not that it is 1-1 yet ...)

You don't need to
• move files/folders to a special folder
• backup/sync all files/folders in a folder

June 20, 2009 11:15 pm
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

UPDATE
Offer with 500 MB extra on free accounts and 10 GB on paid when using referral is extended to 31 August

My referral

Edit: Removed the ref link - I got mine. Do use someone further down

July 16, 2009 12:30 pm
tayker

tayker

Gearhead

from Fredericksburg, VA
75 posts

SugarSync's 2 machine limitation sucks - Mozy has a 2 machine limit for free accounts too.

I subscribe to Dropbox and have a free Syncplicity account. Downside for the free Dropbox is it doesn't encrypt data. However, Syncplicity encrypts free and paid subs.

I'm also playing with SpiderOak, but it's more of a "meh" type service, and not at all what I was expecting.

Throwing hand grenades at ninjas

July 17, 2009 11:53 am
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Chicago
2,797 posts

tayker wrote:

SugarSync's 2 machine limitation sucks - Mozy has a 2 machine limit for free accounts too.

I subscribe to Dropbox and have a free Syncplicity account. Downside for the free Dropbox is it doesn't encrypt data. However, Syncplicity encrypts free and paid subs.

I'm also playing with SpiderOak, but it's more of a "meh" type service, and not at all what I was expecting.

My (vague) understanding is that your data on Dropbox is encrypted with AES-256 and that all transfers are over SSL. I am not sure what else you would be referring to here, but I would interested to find out.

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

July 17, 2009 2:21 pm
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

The problm with Syncplicity is they withdraw the Mac Client.
http://blog.syncplicity.com/2009/07/09/ … ithdrawal/
Very sad news!

July 19, 2009 3:50 pm
tayker

tayker

Gearhead

from Fredericksburg, VA
75 posts

blue_fireball_eater wrote:

My (vague) understanding is that your data on Dropbox is encrypted with AES-256 and that all transfers are over SSL. I am not sure what else you would be referring to here, but I would interested to find out.

I thought that too, but I found a page on their site a few months ago that said only free account connections are not encrypted. I can't find that page at the moment, so maybe it's a recent change?

As for whoever mentioned the Syncplicity beta being pulled, I just found out about that after I made my post.

Throwing hand grenades at ninjas

July 20, 2009 11:53 am
milxar

milxar

Automaton Tech

from Ukraine
130 posts

July 31, 2009 5:31 pm
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Thanks milxar!

Have found one more handy things with Sugarsync. You can set permission for shared folder. Not letting people take away, edit etc documents. Very handy when you share folders with "untrustable" people, like my aunt. 5 relatives shared one folders with photos from a couple of events this summer. We decided to put in all we had taken and then copy the one we wanted before delete everything. Then little aunt turned up and wanted to share it - she promised to look but don't move them. Ha, she deleted them all after a couple of weeks when she had looked enough!

Yes, I know all other good things with Dropbox, my 5 GB is nearly full!
(My referral to dropbox is not to my own full referral account, it's for a friend)

August 15, 2009 10:33 pm
mzch

mzch

Automaton Tech

from Hyogo, Japan
281 posts

Indeed, SugarSync has some limitations which Dropbox does not have.
However, as macwitty says, SugarSync has the merit of use.
For instance, SugarSync can upload/download files faster than Dropbox in my environment.

My referrals: https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=bz3wd7paweqa3

Contact me? Please see http://mch.tel/
Free online storage? Minus 10GB+1GB, Dropbox 2GB+250MB

⠅⠕⠊⠉⠓⠊⠍⠁⠞⠎⠥⠍⠕⠞⠕

August 18, 2009 2:04 am
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Interesting with the speed
From cable broadband (tried a couple) is Dropbox faster here
On mobile broadband (used different provider and countries this summer) Sugarsync have been much faster both up- and down

August 28, 2009 6:42 pm
ufretyne

ufretyne

Urchin

from Paris
9 posts

Thanks.

"Plus tu pédales moins vite, moins t'avances plus vite."

August 29, 2009 3:52 pm
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

Nice to know there is another option, but, I think I'll be sticking with dropbox for now. thx.

Facebooks Emoticons Made Easy!

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

September 6, 2009 3:06 am
MacHeist Forums » Team HQ » SugarSync free 2 GB now with 500 MB extra

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?