Forums

iOS Heist and the colour-blind

MacHeist Forums » The Heist » iOS Heist and the colour-blind
rail16

rail16

Automaton Tech

from Scotland
141 posts

Those other folks out there that are colour-blind like myself, have you found a way to solve the colour based puzzles?

I'm having a very difficult time of it other than randomly trying solutions and it's taking away from any enjoyment that I had when I first opened the app.

May 24, 2011 7:52 pm
allyorbase

allyorbase

Automaton Tech

from Honduras
178 posts

rail16 wrote:

Those other folks out there that are colour-blind like myself, have you found a way to solve the colour based puzzles?

I'm having a very difficult time of it other than randomly trying solutions and it's taking away from any enjoyment that I had when I first opened the app.

What type of color-blind are you? Can you see shades, or are colors just distorted?

And we're back!

May 24, 2011 7:54 pm
rail16

rail16

Automaton Tech

from Scotland
141 posts

allyorbase wrote:

What type of color-blind are you? Can you see shades, or are colors just distorted?

Red-Green.  I've managed to bluff my way through the first 4, but now I'm on the 5th and it's a lot harder to match the colour runes with the areas they are supposed to be on.

If the rest of the app puzzles are like this then it'll be a matter of me waiting for solutions to be posted online to copy what other folks did. And that's not fun.

May 24, 2011 7:57 pm
louienet

louienet

Urchin

from SF Bay Area
4 posts

This is certainly a problem not just in games but in business presentations with color graphs.  Perhaps an update will allow certain lines to have textures added?

May 24, 2011 8:02 pm
bdegrande

bdegrande

Sky Pirate

from Hoboken, NJ
1,241 posts

I find the light blue pieces on a dark background in the Sudoku type game impossible to see, so I'm stuck.

If you are a Dexter fan, check out The Dexter Cast podcast - iTunes  or www.thedextercast.com
Dropbox referral - We each get an extra 500MB

May 24, 2011 10:00 pm
inkpin

inkpin

Urchin

from Brighton, UK
2 posts

your not the only one thats stuck Red Green are confusing me

May 24, 2011 10:29 pm
Skunkietronic

Skunkietronic

Urchin

from San Diego, Ca
6 posts

rail16, I'm monochrome color blind and at first I was rather upset that the Ruins puzzle was color based and then the wire puzzle was as well. BUT! You don't need to do either of those puzzles to unlock the vault. You can get it unlocked with the first and third puzzles (blocks and robot) perfectly fine. smile

Hope that helps from one color blind person, to another. smile

Catch me on Twitter

May 24, 2011 10:31 pm
Gordon1470

Gordon1470

Automaton Tech

from Bloomington, IL
403 posts

OH MY GOD YES

Seriously, I'm red-green CB, and those colour-based sudoku puzzles are hell for me. Good news is, they're working on it: https://twitter.com/phillryu/status/73087145841139713

The Master would not approve.

May 25, 2011 12:25 am
Skunkietronic

Skunkietronic

Urchin

from San Diego, Ca
6 posts

Good to know Phill is taking this into consideration for an update.

Catch me on Twitter

May 25, 2011 1:30 am
sturgidson

sturgidson

Automaton Tech

from Alger via Paree via NY via WY
115 posts

I'm NOT colorblind (in fact, I don't even have glasses), and these runes are brutal to see. They've given me a headache, in fact. The color contrast is a mess, the icon size is too small, the BG textures, while cool, are practically self-defeating..., and... well, yeah. Halfway through, I said to my wife: mercy on anybody who is CB or who is hard of sight- this is among the most brutal puzzle games I've seen...

Orange: No... Seriously.

May 25, 2011 3:28 am
kingkaramel

kingkaramel

Automaton Tech

from Germany
415 posts

Weak form of deuteranopia over here. Enough to make it difficult though...

May 25, 2011 4:28 am
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

sturgidson wrote:

I'm NOT colorblind (in fact, I don't even have glasses), and these runes are brutal to see.

Have you ever been formally tested? I've known a few people that didn't know thy were colourblind until well into their adulthood. Also, daltonism can come in a milder form making it harder to diagnose.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

May 25, 2011 5:41 am

loopyduck

Tinkerer

10 posts

Definitely not colorblind, but once you get to 9x9 the runes are a total pain to keep track of, taking into account the variety and size. I guess I could use pencil and paper but that feels like cheating!

May 25, 2011 5:44 am
falsoman

falsoman

Automaton Tech

from México
331 posts

Yeah, I have to agree that some of these symbols need a contrast boost, or something, because light blue and yellow over gray can become quite difficult to see once you get to the later levels.

Stream your music and videos to your iPhone and Ipad for free with ZumoCast
Get up to 8.25 GB of free space with DropBox
Unlimited hosting, traffic and a bunch of other features with Dreamhost

May 25, 2011 5:47 am

ictoanen

Urchin

1 posts

I am also colorblind and while the ruin game is OK (though I've only finished the first 4) for me it is the connect-the-wires game that is a total nightmare. I hope it will be addressed in the update!

May 25, 2011 11:38 am
phillryu

phillryu

1,569 posts

Gah, if you guys only knew of the countless revisions we spent trying to enhance contrast on the Sudoku stones tongue Really tricky to do with the variety of colors and sand and stones. But we'll definitely try to think on solutions.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

May 25, 2011 11:48 am

alonzo

Automaton Tech

from Nowhere
272 posts

maybe you could make a small initial letter on the stones for each color?

May 25, 2011 12:30 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

Hey guys, not sure how well this will work as I can't really test it, but try this:

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Triple-click Home, then select Toggle White on Black.

Then when you triple-click the home button, it inverts the colors which should help because red and green will be cyan and purple respectively. You might have to switch back and forth between the two modes at times depending on what colors are present if others change to red/green. Hope this helps, at least until they get to updating the app itself.

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

May 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Brechtbrecht

Urchin

from Zeist
1 posts

I'm also colour-blind, but I did open the safe, I just did the first 4 sudoku's and the first four line-connector things. Then I did almost all of the other ones, which are not colour related.

May 25, 2011 2:44 pm
rail16

rail16

Automaton Tech

from Scotland
141 posts

phillryu wrote:

Gah, if you guys only knew of the countless revisions we spent trying to enhance contrast on the Sudoku stones tongue Really tricky to do with the variety of colors and sand and stones. But we'll definitely try to think on solutions.

Thanks for taking the time to address this for us mutant colour-blind folks smile and thank you as well for working to consider a solution.

WIthout having a colour-blind person to play guinea pig during the testing phase it can be difficult to gauge how the colours will affect other users/players.

Good luck!

May 25, 2011 3:28 pm
sturgidson

sturgidson

Automaton Tech

from Alger via Paree via NY via WY
115 posts

Miah wrote:
sturgidson wrote:

I'm NOT colorblind (in fact, I don't even have glasses), and these runes are brutal to see.

Have you ever been formally tested? I've known a few people that didn't know thy were colourblind until well into their adulthood. Also, daltonism can come in a milder form making it harder to diagnose.

Yeah, I actually have. it also plays an important role in my career, so I keep pretty active tabs on it (film/video post production, including color correction). That said, my eye sight is one of the decent things I have left in my age...

Orange: No... Seriously.

May 25, 2011 7:28 pm
falsoman

falsoman

Automaton Tech

from México
331 posts

phillryu wrote:

Sorry i'm lazy today, so I hope my description helps enough...

There's a kinda simple way to make the stones work with colorblined people no mater how many colors do you use... you could put a couple of lines carved into the bottom, top, left, whatever of the stones only on certain colors. just enough to make a noticable difference...

You could also invert some of the stones... make them all color, and black glyphs. That way you can play more with the contrasts and have all nine color combinations.

Some of the stones could get a sensation of being "taller" meaning more in the Z axis.. maybe project a longer shadow.

Stream your music and videos to your iPhone and Ipad for free with ZumoCast
Get up to 8.25 GB of free space with DropBox
Unlimited hosting, traffic and a bunch of other features with Dreamhost

May 26, 2011 4:49 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

I don't think I'm colour blind but I have been having trouble of some of the sudoku puzzles between the varying shades of blue & green.

I've done all but 4 as of this morning, they're still achievable, but even more of a challenge.

We have 3 iphone with The Heist on now as my requests for help on colours has sparked interest in the game from my wife & my son (who doesn't have a Mac).

I'm just saying that although they are more more difficult, the puzzles are still solveable with limited colour perception.

May 26, 2011 6:09 am
DavidEmersonPXC

DavidEmersonPXC

Urchin

1 posts

I'm r/g color blind myself. If the game allowed you to place stones in a spot that broke the rules I think it would be more of a problem. As it was, I just guessed at the color and tried to drop it in that area. If I was wrong, the stone got kicked out. Not ideal, but it was workable.

The wires puzzles were more of a challenge when it came to differentiating colors, but their overall complexity was simple enough that it also was manageable.

Take pride, color blind peoples! We're solving tougher puzzles.

May 26, 2011 7:59 pm

jhb5401

Urchin

from Naples, FL
1 posts

Why not just use different shaped stones for each color.
And for the lines puzzle you could use different line types, dashes, dots, etc.

May 27, 2011 1:22 am
Stan2.0

Stan2.0

Automaton Tech

from Germany
118 posts

I've got the very same problem...red-green color blindness. I've basically given up on some of the puzzles because they are just impossible for me to solve.

Actually I'm quite surprised that you haven't thought about this during development. Most of the larger game studios know about this problem. Look at PopCap Games, for instance – all their games contain an option for people with color-blindness.

I really hope you do something to remove that barrier for us. Putting in shapes or letters as indicators would be sufficient. You could also just make it an option and only show if someone really wants to use it.

Follow me on Twitter

June 8, 2011 3:28 pm
rail16

rail16

Automaton Tech

from Scotland
141 posts

Hate to rehash an old topic but I didn't see the need to create a new one when this one addresses the same.

Colour-blindness has come up again for myself and has made these games much harder than it would be for a normal sighted person.

The 2nd nano Heist I had issues with the sudoku/paint puzzle. The same styled puzzle I had issues with during the first iOS app heist.

This morning I had issues right off with the start of the Heist 2. I had thought I would seeing far enough ahead at the start of Heist 1 by seeing the "Simon Says" style door.

My wife and I started the Heist this morning and I did not see any of the colour shifting that happened with the film at the start. So I spent a stupid amount of time trying to find some reference to what the pattern would be.

My wife saw my frustration and helped out by telling me the answer. Even with her telling me when the shifts happened, I did not see them.

And going back to the sudoku/paint puzzle it came up again during this Heist. I didn't say anything about it during the nano 2 because I had hoped it was a one off puzzle.

Again I had to wait for my wife to assist me in a fairly logical puzzle.

I don't know what the answer as I am sure all the puzzles for this Heist have been written and I expect to come across more colour based puzzles.

During the next three years while you work on MacHeist 5 try and find some logic puzzles that do not rely on colour.

September 27, 2012 12:01 pm
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

from a frog flu resistant land.
1,904 posts

Or could maybe have the colours initial letter (G = green for example) somewhere in the clue. Or maybe not as it would make things too obvious to those with no colour issues. sad

Maybe cleverer minds than mine can think of a way. Also, might be worth punching out a ticket in the support tab ?

smile From a spam free, orange team, land smile

September 27, 2012 12:18 pm
j3snyder

j3snyder

Big Game Hunter

from Yerington, NV
988 posts

rail16 wrote:

During the next three years while you work on MacHeist 5 try and find some logic puzzles that do not rely on colour.

The painting puzzles are actually my favorite, but it would be good for a color blind version, as that seems to be a common enough problem.

Referrals for your consideration:
Dropbox:  https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1N … src=global

September 27, 2012 6:35 pm

youtubersuper

Urchin

1 posts

Очень полезная фраза

[youtube]1qt0XUk3AUI[/youtube]

December 27, 2017 6:46 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Heist » iOS Heist and the colour-blind

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?